Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

If they have a choice between two players they are going after the one with the best resume?

There has to be a way for these colleges to have a choice of players. If a player has a strong resume, and it's forwarded to the coaches, it tends to spark interest to get them to watch a game or two, invite the player to a camp, invite for a visit, etc. All things being equal, if two players make the initial contact with a college, at generally the same time including the player resume, the stronger resume will tend to spark that interest quicker than the weaker one.

The similarity translates to the business world. A position is open, several resumes get sent in, the stronger resume gets the interview. Even if the job seeker is not the most qualified in person or believed by others, if he/she has a good resume, chances are he will get the first look.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Here I go sticking my two cents in, but...

Sweet...that is a generalization that may hold true the majority of the time, but is far from universally true. Where someone trained/played is not the single determining factor of talent level, and talent level is not the single determining factor in where someone decides to train and play. To judge a player's ability solely on the basis of the opportunities his/her situation has afforded would be to overlook an individual's ablilty to achieve under any circumstances.

Bottom line--a good resume is simply a documentation of evidence of a player's ability, for those who have those opportunities...but you don't necessarily have to look good on paper to look good on the field. You said it yourself, even with an oversimplistic use of the = sign...exposure. Just because the ODP players get seen and therefore picked more often, that doesn't make them the best. It just makes them the most visible.

I've got good news and bad news...
S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Here I go sticking my two cents in, but...

Sweet...that is a generalization that may hold true the majority of the time, but is far from universally true. Where someone trained/played is not the single determining factor of talent level, and talent level is not the single determining factor in where someone decides to train and play. To judge a player's ability solely on the basis of the opportunities his/her situation has afforded would be to overlook an individual's ablilty to achieve under any circumstances.

Bottom line--a good resume is simply a documentation of evidence of a player's ability, for those who have those opportunities...but you don't necessarily have to look good on paper to look good on the field. You said it yourself, even with an oversimplistic use of the = sign...exposure. Just because the ODP players get seen and therefore picked more often, that doesn't make them the best. It just makes them the most visible.

Coach Chass, you need to be bumped up from 3 stars to 4! I know this is an opinion, but your comments on several threads have been spot on. Keep up the nice work and great input.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Don't encourage him!!

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Since when did I need encouragement?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This is true...I don't want your head to swell before the holidays..We need to give your informative comments a nickname..I know..we will call them Chassisums!!

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I'm afraid it's my belly that expands around the holidays...

goal
goal
I've always been a fan of the saying "It's not what you know, but who you know."

Of course, I don't believe this to be true in all aspects of life, but in addition to what Bear mentioned, if your child plays for a coach who knows a lot of influential people and is well-respected in the soccer community, something as simple as a phone call can do amazing things.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Definitely no argument there. It doesn't change who the most talented players ARE, but right or wrong, it does affect who gets attention.

H
bench
bench
H
Just read the post for "CASL" and how 35 college coaches showed up for a 7:45am game (although it was a girls game) I can't help but wonder how many of those players had ODP "resumes". Since ODP is for exposure and coaches will look for players with those resumes.

I guess the coaches will go look for the resume players at big tournament like CASL.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard