Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
At what point do you go from "building the program" to "expecting to win" as far as your schedule goes?

Daddy, you are right on with your last comment.
usually for a good team, there are enough "gimmie" games in the region schedule (Unless you are in the Dorman, Mauldin, Byrnes, Spartanburg region). I would like to see "up-and-coming" teams avoid "gimmies" when they can schedule competitive games that they should still win.
The biggest problem I see with having too many easy games on the schedule is that you never really learn how to deal with adversity (being down) or learn how to close out a game with the opponent applying intense pressure.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
World Cup
World Cup
It can be intimidating for girls when you are suddenly ranked and dealing with success. We had two seasons where we learned to do that and built character and pride in our program. Then we went out and lost in the 3rd round by a goal to the state champ. We didn't feel intimidated or scared, because we had 2 and a half seasons of expectations and confidence. Once that confidence and swagger is established, it's time to tune up the schedule become a big girl.

I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise. Hug him if you see him.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"At what point do you go from "building the program" to "expecting to win" as far as your schedule goes?"

I think the coach makes that call. And I think that depends on circumstances. Age of players....availability of "great" players. Depth/breadth of solid players.

If I have a Jr/Sr driven team I'm probably going to be more aggressive with them. A freshman/sophomore driven team I'm probably going to be a little more protective of.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

It can be intimidating for girls when you are suddenly ranked and dealing with success. We had two seasons where we learned to do that and built character and pride in our program. Then we went out and lost in the 3rd round by a goal to the state champ. We didn't feel intimidated or scared, because we had 2 and a half seasons of expectations and confidence. Once that confidence and swagger is established, it's time to tune up the schedule become a big girl.

I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise. Hug him if you see him.

Agree across the board Dale jr. And Cid to your comment about scheduling tough non-region games I agree.....totally,
once the team has established itself.

Jim Finnerty did a great job of scheduling Fort Mill when he was here.....not just good tournaments, but also playing a bunch of the Charlotte schools. Not lesser Charlotte schools, but the best schools.

But he had an established program with high expectations and most importantly....a good mix of players. A lot of good solid club players and usually 1 or 2 D-1 caliber playmakers.

If half your team doesn't play club soccer and you don't have a kid destined for USC or Clemson or C of C.....then you need to take a different approach.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 01/06/09 03:03 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I disagree with ALL of you. Building false self-esteem in female athletes will not help them reach a high level in the game. Girls are smart and can see through the BS.
You want to build a winning program, then be honest with your players. We live in to much of this "feel good society".

I don't think anyone is talking about building FALSE self-esteem by stacking a schedule with nothing but "gimme" games. I think what is being discussed is building a true sense of self-esteem by scheduling matches that are appropriately challenging for a team's developmental level. "Winnable" should not be translated into "easily winnable," and again, I think it's important to have a good mix of confidence builders, even matches that could go either way that are winnable if they play their best, and "challenge" matches that show them what they will need to do to move up to the next level of competition. That's about the best form of honesty; give them real, firsthand evidence that they're neither hopeless nor bulletproof--a range of competition that lets them see how far they have progressed, but also where they still need to go. Scheduling only teams that are over their heads isn't being honest either, because you're not allowing them to see that they CAN be competitive.

I've got good news and bad news...
world cup
world cup
This is a very interesting discussion on scheduling. Much has been said (on many other threads) about high school soccer taking a back seat to club soccer, but I really like the idea that high school coaches are free to schedule opponents to give themselves competitive games. This luxury does not exist in club soccer, outside of picking your tournaments and setting up friendlies. In club soccer you are put into a division and you are restricted to playing those teams in your league. If you are the BEST team in the league, you are not going to get much competition and your matches won't be too exciting. If you are the WORST team in the league, you are obviously punching way above your weight and get ready to absorb some blows (with no relief).

In high school soccer you have more freedom to adjust your schedule to fit your needs.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise"
and it seems to be working....

C
Coach
Coach
C
Only to a certain extent, of course...region matches are non-negotiable, and in some cases (such as in regions VII and VIII-AAAA) there is an agreement between two regions to play each other in out-of-region play. Still, even then, there remains a little bit of flexibility to schedule at least a couple of matches per year based on compatibility and development strategy...I had a 14-game schedule handed to me this year, which gives me two matches to schedule myself, plus the option to trade in one tournament for two more regular-season games. Better than previous years when the whole 16-game schedule was done for us and handed to the coaches.

hat-trick
hat-trick
In region V-AAAA there are 8 teams so, if we play tournaments, we only have 2 non-region games to schedule in the regular season.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

"I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise"
and it seems to be working....

Give me a hug you angry midlands fan, you!!!

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard