Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I think you need to wait and see CESA's results in the "A" Cup. I wouldn't be too concerned with their performance in the Presidents Medal Cup.

I'm sure CESA will show well at the highest level.

Still...if players and parents are investing in training--regardless of what level, or if it's the "showcase" that will make a name for the club--don't they deserve someone being "concerned" about whether they're keeping up with similar programs? Or do we just not care, as long as they're not the "A" teams?

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst forget Challenge..Think classic. Are you saying that they play their classic teams up to challenge? I could understand this..Does this mean that the rec teams are playing up to classic? So that's why they don't run the table on the championships?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Has the President's Medal Cup always used a round robin format, as opposed to a lose and you're out format like they use for the Challenge Cup? There was one case today where two undefeated teams tied their game and one was eliminated because the other team had scored more goals in the previous games. Doesn't seem like the best way to determine a champion.

Around 2002 or 2003, the Challenge State Cup was changed to the current "single elimination" format. Prior to that all state cups used the typical tournament format and the Presidents Medal and American cups still do. Section 14 of the President's Medal Cup manual outlines how the teams are organized in groups with sem-finals/finals or round robin play based on the number of teams entered. Section 20 lists the tie breaker procedures. The manual can be found here.

world cup
world cup
cht,

Maybe they do play what one could consider classic-level teams up one level higher at challenge. I don't understand the exact difference between the two cups (or leagues).

In North Carolina, state premier and R3PL teams must play in the State Cup. 1st and 2nd Division Classic teams have the option of playing in the State Cup. Most play in the Presidents Cup but a handful of 1st Division teams that want a real challenge will enter the State Cup.

As for league play, there is promotion/relegation, where in South Carolina you can sign up and play where you want.

How do the cups work in South Carolina?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

How do the cups work in South Carolina?

The top 8 teams that play in the Challenge League must advance to the Challenge Cup. No teams playing in the Challenge League are allowed to compete in the President's Medal Cup. All teams who play in any sanctioned SCYSA league other than the Challenge Cup are eligible to enter the President's Medal Cup.

G
throw in
throw in
G

In SC,

the State Cup takes the two R3PL teams and the six top 'challenge' league teams in a single elimination format, with the finalist and champion going to R3PL play the following year, and the champion going to regionals. Prior to R3PL play (i.e., at U13), the top 8 'challenge' league teams play in a single elimination format.

The President's Medal State cup (this past weekend) is a sign-up based tournament for SC's Classic teams. One or two divisions are made based on entrants. In divisions that were divided as I and II in regular season, that's pretty much how the teams are divided in the President's Medal State Cup. In divisions that had East/West flights, it seemed that the top half of teams from East and West played in President's Medal State Cup Division I and the bottom half played in Division II. The winner of Division I goes on to the Region President's Medal Cup .. which this year will be played in Greenville (last year was FL).

In terms of where did CESA end up at the PMSL divisions, I applaud them for continuing to place player development above results. They continued to put players in a position to be challenged and maximize their development. They've got 1 or 2 teams in each R3PL division this fall, and at least one team in every challenge division (except U18G). The fact that they didn't win a PM cup title this weekend has no relation to whether they care about classic level soccer ... and to say otherwise is ridiculous.

In looking at the results, I was more interested in the meaning of the diversity of clubs represented as champions and finalists. Your thoughts?

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Would you not expect the 'A' team from one club to beat the 'C' from another club?

The fact that the 'C' team is competing with the 'A' team should be commended.

Perhaps we should be asking questions of those 'A' teams ....

Note: The above classifications are in reference to this thread and the PMSL and Presidents Medal Cup.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I am just asking what is going on..A club wins 6 of 8 divisons at the challenge level and sometimes both teams playing for the title are from this club and no titles in the classic league..seems a bit odd..If the emphasis is on development so they play the teams up..that's fine for the player with the ability to move up but as we all know as the level rises the numbers go down.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
recos,
I do not believe you need to ask questions of the A teams..alot of the scores are close and some games went to PKs so I do not think their are to many big fish in the little pond when it comes to classic play

C
Coach
Coach
C
Depends on the nature and focus of the clubs, the number, experience, and goals of the players who are signing up, levels of program available at each club, and what you define as "A" through "C" teams.

Seldom a very simple answer to questions such as the above.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard