Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
goal kick
goal kick
I have been away for a while, but I must say it does not surprise me that Bluffton is suspended for fighting. When my high school played Bluffton their players were more concerned with fouling and having dirty plays off the ball than actually playing soccer. It was very aggravating to play them, throughout the game I told their players just to play soccer. Maybe this suspension happening to Bluffton will settle their players down and their true talent can come out because they truly are a talented team.

Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic.
goal kick
goal kick
I did not see it here, but both schools had players suspended from playing ALL sports this year. over 20 players from each school were suspended for 2 games. I dont think thats enough.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
sounds like they need a coach who can instill discipline in them

C
kick off
kick off
C
I am the current coach at Bluffton High School. Last season was my first season with the team. There had actually been an improvement in discipline until that final match. I do not condone the actions in the Airport came at all. Anyone at the game can agree with me. I had the players apologize the the ref. and kicked one player off the team for good. The other individual was graduating. I accept the ban and feel that it is a good lesson for the boys. We had a good season up to that last game and while it is unfortunate that the final game overshadowed our season, I still do not condone the actions of those players. That is not the type of program I want to run and I am taking all the neccessary steps to making those changes. It unfortunately takes more than 1 season to implement my methods. To get everyone on the same page, we are banned from post-season playoffs, any tournaments or jamborees. Good luck to all in the upcoming season.

Best Reguards,

Coach Cook

S
Brace
Brace
S
I was an assistant coach for Airport in this match last year. Other than the last play, it was a very clean and exciting match. Although one or two players crossed the line with their attitudes, the rest of the team did not. What most people do not know was that the entire Blufton team and both coaches were trying to restrain the player that pushed the ref. Afterward every single player on that team apologized to the Airport players and wished them luck in the playoffs, the Blufton fans did the same.

It's easy to pick on teams that we just "hear the story about" on scsoccer but unless you were there, you really can't understand. If Coach Cook says the ban is probably for the best for his team, then nothing else really needs to be said on the subject. I also agree that it takes a while to fix major discipline problems and with a new coach it does not happen over night. It was about 5 months ago so we should all forget the past and look forward to a great year of soccer ahead of us!

M
throw in
throw in
M
Kum Bah Ya.....

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Kum Bah Ya? C'mon, are you seriously poking fun at a coach for not kicking another program while its down?

At the risk of attracting the attention of any witty commentators, I'll go ahead and add that Coach Cook has done a remarkable job of instilling discipline and respect in his team and players. I realize that much good can be overshadowed and even undone by one bad incident (and the incident was bad), but soccer2103's point making broad assumptions based on limited facts is valid and admirable.

Lastly, with all due respect to Coach Cook and his acceptance of the penalty, I'm going to go ahead and say unequivocably that the decision by the SCHSL was just wrong. If the SCHSL wants to "send a strong message", then first identify the problem (if any), then tailor the message to address the problem, and then "send a strong message". Mr. Greene's wreckless and ignorant comment that "we have more problems with soccer than any other sport" demonstrate that the action by SCHSL was a knee-jerk reaction that is not based in fact, sound reasoning or any probability that a problem will be remedied.

Of course, it may be unfair to Judge Mr. Greene or the SCHSL based on one comment or action - perhaps I should look at the comment or action in context, determine if it is indicative of a larger problem that has a probability of repeating and then comment appropriately.

C
kick off
kick off
C
Thank you for all of your support. Between the death of our captain, Josh George, and the recent ban, we have large lesson to learn that goes beyond the game. I refuse to give up on my guys and will continue to work on the discipline issue as well as any other experiences we may encounter. Thank you again and good luck this coming season.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Quote:

Quote:

Is there any proof to his statement??? Or is it that every little thing that happens in our sport, they blow it up as a big issue?

Good question!

Will it change? Probably not in my lifetime, but the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches has worked diligently at relaying this message at various levels with the SCHSL, the S.C. Athletic Coaches Association, etc. However, an AD or Principal with 30 years under his belt and who probably was reluctant to add soccer in the first place at their school -- note, Mullins has not won a boys soccer match in at least five years (2004-08) -- and you are going to get some backlash whether it is deserved or not.

I'm not blaming anyone in this matter, but it is something that coaches, players, parents, fans, and referees need to be cognizant of and an area in which needs to be addressed and worked on even more by people involved with 'our game'. If you have any suggestions, please list them in this thread.

I know I've been MIA for a while, but this topic struck me as a good homecoming opportunity as I have personal experience in this area..

Plain and simple, more parents, ex-players, non-SCHSL coaches, school representatives, and maybe some JOURNALISTS need to get INFORMED and INVOLVED in promoting soccer culture awareness.

It is pretty disheartening for the league's soccer coaches association to have a proposal that is backed by 80+ percent of its members voted down UNANIMOUSLY by their parent association.

Coaches can't do all the work, as their livelihood relies on these "Neanderthals" (which doesn't help soccer/SCHSL relations) athletic directors. Coaches need the public to back their proposals and initiatives.

Alumni groups, Booster clubs, etc...

All it takes is a newsletter (via Myspace, Facebook, e-mail list serve, etc...) asking for assistance. Coordinate and act.

Last year Lugoff-Elgin alumni had some issues with the athletic director who was telling the new principal some inaccuracies about the approval process. A weeks worth of phone calls, e-mails, and headaches was all it took to insure that everyone was well informed and that there would be no doubt in the future about whether a match/refs/etc should be scheduled.

I can go on and on about this, but the point is, we have to utilize our resources. This site alone has helped bring SC soccer out of the dark ages, now the SC soccer community needs to help the guys at the top.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard