Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#108119 08/07/08 11:00 AM
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
I've often said that the US won't be competitive on the global pitch until the kids who grew up playing.....start coaching and the kids they coach grow to be of international age.

We often talk and dismiss "Dad" coaches becasue so many of them/us never played and while earnest at learning....taking coaching classes and attaining USSF or NSCAA certification...perhaps never really grasp the nuances or subtleties of the game.

So I find it very pleasing and positive when I see young kids fresh out of school start coaching. Locally we have two young ladies in York county who both wrapped up collegiate careers this past year and are nwo moving into their professional lives as teachers. And coaches. To see them on the pitch teaching young kids...and knowing that at least one will be with HS kids in the Spring as well (come on Rock Hill....where are you!!) gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Note....none of these kids are mine, but I'd claim them in a heartbeat.

I guess my question is.......where are the young men coaches to be? We need talented young guys also....who are th young men who are perhaps rising juniors or seniors in college that are desiring to coach at the club/school level?

Big Daddy #108120 08/07/08 11:26 AM
H
brace
brace
H
big daddy, in the case of one of the schools you mentioned i think it is the not understanding of soccer and it not being high up on this schools priority list that has them sitting on their hands and not making this young lady coach.they just look for someone to fill the job and they are happy with that no matter of soccer knowledge or not.
i do understand that there may be a coach in place that is giving their time to coach the team and you just dont discard them but come on.you have soccer people within your system now that you have never had so why not use them.
i have contacted through e-mail both AD's with no response.there has also been someone high up in the district let them know of this young lady.maybe she will get the chance to help ?

Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 08/07/08 11:28 AM.
Big Daddy #108121 08/07/08 11:30 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I have noticed over the last season or two..new coaches male and female coaches in our area that look to be in their mid twenties so I think this is starting to happen..

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

Mrs. Hurst says that young ladies mature a little quicker than young men. The guys will give their time after they are done partying, get married, and have kids.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Marcus
Educators look at smaller sports differently than..let's say football!! ADs will travel across the state to find a football coach but will only look down the hallway to fill a soccer job..In the old days we use to have coaches that taught but their main concern was coaching..Today educators look for a teacher first and a coach second..

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Marcus
Educators look at smaller sports differently than..let's say football!! ADs will travel across the state to find a football coach but will only look down the hallway to fill a soccer job..In the old days we use to have coaches that taught but their main concern was coaching..Today educators look for a teacher first and a coach second..

i like the idea of finding teachers first.the kids education is more important than any sport.this one young lady falls right in that catagory you have described.she was hired at a middle school within the district as a teacher.(her school is across the street from the high school)so now that she has been hired first as a teacher why not hire her as a coach.

Hard Headed #108125 08/07/08 12:31 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
My guess would be tenure or how long has she been teaching and last but not least..What studies does she teach? These questions come up first before any word of soccer..I have no problem with an educator coaching soccer if the educator has atleast played the game

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
since the title of this thread is fresh blood and I feel we might hi jack Big Daddy's thread maybe this person would be interested in coaching club ball

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

My guess would be tenure or how long has she been teaching and last but not least..What studies does she teach? These questions come up first before any word of soccer..I have no problem with an educator coaching soccer if the educator has atleast played the game

i dont think we are hijaking BD thread because i think his post comes from another.
im not sure why how long someone has been teaching and what subject they teach has to do with making them a coach.as far as have they played, the person would have played and have more knowledge of the game than anyone ever has at this school.on the girls side and maybe even the boys side.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

since the title of this thread is fresh blood and I feel we might hi jack Big Daddy's thread maybe this person would be interested in coaching club ball

i think she may have already or will be involved with club ball in the area.

Hard Headed #108129 08/07/08 01:57 PM
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Both young ladies ARE coaching club this Fall. And one of them will be a JV coach starting in the Spring.

As both are very bright and career oriented, I would say without question they were hired FIRST as teachers. Obviously since the one in RH isn't coaching at the school level thats clear.

Rock Hill and Southpointe have struggled on the girls side bigtime.....I would think the school AD would be all over themselves trying to rope her in......just as the Nation Ford AD did when he learned what he had dropping into his lap. Whats the word? Serendipity?

Big Daddy #108130 08/07/08 05:19 PM
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Both young ladies ARE coaching club this Fall. And one of them will be a JV coach starting in the Spring.

As both are very bright and career oriented, I would say without question they were hired FIRST as teachers. Obviously since the one in RH isn't coaching at the school level thats clear.

Rock Hill and Southpointe have struggled on the girls side bigtime.....I would think the school AD would be all over themselves trying to rope her in......just as the Nation Ford AD did when he learned what he had dropping into his lap. Whats the word? Serendipity?

from what i am told the rock hill AD was trying to contact her this morning.looks like she may be some sort of spot for her after all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard