Goal
OP Offline
Goal
L

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Yup......excellent article!!! And applicable to boys as well as girls.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Excellent article.

I think what you see is a difference in philosophy. UNC and ND play a 3 forward formation which allow them to play the ball quickly to their best players who are usually isolated on a defender 1 v 1. It is a great idea if the goal is to win. UNC and ND don't have to develop the players any more, they want to win. The best from UNC and ND play for the national team and get possession taught there.

The US national team has moved from a 3 forward system (see China) to a 2 forward system. This move alone almost forces a change in playing style to more possession oriented.

This isn't much different then the men's game 25 years ago. teams like Norway and sweden on the men's side used a 3 forward direct style for years to take advantage of the great players they had. The US was much the same (just not very good at it).

At the college level, playing very direct still works for the women. There is still a great difference in the talent level from the top 5 - 10 teams and everyone else. If you could just play your forward and constantly win (AND KEEP YOUR JOB) that is probably the way it will continue to be.

at the national level, the US Fed. (after getting hammered by Brazil) realized they needed a coach (foreign) who understood the indirect style and could teach it. This was the only way the US was to continue to be a world force in soccer on the women's side.

Eventually, the college coaches will have to change their style to be able to feed the national team. or the academy program will be the only source of national level players.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
world cup
world cup
The stakes were very high......national championship.

Of course UNC & ND were just playing for a result. As the author said, when the pressure is on (championships or promotion/relegation), even the high level club games turn ugly (physical and direct). Watch some of the SCYSA semi-finals this Saturday, the winner gets a R3PL spot.

My question doesn't have as much to do with the system of play, as it does with the type of player recruited. I don't think all of the girls on these two teams are the most highly-skilled and creative players (exceptions being Heath and Nogueira), but they certainly seem to fit the mold of "bigger, stronger, faster".

I guess that's why they call it athletics.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
H
bench
bench
H
Win the Women's World Cup, an Olympic Gold, a Women's U20 World Cup and lose in the Final of the U17s on PKs.

How much higher do we need to set the bar? Should we change what we do so that we can be more competative?

C
Coach
Coach
C
I guess the question many would respond with is, if a particular style and philosophy of play:

1. Produces wins at the younger developmental ages,
2. Produces wins at the intermediate levels,
3. Produces wins at the higher levels of youth soccer,
4. Produces wins at the top levels of college soccer (the most common goal in the sights of youth players looking to advance) and
5. Produces wins against teams trying to play the "right" way...

...then what makes it the "wrong" way to play the game?

Just a little devil's advocate, I suppose.

I've got good news and bad news...
H
bench
bench
H
What are you talking about?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Um...I was referencing the article that started this whole conversation...paraphrasing what the author stated were the immediate, physical results of both the "right way" and the "wrong way" to teach/play the game. It seems it would be hard to convince coaches and players that they are doing something the "wrong way" when you're also telling them it produces success right up through the top level of college competition, which is as far as the overwhelming majority of players will ever go.

Also, with contracts on the line that are dependent on win/loss records, how many college coaches would be willing to change a system that takes them to the championships because they're concerned with feeding the national team?

C
kick off
kick off
C
Coaching U-17 boys and girls I face this alot. Its sad that I have to spend a whole season trying to reprogram these kids to play the right way. They dont know the concept of settling and playing to feet.

C
kick off
kick off
C
If you want to see a team play the "right" way and beat any team in the state look at the CESA U-16 premier team. Nick Finotti wont let them play Americanized "run and gun" soccer. The ball is kept on the ground 90% of the time and everyone plays 2 and 3 touch.

C
Coach
Coach
C
It's a beautiful thing, when done right. Run and gun is kinda like the dark side of the Force, though, if I can go Star Wars for a sec...not stronger, but faster. Easier. Very seductive to anyone wanting quick results.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Playing on narrow fields makes it to tempting to send everything over the top..Most high school fields are to small

world cup
world cup
My 15-year old daughter tells me the girls need to play more like the boys and the boys need to play more like the girls.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
kick off
kick off
C
coldhardtruth hit the nail on the head. I'm the southside christian school coach and everyone wants to play us on our field because we can go 75 yards wide and they can only go 60 or 65. Its hard to play to feet on a small field when youre trying to win games.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst,
Smart girl!!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah, bingo on that one...if you don't have room to play around the resistance, temptation is to play over them and call it done.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

My 15-year old daughter tells me the girls need to play more like the boys and the boys need to play more like the girls.

Wow, wise words there...somewhere in the middle is the patient, team-oriented player who still has the drive and aggression to dominate the opportunities.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I don't get it?

Assume there is a "style" difference assumption there?

Which I haven't seen.

There are gender differences IMO....boys are generally more physical, generally play quicker, generally play out of the air a little better.

The PC police should note that I said opinion...and also generally.

C
Coach
Coach
C
In my observations, and just as a general tendency independent of coaching and mental conditioning, girls tend to be a little more team-oriented; many of the ones I know are just as happy to pass the ball off for an assist as to take the shot, and sometimes more so. The advantage is that they can be more patient and less likely to force a situation and develop good short-passing skills, but the disadvantage is that sometimes they don't take full advantage of pure aggression and kill instinct.

Boys seem to have a natural tendency to want to be the star, and to always want the ball; the advantage is in the aggressive play, killer instinct, and willingness to take a chance at making the play; the disadvantage is that there is more inclination to hold the ball or try to force through pressure rather than giving the ball off out of pressure and put someone else in control, or send an easy shot high and wide trying to rip it through the back of the net when a less-spectacular pass to the corner would easily suffice.

Again, these are just broad generalizations with many notable exceptions, and can be affected and changed by coaching style and mental conditioning.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

In my observations, and just as a general tendency independent of coaching and mental conditioning, girls tend to be a little more team-oriented; many of the ones I know are just as happy to pass the ball off for an assist as to take the shot, and sometimes more so. The advantage is that they can be more patient and less likely to force a situation and develop good short-passing skills, but the disadvantage is that sometimes they don't take full advantage of pure aggression and kill instinct.

Boys seem to have a natural tendency to want to be the star, and to always want the ball; the advantage is in the aggressive play, killer instinct, and willingness to take a chance at making the play; the disadvantage is that there is more inclination to hold the ball or try to force through pressure rather than giving the ball off out of pressure and put someone else in control, or send an easy shot high and wide trying to rip it through the back of the net when a less-spectacular pass to the corner would easily suffice.

Again, these are just broad generalizations with many notable exceptions, and can be affected and changed by coaching style and mental conditioning.

In my experience, boys are definetely more "Alpha male" oriented than girls are. But that isn't a soccer issue so much as its a "social" one. And while I'm sure it flows thru somewhat to soccer...I can't say that I agree with the general statement that boy soccer players are more individualistic and girl players are more team oriented.

I've seen plenty of very, very good posseession oriented boys teams....and plenty of very good 1 v 1 girl players who enjoy that aspect of the game and love to step up with the game on the line and the ball at their instep.

Actually, saw it last night at our indoor game.

C
Goal
Goal
C
Brazil, Argentina, Spain, vs. England, Germany, Italy

Who wins? What style is best?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I think this debate boils down to style of play as opposed to gender. Soccer snobs often sniff at "direct" play as if its some sort of sign of barbarism.

Yet I've seen very skillful players playing very attractive soccer that happens to be very attacking oriented. A lot of quick 1 touch / 2 touch passing....movement off the ball, combination play, etc. I love that!!!!

Have also see traditional "possession without purpose" teams who build their attacks....yet never pull the trigger to attack. Far more comfortable playing in the middle third of the field, unwilling to take a chance on playing the ball forward to a player making a great run in tight space, they hold and play back. Yaawwwn.....oops.

I think the writer of the article was saying.....that too often in American soccer and I guess specifically American womans soccer, the style of play is geared mostly towards, big, strong, fast, athletic players....and the style of play that supports this....playing from back to front. Big backs knocking the ball long to big/fast forwards.

What happened to creative midfield play? To me....thats the critical (and missing) element. If the ball is played in the air instead of on the ground.....you aren't likely to find attractive soccer, male or female.

So all this time is spent in small sided play with kids when they're young.....and the ultimate destination in American women's soccer (UNC Chapel Hill) just blasts the ball long to their forwards. Why waste 4 players in a 4-4-2?

I think this is the authors point. Not gender....but lack of midfield play.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Brazil, Argentina, Spain, vs. England, Germany, Italy

Who wins? What style is best?

Bingo.

I'd rather watch Brazil, Argentina, Spain...and most times I'd bet on them (figuratively speaking). I wouldn't necessarily put the Germans in Group B tho. I enjoy watching them play far more than the Italians or English.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

In my experience, boys are definetely more "Alpha male" oriented than girls are. But that isn't a soccer issue so much as its a "social" one. And while I'm sure it flows thru somewhat to soccer...I can't say that I agree with the general statement that boy soccer players are more individualistic and girl players are more team oriented.

I've seen plenty of very, very good posseession oriented boys teams....and plenty of very good 1 v 1 girl players who enjoy that aspect of the game and love to step up with the game on the line and the ball at their instep.

Actually, saw it last night at our indoor game.

No argument there; I've seen the same. Training and conditioning can also go a long way toward changing natural tendencies that are, as you say, more social issues that spill over somewhat into soccer.

One thing I've noticed from watching a number of different teams of both genders--and again, this is far from universal, but just a tendency in this direction--at that moment of decision-making immediately after receiving the ball, male players seem more likely to look for the open space to dribble or shoot first, and the option to pass second if the first isn't available. Female players seem more likely to look up for the passing option first, and the option to dribble or shoot second.

Of course, I could be imagining it.

world cup
world cup
The irony in all of this is that my 15-year old daughter was watching (and specifically referring to) Big Daddy's U-15 son when she made the comment!

Coach Chass's "generalizations" are pretty much on the money.

Daddy, there are not enough confident 1v1 girls players out there......and the indoor game you were watching last night was not a competitive match so I can't put too much stock in those remarks.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"Aly" will go forward on anyone, indoor or outdoor. She may not be successful...but she believes she will be and if given the opportunity, will do so.

Hurst....lots of coaches fuss that he holds the ball too long. And at times he does. But I've seen him create a lot of things for teammates that alll start off of the dribble.

I've seen kids hold the ball too long simply shielding or laterally dribbling. But to me if a player has space to explode forward thats a great chance to take space and pull defenders in.

H
brace
brace
H
something i saw in a scrimmage last night.

boys will play a drop when needed.for what ever the reason is.
i have seen girls that will play a drop as a first option.something i have seen that drives me nuts is a team has the ball at the top of the box and needing to pull the trigger on a shot and a few drops later the ball is played all the way back to their goalie.
i think it is a confidence thing with some girls taking players on 1v1.i think big daddy mentioned it in his post, boys want to be the big dog so they like taking on players.

Last edited by Hard Headed; 12/19/08 12:48 PM.
world cup
world cup
Actually she was commenting on his creativity and his willingness to share the ball. She paid him the ultimate compliment:

She said "He plays like a girl".

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Actually she was commenting on his creativity and his willingness to share the ball. She paid him the ultimate compliment:

She said "He plays like a girl".

HAHAHAHA!!!

I'll tell him you said that!!!! "Lil Daddy....Mr Hurst thinks you play like a girl!!!!" I tell him he's a girly man all the time. Real alpha men play pointy football.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

something i saw in a scrimmage last night.

boys will play a drop when needed.for what ever the reason is.
i have seen girls that will play a drop as a first option.something i have seen that drives me nuts is a team has the ball at the top of the box and needing to pull the trigger on a shot and a few drops later the ball is played all the way back to their goalie.
i think it is a confidence thing with some girls taking players on 1v1.i think big daddy mentioned it in his post, boys want to be the big dog so they like taking on players.

Are you telling me that on your oldest daughters CESA team there aren't a handful of that type of player? There may not be 15 of them.....but your daughter is!!!! And I can't believe she doesn't have a handful of partners in crime.

CESA as a Club......has that alpha male thing going on. Its woven into the club personality.

H
brace
brace
H
could be in how a player is taught.may be taught to pass more than attack.
it is something a kid has to look at when going thru the recruitment process.if i am an attacking type player then a school that plays possesion ball may not be the place for me.

C
Goal
Goal
C
I teach my girls to just boot it

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
We can tell......

heh heh...

world cup
world cup
Hard Head,

I've heard more than one coach pay the ultimate tribute to your daughter:

"She plays like a guy".

Daddy,

Don't you be telling that junk to Little Daddy. You know we think he's a very good player.

Cantona,

Remember, it's not how hard you boot it, or what direction you boot it. What's most important is how HIGH you boot it!

A
Ape Offline
bench
bench
A
It's not about playing like a "boy or a "girl". The Development of girl’s soccer takes learning strong basic skills then building ball control. Coaches who will train girls to be players, athletes. Meaning both physical and position soccer. People want to talk about UNC and ND and the U.S. team like its 2 different groups of players. It's the same girls, just different styles of play. Most US players grow up learning one style of play, one system of play, for our players to develop us as coaches need to teach different styles and systems of play. We need to introduce creative and set pieces. Kids need to experience different coaches not the same one for years. The more exposure players have to different coaches and styles the better prepared they are for what every level that want to reach. We need good coaches who want to train girls.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Well said!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard