Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Coach
Coach
C
Heh...knowing Summerville's tradition of influence, they probably DID draw the lines around the majority of athletes. No guessing required on the RIII player. As for last year's core...watching them play, it was obvious that this was a group who had played together for years; they were seamless, and it was apparent that they always knew what their teammates were going to do without even having to look up. If this core has graduated, and there's not a similarly composed group who know each other well to move up, then I would say they will certainly feel that loss.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Looks like we will find out how good FM and Clover are as it looks like Clover has finally joined the Viking Cup. That will give everyone a good look-see.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
O
kick off
kick off
O
Ahh Cid...your usual jab @ Clover

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Actually, I am glad that they will be in the Viking Cup. Along with my jabs, I have always thought that a team who is going to "dethrone" FM should show it's talent to the state. the VC is a good way. The more competition FM gets from Clover, the better both teams will be. Competition breeds competitiveness, maybe at a state level.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Playing a tournament won't prove a thing as far as "dethroning" Fort Mill goes.

This isn't Club soccer with its "gotsoccer" points......

If Clover dethrones FM it will be on the field, head to head.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Don't get me wrong Daddy, I agree with you. This is the 3rd year in a row that Clover is going to "dethrone" FM according to some. I was simply saying that it will be good for both teams for Clover to play a more difficult out of region schedule because it will make the head to head games better and in the end, the chances for both teams to advance deep into the playoffs better.

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
cid,

So you're saying that FM will go further in the playoffs because Clover is playing in the Viking Cup?? I think that you are making a real big stretch on this one.... you are way off base on that argument.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
No,

More that, the better that Clover becomes, the better FM has to be to beat them. That in turn makes both teams better and would allow them to move further in the playoffs. Being in the Viking Cup will simply prove whether or not clover is as good as advertised.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
So.....does the Viking Cup reveal good teams? Or does the Viking Cup make good teams? Cid, you seem to think playing in VC will make Clover better, and I disagree.

I think the VC is irrelevant to whether or not Clover overtakes FM this year.

I understand the purpose and I understand the allure of the tournament. I watched it one year when my daughter was a freshman at FM. Who, if memory serves me didn't have a stellar VC tournament that year but went on to do very well in the playoffs. Imagine....

If Clover goes and does well at Viking Cup then the "powers that be" will crown them a worthy, up and coming program. And if they do poorly....then they'll be consigned to the status of overrated and overhyped.

None of which will matter when they play FM.

Both games last year ended in ties. Both games were won in PK's by FM. Both games last year.....Ashleigh Sheets was an absolute beast.

Sheets is off to West Point and this year is this year. Whether Clover can climb that mountain remains to be seen. Somehow I don't think VC will matter one whit when the two schools play head to head.

Not dissing Viking Cup at all. To me its a reward for being a good program....and a little bit like the pre-season NIT in college basketball. Its a tease....a sneak peak at playoff time.

But utterly meaningless for intra-region games.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Big Daddy,
2008 VC Final Wando 2-1 over Lexington
2008 State Champs Wando
VC great preview for 2009 season

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard