Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
L

Step 1 - is to let the coaches/colleges know that you're interested. They will send a profile to fill out and return.

Step 2 - Let the coaches/colleges know where your club team is playing (league and tournament schedules).

Step 3 - the coaches come and watch you play.

Sub limits are stupid!

Brace
Brace
Also agree with Man City. Being from West Coast my daughter was noticed while playing at CASL Shootout and Wags. More than enough coaches in attendance. She did contact the school she was interested in and provided them with her game schedule. Ditto at Surf Cup. Self promotion is required unless a national team member, especially if you have specific colleges in mind.

Rick Fielden
J
Brace
Brace
J
Hurst, there are the local coaches that show up from the smaller division II and III schools. I believe that some from the big ten were also there, but I don't know those on sight, unless I ask. I would say that I saw 20 or so people out scouting the tourny in MN.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
H
brace
brace
H
was told tonight that the 7 sub rule was only for the boys at disney.

L
Goal
OP Offline
Goal
L
i heard this, too but the rules/laws still indicate just 7 subs with no re-entry for u16g and older age groups.

D
Goal
Goal
D
According to the rules currently posted there is a difference between the girls and boys but only for the U-15 age group. U-15 boys are allowed 7 subs with re-entry allowed, U-15 girls have free substitution. Rules for U-16 through U-19 girls and boys both restrict subs to 7 per game, no re-entry allowed.

At the U-15 level the 7 subs with re-entry allowed rule for the boys has minimal impact, because the roster limit for the U-15's (girls and boys) is 18 players. However, the U-16's through U-19's have roster limits of 22 players. Any team in those age groups carrying more than 18 players will not only have to deal with the "no re-entry" rule, they will have to deal with 1-4 players per game never setting foot on the field.

As a major showcase tournament you will find many DII and DIII colleges there that will not be realistically looking to recruit the "best of the best", which is why everyone should get some opportunity for playing time and exposure in a tournament of this type.

I'm not sure how many of the clubs are aware of the rule. The application deadline was Aug. 15, the posted rules are dated Aug. 25, and the Labor Day qualifying tournament was played using free substitution for both genders, all age groups.

Good points have been made in this thread arguing the merit of limited substitutions as incentive to player effort, as well as preparation for next levels of play. However, as a showcase tournament I think this new rule will have many teams reconsidering the value of attending the tournament in the future. Unlike the college, professional, and national team levels, Disney is still a youth soccer showcase tournament where mom and dad are paying premium freight for participation and more importantly exposure.

I hope that by the time the tournament arrives, the team managers will be told by tournament officials at the team check-in, "by the way, the rules have changed, we're allowing free substitution"... same as you'll find at the Raleigh Showcase (also co-sponsored by Chelsea).

S
goal
goal
S
Delta;
I seriously doubt any team or club would turn down an invite to the showcase regaardless of the tournament rules. As far as tournaments, the showcase is in a class by itself.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Although the rules still state the girls have limited substitution, I contacted Disney and received clarification concerning the girls (all age groups) "...the no re-entry substitution rule is for the boys side of the Showcase only. The girls still have liberal substitution." I suggested they update the posted rules to avoid future confusion.

I was also informed by the folks at Disney that the rules change is, as some of you stated, an effort to include the USSF Development Academy teams. At this time, of course, this only includes boys teams. And, the posted academy rules at the USSF site are "7 max, no re-entry". However, USSF academy game rosters are limited to 18, and the posted "thought process" behind the substitution rule is this... "Allows the entire travel party to be eligible to participate; no re-entry ensures that the coach is looking at managing the entire game and not segments of the game through multiple re-entries in a single game." I guess they see the "7 max" as a relaxation of the "3 max", but with an allowed roster size of 22 I think application of the rule will have an opposite affect of the intent of the USSF... "Allows the entire travel party to be eligible to participate".

Well, I guess that is for the boys side to be concerned about. I can keep the hotel reservation for my daughter that will be traveling to the tournament with a 20 member team.

D
Goal
Goal
D
One other rule I found at the USSF website regarding academy substitutions and playing time... "Each player must start a minimum of 30% of the games". So, the intent of the rules at USSF seems less an incentive to drive the top players to dominate playing time, but rather to ensure more equitable playing time for all members of the teams involved.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Well, I guess that is for the boys side to be concerned about. I can keep the hotel reservation for my daughter that will be traveling to the tournament with a 20 member team.

DeltaDog is this the cesa u-18 girls that is up to 20 players going to disney? if it is i would have no problem making it 19 in a hurry.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard