Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Agree totally with futbol. Grades are very important and can make a huge difference. Also allows the coach to put together a complete scholarship package for the player. It shouldn't matter what percent is from athletic vs academic. You must realize women only have 11 and men 9 scholarships to give and they roster 24-32 players. Do the math.

most DI womens programs from what i am told have 14 scholarships.not all roster that many. some roster only 20 but i have seen as high as 39.

Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 10/16/08 04:28 PM.
S
throw in
throw in
S
My answer is, "very important." This is for a couple of reasons. Now tell me - what percentage of the SC club players have the abilities necessary to play at in top level DI program? Okay, now what percentage have the ability to play at a lower tier DI or at a DII school? Now that we all see that this is the vast majority of those that are actually going to play college ball, grades play a very important part in the determination of the total award.

Let's take DII - most have a TOTAL of anywhere from 3 to 5 scholarships. That's it folks - Total. Twenty girls dividing up 3-5 tuition and fees does not add up to a whole lot. Also consider that the coach has to give out of state players enough $$ to bring their costs down to the in-state level. This leaves very little left over for everyone else.

The private schools have the ability to supplement the award with "academic" money. This is their way of getting the player more athletic money yet stay within their conference's guidelines. This award IS based solely on grades and SAT scores.

Clear as mud? Thus, grades are very important.

H
brace
brace
H
ok now that everyone has had their say on important grades can someone tell me what grades and sat scores are needed for the scholarship money you can get.for example.. 1000 sat score and a 3.0 gets you what? does a 1100 and 3.5 get you more?

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Agreed. The vast majority of players will not continue a soccer career beyond college, therefore the first consideration would be how to be best prepared for the years that follow. I tell my players to first pick a college that suits their academic and career needs, and then choose the best playing options from within that group. [/quote

since it will be there last few years of playing soccer should the soccer program be considered when making your choice.i understand the academic part.

Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 10/16/08 04:48 PM.
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

Agree totally with futbol. Grades are very important and can make a huge difference. Also allows the coach to put together a complete scholarship package for the player. It shouldn't matter what percent is from athletic vs academic. You must realize women only have 11 and men 9 scholarships to give and they roster 24-32 players. Do the math.

most DI womens programs from what i am told have 14 scholarships.not all roster that many. some roster only 20 but i have seen as high as 39.

i just read they allow a DI school to have 12 for the womens.9.9 DII.the men are getting shafted.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I think once a player has a set of options that will satisfy future career needs (as well as any location and financial considerations), then it's time to choose among those based on the quality and "fit" of the soccer programs. If these really are the last years of organized soccer for a player, I would want them to be rewarding--something they can look back on with pride. And yes, there are many more factors in whether any given player will sit the bench or play other than just the overall size of the program.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Marcus,
yes..it is an assumption on my part..there are cases where Freshmen might start..I think it's a no brainer that a strong player would play more at a smaller school than let's say North Carolina..The bigger the school..The bigger the talent pool

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Shafted...!!!!???

try 85 full rides for football that have to be made up for women via title IX

Whether one likes to think of it or not, the reality is...this is a business transaction.

This transaction generates an asset (player) for which a return on the investment is expected (season play).

Most schools bring in 5 to 10 kids in a given year but have 9.9 men/14 women (d1 schools - I have note read 12 yet) to give away every year for a team comprised of approximately 25 players.

In this asset purchasing mode (recruiting) you need to know which assets are fully devalued by the time this asset comes in (graduation/left school). In all these cases you have a complex formula which has very little capital to use.

If the asset's cost is low due to high efficiency (good grades) then the amount needed to purchase this asset is lower and the left over capital can be used to purchase other assets.

If the asset is locally supplied delivery is usually cheaper (in state tuition), thus the cost is lower still.

Now as the owner of the business (coach) needs to make money (feed the family), they sometimes look for assets (perceived to be better) away from the local area. There is a cost to this asset but the ROI is perceived to be better.

Most schools accept this expense and allow the coach to "spend" accordingly. A private school has the ability, but as a tax payer I have a problem with giving money to out of country players to attend a public school... we can argue all day long about athletic budgets, just remember not everyone is USC or Clemson.In my opinion the money should be spent on state player first, american second.

world cup
world cup
I got a feeling Big Daddy will be entering the conversation soon......

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
H
brace
brace
H
i thought it was 14 and im sure it is but i wanted to make sure.i puched in college soccer scholarship and the first site i went to said 12.
as far as shafted i meant mens soccer.i dont want to go down this road but im sure the football programs 85 helps bring in more money than soccer.i know someone is going to say usc is loosing money on football but i dont see it.they just loose games.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard