Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
S
One of the biggest games in Battery history is tonight in the USOC semifinal vs. Seattle. The winner advances to the USOC final against either New England or DC United (who also play tonight). The winner of the USOC gets an invitation to the new CONCACAF Champions League which, for the Battery, could mean some serious paychecks.

Here's the preview in the paper today: Bringing it home: Battery one win from final berth

You can actually watch the match online at USLlive.com....but why would you want to when you can see it in person and be a part of history?

http://usl.playonsports.tv/ (look on the right hand side for the link to the match....it's not there now as I type this but it should appear sometime before KO)

world cup
world cup
I'm here. First time at Blackbaud for a Battery match.

Hoping I can get a look at the Three Lions after the match!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
Envious that I could not attend tonight, but we started back at school (work) today.

Currently 1:1 at the end of regulation, heading to overtime. Watching on USLlive.com and listening to Andrew Bell.

Go Battery!

Last edited by Kevin Heise; 08/13/08 01:26 AM.
World Cup
World Cup
The other Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal -- DC United 3:1 New England Revolution

Final will be on September 3.

D.C. United will play host to the final if they and Charleston are victorious; if Seattle wins, United will travel to Qwest Field.

In either case, the final would be played Sept. 3.

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...p&team=t103

World Cup
World Cup
Charleston 1:1 Seattle (end of OT)

Penalty Kick Shootout

Charleston: (Hudock GK) - 1-1-0-1-1

Seattle: (Eylander GK) - 1-0-1-1-0

4:3 Battery via PKs!!!

world cup
world cup
Good game, Seattle's goal was an own goal. Weather was not great, first time I've seen rain in a long time. Stadium is fantastic, Three Lions Pub is unbelievable....a museum that serves both Harp and Yeungling on tap!

Many thanks to the father of my daughter's college teammate and to the Summerville resident coaching the U-17 Girls Bridge team.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
S
We were in E10 (standing) all evening...wish I could have met you Hurst.

Seattle is a lot like the Battery. Very organized...very few mistakes...smart...patient. We had played them 3 times already, each taking a 1-0 victory and a 1-1 draw. So you knew it was going to be tight. Own goal by Seneca native and former Clemson All American forward Johnny Wilson gave Seattle a precious early lead in about the 10'. Battery went flat for 5-10 minutes but bounced back and controlled the rest of the half and got the equalizer by UNC-G alumni Randi Patterson. Fairly even/back and forth the rest of the way. Dusty simply took charge during the PKs stopping 2. Not too shabby for a guy who turns 36 next month.

The Battery play DC United at RFK stadium on Wednesday, Sept. 3. Watch for details, I think the club will arrange some kind of transportation package for fans to attend the match. Everyone from SC needs to support this, its simply good soccer PR for the entire state. Go Battery!

P.S. The winner of the US Open Cup gets to participate in the new CONCACAF Champions League which could bring some major club teams (i.e. Mexican) to SC for big time matches. Can you imagine the real Mexican Chivas, America, etc. playing at cozy Blackbaud?

World Cup
World Cup
My e-mail to Teddy Heffner of AM-1400s "Talking Sports", which airs daily in the Midlands (and internet) from 7-10 a.m.

Quote:

Teddy -

What a night for soccer in the Palmetto State and The State newspaper doesn't feel like it needs to be covered. They'll send someone outside of the Midlands to cover USC and Clemson, along with golf, but the braintrust won't send a reporter 115 miles to cover the largest pro soccer event ever in South Carolina. Go figure!

The Charleston Battery and Seattle Sounders battled to a 1-1 draw at Blackbaud Stadium on Daniel Island and the host team edged the visitors 4-3 in a penalty kick shootout before a crowd of 3,798.

The USL First Division leading Battery will play DC United, of Major League Soccer, at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., on September 3 for the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.

This is the equivalent of a AAA baseball team getting a chance to take on the New York Yankees, because DC United is the most successful professional soccer franchise in the United States with four MLS Cup titles, four runner-up finishes in MLS, and one US Open Cup championship.

Charleston becomes the first USL side to reach the US Open Cup finals since the Rochester Rhinos captured the title in 1999.

P.S. -- Great job by Battery president Andrew Bell on the USL webcast. For those that aren't able to make it down to the Port City, I highly recommend tuning into this option - it's a first rate broadcast.

Link Copied to Clipboard