Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

None of the above. Just send her to the CESA combine, let the CESA DOCs make a few phone calls and she will never have to kick a ball again......it will all fall into place.

No, that's not what you should do at all.

What you should do is go to CASL for the women's showcase. There you can be with the 90 (that's right, 90) U-17 women's team that were accepted last year. You'll play one game on Friday, one on Sat. and one on Sun. Hopefully Fordham will choose to watch half of one of your games. Of course, that is only if you are lucky enough to be at WRAL.

By the way, this EXCLUSIVE showcase featured 9 teams from NC at U-17 last year and 4 of those U-17 teams were from CASL. Now we can argue all day about how good the 4th best CASL U-17 team is or the 9th best NC team is, but I can tell you that if you end up in their division nobody from Fordham or C of C is going to bother watching your game.

3 nights at a hotel = $350, $900 entry fee divided by 15 = $60, coaches expenses divided by 15 = $40. Approx. $450 per player.

I'll pay the $15 increase at the combine and still go to state cup whether Fordham is there or not. Thanks for the advice though.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T

"Money is a big factor in college, no doubt. But look at it another way. Go to a few top events and, don't just show up but, actually play well and maybe scholarship money might come your way. You'll never know staying in SC and settling." from kickinit70

I'll bet that most of the players playing at Clemson, Furman, USC, CofC, or any of the other SC schools might disagree with your assesment that they settled.

"If all kids in SC want is a local school that's cheap, then I'm dead wrong on all this." from kickinit70

"But I have a feeling that if parents and kids were educated early in the process and knew what was going on around the country to become a better player, while finding a good school, and all the opportunities that are out there, they wouldn't settle and would at least try to expand their horizons." from kickinit70

I feel that those who want to go out of state have done fairly well recently. Right now, there are former CESA women's players playing at/or committed to: Ohio State, UNC Charlotte, Univ. of GA, Univ. of Southern Cal (recent national champions I believe), Villanova, West Point, App. State, etc. With a little more research I could go on. And this with CESA not going to CASL or WAGS in recent memory.

I think maybe kickinit70 needs to go to Greenville and join the BOD and straighten that club out before they force other kids to 'settle' for playing at in-state schools.

H
goal
goal
H
Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn. My two cents:

In-state, out of state, public, private, big, small - these are all choices that individual families have to make based on their particular circumstances and desires. There is no "right" answer.

Any chance for a player to be seen by college coaches is a good thing. The CESA combine is a great opportunity for the players to be seen by college coaches.

There are lots of ways for players to get exposure. My son's team has played several "showcase" weekends against good competition and in front of coaches from every program in the state. They've played at USC (twice), Clemson, Furman (twice), Lander and College of Charleston. These were arranged by our team's coach.

We have played in the Disney Showcase twice, the Triangle Friendlies, will play at CASL this year and the Triangle Friendlies and Cincinnati Blue Chip Showcase in '09. Several of our players participated in ODP and two were Region camp holdovers (both goalkeepers, one a 92, the other a 91 - you can imagine the fight for playing time they have on their club team!)

The bottom line is that teams should take (or make) as many opportunities as possible to be seen by as many coaches as possible. These coaches all know each other. They talk all the time and actually help each other with recruiting. If a player impresses a coach at a school that he/she may not be interested in, that coach will usually be happy to give a recommendation to the coach at a school that does interest the player.

We're just getting started in the "serious" recruiting stage. It will be exciting, nerve-wracking, disappointing and challenging - at various points along the way. Trying to properly weight soccer, academics, environment, location, is not easy. The best way to maximize your options is to be seen, over and over again. The CESA combine is a chance to be seen.

H
brace
brace
H
it seems to me that cesa is trying to get as many girls/boys as possible into college and have some of it paid for by the schools.the combines help in doing that. coaches at last years combine contacted my daughter so it looks like it works.
at the u-16 age is when the college coaches are lined up on the sideline watching so at that age attending bigger tournys may not be a bad idea.other than that it is a big exspense just to say i played at wags.
there are many kids on the cesa 91 girls that are going to play in college.most will be in state with most of their college paid for.there are 3 with the chance to play in the SEC and ACC. not bad for a team that has been at the bottom of the region for 2 years.they only go to disney and the cesa showcase.(and combine)
they may have to "SETTLE" for Cof C and clemson,usc and other sc schools but that is not bad.when the word "Settle" or "Settled" is used it looks like a slap at the college education these kids will get by playing in state.its kind of hard to imagine a kid going to the likes of Presbyterian as having to settle for that good education.i bet a lot of kids that do not play sports would like to settle for them.

Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 09/19/08 12:22 PM.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
If you are good enough to play at a 'big' school in SC then it doesn't matter what club or team you play for, which tournaments you attend, or what college combine you showcase your ability at - 'they' will know who you are!!

If you are not one of the above, most SC colleges will take you anyway! (Broad, but not a negative statement - I just don't have the time to elaborate). I will however concede that this is beginning to change as the competitiveness increases.

Basically the local soccer community is duped by coaches & clubs regarding the college recruiting process!

P
kick off
kick off
P
I completely agree with the 'all or nothing' mentality. If you can't do it all, don't do anything. If you do try something, without trying everything, then you shall be burned at the stake.

L
Loc Dog Offline OP
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
L
Initial list of committed collegiate programs for the combine is up on CESA's website.

http://www.carolinaelitesc.com/NewsEvent.aspx?article=195

D
kick off
kick off
D
Does USC attend? If not why not?

H
brace
brace
H
there should be more adding on before the combine.as of now, the list does look a little shorter and weaker from what i remember last years being.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
My point is made!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard