Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Coach
Coach
C
I agree with better resources providing more opportunity for better results. I also think that the coaching resources play a bigger role than fields or other material resources. Some think that more money automatically equals better soccer; this is not necessarily true. Money can provide opportunity to gain resources, but unless those resources are properly applied, it's not an advantage.

I guess the question is, do people want to move players to the clubs with better resources, or do they want to try to improve the resources at the clubs where they are? As you addressed in your earlier post, would team loyalty and consistent year-to-year coaches and rosters help to improve performance, or is it better to move players around from club to club trying to find that "best" place? Would our area be better served by consolidating our few best players in one club to create one dominant team, or by trying to improve the level of play at several clubs, thereby increasing the level of local competition and giving each team better experience on the pitch close to home?

I know it's hard for any team or club to expand and improve while people are jumping ship; sometimes it takes time to build a program, and if nobody is willing to stick with it and invest that time--which includes some degree of trial and error--it never gets built.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I guess the best place is where everybody wins..The kids need to figure out what they want to get or achieve out of club soccer..Winning is a great thing..nobody wants to finish last.But If my child was a bubble or bench rider on the winning team or a leader on a average team working to get better..I think she would choose the average team..What I am saying is there is alot more to the game than the win/loss colums..

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

I guess the best place is where everybody wins..The kids need to figure out what they want to get or achieve out of club soccer..Winning is a great thing..nobody wants to finish last.But If my child was a bubble or bench rider on the winning team or a leader on a average team working to get better..I think she would choose the average team..What I am saying is there is alot more to the game than the win/loss colums..

I agree with you totally.It is not about winning all the time but player development,personal goals and fun. I have seen both U-14 girls teams play and a merger to form a Challenge and or/Premier Team and a Challenge and or/Classic Team would probably have been the best thing for all the girls. Too bad ego's, parental involvement and clubs get in the way. My daughter is playing where she wants to play. I hope all the others are too.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It is also short lived..Because once the team wins state and plays in Region three..the wins are hard to come by and the bickering starts all over again..Look at it this way..If your kids are happy..THEN they are winning..

G
bench
bench
G
Quote:

Which probably describes some of the girls at MPSC in the U14 and U13 agegroups. For some of them the social aspect is important. They want to get better as a team, they don't want to "jump ship." I don't think any of these kids have asperations to play R3....I think they just want to play soccer within the state. Why should that be a bad thing??????? Goals are a good thing for a team....but they need to be realistic goals.

Besides...the rumours and comments over the years are that Bridge has always had an air of superiority to the MP team....so why would anyone from MP even consider going there. It's interesting that we hear a Bridge parent complaining that the MP girls didn't run to Bridge....yet all we hear is how bad the MP team is....so why does Bridge want them???? Something to think about........

H
kick off
kick off
H
Which probably describes some of the girls at MPSC in the U14 and U13 agegroups. For some of them the social aspect is important. They want to get better as a team, they don't want to "jump ship." I don't think any of these kids have asperations to play R3....I think they just want to play soccer within the state. Why should that be a bad thing??????? Goals are a good thing for a team....but they need to be realistic goals.

Besides...the rumours and comments over the years are that Bridge has always had an air of superiority to the MP team....so why would anyone from MP even consider going there. It's interesting that we hear a Bridge parent complaining that the MP girls didn't run to Bridge....yet all we hear is how bad the MP team is....so why does Bridge want them???? Something to think about........

Like i said ......my daughter is playing where she wants to play. I would tell you if you took a poll of the U-14 Bridge Girls most of them would say they want to play college soccer.No one has said the MP Team is bad. The Bridge would welcome several players off of that team to join them.
The bottom line of all of this is that all the clubs in the Charleston area should do what is in the best interest of all these kids and join together in some way, shape or form and then build teams that are competitive at all levels in and out of state .It makes me

G
bench
bench
G
Quote:

Like i said ......my daughter is playing where she wants to play. I would tell you if you took a poll of the U-14 Bridge Girls most of them would say they want to play college soccer.No one has said the MP Team is bad. The Bridge would welcome several players off of that team to join them.
The bottom line of all of this is that all the clubs in the Charleston area should do what is in the best interest of all these kids and join together in some way, shape or form and then build teams that are competitive at all levels in and out of state .It makes me

Actually, some of the early posts in this thread were to put down the MP teams and they were most certainly labeled as bad teams that did not have successful seasons. I don't have the energy to look, but I believe it was stated they were "not successful." If that's not a put down, I don't know what is.

sounds like the girls on both teams have different philosophies for what they want out of soccer. Why exactly should the better players at MP jump ship to go to Bridge? You think they should go just because Bridge wants "some" of them in order to make Bridge happy. In my world, that is called an entitlement attitude. Shows total lack of respect for the MP players and parents.

If MP want to make their team better, AS A TEAM, then good for them. As CHT has stated, the girls need a say in where they want to play. I know of one guy who has two children that play and he constantly is moving all over the place. The kids are miserable because part of soccer for them is having fun with the their teammates. Dad doesn't care, he just wants them on winning teams. Wins don't mean as much when the players don't like playing with the "winning" team because of how those winning players behave and treat one another.

I just think it is incredibly arrogant to think the MP girls should jump ship just because Bridge feels they need a few good players to round out their roster.

Perhaps before any talks of a merger of the teams needs to start, some people need to learn to show respect for the other team, both players and parents.

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L

Which probably describes some of the girls at MPSC in the U14 and U13 agegroups. For some of them the social aspect is important. They want to get better as a team, they don't want to "jump ship." I don't think any of these kids have asperations to play R3....I think they just want to play soccer within the state. Why should that be a bad thing??????? Goals are a good thing for a team....but they
need to be realistic goals.

You have this spot on that the goals have to be realistic and at that age is all about player development, and especially girls need to have some kind of success along the way to be even more interested in what they do. That's why I said the DOC should have recognized that the teams should be placed where they can succeed and build on that.
Those girls seem very loyal to their home club and that's a great thing and rare to find.
With the amount of players MP should attract to the tryouts in that area there is no way they shouldn't be competetive with Lexington, CESA or CUFC at that age group.

MPSC has a pretty good rec and academy system which is a key to be succesful. For some reason there is a break in a chain somewhere and no one can find it where.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Wow...this thread's been busy! What you guys have been saying is spot-on with my observations; it really should be about the players' goals and whether they are having a good experience with what they are doing. Players who are happy with where they are and who they are with have a greater chance of achieving "success," however you want to define it. Wins do not necessarily translate into player development; some of the greatest strides in individual ability I've seen over the last few years have been with players on teams who started out struggling and learned HOW to win with the players they have.

I had the pleasure this year of coaching a "reunited" team--girls who had played together at younger ages, but had been split off into different teams for different reasons. They came back together their senior year for one last season together, and the results were pretty impressive; attitude, morale, and effort were improved, the girls actually had FUN playing together, and their performance (state finalists) was the best yet. I still maintain that many players--girls especially--are at their best when they enjoy what they do, not just when they're pushed from spot to spot simply trying to find the most wins.

I've got good news and bad news...
H
kick off
kick off
H
sounds like the girls on both teams have different philosophies for what they want out of soccer. Why exactly should the better players at MP jump ship to go to Bridge? You think they should go just because Bridge wants "some" of them in order to make Bridge happy. In my world, that is called an entitlement attitude. Shows total lack of respect for the MP players and parents.

If MP want to make their team better, AS A TEAM, then good for them. As CHT has stated, the girls need a say in where they want to play. I know of one guy who has two children that play and he constantly is moving all over the place. The kids are miserable because part of soccer for them is having fun with the their teammates. Dad doesn't care, he just wants them on winning teams. Wins don't mean as much when the players don't like playing with the "winning" team because of how those winning players behave and treat one another.

I just think it is incredibly arrogant to think the MP girls should jump ship just because Bridge feels they need a few good players to round out their roster.

Perhaps before any talks of a merger of the teams needs to start, some people need to learn to show respect for the other team, both players and parents.
You seem to be angry about something????? All i am interested in is having my daughter play on a team where she is happy and meeting her own goals. Not mine,not yours and not a club.As far as the "some" players, i was referring to the girls i think have the same goals as mostof the girls on the Bridge.

Last edited by headsup; 11/23/08 08:01 PM.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard