Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
CJ #109322 10/10/08 01:04 PM
World Cup
World Cup
I just woke up from passing out and hitting my head on my computer desk after opening Steve's email. Is it March yet?

world cup
world cup
Will the Viking Cup be using three officials for all matches this year?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Will the Viking Cup be using three officials for all matches this year?

Have you heard something to that effect? I would seriously doubt it since there will be a huge demand for referees in the Greater Columbia area that weekend. In addition to the 51 matches at Spring Valley, the following events will be utilizing referees in the Midlands that weekend:

Cardinal Invitational Jamboree, Cardinal Newman
Gilbert Preseason Soccer Classic, Gilbert
Warrior Invitational, E. L. Wright Middle School
Lake Murray Challenge, Chapin, Irmo, Dutch Fork
Sandhills Soccer Classic, Ridge View/Blythewood

Are there enough officials in Columbia to provide two officials for all of these matches, not to mention three?

world cup
world cup
There are 40 referees less than an hour away in the Rock Hill / York County chapter.

Has anyone contacted these folks to see if they would be interested in working any of the tournaments that weekend?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

There are 40 referees less than an hour away in the Rock Hill / York County chapter.

Has anyone contacted these folks to see if they would be interested in working any of the tournaments that weekend?

I don't know, you'd have to ask the referee assignor for the Columbia area, Dennis Cook. But wouldn't those referees prefer to work one of the following tournaments closer to home that same weekend?

Chester Cyclone Pre-Season Cup, Chester
Cougar Cup Pre-Season JV Tourney, York

In addition, the following events are also happening that same weekend at other locations around the state:

Region 2 Girls Varsity Jamboree, Boiling Springs
Lady Raider Invitational, Laurens
Lady Warhorse Classic, Barnwell
Lady Green Wave Cup, Easley
Carolina Soccer Classic, Wando

world cup
world cup
I think three refs could handle the Chester tournament, and two refs could handle the JV tournament in York.

I'll ask Dennis. Thanks for doing the research.

hat-trick
hat-trick
You'd also have to ask Spring Valley if they have budgeted for the cost of a third referee times 51 matches. My guess is that would be around $2,000.

There are also 11 club matches at Ballentine that Saturday. Since 3 of those matches are at 10:30 and another 3 at 3:00 PM, at least 9 referees will be needed there. I guess high school age referees could be used for some of these games if they are not all playing in one of the tournaments or watching one of their siblings.

Another issue with referees on the list is that quite a few are parents. I know several referees that will be sitting in the stands watching their daughters play for at least 2 of the matches at Spring Valley on Saturday. I know several others that will be doing the same thing for their sons' matches in the Lake Murray Challenge.

world cup
world cup
I don't know if we should look at cost as a factor should we? Otherwise, why not use one ref per match and club linesmen? Those parent refs in the stands could each come down and grab a flag. This would save SV another $2,000.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I don't know if we should look at cost as a factor should we? Otherwise, why not use one ref per match and club linesmen? Those parent refs in the stands could each come down and grab a flag. This would save SV another $2,000.

As I said, you'll have to discuss the cost with Spring Valley. I believe the tournament is a big fund raiser for them.

I learned a long time ago that it's was not a good idea to ref my daughters' games.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Forget all that boring ref talk. I want to hear some predictions!

There are some great first round matchups to discuss and it is now just one week away.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard