Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Any thoughts on what MPSC is planning on doing with their u14 girls challenge team next season? From all indications MPSC will combined their u13 and u14 teams to allow their u14 challenge team to have the numbers to continue on as a team. The u14 girls challenge team struggled without a win and the u13 girls challenge team struggled in league play. IMO I am not sure adding younger players is in the best interest in developing players and teams. Is this a decision that is being made by the so called soccer professionals in the best interest of the club or in the name of developing players?

Brace
Brace
IMO I am not sure adding younger players is in the best interest in developing players and teams.

Many experts believe that your best development comes when you have the younger players - that can compete mind you - participate and play with the older players.

S
bench
bench
S
Well, if players are leaving at least one of the teams...and they don't have enough for a team....what should the club do? And if the players are unhappy on the other team because there is not enough depth, what should the club do?

Or should they just not play this spring since there are not enough girls to field a team in one group and there are unhappy girls/parents on the other team.

What other options do you think they have?!?!?!?

And if the U13's are at a skill level that they can move up...what exactly is the harm. Plenty of teams around the state have players of younger age levels playing up.

And...as noted, both teams struggled during the season.

So where exactly should these U14 and U13 girls play? What would be your solution?

Why the insult to the DOC and coaches at MPSC?

Last edited by SoccerRulesMyLife; 11/17/08 02:56 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
I'm not sure how combining U13 and U14 players would hurt player development; putting the best of the two teams would seem to allow them to be more competitive and have the numbers to continue playing at a more competitive level, as opposed to trying to make two teams who aren't seeing success. What do you see as the negatives of the solution? Perhaps that some U13 players will be left out due to having too many players for one team rather than too few for two? Just curious.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I don’t think that soccer skill level has anything to do with the players moving up. Ya, great for the younger players to be playing up for their development but what about the older girls? Maybe instead try dropping down to the appropriate skill level and develop there. With the Bridge 94 girls and the SAA 94 girls all having the same problem in the Low Country with numbers why can’t something be worked out between the DOCs? With some at the Classic level and some at the Challenge level for next season and then through try-outs make the adjustment of players to the level they need to be at in their individual development.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
The negative of the solution is not only are you displacing some of the u13 girls but are you really creating a competative team or just putting a team together to keep every player at MPSC?

I think the real solution for the Low Country would be for MPSC, SAA, and Bridge to work together for the best interest of the girls. Divided we all fail.

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

I don’t think that soccer skill level has anything to do with the players moving up. Ya, great for the younger players to be playing up for their development but what about the older girls? Maybe instead try dropping down to the appropriate skill level and develop there. With the Bridge 94 girls and the SAA 94 girls all having the same problem in the Low Country with numbers why can’t something be worked out between the DOCs? With some at the Classic level and some at the Challenge level for next season and then through try-outs make the adjustment of players to the level they need to be at in their individual development.

Well, since you solution here involves SAA and Bridge...why the interest in MPSC...and the knock on their DOC's/coaches?

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

The negative of the solution is not only are you displacing some of the u13 girls but are you really creating a competative team or just putting a team together to keep every player at MPSC?

I think the real solution for the Low Country would be for MPSC, SAA, and Bridge to work together for the best interest of the girls. Divided we all fail.

This could be said for ALL THREE CLUBS....not just MPSC. Why don't SAA or Bridge send thier players to one of the other clubs. It goes both ways. Take what you wrote and insert SAA and Bridge where you have MPSC and the same holds true.

I agree that the kids are caught in the middle, and hopefully something will be done, but I wouldn't go pointing a finger at just one of the clubs as being the obstacle.

For the sake of all those girls, I hope that something gets done, but it is going to take GIVING UP something by all three clubs....not just one of them.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Well, since you solution here involves SAA and Bridge...why the interest in MPSC...and the knock on their DOC's/coaches?

I have a vested interest to field the best competitive team in this age group for the Low Country and try and compete at the Challenge Level. I would not say that MPSC fielded a competitive team this or last Season at the challenge level. I believe I used the term soccer professionals and the "knock" was not just directed at MPSC but I would include Bridge and SAA DOCs for not working together in the best interest of all these 94 girls.

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

I have a vested interest to field the best competitive team in this age group for the Low Country and try and compete at the Challenge Level. I would not say that MPSC fielded a competitive team this or last Season at the challenge level. I believe I used the term soccer professionals and the "knock" was not just directed at MPSC but I would include Bridge and SAA DOCs for not working together in the best interest of all these 94 girls.

I will go along with you on this one, that it is ALL three clubs that need to work together for both the 94's and the 95's.

The best off of each of these teams, in both age groups, could create some strong teams able to complete with other large clubs in the state.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
SSC and JIYSC both had competitive teams at the 95 age group. Maybe the unhappy players from the MPSC 95 girls should be looking into that avenue if they are wanting to change teams.

How about this for a solution for the 94 girls... combined the Bridge and MPSC best girls making one team. Each seasonal year swap club names to make both the Bridge and MPSC DOCs happy$$$

Or how about both MPSC and Bridge girls form a team with the Daniel Island club?

Anyone else with ideas to help with the Low Country 94 girls? Or is it okay to continue to lose our best talented girls to CESA.

S
bench
bench
S
Would you send your unhappy MPSC 95 to,

A) JIYSC 95 who is loosing their coach due to parental
involvement

B) SSC 95 who had their coach fired by the club

C) DISA 95 who had 1 goal all season

D) CUSC/ST ANDREWS REC DEPT?

Why do we keep looking to clubs who do not have facilities or support staff?

If you do not have fields you cannot practice much less play.

It is about the Girl's not the DOC or Club.

S
bench
bench
S
Whoa....are you saying Kevin is gone from SSC????

I don't know the guy from James Island, I think he was new this year.

I know DISA struggled this fall, I wonder what those players will do for the spring...come back???

C
bench
bench
C
Quote:

A) JIYSC 95 who is loosing their coach due to parental
involvement

As Mark Twain put it....The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

D) CUSC/ST ANDREWS REC DEPT?

Nothing negative to say about CUSC except just to call the full name in all caps? Considering the other potshots, I'd call that quite the recommendation.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Here's just a thought, and it's based on certain assumptions that may or may not be true...again, non-affiliated.

Just by observation, many Challenge teams that are hurting for numbers actually consist of partly "true" Challenge players and partly Classic-level players who are asked to play up in order to fill out roster spots. Having two teams in age groups that close together (U14 and U13) would mean that these two teams would be splitting Challenge-level players who could play effectively on the same team.

By combining the U13 and U14 teams, it would be possible to put all of the "true" Challenge players together to form one competitive squad. Since MPSC also fields Classic teams, the Classic-level players from each team who would be "displaced" could in actuality be placed on a Classic team at an appropriate level so that they can be competitive and have a fulfilling, highly developmental season as well. Both teams would be more uniform in talent level, and both would have an opportunity to be successful.

There may be a dozen reasons why this may not work out, but it seems like something to consider.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I think everyone on some level wants their team to be the best competitive team in their grouping. Winning is a heckuva thrill. Still, these are 12 to 14-year-olds who are still developing as players...does there really need to be all that pressure for them to be the "best competitive team in their age group for the Low Country" right now, or is it more important to think about what they might grow into, given time and opportunity, by the time colleges start looking at them later? The conditions that produce the most wins at 13 aren't always the ones that produce the best players at 18.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Quote:

I know DISA struggled this fall, I wonder what those players will do for the spring...come back???

My thought is that they will drop down to classic.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Quote:

Quote:

By combining the U13 and U14 teams, it would be possible to put all of the "true" Challenge players together to form one competitive squad. Since MPSC also fields Classic teams, the Classic-level players from each team who would be "displaced" could in actuality be placed on a Classic team at an appropriate level so that they can be competitive and have a fulfilling, highly developmental season as well. Both teams would be more uniform in talent level, and both would have an opportunity to be successful.

I like this idea....seems like a win win situation for all. What a great idea placing players at the level they belong to help in their development.

Doesn't look like this is the path that MPSC is going. MPSC will keep all thier U14 players together and bring up enough U13 players to fill a U14 Challenge team. MPSC will then combined the remaining U13 players from their two U13 teams to make one.

Could be some unhappy parents and players for those on the bubble and not selected for the U14 team.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It's a competitive sport...nothing wrong with that

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like this idea....seems like a win win situation for all. What a great idea placing players at the level they belong to help in their development.

Doesn't look like this is the path that MPSC is going. MPSC will keep all thier U14 players together and bring up enough U13 players to fill a U14 Challenge team. MPSC will then combined the remaining U13 players from their two U13 teams to make one.

Could be some unhappy parents and players for those on the bubble and not selected for the U14 team.

Hmmmmm....I'm puzzled by your comment that it "doesn't look like this is the path MPSC is going." Your version of what you say they are doing is the same thing the previous poster said....you just worded it differently.

If some of the U13s were not selected to play up...could it be that they were not at that skill level. This is the same thing as others have said.....why would you say that is not what they are doing.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Hmmmmm....I'm puzzled by your comment that it "doesn't look like this is the path MPSC is going." Your version of what you say they are doing is the same thing the previous poster said....you just worded it differently.

If some of the U13s were not selected to play up...could it be that they were not at that skill level. This is the same thing as others have said.....why would you say that is not what they are doing.

It is worded different because it is different. MPSC is keeping all the true U14 players on the U14 Challenge team no matter what their skill level and pulling U13 players to fill a roster. I believe Coach Chass suggested selecting the best players to form a U14 Challenge team and the rest would play on a U14 Classic team.

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

It is worded different because it is different. MPSC is keeping all the true U14 players on the U14 Challenge team no matter what their skill level and pulling U13 players to fill a roster. I believe Coach Chass suggested selecting the best players to form a U14 Challenge team and the rest would play on a U14 Classic team.

What is the breakdown on how many U14's are challenge and how many are classic? And, how many of the U13's are challenge and how many are classic? Can the U13 classic players compete at U14 classic? Are there U13 players not being moved to the U14 team who are better than any of the other U14s on the team?

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I believe only MPSC DOC can answer your questions.

MPSC DOC has stated that all true U14 girls would be on the U14 Challenge team. So, I guess all the true U14 girls are Challenge level players. What was there record in Challenge league this season?

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

I believe only MPSC DOC can answer your questions.

MPSC DOC has stated that all true U14 girls would be on the U14 Challenge team. So, I guess all the true U14 girls are Challenge level players. What was there record in Challenge league this season?

The 14's went 1-7, with 4 goals scored and 16 against. That's 2.28 goals scored on them per game. Their worst games was a 6-2 loss. Sounds like they had problems finding the back of the net...nothing more than that. They clearly were not clobbered each game.

The 13s went 2-6, with 6 goals for and 17 against. That's 2.12 goals scored on them per game. Looks like they have problems finding the back of the net as well. Their worst loss was a 6-0 to Col United, and then a 4-0 to the MPSC 96s. They were clearly competitive though if you look at the stats.

Don't know what the fuss is.

Looks to me like MPSC just needs to focus on teaching those players to finish and score.

Why so harsh on them?

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
No Fuss and not harsh on anyone.

For the record the U14 was 0-6 with only 3 goals scored. Two games were canceled due to rain CUSC and CESA 95 both with winning records.

I believe the 2 wins for the U13 team were against the struggling DISA team.

So, were either of these teams competitive at the challenge level. I would have to say no.

I wish the best of luck in the Spring to the 2 Low Country girl's U14 Challenge teams.

Divided We All Fail!

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

For the record the U14 was 0-6 with only 3 goals scored. Two games were canceled due to rain CUSC and CESA 95 both with winning records.

So, were either of these teams competitive at the challenge level. I would have to say no.

I wish the best of luck in the Spring to the 2 Low Country girl's U14 Challenge teams.

Divided We All Fail!

I went by the SCYSA website. Why would they give them a win for a game not played.

Hmmmm.....you didn't address the other stats I posted....you know...the average goals per game scored against them.

If you have a U14, what is your reason for them not playing at MPSC? If she is that good, perhaps she could add to the team. Sounds like they need a good forward to get them some goals.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
SRML
You cannot judge anything other than won/lost record. Losing/winning big or small is due to too many variables not shown in the stat sheet....i.e red card (highly unlikely) or not enough players or very tough first game and a second game against a fresh team (it does happen even though it is not desirable)

Suffice to say that other teams were more succesful this time around

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I went by the SCYSA website. Why would they give them a win for a game not played.

The team manager or coach of one of the teams usually enters the score and it goes in the books that way unless contested. The league does not usually enter the scores unless there is a forfeit. The August game vs CUFC Elite that is scored as a 1-0 MPSC win was a rain-out and was never rescheduled. Since the fall season for U14 does not count toward state cup seeding, teams are not required to make up rainouts so there would not be a forfeit. My guess is a manager or coach accidently entered the score on the wrong game and I don't know of a way for anyone but the league to change it once it is entered.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Divided We All Fail!

It's obvious from your posts that you are quite unhappy with your daughter's team performance and even more upset with the path MPSC has chosen to take for combining these age groups. Anyone interested in looking at this fall's league results can see that the now disbanded 95 Elite team, U14 team and the U13B team did not have "winning" seasons.

It appears that any argument given on why this recent decision might lead to some success for the two teams will be shot down by you. Is success measured only by a team's season(s)? How do you differentiate success between a team as a whole and an individual player? How do you meet the needs of each individual player as well as the needs of the team as a whole? These are not questions that can be answered with a one-sentence response (my opinion). Do you feel there is a magical solution that is being grossly overlooked by the powers that be? If so, would that magical solution be of benefit to only your daughter or all of the girls affected by the combination? From another thread, it's also apparent that you are unhappy with ODP and how that has been handled within the state as well. Are their ANY positives you can attribute to your daughter's recent soccer experience? Does your daughter feel the same way you do? Food for thought.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Everyone has their own ideas in what they use to measure success. In the sports world win/lose records are usually the starting point especially for those not directly associated with a particular team. Because those looking from the outside in do not always know the situations and challenges that are internal to a particular team. I would hope that each and every team is working to win games and wants to win when they show up for a game. I judged the success of the U14 team this past season from my perspective of success. My daughter’s responses when I asked these questions on this past seasons performance are in parentheses ().

1. Having Fun (occasionally but usually not during games… very frustrated with commitment level of teammates)
2. Competitive in league play (would have been nice to win a few games seemed we were always playing from behind early in games)
3. Meeting Team Goals (I can’t think of any that we accomplished…..she listed 4 that the team had set at the beginning of the season)
4. Meeting Individual Goals (She said she was able to accomplish 1 out of 5 that she had set for herself at the beginning of the season)
5. Did you learn anything this past season (not really)

So, using how I measure success the U14 team did not have a successful season. I believe that the soccer professionals that we as parents pay are responsible for ensuring that both the needs of individuals is met as well as the needs of the team as a whole. Sure it is a balancing act and probably almost impossible to achieve. But is that not what a coach does?

There is no magical solution for this age group in the Low Country but consolidation would not only benefit my daughter but 15 other true U14 players in the area. I do understand why MPSC is combining the 13 and 14 group but 7 or 8 younger players playing up at the challenge level may not be setting the team up for success. As a parent I just do not understand why 2 clubs can’t get together and do what is best for the girls. Maybe it is time for the parents of these girls to sit down together all together and come up with a solution instead of relying on the DOCs.

ODP is talked in length on another thread and from my vantage point is a program that is not working on the girl’s side in South Carolina. There are 4 to 5 girls in the 94 group that are very talented and deserve recognition from the Regional coaches. I also think that there is a lot more that SCYSA could be doing to train the entire 94 team. More training and more games for this group would help the team be successful at Regional camp and allow our top talent to get noticed. Better ODP players would trickle down to making for better club teams that could be successful in the region and help promote SC soccer.

The past few Seasons have put a tremendous strain on my daughter’s love of the game. But, I keep telling her there is always next Season.

Goal
Goal
1. These girls are 12 and 13 years of age. I'd say wait a couple of years before you spend countless hours on here writing a diatribe about the painstaking task that is 6th and 7th grade girls soccer. The "elite" level player is still in its infancy at that point.

2. What you're not getting is that club soccer is a business. It's ruthless at times with the picking off of some of the best players from teams and them going to these super teams etc etc. Unless you're willing to front the bill for 3 different clubs or start your own, good-luck finding the "best interest for these girls" or at least the best interests in your eyes.

3. Your point on girls ODP is well taken. It's pretty abysmal and has been for quite some time.

R
bench
bench
R
SoccerDad, Your daughter was given the opportunity to go to another club before this merger took place. Why aren't your bags packed yet? Are you one of these parents who, it is not going to matter where your daughter ends up, you will always have personal problems with teams/players and coaches? Sure does sound like it to me. Move up and on if you're not happy and just be done with it! I'm sure your daughter's team will be better off in the long run without the negativity that you obviously bring along with you.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Quote:

1. These girls are 12 and 13 years of age. I'd say wait a couple of years before you spend countless hours on here writing a diatribe about the painstaking task that is 6th and 7th grade girls soccer. The "elite" level player is still in its infancy at that point.

2. What you're not getting is that club soccer is a business. It's ruthless at times with the picking off of some of the best players from teams and them going to these super teams etc etc. Unless you're willing to front the bill for 3 different clubs or start your own, good-luck finding the "best interest for these girls" or at least the best interests in your eyes.

3. Your point on girls ODP is well taken. It's pretty abysmal and has been for quite some time.

1. I understand what you are saying but the U14 girls are 8th and 9th graders if we don’t take an interest in them now we will lose them to other activities. Point in that 3 of the U14 girls will not return in the Spring because of other interest.

2. And this is exactly why soccer is in the shape it is here in the US. These clubs hide under their non-profit status and continue to overcharge and under provide. I am not saying I know what is in the best interest of these girls I am not a Soccer Professional or claim to be. I just know they deserve better and the only way they are going to get it is if parents demand more.

3. We as parents need to demand more from SCYSA.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Quote:

SoccerDad, Your daughter was given the opportunity to go to another club before this merger took place. Why aren't your bags packed yet? Are you one of these parents who, it is not going to matter where your daughter ends up, you will always have personal problems with teams/players and coaches? Sure does sound like it to me. Move up and on if you're not happy and just be done with it! I'm sure your daughter's team will be better off in the long run without the negativity that you obviously bring along with you.

My daughter’s bags are not packed because the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence we’ve been there and taken a look. Same brown grass fed with same fertilizer. The other clubs have the same problems with numbers and quality. If we as parents do not demand more we will continue to get status quo. And here in the Low Country that means mediocrity from our clubs.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Why doesn't your daughter convince three or four of the best players on her team to attend tryouts at the other club? The age group can "merge" without the clubs having to sponsor it.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Try-outs don't take place until May. Hopefully, this will happen in some form next year. Sould have happened last year but too many obstacles to overcome.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Several posts in this thread seem to allude to the idea of combining teams to form a new team in the middle of the seasonal year which runs August-to-August. Has MPSC gotten an exception to the SCYSA rule that only allows a select team to receive up to 5 transfers from another select team during the seasonal year? Or are 5 transfers each way enough to accomplish the purpose?

corner kick
corner kick
Sounds like this is just another reply of "As the Lowcountry Turns," except in this case, only regarding one team.

Anyway, regardless of whether he's complaining too much or too little or for the right or wrong reasons...the exact same things from every other discussion over it still stand. MPSC is a facet of the MP Rec Dept. Their DOC and Board pretty much don't have a say in whether or not to merge or do things because, inevitably, everything gets kicked up to the town level.

Now, someone said there may actually be some talks now that the DOC and leadership at MPSC has changed, but due to the hierarchy, I would be surprised if it were anything more than putting hard pressure on the town to let them go into talks. With the history of the rec dept. and the club, the only solution I can see them agreeing on is to accept Bridge FA as the "select" program under the banner and (maybe) colours of MPSC. I just don't see them as being willing to give up the prestige factor of competitive soccer.

Again though, the soccer here is a business model, in the end. You've got to pay coaches and DOCs and maintain fields, etc. and that is almost always going to trump a team or a few players and their best interests because at the worst, no one has a place to play.

In this case, I think the solution is for the parents to vote with their wallets, and feet, and get together and discuss what they want to do for the best of their girls. Nothing is going to happen midseason because, obviously, we have the transfer rule in effect and mixing up a team midseason can be a bad idea anyway.

But come spring, get together with other parents and make a unilateral decision to take your girls where they can get the best development they can. Assuming days don't overlap, try em out at MPSC and Bridge, evaluate the quality of players at both tryouts, and then, as a group, make your decisions when the rosters come in for both teams. Maybe it's only adding 4-5 players to a team, but added to the few solid players on the team already, it will be a definite upgrade and can possibly result in others making the decision to switch to the team next season.

Last edited by adidaskitten86; 11/21/08 09:19 PM.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Go to CESA, those that do don't come back.

C
Coach
Coach
C
If competition breeds excellence, and all the good players go to CESA, then who will they compete with? Sure, they might have a great winning record, but would they really be pushed to move forward in player development?

Losing matches while playing well against the odds often leads to greater player progress than winning with a stacked deck.

H
kick off
kick off
H
It is unfortunate that these very talented 14 y.o. girls have had such a tough year.The best thing to do would be for MP to let go of their top U-14 girls and send them to the Bridge. There is too much pressure put on these girls to make decisions on there own that most adults would have trouble making.There are still 3-4 U-14 Girls on the MP team that will suffer this year with development and level of play, due to addition of 4-5 U-13 players. You are only as good as your competition no matter who you play for or who your coach is.

G
bench
bench
G
Quote:

It is unfortunate that these very talented 14 y.o. girls have had such a tough year.The best thing to do would be for MP to let go of their top U-14 girls and send them to the Bridge. There is too much pressure put on these girls to make decisions on there own that most adults would have trouble making.There are still 3-4 U-14 Girls on the MP team that will suffer this year with development and level of play, due to addition of 4-5 U-13 players. You are only as good as your competition no matter who you play for or who your coach is.

Please don't go there on this. There are just as many parents/players in MP who would say the Bridge players should move to MP. The Bridge team is a mixture as well of varying ages, so why shouldn't they be the ones to make the move.

There are arguments both ways, but don't disrespect the girls that are staying to play on the U13 and U14 MP teams in the spring.

I think there are alot of teams in this state that have kids playing up a year on teams. Besides, there is more to all of this than just what club you play for. For some of these girls, they also take into consideration the social aspect, the level of sportsmanship, and teammates that are respectful to one another.

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L
Please don't go there on this. There are just as many parents/players in MP who would say the Bridge players should move to MP. The Bridge team is a mixture as well of varying ages, so why shouldn't they be the ones to make the move.

There are arguments both ways, but don't disrespect the girls that are staying to play on the U13 and U14 MP teams in the spring.

I think there are alot of teams in this state that have kids playing up a year on teams. Besides, there is more to all of this than just what club you play for. For some of these girls, they also take into consideration the social aspect, the level of sportsmanship, and teammates that are respectful to one another.

The only problem with you saying that Bridge players should move to MPSC instead of the other way around is that 94 Bridge team has had some success in the past (apart from being knocked out from the state cup in the semis in the Spring) and is a very good team. Those few players would add more depth to already a very good team and hopefully help them trying to win a spot in the Premier League for next year.

Everyone always talks about being a team player and all that, but in reality there is really no loyalty to the club or coaches on that matter that developed all those kids anymore and when things don't go according to the plan (parent's plan) many parents pack their bags and end up going to a better club. What does that teach the kids? It's hard to blame parents to do so but in case of a 13 or 14 year olds when does a coach gets a chance to build some kind of stability when he has to deal with new kids every year?

MPSC 95's Elite should have placed their team in the PMSL this past Fall (the DOC or whoever makes the decision about the team placement should have recognize that) and after having some success and confidence they could have move up in the Spring. Both them and DISA are a good example of parents expectations being a bit too high.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How about this...Let the kids decide where they want to play.

H
kick off
kick off
H
The Bridge U-14 girls have a solid 10 players that can play challenge or premier level soccer. They only have one player that is not age appropriate and is playing up. In the Fall Challenge League they only lost one game .....mostly due to the fact they started the first game of the season with 10 players and finished the game with 8 due to injuries.

G
bench
bench
G
Quote:

How about this...Let the kids decide where they want to play.

That sounds like a great idea!

My point was that if thre was interest in the teams combining, it means the option is there for both teams. it doesn't have to be MP to Bridge....why can't it be Bridge to MP? Maybe he didn't mean it that way, but it came across as arrogance that the only option is for MP to go to Bridge.

Both teams have new coaches, things are changing...

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
There is no easy answer...When it came to choosing where to play..My child made that decision as long as it was within reason..

C
Coach
Coach
C
I think that may be one reason it's so hard to get true cooperation among clubs...when proponents of one club come across as saying "just send your best players to us, we can do things with them that you can't," the natural reaction to that is, "Oh, yeah? Just watch us."

I never put all my faith in Dr. Phil or anyone else who claims to have all the best answers.

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L
No one is perfect and surely no one has all the answers but there are clubs that can say that and actually back that up - CUFC, CESA, Bridge at times. Better resources (fields, coaches) = better results.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I agree with better resources providing more opportunity for better results. I also think that the coaching resources play a bigger role than fields or other material resources. Some think that more money automatically equals better soccer; this is not necessarily true. Money can provide opportunity to gain resources, but unless those resources are properly applied, it's not an advantage.

I guess the question is, do people want to move players to the clubs with better resources, or do they want to try to improve the resources at the clubs where they are? As you addressed in your earlier post, would team loyalty and consistent year-to-year coaches and rosters help to improve performance, or is it better to move players around from club to club trying to find that "best" place? Would our area be better served by consolidating our few best players in one club to create one dominant team, or by trying to improve the level of play at several clubs, thereby increasing the level of local competition and giving each team better experience on the pitch close to home?

I know it's hard for any team or club to expand and improve while people are jumping ship; sometimes it takes time to build a program, and if nobody is willing to stick with it and invest that time--which includes some degree of trial and error--it never gets built.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I guess the best place is where everybody wins..The kids need to figure out what they want to get or achieve out of club soccer..Winning is a great thing..nobody wants to finish last.But If my child was a bubble or bench rider on the winning team or a leader on a average team working to get better..I think she would choose the average team..What I am saying is there is alot more to the game than the win/loss colums..

H
kick off
kick off
H
Quote:

I guess the best place is where everybody wins..The kids need to figure out what they want to get or achieve out of club soccer..Winning is a great thing..nobody wants to finish last.But If my child was a bubble or bench rider on the winning team or a leader on a average team working to get better..I think she would choose the average team..What I am saying is there is alot more to the game than the win/loss colums..

I agree with you totally.It is not about winning all the time but player development,personal goals and fun. I have seen both U-14 girls teams play and a merger to form a Challenge and or/Premier Team and a Challenge and or/Classic Team would probably have been the best thing for all the girls. Too bad ego's, parental involvement and clubs get in the way. My daughter is playing where she wants to play. I hope all the others are too.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It is also short lived..Because once the team wins state and plays in Region three..the wins are hard to come by and the bickering starts all over again..Look at it this way..If your kids are happy..THEN they are winning..

G
bench
bench
G
Quote:

Which probably describes some of the girls at MPSC in the U14 and U13 agegroups. For some of them the social aspect is important. They want to get better as a team, they don't want to "jump ship." I don't think any of these kids have asperations to play R3....I think they just want to play soccer within the state. Why should that be a bad thing??????? Goals are a good thing for a team....but they need to be realistic goals.

Besides...the rumours and comments over the years are that Bridge has always had an air of superiority to the MP team....so why would anyone from MP even consider going there. It's interesting that we hear a Bridge parent complaining that the MP girls didn't run to Bridge....yet all we hear is how bad the MP team is....so why does Bridge want them???? Something to think about........

H
kick off
kick off
H
Which probably describes some of the girls at MPSC in the U14 and U13 agegroups. For some of them the social aspect is important. They want to get better as a team, they don't want to "jump ship." I don't think any of these kids have asperations to play R3....I think they just want to play soccer within the state. Why should that be a bad thing??????? Goals are a good thing for a team....but they need to be realistic goals.

Besides...the rumours and comments over the years are that Bridge has always had an air of superiority to the MP team....so why would anyone from MP even consider going there. It's interesting that we hear a Bridge parent complaining that the MP girls didn't run to Bridge....yet all we hear is how bad the MP team is....so why does Bridge want them???? Something to think about........

Like i said ......my daughter is playing where she wants to play. I would tell you if you took a poll of the U-14 Bridge Girls most of them would say they want to play college soccer.No one has said the MP Team is bad. The Bridge would welcome several players off of that team to join them.
The bottom line of all of this is that all the clubs in the Charleston area should do what is in the best interest of all these kids and join together in some way, shape or form and then build teams that are competitive at all levels in and out of state .It makes me

G
bench
bench
G
Quote:

Like i said ......my daughter is playing where she wants to play. I would tell you if you took a poll of the U-14 Bridge Girls most of them would say they want to play college soccer.No one has said the MP Team is bad. The Bridge would welcome several players off of that team to join them.
The bottom line of all of this is that all the clubs in the Charleston area should do what is in the best interest of all these kids and join together in some way, shape or form and then build teams that are competitive at all levels in and out of state .It makes me

Actually, some of the early posts in this thread were to put down the MP teams and they were most certainly labeled as bad teams that did not have successful seasons. I don't have the energy to look, but I believe it was stated they were "not successful." If that's not a put down, I don't know what is.

sounds like the girls on both teams have different philosophies for what they want out of soccer. Why exactly should the better players at MP jump ship to go to Bridge? You think they should go just because Bridge wants "some" of them in order to make Bridge happy. In my world, that is called an entitlement attitude. Shows total lack of respect for the MP players and parents.

If MP want to make their team better, AS A TEAM, then good for them. As CHT has stated, the girls need a say in where they want to play. I know of one guy who has two children that play and he constantly is moving all over the place. The kids are miserable because part of soccer for them is having fun with the their teammates. Dad doesn't care, he just wants them on winning teams. Wins don't mean as much when the players don't like playing with the "winning" team because of how those winning players behave and treat one another.

I just think it is incredibly arrogant to think the MP girls should jump ship just because Bridge feels they need a few good players to round out their roster.

Perhaps before any talks of a merger of the teams needs to start, some people need to learn to show respect for the other team, both players and parents.

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L

Which probably describes some of the girls at MPSC in the U14 and U13 agegroups. For some of them the social aspect is important. They want to get better as a team, they don't want to "jump ship." I don't think any of these kids have asperations to play R3....I think they just want to play soccer within the state. Why should that be a bad thing??????? Goals are a good thing for a team....but they
need to be realistic goals.

You have this spot on that the goals have to be realistic and at that age is all about player development, and especially girls need to have some kind of success along the way to be even more interested in what they do. That's why I said the DOC should have recognized that the teams should be placed where they can succeed and build on that.
Those girls seem very loyal to their home club and that's a great thing and rare to find.
With the amount of players MP should attract to the tryouts in that area there is no way they shouldn't be competetive with Lexington, CESA or CUFC at that age group.

MPSC has a pretty good rec and academy system which is a key to be succesful. For some reason there is a break in a chain somewhere and no one can find it where.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Wow...this thread's been busy! What you guys have been saying is spot-on with my observations; it really should be about the players' goals and whether they are having a good experience with what they are doing. Players who are happy with where they are and who they are with have a greater chance of achieving "success," however you want to define it. Wins do not necessarily translate into player development; some of the greatest strides in individual ability I've seen over the last few years have been with players on teams who started out struggling and learned HOW to win with the players they have.

I had the pleasure this year of coaching a "reunited" team--girls who had played together at younger ages, but had been split off into different teams for different reasons. They came back together their senior year for one last season together, and the results were pretty impressive; attitude, morale, and effort were improved, the girls actually had FUN playing together, and their performance (state finalists) was the best yet. I still maintain that many players--girls especially--are at their best when they enjoy what they do, not just when they're pushed from spot to spot simply trying to find the most wins.

H
kick off
kick off
H
sounds like the girls on both teams have different philosophies for what they want out of soccer. Why exactly should the better players at MP jump ship to go to Bridge? You think they should go just because Bridge wants "some" of them in order to make Bridge happy. In my world, that is called an entitlement attitude. Shows total lack of respect for the MP players and parents.

If MP want to make their team better, AS A TEAM, then good for them. As CHT has stated, the girls need a say in where they want to play. I know of one guy who has two children that play and he constantly is moving all over the place. The kids are miserable because part of soccer for them is having fun with the their teammates. Dad doesn't care, he just wants them on winning teams. Wins don't mean as much when the players don't like playing with the "winning" team because of how those winning players behave and treat one another.

I just think it is incredibly arrogant to think the MP girls should jump ship just because Bridge feels they need a few good players to round out their roster.

Perhaps before any talks of a merger of the teams needs to start, some people need to learn to show respect for the other team, both players and parents.
You seem to be angry about something????? All i am interested in is having my daughter play on a team where she is happy and meeting her own goals. Not mine,not yours and not a club.As far as the "some" players, i was referring to the girls i think have the same goals as mostof the girls on the Bridge.

Last edited by headsup; 11/23/08 08:01 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Understand that the testosterone level goes up as the level of play goes up..Not just players but parents also

H
kick off
kick off
H
Scarrrry!!!!

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L
I do sense some anger as well. Maybe that's why there will never be a one big club in Charleston area because no seems to get along.
I don't think anyone ever said that they need to go to Bridge, it's just an option if they want to play at the higher level (and win few games) and don't want to travel as far as Columbia.
I agree that there is more to this game then winning games but I find it hard to believe that all those girls were pretty happy after being competetive against only DISA. No one is trying to disrespect MP here.

How about all those girls go and talk to DOC or their coach and see what they have to say to improve the situation?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Understand that the testosterone level goes up as the level of play goes up..Not just players but parents also

Frighteningly enough, this is true! I like your philosophy...let the players have a say. And if a player expresses some dissatisfaction, that doesn't necessarily mean he/she wants to move to another club; sometimes it just takes some adjustments where you already are, rather than trying to start over somewhere else. Now, if all attempts at adjustment have failed or been rejected, that's another story.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I do sense some anger as well. Maybe that's why there will never be a one big club in Charleston area because no seems to get along.
I don't think anyone ever said that they need to go to Bridge, it's just an option if they want to play at the higher level (and win few games) and don't want to travel as far as Columbia.
I agree that there is more to this game then winning games but I find it hard to believe that all those girls were pretty happy after being competetive against only DISA. No one is trying to disrespect MP here.

How about all those girls go and talk to DOC or their coach and see what they have to say to improve the situation?

I think a lot of the animosity is a reaction to some past posts where people did indeed say other clubs were "selfish" for not sending their players to Bridge and not doing what was "best for Lowcountry soccer."

A lot has been said about moving around vs. player loyalty. If a group of players is having a good overall experience in an environment that parents can support and afford, I would think the "loyalty" factor would occur naturally--whether folks from other clubs can understand it or not.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think the best senario would be for the parents of both teams sit down with the coaches and DOC and discuss their concerns and to find out from the DOC what the plans are for these two teams and how do they plan to move forward..
Communications break down when parents talk to parents or a parent talks to a coach..We transmitt things that only concern us and our child and sometimes not the big picture.
Get as many together as possible and put it all on the table or hash it out and see where the club plans to move with these teams..Because here is a reality that some do not see..If these teams were to break apart and some go to this club and some over there and the club is left short on players..If things are not greener on the other side then the chance of coming home to a competitive team are slim to none..Trust me..I know.

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L
That's a great call. Sit them all down and try to sort it out. Last thing MP and Charleston at that matter needs is losing even more kids to other activities.

With a bit of good leadership MPSC could be the best club in that area due to academy and strong rec program. They have couple of very talented young teams now and the future looks bright. There is no way that a club can survive for a longer period of time without growing the talent themselves. Bridge is a perfect example. Most of their teams struggle with numbers this year and there is no team in U-13 age group for girls. It's hard to hold your breath and hope every year for players to decide to play for you.

C
Coach
Coach
C
First time I've seen a thread on this topic turn from mudslinging to level-headed wisdom rather than the other way around...seems there's hope for progress yet!

bench
bench
So how has the combination U13/14 challenge level played out so far? Any improvements? Any talk/action on combining Charleston/Mount Pleasant area teams to get more competitive on a state/region level?

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

So how has the combination U13/14 challenge level played out so far? Any improvements? Any talk/action on combining Charleston/Mount Pleasant area teams to get more competitive on a state/region level?

Curious as to why you ask? To use an old expression, "do you have a dog in this fight?"

bench
bench
We have a daughter coming up through the current arrangement and am curious which clubs are being proactive towards perhaps resolving (what appears from the previous conversations here) the dilema of "scattered" talent. I have read through this thread and it appears that things may be changing (or not?)

We are new to all this and trying to sort out which club/clubs might be best for our daughter (us) to explore.

"I kicked the ball and it went in the back of the net"
T
throw in
throw in
T
If your daughter is on the team, wouldn't you be aware of how her team is doing?

There are rumors still out there as to what will happen. Latest news is that yet another club has formed in the greater Charleston area. Something else out near Daniel Island.

That makes
MPSC
DISA
Charleston U
James Island
Summerville
Bridge
NEW CLUB (don't know the name)

I think the parents from all SEVEN clubs need to pressure for the clubs to do something to get things on track. There could be some real powerhouse teams, capable of competing statewide if these clubs pooled their resources and created joint teams.

bench
bench
Our daughter is not on a Mount Pleasant team. We have only been in the Charleston area a few years and she plays for another low country club. I found the SCYSA web site and can follow the teams there.

I agree, if there could be a melding of teams and talent it would make the local area stronger. What is in the way? Ego? Money? Lack of trying? What would it take to get a group meeting of the parents of the clubs you listed together? Is is feasible? Is there one DOC who the others respect enough to lead them? Or is status quo the norm?

corner kick
corner kick
In no particular order: fields, coach dilution, egos, money, sheer number of clubs, etc.

Where do you play? Whose colours do you use? Whose name? Which coach gets to coach the top team at the age levels? How do you find/afford fields? Will the Town ever give up Select at MPSC?

I'll leave it at that at the risk of beating the dead horse some more

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
E
bench
bench
E
I was reading this note and let me tell you something, I would like to promote a group meeting before tryouts, with all competitive team. The main objective will create a common benefit ( I do not know wich club we will represent, I do not know where we will train) but What I would like to see is how many players-parents are interested in change the monotony of soccer here. I know that this change could shake all global concept around. let me know if you are interested.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
I am getting my popcorn .. as this should prove interesting!

throw in
throw in
Quote:

Wow...this thread's been busy! What you guys have been saying is spot-on with my observations; it really should be about the players' goals and whether they are having a good experience with what they are doing. Players who are happy with where they are and who they are with have a greater chance of achieving "success," however you want to define it. Wins do not necessarily translate into player development; some of the greatest strides in individual ability I've seen over the last few years have been with players on teams who started out struggling and learned HOW to win with the players they have.

I had the pleasure this year of coaching a "reunited" team--girls who had played together at younger ages, but had been split off into different teams for different reasons. They came back together their senior year for one last season together, and the results were pretty impressive; attitude, morale, and effort were improved, the girls actually had FUN playing together, and their performance (state finalists) was the best yet. I still maintain that many players--girls especially--are at their best when they enjoy what they do, not just when they're pushed from spot to spot simply trying to find the most wins.

From a while back but decently insightful.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard