Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#109312 10/08/08 05:32 PM
CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Steve Lea has been on the ball and already has the tournament brackets out. He told me I could post them, so here they are.

Oh, you should be able to pick out the group of death and you will be surprised who is in that group!

http://www.columbiaunitedfc.com/hstournaments/vikingcup/index_E.html

CJ #109313 10/08/08 05:51 PM
corner kick
corner kick
CJ,

Are you thinking of a rematch????

TLH vs Maudlin

or

TLH vs South Aiken

Very good teams in this bracket.......

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
I can't wait until Hurst sees this!

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Quote:

CJ,

TLH vs Maudlin

or

TLH vs South Aiken

I think I need to worry about the defending AAA champs before I can think about anything else!!!

But to your point, I think people would pay extra to see the battle of the horses in the first round.

CJ #109316 10/08/08 09:38 PM
world cup
world cup
I saw these brackets yesterday and I found them very interesting. Observations:

1. A & C are the groups of death.
2. I give Coach Lea credit for putting his team (Spring Valley) in Bracket A.
3. Dorman and Wando in the same Group....wow!
4. Best first round match: South Aiken vs. Mauldin.
5. Clover, making their first ever VC appearance, draws former region foe from their 3A days....Riverside.
6. Fort Mill meets West Ashley for the first time since the 2005 4A state final game, then (with all due respect to CJ and Jr.), possibly the 2008 4A state finalist and the 2008 3A state champion.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Hurst,
Really hard to argue with any of your observations. The fun thing is that we all get to see where we are before the regular season starts and then build from there.

CJ #109318 10/09/08 12:31 PM
C
Brace
Brace
C
Looking at the Massey ratings for each team/bracket, Bracket A has an average Massey rating of 13.9, Bracket C is 15.4, Bracket B is 19, and Bracket D is 22.75. However, the top 3 teams in the Massey ratings are in Bracket C (Wando #1, Dorman #2, and Lexington #3).

C
Brace
Brace
C
Top three 1st round matches based on combined Massey ratings:
1.) Dorman #2 vs Waccamaw #7 = 9
2.) Hilton Head #5 vs TL Hanna #13 = 18
3.) Mauldin #4 vs S. Aiken # 19 = 23

Bottom three 1st round matches based on combined Massey ratings:
1.) Brookland-Cayce #21 vs Aiken #39 = 60
2.) Dreher #30 vs Irmo #28 = 58
tie 3.) Spartanburg #22 vs Myrtle Beach #24 = 46
tie 3.) Summerville #11 vs Woodruff #35 = 46

I think it is fair to say that there is not a bad game throughout the tournament. A great field of teams!

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

CJ,

TLH vs Maudlin

or

TLH vs South Aiken

I guarantee that CJ is a whole lot more worried about a Hilton Head team that lost almost nobody off of their state championship team than he is of who he might play in the later rounds.

That Hilton Head team is going to be a monster both offensively and defensively. Larry has done a magnificent job of bringing them together.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
[quote
I guarantee that CJ is a whole lot more worried about a Hilton Head team that lost almost nobody off of their state championship team than he is of who he might play in the later rounds.

That Hilton Head team is going to be a monster both offensively and defensively. Larry has done a magnificent job of bringing them together.

BINGO!

CJ #109322 10/10/08 01:04 PM
World Cup
World Cup
I just woke up from passing out and hitting my head on my computer desk after opening Steve's email. Is it March yet?

world cup
world cup
Will the Viking Cup be using three officials for all matches this year?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Will the Viking Cup be using three officials for all matches this year?

Have you heard something to that effect? I would seriously doubt it since there will be a huge demand for referees in the Greater Columbia area that weekend. In addition to the 51 matches at Spring Valley, the following events will be utilizing referees in the Midlands that weekend:

Cardinal Invitational Jamboree, Cardinal Newman
Gilbert Preseason Soccer Classic, Gilbert
Warrior Invitational, E. L. Wright Middle School
Lake Murray Challenge, Chapin, Irmo, Dutch Fork
Sandhills Soccer Classic, Ridge View/Blythewood

Are there enough officials in Columbia to provide two officials for all of these matches, not to mention three?

world cup
world cup
There are 40 referees less than an hour away in the Rock Hill / York County chapter.

Has anyone contacted these folks to see if they would be interested in working any of the tournaments that weekend?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

There are 40 referees less than an hour away in the Rock Hill / York County chapter.

Has anyone contacted these folks to see if they would be interested in working any of the tournaments that weekend?

I don't know, you'd have to ask the referee assignor for the Columbia area, Dennis Cook. But wouldn't those referees prefer to work one of the following tournaments closer to home that same weekend?

Chester Cyclone Pre-Season Cup, Chester
Cougar Cup Pre-Season JV Tourney, York

In addition, the following events are also happening that same weekend at other locations around the state:

Region 2 Girls Varsity Jamboree, Boiling Springs
Lady Raider Invitational, Laurens
Lady Warhorse Classic, Barnwell
Lady Green Wave Cup, Easley
Carolina Soccer Classic, Wando

world cup
world cup
I think three refs could handle the Chester tournament, and two refs could handle the JV tournament in York.

I'll ask Dennis. Thanks for doing the research.

hat-trick
hat-trick
You'd also have to ask Spring Valley if they have budgeted for the cost of a third referee times 51 matches. My guess is that would be around $2,000.

There are also 11 club matches at Ballentine that Saturday. Since 3 of those matches are at 10:30 and another 3 at 3:00 PM, at least 9 referees will be needed there. I guess high school age referees could be used for some of these games if they are not all playing in one of the tournaments or watching one of their siblings.

Another issue with referees on the list is that quite a few are parents. I know several referees that will be sitting in the stands watching their daughters play for at least 2 of the matches at Spring Valley on Saturday. I know several others that will be doing the same thing for their sons' matches in the Lake Murray Challenge.

world cup
world cup
I don't know if we should look at cost as a factor should we? Otherwise, why not use one ref per match and club linesmen? Those parent refs in the stands could each come down and grab a flag. This would save SV another $2,000.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I don't know if we should look at cost as a factor should we? Otherwise, why not use one ref per match and club linesmen? Those parent refs in the stands could each come down and grab a flag. This would save SV another $2,000.

As I said, you'll have to discuss the cost with Spring Valley. I believe the tournament is a big fund raiser for them.

I learned a long time ago that it's was not a good idea to ref my daughters' games.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Forget all that boring ref talk. I want to hear some predictions!

There are some great first round matchups to discuss and it is now just one week away.

CJ #109332 02/20/09 11:46 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

There are some great first round matchups to discuss and it is now just one week away.

Here are my predictions..The Taco Bell Tournament Winner will NOT win state this year, the weather will be perfect for the games, and the free TACOS to the teams will be great....

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Quote:

Quote:

Here are my predictions..The Taco Bell Tournament Winner will NOT win state this year, the weather will be perfect for the games, and the free TACOS to the teams will be great....

I am all for points 1 and 3 and you have history on your side with 2.

So how do you think the home team will do?

CJ #109334 02/20/09 12:30 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Who knows. With Wando bucking the trend last year, maybe we'll see VC winner = SC winner for a few years now.

I like tacos...

world cup
world cup
I'm just hoping for good weather (and no injuries).

CJ #109336 02/21/09 03:16 AM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am all for points 1 and 3 and you have history on your side with 2.

So how do you think the home team will do?

if we go with experience then we should win the bracket, if we lean heavily on the freshman, we will be lucky to beat Airport....

S
throw in
throw in
S
Viking Cup Final 4: Mauldin, JL Mann, Wando, Riverside

brace
brace
South Aiken wins it in the biggest upset since the Cubs won the World Series!

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
Quote:

South Aiken wins it in the biggest upset since the Cubs won the World Series!

Oh, yeah, I forgot. The Cubs haven't won the World Series. Sorry Dale.

brace
brace
Seriously, and on a limb, I am taking J.L. Mann.

World Cup
World Cup
I just hope we get rid of the flu, stomach virus, snotty nose, hacking cough stuff before we get on our way. Has it been a sickly winter for anyone else? We're playing through it, but we have a cooler full of Kleenexes at practice.

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
We have that and some dings, nothing season ending but it has made it difficult to establish good cohesive team play. I am glad we have all of next week to heal and get ready for that HH juggernaut on Friday.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Flu, stomach virus, and bronchitis have been raging in the Lowcountry. I have several players who have missed entire weeks of school, much less practice. Still missing several today at the Rotary.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
Theory from an old man: I believe that these "colds" and other junk illnesses are getting more and more immune to over the counter meds, and that even though they may not be super bugs they are getting worse and worse. Seems like I have had a "cold" for 6 weeks, just took antibiotics for 10 days, no improvement. Bug probably ate the antibiotics and ready for the next guess.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Yup on the flu-virus-runny noses-etc--- Its the ACL/Meniscus, sprained back, concussion, that are more of a concern for us....

tk

Tony King
goal kick
goal kick
Any first round predictions??

corner kick
corner kick
Antibiotics don't help colds anyway ;-), colds are viral. Best thing to do usually is treat your symptoms and sweat it out instead of trying to stuff abx into your system cos that's what makes bugs resistant-multiple exposures to antibiotics =D.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
world cup
world cup
I predict that half of the following eight teams, all of which are very capable of winning the tournament, will not even survive their first round match:

Wando
Mauldin
Hilton Head
Eastside
Riverside
TL Hanna
South Aiken
Clover

Last edited by Hurst66; 02/23/09 02:06 AM.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

I predict that half of the following eight teams, all of which are very capable of winning the tournament, will not even survive their first round match:

Wando
Mauldin
Hilton Head
Eastside
Riverside
TL Hanna
South Aiken
Clover

Let's see..
Wando is Playing Eastside
Mauldin is Playing South Aiken
T.L. Hanna is Playing Hilton Head
Riverside is playing Clover

That's a 100% accurate prediction

Why not add these 50-50 choices

Airport
SVHS
Lexington
Blythewood

Here is what is left..

Chapin takes N. Augusta
BC takes Aiken
Irmo takes Dreher
Summerville takes Woodruff
Dorman takes Waccamaw

that's my 2 cents....

world cup
world cup
I like Dorman too......but I think Waccamaw makes a very good showing.

World Cup
World Cup
Please post all scores/results for the Taco Bell Viking Cup in this thread. The Scoreboard will be updated accordingly on Thursday, but we will be in Charleston for the Carolina Soccer Classic during the weekend. Good luck to all participating teams.

corner kick
corner kick
Charleston?!! But you could be in lovely, cold, wet, muddy, cloudy, gloomy Columbia all weekend!

Doin' it the hard way...
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
I hope to publish the scores both at the CUFC site and here, any special format required? I will attempt and load the bracket pdf's if someone will point me in the right direction. My goal is to update the site within 30 minutes of end of each game.

World Cup
World Cup
SV-Dad, just a running tally of scores/results is all SCSoccer.com needs. We will definitely confirm with the CUFC web site as well on Sunday. Thanks!

World Cup
World Cup
2/26/09

Viking Cup: Wando returns to impressive field
http://www.thestate.com/midlandspreps/story/696939.html
Gerald Davis, The State

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
@ the Half

Dutch Fork 1 - Ridgeview 0
Airport 1 - SV 0

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
FINAL

Dutch Fork 1(0) - Ridgeview 0(0)
Airport 1(0) - SV 0(1) SV win PK(4-2)

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
FINAL
N.AUGUSTA 1 - CHAPIN 0
AIKEN 0 - BC 0 -- PK 6-5 (BC WINS)

Last edited by SV-Dad; 02/27/09 01:39 AM.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
FINAL
LEXINGTON 4 BLYTHEWOOD 0
IRMO 3 DREHER 0

goal kick
goal kick
There was probably some of the worst officiating I have ever witnessed in the first round of the cup. Something needs to be done or these girls are going to get hurt.

World Cup
World Cup
Sweep, how did Blythewood look?

goal kick
goal kick
There was no doubt that Lexington dominated the game, but some of those goals could have been prevented. The officials never called the Lexington fouls, but called Blythewood fouls (even if they didn't exist). A "hand ball" was called in the box. When asked who the hand ball was on, the official simply responded with, "I don't know." Did Lexington deserve to win? Yes, they out played Blythewood. Should the score have been that high? No, the officials made many many unfortunate calls. I will even go as far as to say that with different officials, the game may have been evenly matched.

Last edited by SWEEPER2; 02/27/09 04:38 AM.
world cup
world cup
How many refs did they use, two or three?

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Dreher lost starting all-state junior sweeper Becca O'Connell in first 5 minutes of the game against Irmo. Trainers and doctor on sideline suspect a torn ACL.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Dreher lost starting all-state junior sweeper Becca O'Connell in first 5 minutes of the game against Irmo. Trainers and doctor on sideline suspect a torn ACL.

Please keep us posted on Becca's status. We are hoping for the best.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Any College Coaches at the games last night?

Is there a list of College Coaches that are attending this weekend?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I saw coaches last night from PC, Converse, and Lander. I also heard that Newberry had a representative there.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

There was no doubt that Lexington dominated the game, but some of those goals could have been prevented. The officials never called the Lexington fouls, but called Blythewood fouls (even if they didn't exist). A "hand ball" was called in the box. When asked who the hand ball was on, the official simply responded with, "I don't know." Did Lexington deserve to win? Yes, they out played Blythewood. Should the score have been that high? No, the officials made many many unfortunate calls. I will even go as far as to say that with different officials, the game may have been evenly matched.

You have to remember that the officials are only human, they are merely a obstacle in the game. They will not always make the right calls, also the officials for games may not be the best remember all the other games that are going on this week/weekend the best ref's cant be at every game.

Goal
Goal

I saw coaches last night from PC, Converse, and Lander. I also heard that Newberry had a representative there.

Yes, I also saw USC-Sumter, Lander, and Newberry too! Opening night was a lot of fun. I think there was a Columbia College sighting as well -- at least two folks in hoodies. I look forward to the rest of the weekend, weather permitting!

Victory Starts Here!
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

Quote:

You have to remember that the officials are only human, they are merely a obstacle in the game. They will not always make the right calls, also the officials for games may not be the best remember all the other games that are going on this week/weekend the best ref's cant be at every game.

That is a valid argument, but is it logical for even some of the worst refs to NEVER make the right call?? I am just worried that someone is going to get seriously injured.

Last edited by SWEEPER2; 02/27/09 02:16 PM.
goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

Quote:

The Columbia College coach was there also.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Wishing her a negative MRI...

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is a valid argument, but is it logical for even some of the worst refs to NEVER make the right call?? I am just worried that someone is going to get seriously injured.

I see where your coming from, but there is always a chance of injury with a good official or not. I didn't think from what i saw of the Irmo Dreher game that there was that bad of officiating and the Dreher player still got hurt.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I hear there are time changes to tonight's schedule and maybe tomorrow. Any idea how soon these changes will be made to the schedule on the Columbia website? Thanks!

Last edited by arrogantlyshabby; 02/27/09 04:17 PM.
World Cup
World Cup
AS, 7:00 games are going to 6:45

C
Brace
Brace
C
Correct for Friday:

5pm match start time is unchanged.
5:30pm matches start times are unchanged.
7pm matches start times are now 6:45pm.
8:30pm matches start times are now 8pm.

30 minute halves 5 minute half times

Last edited by CoachMorris; 02/27/09 04:21 PM.
corner kick
corner kick
Are halves still 35 minutes, or are they shortened?

Doin' it the hard way...
corner kick
corner kick
Oops...too slow

Doin' it the hard way...
World Cup
World Cup

hat-trick
hat-trick
Latest schedule for Saturday and Sunday:

Saturday: Matches will be played as one 45 minute half beginning on the hour. Referees will direct teams to switch ends of field on first stoppage after the 22 minute mark. Penalty kicks to advance the bracket will be sudden death from the first kick (played as normally played after the 6th kick - first advantage advances).

8am matches kickoff unchanged
9:30am matches kickoff at 9am
11am matches kickoff at 10am
12:30pm matches kickoff at 11am
2pm matches kickoff at noon
3:30pm matches kickoff at 1pm
5pm matches kickoff at 1pm on 6th field (as directed tomorrow - it is on campus)

Sunday: Semi-finals and finals are canceled - bracket champions will be declared and awarded plaques on Saturday.

corner kick
corner kick
What happened that the games are shorter? Just the rain forecast?

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

What happened that the games are shorter? Just the rain forecast?

Excerpt from the first schedule change message sent at 9:45 AM today:

"Now for the tough news - the weather for the weekend looks terrible - deteriorating beginning this evening and getting worse through Saturday, including several times when thunderstorms are predicted. We are trying right now to put a plan together that will allow us to play all matches, but they are likely to be compressed - we need to shorten Saturday's schedule to hopefully fit matches into the window that now looks best (7am to 2pm) and also to allow for delays if we have lightning. Sunday looks bad as well - either rain or snow. As usual, we will be willing to cancel the Sunday matches if the weather is bad (fingers crossed, but not looking good - however, that is a relatively minor call and we will make that Saturday).

For now, we appear to have bad weather beginning possibly as early as 3pm today but probable bad weather and lightning later in the evening. We will be compressing the games and schedule tonight...see below.

Thunderstorms are predicted overnight, but we hope to have them through by early morning Saturday. Rain is supposed to fall Saturday, and thunderstorms are supposed to return in the early afternoon - 2pm or so. It looks like the best window will fall between 7am or so and 2pm or so. Today I will monitor the weather and after lunch I will be redoing the Saturday schedule. Bracket matchups will stay the same - only start times and length of matches will be affected. I will email these changes to everyone primarily for Thursday teams. I will have copies of the changes available at each field for Friday teams - check at the gates. We will also post the changes at www.columbiaunitedfc.com. Please notify your parents as well!!! The changes you will expect are to play earlier and to play a shorter match. Start times could be affected by two hours or more for later games. Again, this information will be available later today."

Excerpt from the second message sent at 2:10 PM:

"We have reviewed the radar (looks bad), hourly forecasts, and wind directions for tonight and the weekend. Rain and storms are essentially guaranteed (it is raining right now), and lightning appears certain late tonight and through early morning. Rainfall amounts could be several inches. Lightning appears certain again between 2 and 3pm Saturday and into the evening, with rain to follow through Sunday. Therefore, here is the schedule for the Cup, making an attempt to fit all games into a very small window of time. Brackets stay the same - only game times change!!!!"

corner kick
corner kick
Ooh, I hadn't realised the forecast was that bad. Plus, it's been gorgeous all day here, so wasn't thinking.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
My son has two matches scheduled for BB&T fields tomorrow afternoon. What are the odds they will be played?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Here are the latest scores

BYRNES 1 x BISHOP ENGLAND 1 (BE WINS BY PK 6-5)
WANDO 1 x EASTSIDE 1 (WANDO WINS BY PK 6-5)

WOODRUFF - SUMMERVILLE STILL BEING PLAYED LATE START...

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Just to RECAP and insure all CURRENT SCORES are reported:
BRACKET A
FORT MILL 3 - WEST ASHLEY 0
AIRPORT 1 - SV 1 (SV WINS PK)
BRACKET B
BYRNES 1 - BISHOP ENGLAND 1 (BE WINS PK)
AIKEN 0 - BROOKLAND-CAYCE 0 (BC WINS PK)
JL MANN 4 - JAMES ISLAND 2
RIDGEVIEW 0 - DUTCH FORK 1
BRACKET C
CHAPIN 0 - NORTH AUGUST 1
EASTSIDE 1 - WANDO 1 (WANDO WINS PK)
LEXINGTON 4 - BLYTHEWOOD 0
BRACKET D
SUMMERVILLE 2 - WOODRUFF 0
RIVERSIDE 2 - CLOVER 1
DREHER 0 - IRMO 3

S
throw in
throw in
S
TL Hanna 1 Hilton Head 0

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Final For Night

SPARTANBURG 3 - MYRTLE BEACH 0
MAULDIN 1 - SOUTH AIKEN 0
TL HANNA 1 - HILTON HEAD 0

...CUFC will be updated soon with game times and teams

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
TL Hanna goal scored by freshman Olivia Bair off of a corner kick taken by Casey Craft. Hilton Head is TOUGH. We feel very fortunate to pull that one out.

We watched Mauldin/SA and that was a very well played game with Mauldin scoring on a corner in the second half.

CJ #109390 02/28/09 05:13 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Sitting next to CJ and he is grinning from head to toe. Well done on the win.

Sitting next to the Mauldin Coach. He is doing the same. Pretty sick of looking at him, but must admit Mauldin is a complete team with a great, physical identidy. Fun match to watch.

CJ #109391 02/28/09 05:18 AM
brace
brace
Quote:

TL Hanna goal scored by freshman Olivia Bair off of a corner kick taken by Casey Craft. Hilton Head is TOUGH. We feel very fortunate to pull that one out.

We watched Mauldin/SA and that was a very well played game with Mauldin scoring on a corner in the second half.

Hum? Hanna isn't playing scrimmages anymore and POW YOW! Sweet, CJ!

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
************ TACO BELL VIKING CUP GAMES DELAYED ***********

Weather radar shows 100% RAIN, fields are soaked, games
GAMES DELAYED UNTIL 10:00 AM -- UPDATE AT 8:30 AM

Last edited by SV-Dad; 02/28/09 12:23 PM.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
****TACO BELL VIKING CUP GAMES CANCELLED *****

I just received a call from Steve Lea at SVHS, and he indicated with an apology that regretfully they must pull the plug, and not allow games to be played today. All fields are under water, and the weather radar indicates 100% precipitation.

****TACO BELL VIKING CUP GAMES CANCELLED *****

goal kick
goal kick
That is unfortunate. Do we know if the games will be rescheduled?

CJ #109395 02/28/09 03:43 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

We gave up a stinky own goal and Mauldin made sure we didn't get a chance to equalize. Not much fun to only get one game in, but at least we got to play one of the top teams in the state.

Steve made the right call in canceling. Not looking good out there...

world cup
world cup
We are disappointed, but fully understand the situation. The weather stinks.

It's a shame. Viking Cup is a great tournament and everyone really looks forward to it every year.

Fort Mill is very honored to be Bracket A Champions! (Steve, please ship the plaque ASAP). There will be a little less luster and shine to that award, knowing that we did not have to go through Mauldin, TL Hanna, South Aiken, Hilton Head or Spring Valley to earn it.

Best of luck to everyone this season.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
**** Coach Lea asked that I post the followin excerpt from his email *****

Hello Coaches, Volunteers, and Committee Members-

To our visiting teams:

Well, what can I say....this was about the worst case scenario we could have dreamed up, and we got it. To give you a quick breakdown - this morning, the district pulled Harry Parone Stadium out of use. The AD pulled our game field at the same time (all about 7am). Columbia United FC entrusted us to make the call but to take care of their fields, and they were getting standing water at 6:30am. I met with the AD before 7am, and we looked at the radar one more time before making the final call. It showed huge amounts of rain coming throughout the morning, so we had to make the final call to cancel. The only bright spot I can see is that we have gotten even more rain than we expected. Our two SV fields are almost completely under water right now, as is one of the CUFC fields. The other CUFC field and HP stadium are both soggy with maybe 25% standing water. Overall, everything has become even more unplayable than we thought likely.

That all being said, we do apologize to all of the teams involved. We know that the competition you see here is very important to getting your teams ready to begin the season. Please know that we did everything we could to try to get games played. This is the first time we have ever had to cancel more than just a game or two during the Cup, and it was very hard for me to have to make that call. I sincerely hope that all of you will plan on joining us again next year. Mathematically, it would seem that, after the last two years, we are due some good weather for a few years!

I had messages from a couple of coaches about an all-tournament team, and I asked several coaches their thoughts. All said they did not want to name someone based only on one match, so we will not name a team this season.

To my tournament committee and volunteers:

I know how you feel about all of the time, effort, and expense you have put in - I'm sick we could not pull it off. However, you all did a wonderful job as usual. Some of you have asked about not turning in your committee expense receipts, and I appreciate those thoughts tremendously. The tournament will lose money this year, but I do not expect any of you to help foot the bill.....it's a risk we take and we know it up front. Again, though, thank you for the generous offers and for all of your tireless efforts!! Without your efforts and your hundreds of volunteers this event could never take place.

A final thanks (and apology) to all involved, and we hope to come back as strong as ever next year! Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Steve

Stephen A. Lea
Social Studies Department
National Board Certified Teacher
Head Coach, Girls Varsity Soccer
Director, Taco Bell Viking Cup
Spring Valley High School
120 Sparkleberry Lane
Columbia, SC 29229
803-699-3500 ext. 69261
slea@svh.richland2.org

world cup
world cup
Steve,

I'm sure we all understand the situation and we are very sympathetic. We all know how much work that you, your staff, and all of your volunteers put into this. Great job by you and we all look forward to coming back again next year.

As for the All-Tournament Team, I certainly agree that you can't publish one based on each team playing a single match. But I'd like to throw a nominee out there for the Tournament MVP. If Rae Wilson scored all of her team's goals in JL Mann's 4-2 victory over James Island, as far as I'm concerned, you can hand the trophy over to her.

Congratulations.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Fort Mill is very honored to be Bracket A Champions!

So, by that logic, I guess the following would also be Bracket Champions:

Bracket B: JL Mann
Bracket C: Lexington
Bracket D: Co-champions Irmo & Spartanburg

Goal
Goal
Looks like some common sense was used at the TBVC. That tourney is the premier girls soccer event in the state and has always been handled first class. There was no need to get young ladies injured or fields torn up due to the poor weather. Wait 'til next year!

50th for a reason!
hat-trick
hat-trick
To borrow an idea from Kyle Heise's post in the Carolina Soccer Classic thread, here are some numbers from the 16 Viking Cup games that were able to be played:

4 matches ended in ties (25%)
5 matches were decided by 1 goal (31%)
3 matches were decided by 2 goals (19%)
4 matches were decided by 3 or more goals (25%)
11 shutouts (68%)
36 goals (2.25 avg per match)

Average Goal Differential: 1.5
Bracket A: 1.25
Bracket B: 0.75
Bracket C: 1.75
Bracket D: 2.25

Bracket D teams scored the most goals (11)
Bracket A teams scored the fewest goals (7)

Records by classification:
4A: 9-6-4 (19 teams)
3A: 2-5-3 (10 teams)
2A: 1-1-1 (3 teams)

Last edited by Peabody; 03/01/09 01:14 AM.
bench
bench
Peabody: You may want to recalculate your bracket Champions based on the following taken from the tourney rules:

7) Declaring a champion in the event of severe weather (or other necessary) cancellations:
a) If cancellations of matches prevented an overly large number of bracket matches from being completed (discretion would lie with tournament committee), no champion would be declared.
b) If bracket play is completed but Sunday play is cancelled, a champion would be declared from among the four bracket champions. Placement would be determined on a point system. Points would be awarded as follows – two points for each victory and one point for each tie achieved by a team you have faced in bracket play (i.e., reward for strength of opponents); one point for each shutout your team has achieved; and one point deducted for each advancement by your team via penalty kicks.
c) If required, goal differential (+\- maximum of three goals per game) would be used to determine the champion from among teams tied in the above points system. Finally, goals allowed (no limit per game) would be the final tie-breaker.
d) If no definitive single champion were able to be declared at this point, co-champions would be declared.

brace
brace
Quote:

To borrow an idea from Kyle Heise's post in the Carolina Soccer Classic thread, here are some numbers from the 16 Viking Cup games that were able to be played:

4 matches ended in ties (25%)
5 matches were decided by 1 goal (31%)
3 matches were decided by 2 goals (19%)
4 matches were decided by 3 or more goals (25%)
11 shutouts (68%)
36 goals (2.25 per match)

Average Goal Differential: 1.5
Bracket A: 1.25
Bracket B: 0.75
Bracket C: 1.75
Bracket D: 2.25

Bracket D teams scored the most goals (11)
Bracket A teams scored the fewest goals (7)

3A: 1-7-3 (11 teams)

3A: Riverside and Mann won

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

Quote:

. . .with SVG as overall CHAMPS.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

3A: Riverside and Mann won

Sorry, I incorrectly transcribed the 3A teams;

Corrected:
3A: 2-5-3 (10 teams)

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

7) Declaring a champion in the event of severe weather (or other necessary) cancellations:
a) If cancellations of matches prevented an overly large number of bracket matches from being completed (discretion would lie with tournament committee), no champion would be declared.

tranquil19:
Obviously, with only one round completed, the above describes the situation which means no champion is declared and any discussion of bracket champions is just speculation.

My comment was not a serious attempt to declare bracket champions. I was simply extending Hurst's logic that Fort Mill would be the Bracket A champion. I was assuming he had based this on goal differential.

Notice that I also included the

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

. . .with SVG as overall CHAMPS.

I think Steve Lea and the SV volunteers should be declared champions!

world cup
world cup
I think Mother Nature was the real champ.

She kicked everybody's butt today!

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

I think Mother Nature was the real champ.

She kicked everybody's butt today!

Yes ALL 32 TEAMS with a single blow!

bench
bench
Peabody: Sorry I omitted the smiley. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment brought on by the sudden void left by the cancellation of a weekend of completive soccer. Looking forward to the "Hungry Howie". Lets hope the weather cooperates for this one.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Random thought......

Did you ever notice when weather effects a club tournament, the number of people clamoring for refunds and kvetching about why they cancelled, etc?

This is HS.....and haven't heard one person crying about money or (mis) management. Cool.....can the same grace be extended to club?

brace
brace
Quote:

Random thought......

Did you ever notice when weather effects a club tournament, the number of people clamoring for refunds and kvetching about why they cancelled, etc?

This is HS.....and haven't heard one person crying about money or (mis) management. Cool.....can the same grace be extended to club?

GREAT observation. Mine is that it is a privilege to play high school ball, and often clubs/parents/kids think that you are privileged to play club ball. Humility and thankfulness v. look at me. It all boils down to the people involved, and there are just more people (players) who are thankful and delighted at the high school and junior varsity level than at club. Plus high school is sorta free so parents don't feel like you owe them back.

We have five kids who tried out for our JV who have never played soccer. We announced we would keep everyone who tried out in 9th and 10th grade for our first year JV program. These five kids have come to every practice, come to every scrimmage, come to every game. They sit in the stands together, are now a part of our program, and have never even put a uniform on yet. Can you imagine that in club?

It is a privilege to coach or play high school soccer. It is not a right.

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 03/01/09 02:33 PM.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah, overall, it's a significantly different mentality between the high school crowd and the "pay to play" crowd. I'm sure part of it is because most high school programs get their tournament fees and transportation costs out of the athletic program budget (or from fundraising, which still passes through the school account) rather than collecting tournament fees straight from the players/parents pockets, as many clubs do--not to mention the majority of high school tournament team fees are a fraction of most club tournament costs. It's a little different feel than "I just handed you a check for all this money, drove my daughter/son all this way, and got nothing."

ROH makes a great point, though...high school ball is a service provided for the players at a comparatively minimal expense, and I would say there is a higher percentage of players who are simply grateful and appreciative of the opportunity to come out and do what they love doing.

I'm a little jealous, though...great story about the 5 who never played before, stuck with the team, and sit in the stands together even though they haven't put on a uniform...

Here, they'd not only be suited up, but might be starters.

brace
brace
Quote:

Yeah, overall, it's a significantly different mentality between the high school crowd and the "pay to play" crowd. I'm sure part of it is because most high school programs get their tournament fees and transportation costs out of the athletic program budget (or from fundraising, which still passes through the school account) rather than collecting tournament fees straight from the players/parents pockets, as many clubs do--not to mention the majority of high school tournament team fees are a fraction of most club tournament costs. It's a little different feel than "I just handed you a check for all this money, drove my daughter/son all this way, and got nothing."

ROH makes a great point, though...high school ball is a service provided for the players at a comparatively minimal expense, and I would say there is a higher percentage of players who are simply grateful and appreciative of the opportunity to come out and do what they love doing.

I'm a little jealous, though...great story about the 5 who never played before, stuck with the team, and sit in the stands together even though they haven't put on a uniform...

Here, they'd not only be suited up, but might be starters.

Last year we started five of those! Loved them all!

brace
brace
We have two kids whose parents make them try out for a sport every season. They have never made a team. When they came to the first day of JV tryouts, and I told everyone that every kid who tried out for JV would make it, and that our goal for this year for JV was "participation", they said, "You mean we made the team?" My "yes" was greeted by "Mom is not going to believe this!"

If you can't smile when this happens, you are dead. Those two kids are going to do something in life, soccer, or something I guarantee.

Find a way for it to work, instead of finding a way for it not to work. It's for the kids, not the coaches and parents, after all.

More WE, less me.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I am a member of the club crowd and high school crowd also...I paid a good bit of money for the tourney that just got cancelled..I traveled out of state and I am sitting in this hotel room eating room service watching it rain...High school ball..Tourney cost me nothing and the bus is taking my child there and I can go or wait it looks like rain..I think I will stay home..PRICELESS..I think the bottom line is that everyone tries to get the tourneys in but if mother nature throws you a raw deal then shrug your shoulders and move on and be grateful that your child has the opportunity to play in such events..

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yep...winning is great, don't get me wrong, and a coach has a responsibility to run a program that give the whole team opportunities to be successful. At the same time, though, at some point, you have to take into account what the team can do for the players, not just what the players can do for the team. I don't think we've ever been hurt in the long run by making calls based on that, and we've gained a lot.

brace
brace
Quote:

I am a member of the club crowd and high school crowd also...I paid a good bit of money for the tourney that just got cancelled..I traveled out of state and I am sitting in this hotel room eating room service watching it rain...High school ball..Tourney cost me nothing and the bus is taking my child there and I can go or wait it looks like rain..I think I will stay home..PRICELESS..I think the bottom line is that everyone tries to get the tourneys in but if mother nature throws you a raw deal then shrug your shoulders and move on and be grateful that your child has the opportunity to play in such events..

Love it!

C
Brace
Brace
C
Can you name the schools who have participated in the Taco Bell Viking Cup and have never lost a game?

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Random thought......

I suppose part of the incentive to try recouping some of the team expense associated with a club tournament, especially the larger tournaments, has to do with relatively high team registration fees and potentially greater travel expenses.

A few years ago one of the larger club tournaments, WAGS, found a way to at least reduce some of the "clamoring" and "kvetching" associated with tournament cancellations. WAGS began getting event coverage by Lloyds of London. While the coverage does not reimburse teams' travel expenses, it does allow WAGS the opportunity to reimburse team registration fees as well as cover its own expenses associated with the tournament.

I don't know how big a tournament would need to be to justify such coverage. While the cost and effort to put on the Viking Cup may not compare to a tournament like WAGS that hosts up to 600 teams from all over, I'm sure the cost to Spring Valley for VC is significant. Although I'm grateful to the tournament officials who decided not to put my daughters at risk, I am sorry the kids didn't get a chance to play and sorry Spring Valley lost the opportunity to recoup through concessions, merchandise and ticket sales some of their expenses. Perhaps there is event coverage available for future events that could at least reduce some of the financial "ouch" incurred by all involved.

Viking Cup is a great HS event, I'll be looking forward to my daughters' participation next year.

World Cup
World Cup
Waccamaw?

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Waccamaw?

That's one.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
So it boils down to money?

If I paid a lot of money.....I can vent and steam and make myself and others miserable? If its more or less free, who cares? Is this what we're saying?

Is this symptomatic of the human condition or what? We value...what we pay for? We value....what we perceive the price tag to be?

My guess is that the kids and coaches.....there is zero difference between a cxl'd HS tournament and a cxl'd club tournament. All that's left is disappointment and thoughts of what might have been. And that my friends....is what has value.

Next time someone wants to go off on a 32 page rant on MPSC or CESA or whomever canceling a tournament because of weather....think of the relative peace of this weekend, and chill.

Speaking of chilling....here in Fort Mill its been snowing for several hours and we now have about 2 inches of snow and its still coming. Kids are outside playing in the snow, school is cxl'd for tomorrow...and I'm already worrying about practice time this week. 3 tournaments in the Big Daddy household this coming weekend and those evil tournament organizers better not disappoint me by messing around and even thinking of cxlg!!!

world cup
world cup
Airport?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Airport?

world cup
world cup
I guessed first Daddy.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Airport?

Airport has lost several times over the years in the taco bell....

Last edited by CoachMorris; 03/02/09 01:45 AM.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

If I paid a lot of money.....I can vent and steam and make myself and others miserable? If its more or less free, who cares?

Let's see my flight to San Diego has been cancelled and the airlines(Delta) wont refund my ticket money...so that I could use another airline. I would also like to make everyone miserable at my expense!! They would not even answer the phone today, I had to go to the Airport and personally talk to the ticket agent. (They were pleasant and very helpfull by the way) What's my point, -- here is a quick quote:

ATTITUDE
by: Charles Swindoll
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Well, if we're talking about people griping and demanding their money back, yeah, that pretty much boils down to money. No, it certainly doesn't justify making people around you miserable, but human nature is that the more you perceive to have invested in something, the more you feel slighted when you don't perceive a return. If I get home from Wal-Mart and find that a 75-cent candy bar I paid for didn't make its way to the bag, no biggie...shrug the shoulders and move on. If it's a $20 DVD, though, or a $50 fishing reel, I'm a lot more likely to drive back over there to find out what happened and ask that said item make its way into the bag or get a refund. Doesn't mean I have to call the cashier/bagger names and accuse him of being crooked, though.

You make a great point, though, BD...for the players and coaches, a lost opportunity to play is a lost opportunity to play, and the value of that experience doesn't change when you raise or lower the dollar amount. If everyone who didn't get their time on the pitch this weekend can handle it with grace and goodwill, then maybe there's hope that people will accept what can't be helped in other arenas with equal composure.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
What was the entry fee for VC?

world cup
world cup
Doesn't matter. I, as a parent, did not have to write a check.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

$375

brace
brace
A lost opportunity is a chance to appreciate more the opportunity to play when it arises.

Ask a kid who is rehabbing waiting for surgery and you won't hear compaints about having to play the next week because of rain or snow.

It is all relative.

If you have class before, you will have class after. If you are a nut before, you will be a nut after.

Chill, and enjoy it. Get old, retired, and stay happy, mon.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Doesn't matter. I, as a parent, did not have to write a check.

I did. It's 1/3 of our soccer budget.

brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

$375

OH, that changes everything! I had no idea the tourney was that expensive! The money should be wired today! How can we survive this financial disaster! I expect scsoccer to come up with a bailout program this morning! What about the t shirts? How come Obama doesn't play soccer? I suggest a $790 billion bailout for all South Carolina soccer tournaments, snow equipment for every high school with a girls' soccer team, and an extension of the season.
NOW.

brace
brace
My medication is balanced once again. I have decided that if a tournament is over $250, you should not complain. It is over $250, you should complain. Or maybe $200, let me think about this. smiley . smiley . smiley

H
brace
brace
H
Loosing the entry fee to a club tourny has never really bothered me because it was already figured into my club fees before i paid them for the year. What gets me more is when a tourny is cancelled on a sat and you have paid for Friday nights motel stay and they will not let you get out of your Saturday night stay. Most of the time it is a 85.00 a night a room but since you have to book through the tourny web site it cost you 135.00
Have been lucky and never had but a couple get washed out.Sometimes you come on home and sometimes you stay and sightsee.

brace
brace
Add to my list free hotel rooms and frequent stay points. I agree, hard headed. Isn't it uncanny how the cancellations are usually right after the time that you could give back the hotel room.

Old trick at 6:15 after the cancellation policy time: Tell them your youngest child has a highly contagious disease (like smallpox or something) and you really don't feel right about entering the room. If they refund the price or don't charge you, you won't stay. It has never failed for us.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Quote:

Add to my list free hotel rooms and frequent stay points. I agree, hard headed. Isn't it uncanny how the cancellations are usually right after the time that you could give back the hotel room.

Old trick at 6:15 after the cancellation policy time: Tell them your youngest child has a highly contagious disease (like smallpox or something) and you really don't feel right about entering the room. If they refund the price or don't charge you, you won't stay. It has never failed for us.

I thought you were frugal. Sounds just down right cheap to me!

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
brace
brace
Probably cheap is closer to the truth.

World Cup
World Cup
3/2/09
Weather derails outdoor sports slate
Phil Bowman, The Post and Courier

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Waccamaw?

Waccamaw was in Fort Mill's bracket in 2004, and they did not advance. They must have lost at least once that year. West Ashley needed only a draw to advance, and we tied them. I cannot find the FM-Waccamaw score anywhere.

Doin' it the hard way...
C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Quote:

Waccamaw?

Waccamaw was in Fort Mill's bracket in 2004, and they did not advance. They must have lost at least once that year. West Ashley needed only a draw to advance, and we tied them. I cannot find the FM-Waccamaw score anywhere.

Oops--I am wrong for once! I should have researched more. How about North Augusta--was this their 1st year attending the cup?

world cup
world cup
Not too much gets past Dr. McCoy. Great catch.

My daughter was a senior on that Fort Mill team and she seems to remember a 1-0 victory over Waccamaw, in a first-round match played on the NECSA field, across the street behind the church.

corner kick
corner kick
Young minds and memories are so much better than us old folks! I think she's right

Doin' it the hard way...
World Cup
World Cup
Get some rest, Keith. That little girl is affecting your mind

world cup
world cup
That Waccamaw team that entertained Dorman this past weekend is a helluva lot better than the Waccamaw team the Lady Jackets faced five years ago!

I said that I liked Dorman, but I predicted that the girls from the Grand Strand would give them fits.

Last edited by Hurst66; 03/03/09 02:07 AM.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Get some rest, Keith. That little girl is affecting your mind

How about NA? First time in tourney?

C
Brace
Brace
C
Waccamaw and BE should be an interesting battle in 2A with the winner having the nod in the state championship game.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M

Are we getting enough sleep? Do not forget about Barnwell. Michael and Randy will have those girls ready along with AM! Should be interesting in AA lower state this year.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Chad

Don't make Randy and my job any harder...we like to fly under the radar around here!!

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Sorry. After beating BL, you are already blipping on my radar. Nice job this weekend!

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Are we getting enough sleep? Do not forget about Barnwell. Michael and Randy will have those girls ready along with AM! Should be interesting in AA lower state this year.

You are absolutely correct! Waccamaw, BE, Academic Magnet and Barnwell will be (probably) the top 4 seeds in the lower state. The lower state in 2A is stacked!

C
bench
bench
C
To my knowledge,this was North Augusta's first time

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard