Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup

Both the Men and Women schedules are listed -- http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_8552449.html

No Messi for Argentina in China
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26050253/

world cup
world cup
My local paper also indicated that the womens match would be broadcast on MSNBC at 7:30 this morning.

Did anybody see the match? It wasn't on my MSNBC!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Quote:

My local paper also indicated that the womens match would be broadcast on MSNBC at 7:30 this morning.

Did anybody see the match? It wasn't on my MSNBC!

The U.S. was down 2-0 to Norway in the first five minutes. Follow it here -- http://www.ussoccer.com/index.jsp.html

Brace
Brace
I don't know who's hair is worse? Balboa or Chastain.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I got you one better... I actually viewed the game on the internet for free

Just downlaod the file Silverfish or something like that It will ask you for information on your local stations

I am trying to get the link... BTW US lost 2-0 ...two really bad defensive mistakes

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I am having problems in downloading the NBC site to get the link.

Go to NBC.com
select NBC sports
Select Beijing Olympics
Select Live event ( or something like that)
select the event you want
download the software
answer the questions
you are on...

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
i watched the game on msnbc, it showed it at the beach...anyways, the goals were poor decisions by the U.S. and norway just took advantage. the US did not look sharp and began to play very direct and forcing things to happen instead of playing possession and moving the ball and creating things. norway was very good, they settled into the game and created counters and locked down defensively. hopefully the US will rebound and begin to play better the rest of the olympics, they have new zealand and japan left and they should win those games.
FIY, a player for Coastal Carolina Women's Team, Emily McColl is playing for the New Zealand team. She played 11 minutes during the game vs. Japan where they tied 2-2. She played in the World Cup last year.

brace
brace
I have a soccer channel entirely dedicated to Olympic soccer in HD from Charter. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Cat, thanks for leaving us pawing at a thread!! How about coughing up more than a fur ball!!

Brace
Brace
US 0:0 Japan

First Half Observations -- Japan should be up on the U.S. Brad Guzan has been busy! The set piece on their first corner was excellent. Balboa tripped yet again as he called Japan "China" on two successive occasions. U.S. outside midfield play must improve. Edu has done well in the back, but he's about it. U.S. is fortunate the game is level at the break.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
Brace
Brace
US 1:0 Japan (Full Time)

Second Half Observations -- I thought that the U.S. (Edu) got away with two "could-have-been" penalties. In fairness, I thought Adu got fouled earlier in the box as well. Good start in the first minute of the half on Holden's goal and really the only on-goal opportunity of the match for the U.S. Japan created many more anxious moments throughout the match. U.S. fortunate to get the three points.

Should be interesting between the Netherlands and Nigeria.

Brace
Brace
A gripe, if I may ... where was the US Soccer logo on the shirts? I would imagine every other team in the competition has their country's crest on their chest!

world cup
world cup
I have to call my local cable company and find out why I can't get these matches on my MSNBC.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
My Charter has ADDED two HD Olympic-only channels for basketball and soccer.

In the Upstate, the soccer is on 757, but these channels just appeared and we ran across them accidentally.

Watching men's action today. . .Argentina on now. . .

brace
brace
OK—

Go here:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/index.html

Here, you should be able to choose where you are (zip code), then select your TV source, and then you will get personalized TV channel listings where everything is. . .

For Charter (digital), there are many channels, etc, but the nice feature is after you make your choices, everything is personalized for you.

Brace
Brace
Group A
Australia 1:1 Serbia
Argentina 2:1 Ivory Coast

Group B
USA 1:0 Japan
Netherlands 0:0 Nigeria

Group C
Brazil 1:0 Belgium
China 1:1 New Zealand

Group D
Italy 3:0 Honduras
South Korea 1:1 Cameroon

NBC Beijing Summer Olympics - Men's Soccer

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
hurst... you got to give this a try
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=fb2h-bj-sd14-080608-193652

You install microsoft silverfish and you can view any event free
if you select the enhanced button you can have up to 4 events on the same screen and you can switch back and forth

No commentary however,... some may say that is a good thing.

world cup
world cup
futbol,

I appreciate it. I watched the on-line feed of the womens game you posted yesterday. Thanks.

I'm still waiting for my cable company to return my call on why I can't get the games on my TV.

goal
goal
Japan had a lot of good opportunities to score but just couldn't. They were killing the USA on the the right side of the pitch, serving in great balls but just could not finish.

I also believe that the US got lucky to survive with the three points but a win is a win. Good way to start off with a W.

Last edited by The Real Henry; 08/07/08 06:03 PM.
brace
brace
Hurst66—

Did you see my post above with the Olympics link where you can see what channels you should have available? That may help you. . .good luck. . .

world cup
world cup
Thanks Cat.

Today's game was on at 5 AM and I thought it was on at 7 AM. Perhaps it was already over by the time I turned the TV on to MSNBC.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
It's all about finishing - Norway had two opportunities and finished, Japan had 3 or 4 great opportunities and couldn't finish. A coaches nightmare.
It's funny how Adu gets knocked down and Balboa says he should play through the contact, but the Japan player falls over and we got away with one. I thought Adu was getting raped out there, but no calls, whereas McBride got a call just about everytime he went down. Must be the style. Edu and Wynne played very good games, I thought.
Not happy with Florence TWC not showing the 'just Olympic' channels, this after I got an email from TWC boastin how they were - in North Carolina.

Coach Cady GSSM
world cup
world cup
Comporium Communications called me to apologize, and thanked me for making them aware that they basically forgot to throw the switch in order to pick up the games on MSNBC.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Coach Cady....

My wife just got off the phone with TWC -Columbia. Supposedly they have reprogrammed my box from their end to send me the feed once it comes back on.

Don’t know if it will help but try giving them a call.

tk

Tony King
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Comporium Communications called me to apologize, and thanked me for making them aware that they basically forgot to throw the switch in order to pick up the games on MSNBC.

comporium will raise their rates now thanks to you Hurst

world cup
world cup
I dropped call waiting and voicemail last week.

Took $120/year out of Comporium's pocket!

world cup
world cup
USA 2
Holland 2

"The wall is supposed to jump".

Balboa said it three times.

What should we be teaching our players to do:
1. Jump when you are in the wall defending a relatively straight-on direct kick from 22 yards?
2. Aim to shoot directly under the wall because you know every player is going to jump?

I'm confused?

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Last-minute goal stuns U.S. in 2-2 tie
http://www.nbcolympics.com/soccer/news/newsid=191363.html#last+minute+goal+stuns+u+s

Americans overcome early deficit, but Dutch draw even in extra time

The Americans fell into a tie atop Group B with Nigeria with four points each, two better than the Netherlands. Only two teams advance from the group stage and the Americans face Nigeria on Wednesday, Aug. 13 the final day of group play. The U.S. will be without Adu and defensive midfielder Michael Bradley, both of whom drew their second yellow card in two games, automatically suspending both for the next match.

If the Americans should tie Nigeria and the Netherlands defeat Japan, Japan would be the only team in the group without five points in the standings. As the remaining sides would each have tied each other, goal differential and then the number of goals scored would be used to decide which two teams advance to the single-elimination quarterfinal round.

As a result, regarldess of the Dutch result against Japan, the U.S. will advance with a tie, as the Americans have already scored more goals (three) than Nigeria, which defeated Japan 2-1 today after playing to a scoreless tie against the Dutch on Thursday.

Brace
Brace
At the half:

GroupB
Nigeria 1:0 USA
Netherlands 0:0 Japan

GroupD
South Korea 1:0 Honduras
Cameroon 0:0 Italy

Brace
Brace
After a furious finish, the U.S. bows out of the Olympics with a 2-1 loss to Nigeria. You have to wonder where Charlie Davies for much of the match?

The Netherlands defeated Japan 1-0 forcing the U.S. to fight for the draw.

Poor, costly decision by Michael Orozco in the 4th minute really put the U.S. in a terrible predicament.

Ugh!

world cup
world cup
I guess Michael Bradley didn't play after taking that intentional yellow card at the end of the Netherlands match, so his slate would be wiped clean for the knockout round.

I guess that didn't work out too well.

goal
goal
Tough break for the boys. They played well, considering a red card in the first 4 minutes. Nigeria is extremely quick and have a lot of pace. It was fun watching them.

Charlie Davies definitely brought the spark. That header was beautiful, unfortunately hitting the crossbar.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
The red card was a flagrant dive. Wish they could review the film and keep the Nigerian player out of the next round.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Was there any true explanation why neither the men or women US squads wore the 'US Soccer shield' on their uniforms for the Olympics?

Brace
Brace
BI - Some explanations offered via NY Times:

#7.
August 13th, 2008 6:30 am

Because the rules of the olmpic states that clothes warn by individuals and teams representing there countries must not carry the empblem of the respective sports associations.
Its the same reason why the Brazilian Squad had to change their earlier jerseys cause it had the Brazilain F.A crest on it.

— Posted by Tayo

#8.
August 13th, 2008
6:33 am

And just to respond to my own post before someone picks me up on it - Nigeria have their national crest on their shirts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Nigeria) and not the usual Nigerian FA logo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_national_football _team). I wouldn’t be surprised if this stemmed from the days when Olympic football was an amateur only event, where teams represented their country and not the relevant football association or senior men’s professional team.

— Posted by Foxhill

#9.
August 13th, 2008
6:36 am

IOC rules - no federation badges allowed on the uniforms, only country flags. Sponsor logos are ok…go figure.

— Posted by good morning

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
The crest was still on their jersey but it looked as if some material was sewn over it to cover it up; or maybe it was removed and was patched up to cover up damage to the jersey. Really noticeable on Angela Hucles jersey, maybe coming off, not sure.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Women's Quarterfinals
U.S. 2-1 (OT) Canada

L
Goal
Goal
L
wow, not a real good showing by the wnt but impressive that they still got the win. i know the weather delay made it more difficult and hopefully they got all of the ball watching, not moving off the ball and kicking too much out of their systems.

does Rodriguez have a left foot? she could have won in regulation if shot w/her left.

also, hard to watch after seeing the brazil ladies playing the beautiful game.

Last edited by letmeputittooyouthisway; 08/15/08 03:52 PM.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Talking about uniforms and crests, etc., did you notice the numbers on the US men's jerseys during the Netherlands game? I saw Marvell's number coming off. I went to the US Soccer web page and looked at other pictures. Here's the link, look at Sacha's number 1 (from 16). http://www.ussoccer.com/sights/email.jsp_717-15-PG.html Sort of gives the team the third world feel, eh? And I thought we had a quality program!

Coach Cady GSSM
world cup
world cup
Brazil's women with an impressive 4-1 victory over Germany this morning.

What time is the US - Japan women's semi-final being played today?

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
I believe they said game will be shown at 9 a.m. on MSNBC.

world cup
world cup
Thanks. Should be a good one.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Semifinals

HALFTIME - USA 2-1 Japan
Goals: (J) Ohno 16'; (U) Hucles 41'; (U) Chalupny 44'.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Final score, USA 4-2 Japan. The United States will face Brazil in the Finals.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard