Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Brace
Brace
After a furious finish, the U.S. bows out of the Olympics with a 2-1 loss to Nigeria. You have to wonder where Charlie Davies for much of the match?

The Netherlands defeated Japan 1-0 forcing the U.S. to fight for the draw.

Poor, costly decision by Michael Orozco in the 4th minute really put the U.S. in a terrible predicament.

Ugh!

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
world cup
world cup
I guess Michael Bradley didn't play after taking that intentional yellow card at the end of the Netherlands match, so his slate would be wiped clean for the knockout round.

I guess that didn't work out too well.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal
goal
Tough break for the boys. They played well, considering a red card in the first 4 minutes. Nigeria is extremely quick and have a lot of pace. It was fun watching them.

Charlie Davies definitely brought the spark. That header was beautiful, unfortunately hitting the crossbar.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
The red card was a flagrant dive. Wish they could review the film and keep the Nigerian player out of the next round.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Was there any true explanation why neither the men or women US squads wore the 'US Soccer shield' on their uniforms for the Olympics?

Brace
Brace
BI - Some explanations offered via NY Times:

#7.
August 13th, 2008 6:30 am

Because the rules of the olmpic states that clothes warn by individuals and teams representing there countries must not carry the empblem of the respective sports associations.
Its the same reason why the Brazilian Squad had to change their earlier jerseys cause it had the Brazilain F.A crest on it.

— Posted by Tayo

#8.
August 13th, 2008
6:33 am

And just to respond to my own post before someone picks me up on it - Nigeria have their national crest on their shirts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Nigeria) and not the usual Nigerian FA logo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_national_football _team). I wouldn’t be surprised if this stemmed from the days when Olympic football was an amateur only event, where teams represented their country and not the relevant football association or senior men’s professional team.

— Posted by Foxhill

#9.
August 13th, 2008
6:36 am

IOC rules - no federation badges allowed on the uniforms, only country flags. Sponsor logos are ok…go figure.

— Posted by good morning

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
The crest was still on their jersey but it looked as if some material was sewn over it to cover it up; or maybe it was removed and was patched up to cover up damage to the jersey. Really noticeable on Angela Hucles jersey, maybe coming off, not sure.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Women's Quarterfinals
U.S. 2-1 (OT) Canada

L
Goal
Goal
L
wow, not a real good showing by the wnt but impressive that they still got the win. i know the weather delay made it more difficult and hopefully they got all of the ball watching, not moving off the ball and kicking too much out of their systems.

does Rodriguez have a left foot? she could have won in regulation if shot w/her left.

also, hard to watch after seeing the brazil ladies playing the beautiful game.

Last edited by letmeputittooyouthisway; 08/15/08 03:52 PM.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Talking about uniforms and crests, etc., did you notice the numbers on the US men's jerseys during the Netherlands game? I saw Marvell's number coming off. I went to the US Soccer web page and looked at other pictures. Here's the link, look at Sacha's number 1 (from 16). http://www.ussoccer.com/sights/email.jsp_717-15-PG.html Sort of gives the team the third world feel, eh? And I thought we had a quality program!

Coach Cady GSSM
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard