August 20, 2008

Furman’s Murray Named to Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy Watch List

Greenville, S.C. -- Furman senior Patrick Murray was one of 48 NCAA Division I men’s soccer players named to the Missouri Athletic Club’s 2008 Hermann Trophy Watch List, it was announced this week by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.

Murray, who garnered NSCAA All-South Region first team honors in 2007, tallied a Southern Conference leading 13 assists and added two goals to help the Paladins claim both the SoCon regular season and tournament titles on their way to an NCAA Tournament second round appearance a year ago. The Peachtree City, Ga., product also earned first team All-SoCon accolades and first team NSCAA Scholar All-American accolades as a junior.

Considered the highest individual honor in intercollegiate soccer, the recipients of the MAC’s Hermann Trophy are selected by Division I head coaches who are current members of the National Soccer Coaches Association of America. A list of 15 semifinalists is selected by a coaches committee
in November, with three finalists announced in early December. They will be invited to the Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis, Mo., for a news conference on Jan. 9, 2009, where the winner will be announced, with a
presentation banquet following.

Furman, ranked No. 20 in the College Soccer News Preseason Top 30, opens its 2008 regular season August 31, when it travels to Wilmington, N.C., to face the UNC Wilmington Seahawks.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"