Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
Do not know the numbers for all age groups but turnout seemed to be very good

94s had about 30
95s had about 50
96s had about 40

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 11/17/08 03:04 PM.
world cup
world cup
I wasn't there but I heard the number for the 94's was closer to 50 than 30.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
Hat-Trick
OP Offline
Hat-Trick
F
I did not count... maybe it was. When I went buy there were what appeared to me 3 teams but not quite 15 in each....

Nevertheless good turnout for these age groups

Anyone know about the 97s? apparently they are now a full squad not "ODP trial"

It was announced that the 96 group will be going to region camp in Alabama and the 97s will be playing at USC Upstate in the summer

Originally the 96s were to go to USC upstate not region Camp

World Cup
World Cup
Per email request:

Boys ODP Head Coaches 2009
1992 Warren Turner, Erskine
1993 Ralph Polson, Wofford
1994 Sam Okpodu, Newberry
1995 Derek Marinatos, Furman
1996 Bert Molinary, USC
1997 Kendall Reyes, USC Upstate

Girls ODP Head Coaches 2009
1992 Sue Vodicka, USC-Aiken
1993 Karrie Miller, Newberry
1994 Rohan Naraine, Coastal Carolina
1995 Marty Beall, Francis Marion
1996 Gary Winchester, Erskine
1997 Kendall Reyes, USC Upstate

World Cup
World Cup
ODP Tryouts for South Carolina Scheduled for November

ODP Tryouts for South Carolina are scheduled for November 2008.

November 16 for the Girls and we will be at Lexington Soccer Complex. Please refer to the ODP Brochure for all information.

***On November 23 we will have tryouts for the Boys at BB&T fields in Columbia. This is a change.

Below are the links for the Brochure and Application for the SC Youth Soccer Olympic Development Program for Boys and Girls. Please click on the links listed below.

Information regarding the tryouts can be found on the first page of the brochure. Complete the second page of the brochure as well as the Region III Medical Release Form and follow the directions included on the first page. Any updates for ODP can be found on the SC Youth Soccer website, www.scysa.org on the ODP pages.

If you have any questions, please contact the SC Youth Soccer ODP Administrator, Mary Bynum at mlbynum@bellsouth.net.

http://www.scysa.org/odp_girls.shtml

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Do not know the numbers for all age groups but turnout seemed to be very good

94s had about 30
95s had about 50
96s had about 40

92s had 18. some were trying out for the first time.

S
bench
bench
S
Do they ever post the final numbers?

Also, how big a chance do the girls going on the make-up weekend have of being selected.

And last, who does the actual selection of players????

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
They should posts the names that are selected to go to the interstate games..They have used this weekend to make any final cuts..As far as your chances at make up weekend? should be good..This is an assumpton on my part but I would say the head coach for the team selects the players

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Any numbers for the 93s?

world cup
world cup

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
F
throw in
throw in
F
North Carolina didn't have the '96 centers last year- canceled them a few days before the start. SC ODP did have training for the '96s- I think about 5 or 6 sessions

S
bench
bench
S
WOW! That is more practice sessions than either of the 95's or 94's had.

How are we going to get exposure at Regional Camps for the SC talented girls if we do not train more with the ODP coaches.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
SoccerDad, I would have to argue that your daughter may just be better off training with her club coach! A title does not a coach make!

S
bench
bench
S
If this is the case why does SC assign college coaches to train our ODP teams?

Do you feel this changes as the girls get older or is this statement across all age groups?

5to6 training sessions seems pretty good for our 96s. This gets them together in an early ODP setting and lets them see what the program has to offer.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
I believe a knee jerk reaction by the State prevents any DOC from working with ODP ...

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
It is a general statement. The quality of most college coaches in SC is greatly over rated.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Your child spends alot more time with their club coaches than they do with ODP..And if they make the ODP team then their club coaches must be doing something right..Agree?

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

It is a general statement. The quality of most college coaches in SC is greatly over rated.

when i asked mine about the new coach for the 92s i thought she would give a short answer but to my surprise she really liked the coach and felt she new what she was doing.

S
bench
bench
S
There were a lot of comments on this forum right after the girls returned from Regional III ODP Camp this summer. There were many that were disappointed with the lack of SC pool players selected. Now is the time to demand more from the SC powers that be to ensure that SC has a quality program building up to next summers Regional III ODP Camp. Or status quo is what SC will get.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
You can start now but the same ole wheels are all ready rolling..Did not hear of any changes to the program after the lack of players that were selected..So I would expect status quo

H
brace
brace
H
i do know the 96s may go to bama.this would be a year early.the 97s to upstate.the 97s are starting a year early so maybe this is one change sc odp is doing to get more kids involved.
coldhardtruth what changes do you think sc odp should make to get more kids held over?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Not sure what it would take to get more kids held over. Just not have seen much change at all..Maybe get some one involved that has had success getting kids held over from neighboring states..Maybe giving some one else a chance to over see the program..sometimes fresh eyes bring fresh ideas

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
we have players in SC that can play with some of the best players in the region..I feel these players are penalized because they play for SC and their teams might be weaker than others

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
CHT, do you have a daughter who's not making it in the State or Region? And what specific players are actually deserving to be in a Region III team that aren't making it?

Maybe if a true state DOC:
a) Selected the staff
b) Implemented a training regimen with more training and less money to do it
c) Evaluated talent at club games, in addition to tryouts, with his staff, the program would improve.

That's a starter....get it away from the same old administrators that haven't got a clue from the soccer development end.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

we have players in SC that can play with some of the best players in the region..I feel these players are penalized because they play for SC and their teams might be weaker than others

i will agree that there are players in the state that if they had fla or tx beside their name it might be different.i think sc as a whole has to perform better not just at odp but in region to get a better rep like the other states.

H
brace
brace
H
you have to stand out at odp and that is up to a player not the state team. if you have the sc beside your name then i guess you have to stand out even more.
i will say this, if only 30 are held over it does not leave a lot of room because there are a lot of very good players in fla,tx,ga and nc

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

CHT, do you have a daughter who's not making it in the State or Region? And what specific players are actually deserving to be in a Region III team that aren't making it?

a) Selected the staff
c) Evaluated talent at club games, in addition to tryouts, with his staff, the program would improve.

That's a starter....get it away from the same old administrators that haven't got a clue from the soccer development end.

no attacking family.some good conversation going on here.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sometimes it's hard to stand out if you have no support on the pitch. A good team will allow players to stand out

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

a) Selected the staff

A IM NOT SURE ABOUT
B IS NOT GOING TO WORK BECAUSE IT WOULD TAKE MORE MONEY
C IS A GOOD IDEA

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hard headed...I like the new name
Thanks for standing up for me..I have already taken care of that the way it should..thru pm.
People can throw stones..It does not bother me..You need thick skin in this sport..We know what we are about!!

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Sometimes it's hard to stand out if you have no support on the pitch. A good team will allow players to stand out

I think more than 1 would stand out if the team was good.
i think it was the 94s last year that won all their games at odp. what else can the team do to get players held over?"offer gas cards"
i think that is where state reputation comes in.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Exactly!!Players not only have to perform but they have to shake off the reputation that we have

H
brace
brace
H
i think for sc players to get held over they can not just be as good as players from other states, they have to be better than some of those players from other states.even nc girls got somewhat shafted last year.not as many hold overs as before.fla got all of the sc and nc spots.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
CHT, it was NOT throwing stones but to find out if you have a dog in the fight and, if so, some specifics. NOT a personal attack....don't even know who you are or if you've had a daughter past, present or future. Relax.

S
goal
goal
S
I agree with hard head, It's up to the player to get noticed, SC players need to know going in that they must do something special if they plan on getting selected.

S
goal
goal
S
Like I have said in the past,if your daughter or son can play the game at the highest level, as any parent thinks they can, the colleges will come knocking, they don't care about your club, your name, or any of the BS that comes with playing youth soccer.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I'm good..when it comes to personal info..I tend to pm posters.The whole world does not need to know..Do I have a dog in this fight? My child has played ODP for three years to see only coaching changes every year..Very coachable player..ODP Region player? No..Plenty of stronger players at her position..Are there players that should be held over? Yes..Name them? I will not because then the discussion becomes about them and not the program..If SC can put players in the MLB,NBA and NFL then we should at least have players heldover for region play..If not.. then system has let them down..

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 11/19/08 11:41 PM.
S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

I agree with hard head, It's up to the player to get noticed, SC players need to know going in that they must do something special if they plan on getting selected.

I agree but shoudn't the State ensure that they prepare the player? I don't think the SC program that we now have is helping the player prepare for the selection process. The program relies on individuals to do it on thier own or club coaches. Where is the SCYSA involvement except selecting a team?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Of course you would want the player to give it their all or try to make things happen but they should be able to play the game and through out the course of the game good things happen for them.They have to play within themselves..if that makes sense..If you can't hit your driver over 300 yards to carry the water..then leave it in the bag or something bad is going to happen..I also feel that it's just as important what the player is doing off of the ball also..A ninety minute game and the player touches the ball for how many minutes?The player has to ask themselves..what am I doing when I don't have the ball?

H
brace
brace
H
sc has a numbers problem also.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Not sure what it would take to get more kids held over. Just not have seen much change at all..Maybe get some one involved that has had success getting kids held over from neighboring states..Maybe giving some one else a chance to over see the program..sometimes fresh eyes bring fresh ideas

The new 92 girls coach told the group she had close to her whole ODP team in VA held over for regionals one year. She also was a past ODP region coach, asst. coach and recruiter for several different well known colleges. She seems to know what the region coaches and college coaches are looking for and is coaching the 92s toward that end. It seems to be a very offensive and scoring mind set, encouraging the players to be a little selfish - less passing and more shooting. Then again you can't win a game without goals. So maybe the 92s will do better at region camp although it apears they are starting with a smaller group to choose from.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
True..some states field two teams in one age group..All the more reason for consistency with coaching staff and training schedules

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
It would be nice if the director of ODP for SC would actually attend the girls camp. If one person can't find the time to attend the boys and girls camp perhaps a director of boys ODP and a seperate director of girls ODP is in order. Last year Florida's lobbying by their director resulted in an entire team being held over in the girls 94 group. SC had some girls on their team that should have been held over by their performance on the field but were let down by having noone lobbying for them. SCYSA is not fully supporting this program.

S
bench
bench
S
Can someone explain what SCYSA does for South Carolina ODP?

Is there an actual program plan in place because over the last couple of years I have not seen much?

There is very little contact between player and coach. From my vantage point SC has a couple hour try-out then goes to a sub-regional and plays 3 games. A State team is then selected with 3 or 4 practices scheduled and off to Region Camp. What are other states doing? I would guess more practices, more sub-regional events, mini-camps.

What is it going to take to get more pool players at Regional Camp?

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
What's the advantage for a SC coach to have their player go to the regional team? Doesn't that in essence leave a hole in their team? (excuse my ignorance but I am a newbie at ODP)

Brace
Brace
so call ODP teams use to play in multiple tournaments, don't know if they still do.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Girls ODP notifications are flying across cyber space as we type...

Does anyone know if SCYS posts the names of the players that are selected for the '2nd round of tryouts'?

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Believe they only post the final selection.

S
bench
bench
S
Does anyone even know how many teams at each age group SCYSA will take to the sub-regional event (2nd try-out)in January?

Or is this a secret like the entire ODP process?

world cup
world cup
Good article on Triangle FC's Mollie Pathman, a R3 ODP player that some of our U-17 girls have competed against at ODP, tournaments and in the R3PL.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/component/option,com_topdrawer/Itemid,251/nid,7341/

Interesting that in this 20-paragraph piece, the writer never mentions what high school she attends.

Last edited by Hurst66; 12/03/08 02:33 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard