Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Coach
Coach
C
It's a beautiful thing, when done right. Run and gun is kinda like the dark side of the Force, though, if I can go Star Wars for a sec...not stronger, but faster. Easier. Very seductive to anyone wanting quick results.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Playing on narrow fields makes it to tempting to send everything over the top..Most high school fields are to small

world cup
world cup
My 15-year old daughter tells me the girls need to play more like the boys and the boys need to play more like the girls.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
kick off
kick off
C
coldhardtruth hit the nail on the head. I'm the southside christian school coach and everyone wants to play us on our field because we can go 75 yards wide and they can only go 60 or 65. Its hard to play to feet on a small field when youre trying to win games.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst,
Smart girl!!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah, bingo on that one...if you don't have room to play around the resistance, temptation is to play over them and call it done.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

My 15-year old daughter tells me the girls need to play more like the boys and the boys need to play more like the girls.

Wow, wise words there...somewhere in the middle is the patient, team-oriented player who still has the drive and aggression to dominate the opportunities.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I don't get it?

Assume there is a "style" difference assumption there?

Which I haven't seen.

There are gender differences IMO....boys are generally more physical, generally play quicker, generally play out of the air a little better.

The PC police should note that I said opinion...and also generally.

C
Coach
Coach
C
In my observations, and just as a general tendency independent of coaching and mental conditioning, girls tend to be a little more team-oriented; many of the ones I know are just as happy to pass the ball off for an assist as to take the shot, and sometimes more so. The advantage is that they can be more patient and less likely to force a situation and develop good short-passing skills, but the disadvantage is that sometimes they don't take full advantage of pure aggression and kill instinct.

Boys seem to have a natural tendency to want to be the star, and to always want the ball; the advantage is in the aggressive play, killer instinct, and willingness to take a chance at making the play; the disadvantage is that there is more inclination to hold the ball or try to force through pressure rather than giving the ball off out of pressure and put someone else in control, or send an easy shot high and wide trying to rip it through the back of the net when a less-spectacular pass to the corner would easily suffice.

Again, these are just broad generalizations with many notable exceptions, and can be affected and changed by coaching style and mental conditioning.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

In my observations, and just as a general tendency independent of coaching and mental conditioning, girls tend to be a little more team-oriented; many of the ones I know are just as happy to pass the ball off for an assist as to take the shot, and sometimes more so. The advantage is that they can be more patient and less likely to force a situation and develop good short-passing skills, but the disadvantage is that sometimes they don't take full advantage of pure aggression and kill instinct.

Boys seem to have a natural tendency to want to be the star, and to always want the ball; the advantage is in the aggressive play, killer instinct, and willingness to take a chance at making the play; the disadvantage is that there is more inclination to hold the ball or try to force through pressure rather than giving the ball off out of pressure and put someone else in control, or send an easy shot high and wide trying to rip it through the back of the net when a less-spectacular pass to the corner would easily suffice.

Again, these are just broad generalizations with many notable exceptions, and can be affected and changed by coaching style and mental conditioning.

In my experience, boys are definetely more "Alpha male" oriented than girls are. But that isn't a soccer issue so much as its a "social" one. And while I'm sure it flows thru somewhat to soccer...I can't say that I agree with the general statement that boy soccer players are more individualistic and girl players are more team oriented.

I've seen plenty of very, very good posseession oriented boys teams....and plenty of very good 1 v 1 girl players who enjoy that aspect of the game and love to step up with the game on the line and the ball at their instep.

Actually, saw it last night at our indoor game.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard