Next Thread
Print Thread
#109935 10/21/08 01:10 PM
S
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
S
After plowing thru 19 pages of .......stuff....on the Mt. Pleasant's women's weekend, I was disappointed to not see a wimper about the men's this past weekend.

Saturday started off rainy....would the Mt. P czars allow the common folk to use their fields or would mother nature (again) win the day? I was driving down Coleman Blvd. and saw some little pointy football tykes tearing up the field at Moultrie school. Wait till I post this nugget of intel and stir things up. What? Football can tear up the fields but soccer can't? Alas, I came to the forum and not a thread to be found. Turned out, didn't matter as the tournament appeared to get played since scores got posted.

Scores from Mt. P men's weekend

Last edited by Soccer Watcher; 10/21/08 01:45 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
The only reason the thread was started was because a parent was not happy with their weekend..19 pages..no scores

R
bench
bench
R
Both of my teams had a great time at the tournament. Best of luck in the future we will be back.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Interesting article that appeared in Mt. Pleasant's Moultrie News.

Heavy rains last month put a damper on the town’s soccer fields and almost soccer tournament scheduled that if canceled would have been because of a rainout for the third year in a row.
Recreation Department Director Ken Ayoub had to make the tough decision as to whether or not to let the show go on.

He did, after some heated discussion between soccer booster club representatives and recreation officials.

The result, however is long term damage to some of the soccer fields.

Ayoub had to look at all the factors involved despite the fact that he was essentially put into a no-win situation.

And for a short term gain, the town now faces a long term loss and Mount Pleasant Public Works employees face the task of repairing the fields.

Town Administrator Mac Burdette told the Recreation Committee he would like to create a policy for the future that would address situations like this making it absolutely clear to all parties involved, why certain decisions are made when inclement weather threatens team or tournament play.

“We need to sit down with the booster clubs and decide whether our obligation is to the event or to our fields and determine how to put a measurement on that,” he said.

Burdette explained that there’s going to be someone upset, but when the director calls for play to cease, play will cease. The importance of the policy, he explained, is that every one involved will know why such a decision was made.

Committee member Billy Swails argued that common sense should be the main factor in this type of decision making.

“When it rains it rains. That should be one of those things that most people should understand,” he said.

Burdette explained that any policy would not be full proof, and he would like to see recreation staff work with all booster club representatives to create a solid, established policy with considerations that will come into play and reasonable factors that will be considered.

Ayoub said that the overriding factor for his most recent decision was so the tournament was not canceled for a third consecutive year.

But moving forward he will suggest that the number of teams be limited, the tournament date be moved and multiple sites be used.

The committee did not make a decision on this item, rather they asked that a policy be put together and presented once complete.

Last edited by Fireant; 11/06/08 07:22 PM.
Brace
Brace
Seems to be constant issues with that facility. They ought to field-turf the fields like Manchester Meadows!

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
goal kick
goal kick
We were there, and it may have truly been a "no win" situation. The Patriots' Point fields were torn up on Sunday morning, but I'm not sure that it was from tournament play. However, the fields at Cairo Middle School held up really well in spite of a downpour on Saturday morning. Perhaps more games could be moved to the Cairo fields? Also, maybe MPSC should look at having the tournament at a different time of year, as rain outs seem to plague these dates. However MPSC deserveS credit for continuing with the tournament instead of sending everyone home on a sunny Sunday. Overall, it was a well run tournament.

Link Copied to Clipboard