Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Big Daddy,

This is where I do disagree. So what your saying is that because clover will have to play 3 quality opponents, that will not make them better? I think playing better competition does make you better. Look at the region with Byrnes, Dorman, etc. Yes, it is the regular season (although VC games count, don't they?), but after beating each other up all year they are more prepared for the postseason. If I remember correctly, they had both dorman and Maulding in the upperstate final last year. which makes you a better team, playing great competition all the time or playing a relatively weak non-region? you answered it yourself. FM did poorly in the VC the year your daughter was a freshman then made a run. they were ready for playoff competition because of their non-region/tournament choices.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
world cup
world cup
Better teams, playing better competition, make for a more competitive region. Games are more fun and exciting when they are competitive.

I've been around long enough to remember when Northwestern would thump Fort Mill every game, and we were in regions with Dorman, Spartanburg, Byrnes, Boiling Springs, Spring Valley and Ridgeview.

Clover was 3A. Rock Hill didn't have a girls team. South Pointe and Nation Ford didn't exist.

It's nice to have some competitive teams up in York County. The 2009 season should be interesting.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Cid, I don't disagree with you at all that playing a handful of challenging non-region games will help prep you for the grind that is the playoffs. I'm just saying....you don't need to play VC to get those games.

Up here in suburban Charlotte its very easy on the girls side to get great non-region games.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Big Daddy,
2008 VC Final Wando 2-1 over Lexington
2008 State Champs Wando
VC great preview for 2009 season

Absolutely. I think that's what I said.

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

You only get to play in two tournaments per season. Unless you are playing in a tournament in Charlotte against a couple of darn good opponents, there is really no substitute for the Viking Cup. Great competition and an exciting atmosphere.....right off the bat.

Viking Cup will provide the champ (no pun intended) and the runner-up with five quality matches in a three-day span. That's almost too much. In Charlotte, NC teams are restricted to three games per week, maximum one game per day and no play on Sundays. The most games you can probably get out of a Charlotte tournament would be two.

Last edited by Hurst66; 01/03/09 12:23 AM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Better teams, playing better competition, make for a more competitive region. Games are more fun and exciting when they are competitive.

I've been around long enough to remember when Northwestern would thump Fort Mill every game, and we were in regions with Dorman, Spartanburg, Byrnes, Boiling Springs, Spring Valley and Ridgeview.

Clover was 3A. Rock Hill didn't have a girls team. South Pointe and Nation Ford didn't exist.

It's nice to have some competitive teams up in York County. The 2009 season should be interesting.

Hurst.....it takes a pipeline of good players feeding multiple schools to improve the competitiveness of the region. Not playing in tournaments.

Clover-Fort Mill is a rivalry not because CLover has
"finally" stepped up to play Viking Cup. Its a rivalry because so many of those girls have played club soccer with and in some cases against each other.

Northside did a lot to fill that player pipeline up.....and I don't see Discoveries or Carolina Select filling that void. I see a region that will have big issues on the girls side of things in a couple of years if people don't get cracking. Things will go right back to the way it was back when your oldest played.

You want a more competitive region? Then York County should have at least 2 girls teams in every age group playing club. Somewhere. Charlotte Soccer Club....Charlotte United....Discoveries.....CSSC. Doesn't matter where.

I don't believe we have it.....after the 93's. Maybe 94's.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Daddy,

You only get to play in two tournaments per season. Unless you are playing in a tournament in Charlotte against a couple of darn good opponents, there is really no substitute for the Viking Cup. Great competition and an exciting atmosphere.....right off the bat.

Viking Cup will provide the champ (no pun intended) and the runner-up with five quality matches in a three-day span. That's almost too much. In Charlotte, NC teams are restricted to three games per week, maximum one game per day and no play on Sundays. The most games you can probably get out of a Charlotte tournament would be two.

Agreed. If I were the varsity coach of a good side I'd want to play VC to test my teams mettle. But I wouldn't underestimate someone who chose a different path. Playoffs are 1 game every other day? 1 game every third day?

5 games in 3 days is a different dynamic. I actualy like and prefer the Charlotte rules....

To channel my inner Chico......Viking Cup didn't develop Lexington or Wando, it revealed them. With or without VC those teams would have been in the Final 2 last year.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Big Daddy,
2008 VC Final Wando 2-1 over Lexington
2008 State Champs Wando
VC great preview for 2009 season

Absolutely. I think that's what I said.

Sounds like exactly what BD said, yes...VC seem to do a good job of REVEALING talent early on, and is a good indicator of a strong team's potential. If I'm reading you right, Big Daddy, I agree...Wando performed well at VC because they were a state-champion-caliber, talented, well-developed team of players who maintain themselves year-round--not Wando was a state-champion-caliber team because they went to VC and won. I strongly suspect they would have been beasts on the field whether they went to VC or not.

Of course, I also agree with Hurst...hard to find a substitute for that kind of competition to start your season...looking forward to the day when we can build Berkeley to that caliber. Working on that pipeline of good feeders for now!

I've got good news and bad news...
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Bingo, Coach Chass!!!

I'm antsy to get started.....its going to be a great season!!!

World Cup
World Cup
Playing better teams doesn't make you better?

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard