Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...The winner of Division I goes on to the Region President's Medal Cup .. which this year will be played in Greenville (last year was FL).

The 2008 Region 3 President's Cup was played in Columbus, Ga.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

They've got 1 or 2 teams in each R3PL division this fall, and at least one team in every challenge division (except U18G).

U18G Challenge division.

CESA 90 Girls Challenge plays in the SCSCL. They are currently second with a shot at first.

SCSCL standings (Lexington page)

world cup
world cup
I didn't realize that some teams in south Carolina (7th place or below in the Challenge league) don't even have the opportunity to participate in a State Cup.

Not saying it's wrong, after all, you have the whole season to finish in the top eight.......just interesting.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Yes..It's been that way for a while..Narrows the field down for State cup..The eight teams will play after league play has ended and the four winners from each age group go to State..One game on Saturday and one on Sunday..Not much of a chance of any Cinderella teams in Cup games

world cup
world cup
State Cup in North Carolina is group play, usually a 16-team or 12-team field. Sixteen-team you have to win your group to get to the sem-final. Twelve-team tournaments are three groups of four with a wild card getting to the semi-final as well.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
Goal
Goal
L
Hurst66,

NC (group play) setup is much better and allows for 1 bad game in group play but better teams can still make into the final 4.

SC (knockout play)not the best way to determine the best team and team that moves onto regionals.

world cup
world cup
letme,

NC group play is very expensive for the parents if your team qualifies for the Final Four. It can require three weekends of gas + hotels + meals.

There are pros and cons to both methods.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I am not a big advocate on the knockout play..A strong team has a bad game and their out..I do like the one game per day schedule.It takes the WE did not get enough time between games excuse out of it but to play a round robin would take three to four days

world cup
world cup
In North Carolina, for a 16-team or 12-team tournament, you play Saturday and Sunday the first weekend, Saturday OR Sunday the next weekend, and then Saturday (semi-final) and Sunday (final) the third weekend.

It's OK, but not perfect. In a four-team group you have seeds 1v4 and 2v3, then 1v3 and 2v4, then the last weekend it is 1v2 and 3v4.

That third game between the #3 and #4 seed is often meaningless. Both teams are usually mathmatically eliminated from advancing. There is also no promotion/relegation at stake so you are only playing for pride. If Greenville is the site and #3 is Bridge FA and #4 is Mt. Pleasant....it sure doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

C
Coach
Coach
C
One thing I did like about the format of this year's PMSL Cup was that everyone in our division (U18 Girls Division 1) had exactly the same game times across the board. I thought the games were placed a bit close together--8:00 and 11:30 for everyone on Saturday, 8:00 game and 12:00 final on Sunday--which may have favored teams with deeper benches, but at least everyone was guaranteed exactly the same rest period between games so there was not the "they had more recovery time than we did" issue.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard