Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
#109497 10/11/08 06:11 PM
C
CITG Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
C
Well, here we are in Mt. Pleasant for this tournament and the fields are closed! Did the staff not think about the possibility of rain. They need to suck it up and let the games go on; they can fix the fields with all the money we paid to come. We have a non-refundable hotel, played one game where the halves were only 20 minutes each, and now they have cancelled the rest of the games for today. Why are they allowed to host a tournament if they have no way of seeing it to the end!

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Just receive a call for some folks in MB. Seems like the rain is not keeping them from playing. Maybe should have went there instead.

C
Coach
Coach
C
My team is also in this tournament, and I think the tournament officials are doing about all they can at this point. The Patriots Point complex is a nice facility when it's dry, but unfortunately it is in a low-lying area and holds water pretty badly when it's wet. We played on Field 1 at 9:45 this morning; there was standing water on the field. One of my players tried to dribble into the box on a breakaway and hit a deep puddle; the ball literally bogged down and stopped, and she tripped on it and nearly face-planted. (This is a player who does NOT make mistakes while dribbling.) This was happening to lesser effect all over that end of the field.

At some point you have to take into account not just damage to the field, but quality of the game and more importantly, player safety. There were several minor to medium injuries on both sides due to lack of control in the mud and water. I observed the tournament folks last night and this morning out on the fields with squeegees trying to sweep the excess water off the fields, but it was a losing battle as the rain continued; one last monsoon just around noon today pretty much finished off the flooding. Hate to say it, but I think for safety reasons, not playing those fields this afternoon was the right call.

We are waiting for a revised schedule for tomorrow; they are going to try to work in at least two games tomorrow for each team, even if they have to be abbreviated. The situation is unfortunate, but from what I can see, the tournament officials are NOT just saying, "oh, well, it rained, go home."

I've got good news and bad news...
L
throw in
throw in
L
Well said
98 Luna-Chicks are also standing by
We tied our first game and did not get to play the second.
It will be interesting to see how they seed the remaining divisions.
We are playing up, so just getting to play the older girls will work for us.

Rain at 12! My game was at 12 with the raincoat in the car!!!

Clinton

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Forcast for tonight is more rain.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah...let's just hope.

I've got good news and bad news...
B
bench
bench
B
MP Soccer is a joke...who is in charge. Went to all fields today and no standing water. Yes...it rained last night. Yes...they may have damage to their fields but that is the price you pay when you have a tournament. To cancel the games at all MP Soccer fields is irresponsible. I only drove 2 hours away and will not do a MP tournament again. We paid our money and MP ran with it.
In response to games being played with standing water...it is better than playing no games! I want a refund and will make sure my team doesn't come back!!

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Instead of crying on a forum board, take your message to the tournament director. Do you need her contact information?

B
bench
bench
B
Yes...that would be nice. You should be really proud to be affiliated with such a club??? What happen to why we are all on this site...SOCCER!! Has MP forgotten already.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Quote:

Yes...that would be nice. You should be really proud to be affiliated with such a club??? What happen to why we are all on this site...SOCCER!! Has MP forgotten already.

Contact Mary Ellen Urig at [Email]meurig@mpsoccer.net.[/Email] I hope you get your money back, but you have to promise not to come back. There is a reason this part of SC is called the Lowcountry. When your fields are at sea level, they drain that fast and they don't have to standing water on them for tem to be soaked.

My daughter's games were cancelled and I wish they could play but they can't control the weather.

Last edited by Fireant; 10/12/08 04:51 PM.
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard