Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Playing time is also associated with team make-up and need.

if the team is senior laden and very skilled ... you will sit the bench.

On most D1 schools freshmen rarely start some get playing time. USC men have two freshmen starting one of which is a local Dutch fork kid....So it happens but it is the exception not the rule.

When looking at schools Coach Chass hits the nail on the head pick the school that best suits you academically and then see how the program looks. Then see the roster makeup.... Lander University men program has something like 34 players.......ONE!!!.....ONE is a senior.... 15 are freshmen. Why would I want to go to Lander next year when my chances are low of stepping on the field in the next 2 years?

H
brace
brace
H
big daddy is lurking!!!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Nah....interesting arguments.

Though my guess is that the controller at a University will
see the costs related to athletic scholarships as expenses, not assets.

Though I like the depreciation/eligibility analogy.

Bottom line is coaches have a pool of money to divvy up. You can go local or you can go offshore (anything not local). Offshore will cost more.....so hopefully the payoff is worth it. Going local allows a coach to pull in things like lottery money for kids with decent grades, which allows him more flexibility with money.

So grades matter for in state schools and they matter for private schools where eligbile academic money may exceed athletic money.

The whole instate-outstate-foreign thing is another argument. Coaches get paid to win and that tough to do without good players. So coaches have to recruit the best players they can....while balancing the constraints of a player-scholarship ratio of at least 2 players per scholarship.

Its like the NFL and a salary cap...if you spend all your money on Tom Brady and Randy Moss or Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison....who's going to keep Urlacher out of your backfield?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I like the word lurking. Kind of like skulking.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
assets to the program, expenses to the controller...agreed

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
My guess is there's a formula out there. Med get 9.9 scholarships.

Full scholarships: we award 1 per year to best available player, regardless of where they are. Cost = 4 scholarships

1/2 scholarships: we award four 1/2 scholarships. Cost = 2 scholarships. 3.9 scholarships remaining.

1/3rd scholarships: we award 11 1/3rd scholarships. Cost = 3.66 scholarships.

A little less than a 1/4 scholarship: 1 player.

I have 20 players getting some form of scholarship, balance are walk ons trying to earn their way in.

My guess is.....you probably have more than 4 kids on full rides. Say 6....plus 4 halfrides. 10 kids on decent scholarships and everyone else is looking for a piece of 1.9 scholarships.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
A machine with a 25 year life is an asset. A tool that goes on the machine that wears out after awhile....is an expense.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
all in a point of view... in your point the program is the asset, the player the tool. in my view the program is the building in which I house my assets which depreciate as time goes by.

S
throw in
throw in
S
If you are being recruited by a college, one of the first questions should be, "how may scholarships do you have."
Sure, whether the allowed number is 9, 12 or 14, the conferences and school most often limit them to less.
Again, I would be shocked if any school other than the top DI's have a number even close to the allowed.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Futbol:

Sorry ur wrong, several schols offer full soccer money.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard