Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#111066 12/08/08 04:41 PM
C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
CESA has eleven of the 32 spots for state this year..
CUFC has eight..
Bridge has three..
LCSC has two spots along with CFC
DISA has two spots and another newcomer SC BULLS has one
The other three spots are DSC..CSSC and COAST FA..

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
CESA has five on the girls side..six on boys
CUFC has four and four
Bridge has two girls and one boys
CFC has two girls
LCSC is split
DISA has two boys and the bulls one girls
DSC and CSSC is both boys and COAST FA has one girls team

world cup
world cup
Are any R3PL teams nervous?

Do any teams have a shot at taking down one of the teams that played R3PL this past season?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Here is a table that (if I did it correctly) shows the number of Fall Challenge Cup Final 4 Teams for each club over the past 3 years. I think the trends are interesting.

Club--Fall 2006--Fall 2007--Fall 2008
========================
CESA--13--12--11
CUFC--6--8--8
Bridge--5--3--3
LSCSC--1--2--2
CFC--1--1--2
MPSC--3--1--0
Bulls/NASC/ASC--1--1--1
DSC--1--1--1
FSCG--0--2--0
CSSC--0--0--1
CASC--1--0--0
CUSC--0--1--0
Coast FA--0--0--1
DISA--0--0--2
========================

Last edited by Coach P; 12/08/08 08:33 PM.
B
goal
goal
B
And those trends would be?????

I don't think your data is entirely accurate for this year. At quick reading, I think, CUFC has 8, not 9, DSC has 1.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Are any R3PL teams nervous?

Do any teams have a shot at taking down one of the teams that played R3PL this past season?

I would not be surprise to see the CUFC 92 Boys defeat BFA 92.

I also would not be surprise if CFC 92 Girls knock BFA 92 out.
I would love to say the CUFC could beat CESA at the 92 (girls) but I think CESA is the stronger of the two. It should be a spirited match though....last time these two teams met a CUFC player actually had 2 teeth knocked loose (had to get braces to hold them in place)

Coast FA at U-17 Girls also has a shot at upsetting CESA 91 Premier...That Coast team has an EXPLOSIVE offense. But they are either all on or all off, if they are on, CESA better come to play!

Last edited by SoccerPOP9194; 12/08/08 07:52 PM.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I would love to say the CUFC could beat CESA at the 92 (girls) but I think CESA is the stronger of the two. It should be a spirited match though....last time these two teams met a CUFC player actually had 2 teeth knocked loose (had to get braces to hold them in place)

That particular game was in the Challenge League between CUFC 92 Elite and CESA 92 Challenge, not Premier. CESA 92 Premier did not play in the Challenge league this season. CESA 92 Challenge was eliminated from the Cup by CFC on Saturday.

Bear #111073 12/08/08 08:34 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

And those trends would be?????

I don't think your data is entirely accurate for this year. At quick reading, I think, CUFC has 8, not 9, DSC has 1.

You are correct. I have made the change.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
I do not see much change over the last couple of years..CESA may have lost a spot here or there and CUFC has gained a few..That just tells me that there is strength in numbers..Large clubs..more spots..MPSC has fallen off the map..Bridge has three but if we were to add the teams that are playing academy..that would put them back at five..Out of 32 spots..CESA and CUFC took 19 spots

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Quote:

Here is a table that (if I did it correctly) shows the number of Fall Challenge Cup Final 4 Teams for each club over the past 3 years. I think the trends are interesting.

Club--Fall 2006--Fall 2007--Fall 2008
========================
CESA--13--12--11
CUFC--6--8--8
Bridge--5--3--3
LSCSC--1--2--2
CFC--1--1--2
MPSC--3--1--0
Bulls/NASC/ASC--1--1--1
DSC--1--1--1
FSCG--0--2--0
CSSC--0--0--1
CASC--1--0--0
CUSC--0--1--0
Coast FA--0--0--1
DISA--0--0--2
========================

With the resources and numbers MPSC has, these stats are shameful. Hopefully, they can maintain the kids in the 96/95/94 age groups and these numbers should change.

Last edited by Fireant; 12/08/08 08:54 PM.
C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
They did make some personnel changes over the season..I guess we will have to wait to see if the changes will move them in the right direction

B
goal
goal
B
Coach P,

Saw where you modified the data, but what about the other question about the trends that you see?

Fireant,

It's easy to point at the current state of the MPSC results in the older age groups as shameful, however, what I think the data shows is the conscious decision made by MPSC a couple of years ago to focus on the younger age groups, i.e. the academy program, at the expense of the older age groups where the pressure was to combine with Bridge, or others. As I said before, only time would tell if that was a good thing, and I think the age groups affected will be more visible in the Spring cup. If the trend continues, then yes MPSC made a mistake, but if it turns around, then it could be seen as a good decision.

throw in
throw in
I heard that in the U18G bracket that Coast FA forfeited Saturday afternoon. Is this true and are any consequences for the team/club for forfeiting a state cup game?

Nothing is Impossible
C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
do not know it's true..but if they were a no show..It costs them their bond..which I think is 200 dollars

throw in
throw in
If all they lose is a $200 bond, that's not much of a punishment.

Nothing is Impossible
S
throw in
throw in
S
Scores that suprised me or games I would have liked to have seen---

16B Bridge 2 Coast 1---OT to PKs with a red card thrown in the mix? Sounds like fun!

17B CESA P 1 Lex 0---Great effort by Lexington.

17B DISA 3 MPSC 2---think these guys know each others tricks?

18B DISA 2 CUFC 1 --heard CUFC got an early red card and played a man down most of match--disappointing result for the CUFC boys.

Any reports on these games?

Bear #111082 12/09/08 01:44 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P,Saw where you modified the data, but what about the other question about the trends that you see?

Bear, sorry, I was pressed for time this afternoon and only got to make the correction before I had to leave the computer. When I said the trends are interesting, this was just an observance and not any criticism or judgement of any club or person. But here are some of the things I saw:

- There seems to be a trend towards the "big two" clubs whereas, in 2006, many referred to the "big three".
- CESA continues to dominate but the gap between 1st and 2nd has narrowed just a little each of the past 2 years.
- The top 5 clubs seem to consistently take 25-26 of the 32 total spots while, with a couple of 1-team exceptions, the other spots seem to vary from year-to-year among another 10 or so clubs. The exceptions are teams that are aging out this year but have made the Final Four each of the past 3 years (DSC 90B and SC Bulls/NASC 90G).
- Clubs in the Midstate have made gains in the number of Final Four spots. Here is the breakdown (again, assuming I haven't made another error):

District--Fall 2006--Fall 2007--Fall 2008
==============================
Piedmont--15--15--13
Midstate--9--12--13
Coastal--8--5--6
==============================

For reference, the list of clubs in each SCYSA District can be found here .

L
Kickoff
Kickoff
L
17B CESA 1 vs Lexington 0, Lexington really only had one chance that could have been a pk, but ended up being inches outside according to the ref. CESA scored of a long throw-in within the first couple of minutes. Tough conditions due to cold weather and some very good gk from Lex. that kept them in a game but overall CESA was way too fast and dominated the play. Michael Salinas was by far the best player for Lexington.

18B CUFC got an early red card and played very good game. CUFC keeper saved 2 pk's.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

If all they lose is a $200 bond, that's not much of a punishment.

From the SCSCL application agreement:

"A bond fee ($500) and a registration fee of ($350.00) are required to be mailed ..."

"I understand and agree that my team will continue play in the SCSCL and SCSCL State Cup Championship until we have been eliminated. Failure to continue to play will result in the forfeit of team bond and the suspension of the coach for one year from SCYSA"

B
goal
goal
B
Coach P,

Thanks. This time of year people tend to lose some objectivity, and I was just curious about your thoughts. I tend to agree with most of your observations.

Bear #111086 12/09/08 04:17 PM
world cup
world cup
If you blow off a state cup game in North Carolina you get the death penalty.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Bear #111087 12/09/08 05:28 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
1. Seems to me that Bridge is slipping a little. Now, is this due to USSF Academy on the boys side? Or something else?

2. CUFC seems to be gaining competitive momentum. Is their success coming from Bridge, CESA, or soemthing else?

3. Is there an increase of "mom and pop" clubs in Final 4? Small little clubs with just 1 team in the Final 4?

Seems to me that 2 years ago.....you had a Big 2, Bridge and CESA. Then you had a couple of clubs that maybe had a couple of competitve teams, CUFC, Lexington, MPSC, etc. Then the odd club here or there that had a very sepcial team like the Discoveries 90 team.

Now.....looks like CESA is more or less holding constant, CUFC is making a strong push up, Bridge is fading, and the number of clubs with 1 strong team is multiplying rapidly.

Before (Final 4): 2 clubs dominate all ages, another 2-3 clubs with a couple of teams that are competitve, a few clubs with 1 team here or there.

Now (Final 4): CUFC and CESA dominating, Bridge still there but fading, a whole bunch of clubs with 1 team or so.

Is this assessment right?

J
throw in
throw in
J
Quote:

1. Seems to me that Bridge is slipping a little. Now, is this due to USSF Academy on the boys side? Or something else?

2. CUFC seems to be gaining competitive momentum. Is their success coming from Bridge, CESA, or soemthing else?

3. Is there an increase of "mom and pop" clubs in Final 4? Small little clubs with just 1 team in the Final 4?
Seems to me that 2 years ago.....you had a Big 2, Bridge and CESA. Then you had a couple of clubs that maybe had a couple of competitve teams, CUFC, Lexington, MPSC, etc. Then the odd club here or there that had a very sepcial team like the Discoveries 90 team.

Now.....looks like CESA is more or less holding constant, CUFC is making a strong push up, Bridge is fading, and the number of clubs with 1 strong team is multiplying rapidly.

Before (Final 4): 2 clubs dominate all ages, another 2-3 clubs with a couple of teams that are competitve, a few clubs with 1 team here or there.

Now (Final 4): CUFC and CESA dominating, Bridge still there but fading, a whole bunch of clubs with 1 team or so.

For instance...?

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

1. 3. Is there an increase of "mom and pop" clubs in Final 4? Small little clubs with just 1 team in the Final 4?

I don't see that. Two years ago, in 2006, there were 9 clubs represented in the Fall Final Four. In 2007 and 2008, there were 10 clubs represented, just 1 more than in 2006. There were 5 clubs with only 1 team in 2006 and 2007. There are only 4 clubs with 1 team this year.

In 2006, the 1-team clubs were LCSC, CFC, NASC, DSC, CASC
In 2007, the 1-team clubs were CFC, MPSC, NASC, DSC, CUSC
In 2008, the 1-team clubs are SC Bulls, DSC, CSSC, Coast FA

The only 2 clubs that have had just 1 team all 3 years are DSC and SC BULLS/NASC. As I mentioned before, both of these teams are now U18 and will not be around next year.

So basically, it does not look like there has been an increase in the number of clubs with only 1 team in a given Final Four.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
OK, who is DISA? They have a couple of teams.....but I never heard of them. And CFC has 2 teams.

I glanced thru the pairings so forgive my error. But you have 4 1 team clubs....and then a couple of more clubs that aren't considered traditional powers.

I guess this is my point. DISA and CFC pretty much have the same number of Final 4 teams as Bridge.

Also not trying to disrespect CFC or DISA. Obviously they are doing something right.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Daniel Island....new club, right?
SC Bulls......new club, right?

I have to disagree on the assessment that there's nothing significant going on.

CFC is having pretty nice success in CESA's back yard. DISA.....Bridge's back yard. Coast is a relatively new club....CSSC is relatively new.

Big Bang theory at work? Where everything collapses/condenses before exploding outward? St Giles/CESA merger and the BFA had a profound impact competitively a few years back. Now maybe.....all that consolidation is resulting in smaller, more flexible, more responsive teams/clubs?

Heck, I dunno. Could be all hooey. But where consolidation has been all the rage.....I think I see something else at work. The elimination of the middle guy. We'll have super clubs and highly flexible, personal niche clubs. Nothing in between.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
I would bet to say that some from CFC played at CESA at one time or another..DISA? Bridge players that followed their coach..Your first year of existence and you put two teams in at the 17 and 18 age groups?Those players came from existing clubs..BFA,MPSC,SSC to name a few..The clubs are the same..just where the teams decide to play are different..As far as new clubs are concerned..Give it a few years and let's see what's produced at the younger age groups before we say there is a new dawn of soccer on the rise

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I don't know that anything is going to be produced. The new day of soccer that you refer to.....is maybe more team driven. Existing teams and coaches ...leaving Club A to form their own Club. Or join an existing snmall club who will leave them alone and let them run their team (s).

Quote:

I would bet to say that some from CFC played at CESA at one time or another..DISA? Bridge players that followed their coach..Your first year of existence and you put two teams in at the 17 and 18 age groups?Those players came from existing clubs..BFA,MPSC,SSC to name a few..The clubs are the same..just where the teams decide to play are different..As far as new clubs are concerned..Give it a few years and let's see what's produced at the younger age groups before we say there is a new dawn of soccer on the rise

corner kick
corner kick

SC Bulls are the old North Augusta Club. They are listed as GA-SC Bulls with teams in both states.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Aiken too, right?

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
Yes..

corner kick
corner kick
I was under the impression that the GA-SC Bulls was a combination of the old Aiken Club(sc), North Augusta(sc), and Columbia County (ga). I could be way wrong (would not be the 1st time) but I thought that is how the GA-SC part of the name came to be.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
corner kick
corner kick
I believe you are correct. I looked up the record of the SC U18 Girls in the SC challenge league and they were about in the middle of the pack. So I made a few calls to see how they were able to win the first round game. It seems there roster was increased to 18 before the deadline and several of the players this pasted Saturday played for other Bulls teams during the season. Still it was a competitive game (1 - 0) with both teams having opportunities to score. Looks as if the new SC Bulls club is trying to make an impact in the state cup and not the challenge league.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
The deadline works for most clubs..If you have a 17 team that does not make first rounds but another 17 or 18 team does..Why would you not move players?

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

The deadline works for most clubs..If you have a 17 team that does not make first rounds but another 17 or 18 team does..Why would you not move players?

so if you have have two 17 teams you would be moving players from a team that was not good enough to make it to one that was.why would the better 17 team need them?
other than cesa and cufc, how many clubs in the state has more than one team per age group in the older girls ages.
u-15/u-18 ?
it does bring up the subject of reginals in the summer.someone correct me if i am wrong but once your roster is set for state cup that is the roster you have to take to reginals.no adding players. in other states they have their state cup in the spring so they have about 6 months to add players to their roster.(players moving in and so on)

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
A team that does not make it to state can have some capable players on the roster..I am not talking half the team..I would imagine also that there might be some beat up teams right now after league play and could use some help with injuries..If you have a chance to pad your squad for state..why would you not do that? If the game goes your way then don't play them..Not many have mutiple teams so it's probably just an advantage for larger clubs..Strength in numbers!!

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
and yes you are correct on the roster question..

L
Goal
Goal
L
u17 and up can roster 22 but only dress 18 for games.

T
TS Offline
goal kick
goal kick
T
Could a South Carolina team roster a kid from a North Carolina team that has already finished state cup?

TS #111105 12/10/08 06:21 PM
L
Goal
Goal
L
no. you can only play (be rostered) for 1 state cup a year under usysa.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard