Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
I'm saying that you teach remedial kids one way and have one set of expectations for them. You teach Honors kids a different way and with different expectations.

In the world according to Big Daddy.....all kids are treated equally, respecting their individual talents and aspirations.

Regarding Bridge, as an interested outsider I thought the very existence of the BFA was for the Elite few. I never, ever thought that they were in the business to have B teams or classic teams. I thought that Summerville and James Island would serve the "masses", while Bridge offered a clean sheet of paper for the top players of the lower part of the State.

Sounds like a textbook illustration of focus to me. I have no idea why the concept is allegedly struggling.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10/20/08 09:34 PM.
world cup
world cup
Daddy,

Is there enough money in the kitty to support a DOC of an elite soccer club, if you limit that club to fielding only premier/challenge teams?

I don't think the concept worked at the Charlotte Soccer Club, and I don't think it would work at any other "super club" either. You need the large base at the bottom to cover some of the bigger expenses at the top.

Would it work at CESA?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Well, the beauty of the concept is that you don't need a separate DOC. The Academy programs don't have separate DOC's...they have highly qualified coaches.

I don't have the inside track on Bridge so I can't comment on that. But you don't need to have another overhead set for this. Lexus may have its own brand management.....but it still flows up into Toyota.

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

Don't you need to apply in order to be granted an Academy Program? These programs are generally not awarded to small clubs that provide only elite soccer. The "visionaries" of these clubs are generally experienced DOC's who need to be compensated for their efforts.

You seem to be advocating that Bridge FA stick to servicing only the top of the market, and I question how they can do that and still have the resources to fund an Academy Program.

Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps the Academy Programs are all self-funding with the burden falling solely on the shoulders of the parents whose kids are participating?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst,
Yes, the clubs have to be accepted into the academy program.How can a smaller elite club fund this program..Good question..I feel sure that the parents pay their part..Maybe there are sponorships that we know nothing about..Businesses that donate money do not always want their name on a jersey..Bridge does not have as big operating costs due to no large facility that it has to managed and keep up..They probably save some money where a large club would have a greater expense in up keep of facilities

D
kick off
kick off
D
It would be great for US soccer to have a Women's Development Academy program.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard