Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
************ TACO BELL VIKING CUP GAMES DELAYED ***********

Weather radar shows 100% RAIN, fields are soaked, games
GAMES DELAYED UNTIL 10:00 AM -- UPDATE AT 8:30 AM

Last edited by SV-Dad; 02/28/09 12:23 PM.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
****TACO BELL VIKING CUP GAMES CANCELLED *****

I just received a call from Steve Lea at SVHS, and he indicated with an apology that regretfully they must pull the plug, and not allow games to be played today. All fields are under water, and the weather radar indicates 100% precipitation.

****TACO BELL VIKING CUP GAMES CANCELLED *****

goal kick
goal kick
That is unfortunate. Do we know if the games will be rescheduled?

CJ #109395 02/28/09 03:43 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

We watched Mauldin/SA and that was a very well played game with Mauldin scoring on a corner in the second half.

We gave up a stinky own goal and Mauldin made sure we didn't get a chance to equalize. Not much fun to only get one game in, but at least we got to play one of the top teams in the state.

Steve made the right call in canceling. Not looking good out there...

world cup
world cup
We are disappointed, but fully understand the situation. The weather stinks.

It's a shame. Viking Cup is a great tournament and everyone really looks forward to it every year.

Fort Mill is very honored to be Bracket A Champions! (Steve, please ship the plaque ASAP). There will be a little less luster and shine to that award, knowing that we did not have to go through Mauldin, TL Hanna, South Aiken, Hilton Head or Spring Valley to earn it.

Best of luck to everyone this season.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
**** Coach Lea asked that I post the followin excerpt from his email *****

Hello Coaches, Volunteers, and Committee Members-

To our visiting teams:

Well, what can I say....this was about the worst case scenario we could have dreamed up, and we got it. To give you a quick breakdown - this morning, the district pulled Harry Parone Stadium out of use. The AD pulled our game field at the same time (all about 7am). Columbia United FC entrusted us to make the call but to take care of their fields, and they were getting standing water at 6:30am. I met with the AD before 7am, and we looked at the radar one more time before making the final call. It showed huge amounts of rain coming throughout the morning, so we had to make the final call to cancel. The only bright spot I can see is that we have gotten even more rain than we expected. Our two SV fields are almost completely under water right now, as is one of the CUFC fields. The other CUFC field and HP stadium are both soggy with maybe 25% standing water. Overall, everything has become even more unplayable than we thought likely.

That all being said, we do apologize to all of the teams involved. We know that the competition you see here is very important to getting your teams ready to begin the season. Please know that we did everything we could to try to get games played. This is the first time we have ever had to cancel more than just a game or two during the Cup, and it was very hard for me to have to make that call. I sincerely hope that all of you will plan on joining us again next year. Mathematically, it would seem that, after the last two years, we are due some good weather for a few years!

I had messages from a couple of coaches about an all-tournament team, and I asked several coaches their thoughts. All said they did not want to name someone based only on one match, so we will not name a team this season.

To my tournament committee and volunteers:

I know how you feel about all of the time, effort, and expense you have put in - I'm sick we could not pull it off. However, you all did a wonderful job as usual. Some of you have asked about not turning in your committee expense receipts, and I appreciate those thoughts tremendously. The tournament will lose money this year, but I do not expect any of you to help foot the bill.....it's a risk we take and we know it up front. Again, though, thank you for the generous offers and for all of your tireless efforts!! Without your efforts and your hundreds of volunteers this event could never take place.

A final thanks (and apology) to all involved, and we hope to come back as strong as ever next year! Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Steve

Stephen A. Lea
Social Studies Department
National Board Certified Teacher
Head Coach, Girls Varsity Soccer
Director, Taco Bell Viking Cup
Spring Valley High School
120 Sparkleberry Lane
Columbia, SC 29229
803-699-3500 ext. 69261
slea@svh.richland2.org

world cup
world cup
Steve,

I'm sure we all understand the situation and we are very sympathetic. We all know how much work that you, your staff, and all of your volunteers put into this. Great job by you and we all look forward to coming back again next year.

As for the All-Tournament Team, I certainly agree that you can't publish one based on each team playing a single match. But I'd like to throw a nominee out there for the Tournament MVP. If Rae Wilson scored all of her team's goals in JL Mann's 4-2 victory over James Island, as far as I'm concerned, you can hand the trophy over to her.

Congratulations.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Fort Mill is very honored to be Bracket A Champions!

So, by that logic, I guess the following would also be Bracket Champions:

Bracket B: JL Mann
Bracket C: Lexington
Bracket D: Co-champions Irmo & Spartanburg

Goal
Goal
Looks like some common sense was used at the TBVC. That tourney is the premier girls soccer event in the state and has always been handled first class. There was no need to get young ladies injured or fields torn up due to the poor weather. Wait 'til next year!

50th for a reason!
hat-trick
hat-trick
To borrow an idea from Kyle Heise's post in the Carolina Soccer Classic thread, here are some numbers from the 16 Viking Cup games that were able to be played:

4 matches ended in ties (25%)
5 matches were decided by 1 goal (31%)
3 matches were decided by 2 goals (19%)
4 matches were decided by 3 or more goals (25%)
11 shutouts (68%)
36 goals (2.25 avg per match)

Average Goal Differential: 1.5
Bracket A: 1.25
Bracket B: 0.75
Bracket C: 1.75
Bracket D: 2.25

Bracket D teams scored the most goals (11)
Bracket A teams scored the fewest goals (7)

Records by classification:
4A: 9-6-4 (19 teams)
3A: 2-5-3 (10 teams)
2A: 1-1-1 (3 teams)

Last edited by Peabody; 03/01/09 01:14 AM.
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard