Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
You may understand it more than you realize since you use the word 'apparently' ...

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
I wouldn't read too much into that.

I said apparently, only because I didn't want to sound arrogant or all knowing, becasue I'm not. At least not all knowing....

So let me state this...the 2-3 college coaches I've talked to have asked me if my son is playing Academy.

And I say no. Charleston is too far to go 3-4x per week to train. And Charlotte....would more or less keep him from playing high school. He wants to play high school....and with where we live... the current Club/ODP model provides him the best opportunity to balance school and competitive soccer.

But is that in his best interests if a goal of his is to play D1 soccer in college?

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10/20/08 07:42 PM.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
BD - Does it matter where he plays? Or how he plays?

What is the difference between beating a solid team from GA 3-2 or a solid team from NY 3-2? (Other than the cost!)

If a coach is going to judge me on whether I played Academy or not - well, I would be asking a lot more questions of him or her than they would be of me!

This is for another thread, but a lot of college coaches like hot topics, whether it be ODP, RIII PL, or in this case Academy! Gives them something to talk about! I call it College speak ...

world cup
world cup
RECCOS,

I believe the Academy exists for identification purposes. Top D1 college coaches want to see the best kids in a competitive setting, here it is.....made easy for them.

College coaches have time and financial constraints.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Hurst,

I think you answered your own question. The Academy is about development. However.....it also makes identification a whole lot simpler. A potential recruit that doesn't play in an Academy maybe has an asterisk placed next to their name.

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

I don't think I asked a question, I was supporting your opinion.

You, though, propose an interesting point. It's fairly understood that ODP is about identification and NOT development.

Are you going to argue that the Academy Program is about both development AND identification? Can it serve both purposes? Would you emphasize one over the other?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Uh, yeah. Sorry. I think I was on scsoccer overload.

goal kick
goal kick

It seems to me that there is a gap between concept and reality in S.C. With all due respect to the Bridge, we now have two competing systems for top players in SC: Academy and ODP. Whatever the merits of the Academy program, we are more fragmented than before, because the largest clubs haven't bought into the Academy program. I'm sure that the Academy program offers great -- and perhaps geographically broader -- exposure for players. However, won't ODP still be a college recruiting venue until the big clubs buy in? I've also heard there is a Nike v. Adidas angle to all of this; any comments?

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I personally feel like you guys are reading too much into this. These college coaches (even though time constrained) are professionals who know what they are looking for. Word gets around within the circles who needs to be looked at whether they play Academy, RIII PL and/or ODP. High School ball is also important in its own way. You think when Northwestern and Spring Valley played the last several years that place was crawling with college coaches? Go out to the Palmetto Cup held at Brookland Cayce HS every spring - it's like a who's who of SC college coaches.
I'm simply saying give these guys credit - they generally have a network and a system for identifying the best players. You can give me the old "some fall through the cracks" argument - but I would argue thats the exception not the rule. You can also give me the "politics" argument. I'll agree it may seem like that sometimes but they can't play that game too often because their jobs depend on getting the best possible players to assure a winning program. Sure kids need to be aggressive in (for lack of a better word)"marketing" themselves but if they are truly D1 caliber there are several ways to be sure he/she will get looked at.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard