Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
H
brace
brace
H
not sure of the numbers but i know of a couple that because they did not get a chance to play soccer at the school of their choice they skipped soccer and went to that school anyway.

sweet you did not get back to more on what was in store.

H
goal
goal
H
I like this topic better.

If one looks at the questions from the individual player's perspective, the answers can be difficult to find. Kids who, by luck of the draw, live in more metropolitan areas, are going to have better quality soccer easily accessible. What about the kid who lives in Dillon, Bamberg, Summerton or Oconee? She is likely to have some form of recreational soccer available to her, coached by a parent who probably does not know a heck of a lot about the game. Her chances of developing into a high level player are pretty slim.

Likewise, in spite of the efforts that the big clubs make to penetrate the economically disadvantaged "market," a gander at the field on any state cup weekend reveals that we have a long way to go. There are thousands of kids who could be, and should be, participating in soccer who aren't.

How can we do better at building quality opportunities for more kids?

world cup
world cup
It's going to take someone who is very gifted (knows the game and knows how to teach it) and patient, who is willing to start with a bunch of kids at age six or seven. The person cannot be financially motivated because there's probably not a lot of dollars to be earned in these markets.

Sumter is a good example. There are four or five very good trainers/coaches who learned their trade and cut their teeth in Sumter. All of them are currently working in other markets in South Carolina.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Coach,
After doing this for the last three years I do not believe my child feels any pressure to perform.I will say that struggling thru region ball is sometimes tough on her but I do believe with more looses than wins that playing at that level has just made her stronger and smarter as a player..If she had to choose between playing at a lesser level and having fun or playing at the top level and struggling to achieve..I think she would take the latter..She has always chosen her path and is realistic to what her chances are at playing college ball.This adventure started out as a simple game and has turned into quite the competitive quest but not for one minute did she ever say that she was not having fun..

She sounds like a great player, and I really am looking forward to meeting her...for players like that (who are my favorite type, by the way) challenging themselves IS the definition of "fun."

Reminds me of my high school team...there has been talk lately of our school dropping to 3-A in the next couple of years. We would probably have an easier time being competitive with the 3A schools in our area in soccer...but my team wants to stick with 4A--they say they'd rather take their lumps until they learn to win consistently at that level than drop down and feel like they were settling for less competition!

(Guess their crazy coach must be rubbing off on them.)

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
On looking back, I think the above is part of what I've been trying to say that I haven't done a good job of expressing...it's not about just kicking back and having fun, but it's also not just about the condition of BEING number one, either...it's about players, teams, and coaches challenging themselves, no matter what the level and rank. I consider a good season one where everyone leaves as a stronger, smarter, better competitor than they were when the season began, and because they are, they can experience "fun" through a sense of accomplishment. If that means learning to play up to stronger competition, then so be it...I see it as better to gain ground by closing in on the competition than to rest on your laurels as #1. If all the best players simply move to the "winning-est" teams...then who will they play against on a day-to-day basis to challenge them to get even better?

Just thinking out loud...this Christmas-break lull puts me to pondering to alleviate the boredom.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
Well said and Coach, you are over on your pm quotas so I can't pm you...Clean it out ...Man!!

C
Coach
Coach
C
Whoops! Yeah, I save 'em up forever so I can feel like I'm popular...should be nice and tidy now!

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
So what you are really saying is you found the DELETE ALL button..

B
goal
goal
B
Quote:

not sure of the numbers but i know of a couple that because they did not get a chance to play soccer at the school of their choice they skipped soccer and went to that school anyway.

HH, maybe it's better as a different topic, but should soccer be a means to an education, or should education be a means to continue soccer? The way you state it above, it sounds like you feel some of these players should have went to schools to play soccer, rather than where they chose to go to school.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

So what you are really saying is you found the DELETE ALL button..

You caught me.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard