Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I think you need to have a mix of both stiff competition and some winnable games at the beginning of the season. After last season, I can see that it is important to have a good start.

Much, much, agreed!

You may have AA as your classification, but you are one of the games we measure ourselves by. Are we as physical, as aggressive, as cohesive, and - of course - as tan!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sometimes it's better to look good than to play good..Who wants to lose or win without a tan

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------
My first two years at Hanna were 10-11-1 and 7-13. Not always the happiest of days. We would be put out in round 1. The next two years we went 14-5 and 17-5, out the first round, but the easier scheduling got the girls more excited about soccer and gave us some credibility. Had we scheduled harder, maybe we would have been a little better prepared for playoffs...but I don't think it would have set the program in the right direction. Girls need to be happy.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Girls need to be happy"
What are you talking about?
Girls needs to be put in a competitive environment on a daily basis, and understand winning and losing are a part of the game and part of life.

sorry I am late to the conversation guys, but I read this and just shook my head...even the most competitive girls that I have been associated with would quit if it didn't make them happy. Michael, I think what you did and what i see some other coaches do in scheduling to build confidence really got things rolling here in Anderson and now I have the luxury of scheduling hard because they already have confidence. This is definitely an aspect to coaching girls that is a bit different from boys.

CJ #111555 01/06/09 04:35 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Agreeing with Dale Jr. and CJ on this one again...one of the fundamentals of teaching and coaching is being able to set achievable goals so that they can experience progress and success. This doesn't just apply to girls, but the enjoying what you do factor does play a larger role; girls are less likely to just stick around and "grind it out" just because they feel like they're "supposed to."

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How do you build confidence if you only schedule teams that you probably won't win against..Girls have to feel like they are moving forward to improve..Nothing wrong with that !!

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I disagree with ALL of you. Building false self-esteem in female athletes will not help them reach a high level in the game. Girls are smart and can see through the BS.
You want to build a winning program, then be honest with your players. We live in to much of this "feel good society".

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This is High School we are talking about..Right?
What kind of self esteem are you building if your team never wins a game because the schedule is to tough?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Kind of hard to remember back a bunch of pages....but this twist originated with Cid commenting, and I'm paraphrasing, that VC would be interesting this year now that Clover has finally stepped up.

I didn't outright say this....but I guess this most recent bend to the debate speaks to my point better than I did. Prior to pretty much 2 years ago Clover wasn't on anyone's radar screen for girls soccer. Two years ago, with a deep and reasonably talented group of freshman they came out of nowhere and stepped up and provided legitimate challenge to Northwestern and Fort Mill in our region. Last year...they took grief in some quarters for not playing Viking Cup.

This year they are.

It doesn't mean they've gotten brave. It doesn't mean they were scared or cowards last year. Building a program is like building a house. You have to first build a great foundation.....and then you can step in an build that gourmet kitchen or awesome game room.

This is the second year this school has had "expectations".

I thnk they are right on schedule.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

How do you build confidence if you only schedule teams that you probably won't win against..Girls have to feel like they are moving forward to improve..Nothing wrong with that !!

These are comments that apply to kids in general....not just girls. Kids need to be appropriately challenged. Wando girls would probably hate school soccer if they never got to play Lexington or Summerville or whomeever....and ended up in a bunch of 10-0 games where they had to play keep away or only score on headers or whatever.

Young, talented teams with a culture of winning need to play a steady diet of tough games with the occasional gimme thrown in. Tough games to get them better and keep them grounded....odd gimme game to keep it fun.

Young talented teams without that culture of winning....need
to learn how to win. Doesn't mean you give them nothing but sandbagged wins....but they need to learn to play the right way and they need to learn to close things out. They still need the occasional Wando-esque game to keep things real.

But to me....to assume only one path is ridiculous. How you schedule depends on what you have, where you've been, and where you plan on going.

world cup
world cup
Well-said Daddy.

"Ability" and "expectations" should be strongly considered when scheduling matches for the high school season. Not everyone is the same.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard