12.Aiken
13. James Island
14. Clover
15.T.L. Hanna

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I think this is the year that Clover overtakes Fort Mill. Sorry Hurst and McCoy....

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
You have to make room for Lexington in there..Graduation should not have a big affect on a strong program..Summerville had a large group graduate but you still have them at 8

K
kick off
kick off
K
who do you think plays for and wins the state championship in this division?

world cup
world cup
No need to apologize to FM Big Daddy. We had our run.

We'll be happy to struggle for the 4th seed in Region 3 4A, behind Nation Ford and Northwestern.

As long as we can get into the play-offs......we'll have a shot.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Wando vs Mauldin in rematch of last year.
"You have to make room for Lexington in there" -- No keeper, no offense and out of control coach.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

Wando vs Mauldin in rematch of last year.
"You have to make room for Lexington in there" -- No keeper, no offense and out of control coach.

I am not sure how one can really think Lexington will not be a top 15 program this year. I know they lost some really great players the past 2 years but they have so many players to draw from. I have heard they had somewhere in the range of 80-100 players tryout for JV alone last year? I have heard they have the luxury of "cutting" challenge level club players? Again--I have "heard"....maybe someone from the Lexington program can shed some light.

K
kick off
kick off
K
How do you see a Wando/Mauldin final going? Who wins and why?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I never said Lexington would be in the finals..But they should be ranked in the top 15..One better top 10

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How do you rank Summerville eighth? Share what you know about them

World Cup
World Cup
Unranked Irmo to #7. Are they bringing up some studly players? I know they lost some quality players (that whipped us good!).

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
This list seems to be based on Last year's results and several of us have huge shoes to fill from graduation. Especially us, Wando, Dorman, Spring Valley and Byrnes. I think Mauldin, Dutch Fork and Summerville have their key players back and should be very good.

Oh, and not that I want to be the spelling police but it is okay to spell Spartanburg S-p-a-r-k-l-e C-i-t-y

Quote:

1. Wando
2. Mauldin
3. Dutch Fork
4. Spring Valley
5. Dorman
6. Byrnes
7. Irmo
8. Summerville
9. Spartenburg
10. Fort Mill
11. North Augusta
12.Aiken
13. James Island
14. Clover
15.T.L. Hanna

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

No need to apologize to FM Big Daddy. We had our run.

We'll be happy to struggle for the 4th seed in Region 3 4A, behind Nation Ford and Northwestern.

As long as we can get into the play-offs......we'll have a shot.

Who said anything about Northwestern or Nation Ford? I just said that i think this is the year Clover wins the Region.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Big Daddy,
I know very little about Clover and would love some insight...where would you rank them?

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
(Unranked Irmo to #7. Are they bringing up some studly players? I know they lost some quality players (that whipped us good!).
They will have a core of the players from the U15 CUFC Premier team and and 2 players moving from DF.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How about Summerville at eight..What do you know?

hat-trick
hat-trick
When you think about rankings for the 5-AAAA teams (Dutch Fork, Lexington, N. Augusta, Aiken, and Irmo have all been mentioned in this thread), remember that there are eight teams in the region so they will each have 14 region games and only two non-region, regular season games. That means it will be difficult to have more than a couple of these teams ranked very highly because they will all be beating each other up. The five teams listed above will have at least 20 region losses spread among themselves.

The concept of strong teams in a region beating themselves up is certainly not limited to region 5-AAAA, but it will be interesting to see how this one turns out with five teams that are being seen as potentially "ranked" teams.

Last edited by Peabody; 12/22/08 02:59 PM.
B
goal
goal
B
soccer rocks,

I'm probably going to show some ignorance here, and haven't really ever been known to post anything here. I am curious though about some of the differences. I know on the boys side, a core group of U15 premier players moving up to varsity, wouldn't necessarily take a team from unranked to top 10. I'm sure I will be corrected/enlightened by some of the posters here.

CJ #111510 12/22/08 04:34 PM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Big Daddy,
I know very little about Clover and would love some insight...where would you rank them?

How to answer that one?

They have a very strong senior returning, a very strong junior class, a good nucleus of returning sophomores, and several good incoming freshman. A very strong coaching staff....the kids will be well coached and play a good style, thru the midfield.

I can't possibly rank them becasue I don't know the other state teams that well. I do believe they will beat out Fort Mill to win the region this year. I would project this years Clover team.....a little ahead of last years FM team, not as good as the FM teams from 2-3 years ago.

I doubt they make a serious run at States. Most teams that are Final 2, FInal 4 type teams....have a couple of players who are flat out special. And I don't thihnk they have that type of difference maker.

Definetely a top 10 team....maybe top 5-6.

F
goal
goal
F
4-A Pre-Season Top 15

1. Wando
2. Mauldin
3. Dorman
4. TL Hanna
5. Dutch Fork
6. Lexington
7. Clover
8. Irmo
9. Spartanburg
10. North Augusta
11. Fort Mill
12. Byrnes
13. Wren
14. Summerville
15. Spring Valley
---------------------- 16-25
16. West Florence
17. Northwestern
18. Nation Ford
19. James Island
20. West Ashley
21. Blythewood
22. Boiling Springs
23. Greenwood
24. Aiken
25. Ridge View

All of these teams have the potential to be ranked over the course of the year.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Ryan,
Do you base ranking Wando #1 on the last two years or do you know that they are still loaded? Shannon Champ does a great job down there, but they graduated a couple of great players. Mauldin starts about half of the CESA 90 team and I do think that the top two are the pre-season favorites to meet again in the championship.

CJ #111513 12/23/08 02:46 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
CJ,
Wando is still loaded..Most if not all of the players played for BFA.Let's remember their JV did not lose a game amd I think they did not even allow a goal..If they lose many games it will be because they got to use to winning..If that makes sense

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 12/23/08 02:47 PM.
throw in
throw in
Didn't Wando lose their goalie too?

Nothing is Impossible
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Yes..The backup goalies played on the 17 and 16 BFA teams..I think they will be ready for H.S. ball

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Wando has a more difficult task to reach the the State Championship with the addition of DF, Irmo, NA and Aiken (not to mentiom Summerville and West Asley)to the Lower State.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Never said it would be easy..Three in a row would be tough and I never said they were going to win it again..My question was why do you think Summerville will be eighth?

world cup
world cup
Nice to see that 4A has finally balanced out. Seems that over the past few years, the road through the upper state has been more difficult than the road through the lower state.

The way I see it, of the top 16 teams in 4A, eight are in the upper state and eight are in the lower state.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Might be a loaded question, CHT...but do you think the zoning for Ashley Ridge might be costing Summerville some talent this season?

I've got good news and bad news...
V
kick off
kick off
V
DF has been in Region 5 Lower State for last few years. DF and Wando met in the Lower State Championship in the spring of 2007.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Not really..It's like they drew the lines around the soccer players and most are at SHS..They did lose out on one Region three player..I will let you guess who that is..I think it will play a role on how deep SHS is in the future..The reason I ask..is I want to know what someone else might know about SHS.I do not see them being as strong as last year..It was not one player in particular that graduated but it was a core of girls that had played together since they were eleven years old.They will be fine in their region play.They did lose out on a talented freshmen that switched to Pinewood..I think they will do fine but number eight..I do not know.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Heh...knowing Summerville's tradition of influence, they probably DID draw the lines around the majority of athletes. No guessing required on the RIII player. As for last year's core...watching them play, it was obvious that this was a group who had played together for years; they were seamless, and it was apparent that they always knew what their teammates were going to do without even having to look up. If this core has graduated, and there's not a similarly composed group who know each other well to move up, then I would say they will certainly feel that loss.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Looks like we will find out how good FM and Clover are as it looks like Clover has finally joined the Viking Cup. That will give everyone a good look-see.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
O
kick off
kick off
O
Ahh Cid...your usual jab @ Clover

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Actually, I am glad that they will be in the Viking Cup. Along with my jabs, I have always thought that a team who is going to "dethrone" FM should show it's talent to the state. the VC is a good way. The more competition FM gets from Clover, the better both teams will be. Competition breeds competitiveness, maybe at a state level.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Playing a tournament won't prove a thing as far as "dethroning" Fort Mill goes.

This isn't Club soccer with its "gotsoccer" points......

If Clover dethrones FM it will be on the field, head to head.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Don't get me wrong Daddy, I agree with you. This is the 3rd year in a row that Clover is going to "dethrone" FM according to some. I was simply saying that it will be good for both teams for Clover to play a more difficult out of region schedule because it will make the head to head games better and in the end, the chances for both teams to advance deep into the playoffs better.

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
cid,

So you're saying that FM will go further in the playoffs because Clover is playing in the Viking Cup?? I think that you are making a real big stretch on this one.... you are way off base on that argument.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
No,

More that, the better that Clover becomes, the better FM has to be to beat them. That in turn makes both teams better and would allow them to move further in the playoffs. Being in the Viking Cup will simply prove whether or not clover is as good as advertised.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
So.....does the Viking Cup reveal good teams? Or does the Viking Cup make good teams? Cid, you seem to think playing in VC will make Clover better, and I disagree.

I think the VC is irrelevant to whether or not Clover overtakes FM this year.

I understand the purpose and I understand the allure of the tournament. I watched it one year when my daughter was a freshman at FM. Who, if memory serves me didn't have a stellar VC tournament that year but went on to do very well in the playoffs. Imagine....

If Clover goes and does well at Viking Cup then the "powers that be" will crown them a worthy, up and coming program. And if they do poorly....then they'll be consigned to the status of overrated and overhyped.

None of which will matter when they play FM.

Both games last year ended in ties. Both games were won in PK's by FM. Both games last year.....Ashleigh Sheets was an absolute beast.

Sheets is off to West Point and this year is this year. Whether Clover can climb that mountain remains to be seen. Somehow I don't think VC will matter one whit when the two schools play head to head.

Not dissing Viking Cup at all. To me its a reward for being a good program....and a little bit like the pre-season NIT in college basketball. Its a tease....a sneak peak at playoff time.

But utterly meaningless for intra-region games.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Big Daddy,
2008 VC Final Wando 2-1 over Lexington
2008 State Champs Wando
VC great preview for 2009 season

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Big Daddy,

This is where I do disagree. So what your saying is that because clover will have to play 3 quality opponents, that will not make them better? I think playing better competition does make you better. Look at the region with Byrnes, Dorman, etc. Yes, it is the regular season (although VC games count, don't they?), but after beating each other up all year they are more prepared for the postseason. If I remember correctly, they had both dorman and Maulding in the upperstate final last year. which makes you a better team, playing great competition all the time or playing a relatively weak non-region? you answered it yourself. FM did poorly in the VC the year your daughter was a freshman then made a run. they were ready for playoff competition because of their non-region/tournament choices.

world cup
world cup
Better teams, playing better competition, make for a more competitive region. Games are more fun and exciting when they are competitive.

I've been around long enough to remember when Northwestern would thump Fort Mill every game, and we were in regions with Dorman, Spartanburg, Byrnes, Boiling Springs, Spring Valley and Ridgeview.

Clover was 3A. Rock Hill didn't have a girls team. South Pointe and Nation Ford didn't exist.

It's nice to have some competitive teams up in York County. The 2009 season should be interesting.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Cid, I don't disagree with you at all that playing a handful of challenging non-region games will help prep you for the grind that is the playoffs. I'm just saying....you don't need to play VC to get those games.

Up here in suburban Charlotte its very easy on the girls side to get great non-region games.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Big Daddy,
2008 State Champs Wando

Absolutely. I think that's what I said.

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

You only get to play in two tournaments per season. Unless you are playing in a tournament in Charlotte against a couple of darn good opponents, there is really no substitute for the Viking Cup. Great competition and an exciting atmosphere.....right off the bat.

Viking Cup will provide the champ (no pun intended) and the runner-up with five quality matches in a three-day span. That's almost too much. In Charlotte, NC teams are restricted to three games per week, maximum one game per day and no play on Sundays. The most games you can probably get out of a Charlotte tournament would be two.

Last edited by Hurst66; 01/03/09 12:23 AM.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Better teams, playing better competition, make for a more competitive region. Games are more fun and exciting when they are competitive.

I've been around long enough to remember when Northwestern would thump Fort Mill every game, and we were in regions with Dorman, Spartanburg, Byrnes, Boiling Springs, Spring Valley and Ridgeview.

Clover was 3A. Rock Hill didn't have a girls team. South Pointe and Nation Ford didn't exist.

It's nice to have some competitive teams up in York County. The 2009 season should be interesting.

Hurst.....it takes a pipeline of good players feeding multiple schools to improve the competitiveness of the region. Not playing in tournaments.

Clover-Fort Mill is a rivalry not because CLover has
"finally" stepped up to play Viking Cup. Its a rivalry because so many of those girls have played club soccer with and in some cases against each other.

Northside did a lot to fill that player pipeline up.....and I don't see Discoveries or Carolina Select filling that void. I see a region that will have big issues on the girls side of things in a couple of years if people don't get cracking. Things will go right back to the way it was back when your oldest played.

You want a more competitive region? Then York County should have at least 2 girls teams in every age group playing club. Somewhere. Charlotte Soccer Club....Charlotte United....Discoveries.....CSSC. Doesn't matter where.

I don't believe we have it.....after the 93's. Maybe 94's.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Daddy,

You only get to play in two tournaments per season. Unless you are playing in a tournament in Charlotte against a couple of darn good opponents, there is really no substitute for the Viking Cup. Great competition and an exciting atmosphere.....right off the bat.

Viking Cup will provide the champ (no pun intended) and the runner-up with five quality matches in a three-day span. That's almost too much. In Charlotte, NC teams are restricted to three games per week, maximum one game per day and no play on Sundays. The most games you can probably get out of a Charlotte tournament would be two.

Agreed. If I were the varsity coach of a good side I'd want to play VC to test my teams mettle. But I wouldn't underestimate someone who chose a different path. Playoffs are 1 game every other day? 1 game every third day?

5 games in 3 days is a different dynamic. I actualy like and prefer the Charlotte rules....

To channel my inner Chico......Viking Cup didn't develop Lexington or Wando, it revealed them. With or without VC those teams would have been in the Final 2 last year.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Quote:

Big Daddy,
2008 State Champs Wando

Absolutely. I think that's what I said.

Sounds like exactly what BD said, yes...VC seem to do a good job of REVEALING talent early on, and is a good indicator of a strong team's potential. If I'm reading you right, Big Daddy, I agree...Wando performed well at VC because they were a state-champion-caliber, talented, well-developed team of players who maintain themselves year-round--not Wando was a state-champion-caliber team because they went to VC and won. I strongly suspect they would have been beasts on the field whether they went to VC or not.

Of course, I also agree with Hurst...hard to find a substitute for that kind of competition to start your season...looking forward to the day when we can build Berkeley to that caliber. Working on that pipeline of good feeders for now!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Bingo, Coach Chass!!!

I'm antsy to get started.....its going to be a great season!!!

World Cup
World Cup
Playing better teams doesn't make you better?

C
Coach
Coach
C
I sure as heck hope so...otherwise we've been going about this all the wrong way!

world cup
world cup
I would imagine that if you are not ready, over-scheduling could cause you problems.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Playing better teams doesn't make you better?

Again, I'm interpreting and may be off base, but I think what BD is trying to say is that playing top-notch teams in one preseason tournament doesn't make as much difference in team development as consistently playing strong teams throughout the season and maintaining good year-round conditioning and competition.

I also suspect a team's success in a strong preseason tournament like the VC may also be related to the number of players who are coming off of a fall club season of strong competition...which, again, would make the VC a great indicator of developed talent, but not necessarily the developer.

Still, it would be the first opportunity for players returning to a high school team from separate clubs to learn to gel together again in a high-pressure situation, which could actually benefit them in the first games of the regular season--although most teams start their seasons with out-of-region matches for this very reason, so that unity is achieved by the time region play and playoff seedings become an issue anyway.

At any rate, it seems logical that a team that starts out winning in the VC (such as the earlier example of Wando) has already achieved a superior level of development from the get-go. If you want to talk about how the VC can MAKE teams better, let's talk about teams who do "fair to middlin'" in the VC and use it as a growth tool to get stronger as the regular season develops.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Yeah, I'll have to admit, I wouldn't always pick 'em the way they're handed to us...but no doubt the "get better or get embarrassed" factor is a powerful motivator. We are not a highly-experienced, club-fed team...but I think we are much better for having played a schedule with Wando, West Ashley, James Island, Summerville, and the like than we would be if we hadn't played them.

World Cup
World Cup
My first two years at Hanna were 10-11-1 and 7-13. Not always the happiest of days. We would be put out in round 1. The next two years we went 14-5 and 17-5, out the first round, but the easier scheduling got the girls more excited about soccer and gave us some credibility. Had we scheduled harder, maybe we would have been a little better prepared for playoffs...but I don't think it would have set the program in the right direction. Girls need to be happy.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Definitely agree with that...most players on developing teams will put a lot more into it and get more out of it when they enjoy what they're doing and can see some success and accomplishment. I think we're fortunate at this point to have a mix on our schedule of teams we can be competitive with and strong, upper-level teams that give us something to stretch for. I think they get just as much kick out of making top-notch teams have to work a little for what they get as they do out of winning games against other teams. They know that many schools on our development level fluctuate from year to year in team strength, but strong programs (Wando, for example) tend to maintain that high standard, and how well we perform under that kind of pressure is a good measure of our progress from year to year. Sometimes it's easier to see and measure your movement across a broad gap than a narrow one.

Used to be, my girls dreaded playing Wando twice every season...now they look forward to it--not because they expect to win (yet! ) but because it gives them a sense of where they are compared to some of the best in the state. The first match is a test of how hard they can make a great team work for their goals, and the second is a challenge to see a visible improvement over the first. It's usually the best, hardest, most inspired soccer they play all season. In contrast, we played a few games over the last couple of years that were pretty easy wins without too much effort...and those wins were some of the worst, most uninspiring, anticlimactic games of the season--the girls really weren't having fun, and they weren't too happy about themselves afterward.

So yeah...as far as building a program is concerned, girls do need to be happy to play their best, and I think balance is the way to go in that...a schedule that allows them to be competitive and pull out some wins they can be proud of, but at the same time give them something to stretch for as well, and the ability to be proud of the stretching itself, even if it hasn't yet turned into winning.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
--------------------------------------------------------------
My first two years at Hanna were 10-11-1 and 7-13. Not always the happiest of days. We would be put out in round 1. The next two years we went 14-5 and 17-5, out the first round, but the easier scheduling got the girls more excited about soccer and gave us some credibility. Had we scheduled harder, maybe we would have been a little better prepared for playoffs...but I don't think it would have set the program in the right direction. Girls need to be happy.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Girls need to be happy"
What are you talking about?
Girls needs to be put in a competitive environment on a daily basis, and understand winning and losing are a part of the game and part of life.

World Cup
World Cup
So girls don't need to be happy and enjoy what they're doing? Ohhhhhhhhhh boy good luck with that one! That chuckle is going to last all day...

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Soccer rocks,
What school are you affiliated with?

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I think you need to have a mix of both stiff competition and some winnable games at the beginning of the season. After last season, I can see that it is important to have a good start.

Speaking of making girls happy, I just had a couple of my players ask for a schedule so that they could go ahead and schedule their tanning bed appointments!!?? Boy do I love coaching girls!!

Dale, I can guarantee you one thing..we may lose to you again this year...but we will be well-tanned.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

I think you need to have a mix of both stiff competition and some winnable games at the beginning of the season. After last season, I can see that it is important to have a good start.

Much, much, agreed!

You may have AA as your classification, but you are one of the games we measure ourselves by. Are we as physical, as aggressive, as cohesive, and - of course - as tan!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Sometimes it's better to look good than to play good..Who wants to lose or win without a tan

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Girls need to be happy"
What are you talking about?
Girls needs to be put in a competitive environment on a daily basis, and understand winning and losing are a part of the game and part of life.

sorry I am late to the conversation guys, but I read this and just shook my head...even the most competitive girls that I have been associated with would quit if it didn't make them happy. Michael, I think what you did and what i see some other coaches do in scheduling to build confidence really got things rolling here in Anderson and now I have the luxury of scheduling hard because they already have confidence. This is definitely an aspect to coaching girls that is a bit different from boys.

CJ #111555 01/06/09 04:35 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Agreeing with Dale Jr. and CJ on this one again...one of the fundamentals of teaching and coaching is being able to set achievable goals so that they can experience progress and success. This doesn't just apply to girls, but the enjoying what you do factor does play a larger role; girls are less likely to just stick around and "grind it out" just because they feel like they're "supposed to."

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How do you build confidence if you only schedule teams that you probably won't win against..Girls have to feel like they are moving forward to improve..Nothing wrong with that !!

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I disagree with ALL of you. Building false self-esteem in female athletes will not help them reach a high level in the game. Girls are smart and can see through the BS.
You want to build a winning program, then be honest with your players. We live in to much of this "feel good society".

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This is High School we are talking about..Right?
What kind of self esteem are you building if your team never wins a game because the schedule is to tough?

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Kind of hard to remember back a bunch of pages....but this twist originated with Cid commenting, and I'm paraphrasing, that VC would be interesting this year now that Clover has finally stepped up.

I didn't outright say this....but I guess this most recent bend to the debate speaks to my point better than I did. Prior to pretty much 2 years ago Clover wasn't on anyone's radar screen for girls soccer. Two years ago, with a deep and reasonably talented group of freshman they came out of nowhere and stepped up and provided legitimate challenge to Northwestern and Fort Mill in our region. Last year...they took grief in some quarters for not playing Viking Cup.

This year they are.

It doesn't mean they've gotten brave. It doesn't mean they were scared or cowards last year. Building a program is like building a house. You have to first build a great foundation.....and then you can step in an build that gourmet kitchen or awesome game room.

This is the second year this school has had "expectations".

I thnk they are right on schedule.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

How do you build confidence if you only schedule teams that you probably won't win against..Girls have to feel like they are moving forward to improve..Nothing wrong with that !!

These are comments that apply to kids in general....not just girls. Kids need to be appropriately challenged. Wando girls would probably hate school soccer if they never got to play Lexington or Summerville or whomeever....and ended up in a bunch of 10-0 games where they had to play keep away or only score on headers or whatever.

Young, talented teams with a culture of winning need to play a steady diet of tough games with the occasional gimme thrown in. Tough games to get them better and keep them grounded....odd gimme game to keep it fun.

Young talented teams without that culture of winning....need
to learn how to win. Doesn't mean you give them nothing but sandbagged wins....but they need to learn to play the right way and they need to learn to close things out. They still need the occasional Wando-esque game to keep things real.

But to me....to assume only one path is ridiculous. How you schedule depends on what you have, where you've been, and where you plan on going.

world cup
world cup
Well-said Daddy.

"Ability" and "expectations" should be strongly considered when scheduling matches for the high school season. Not everyone is the same.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
At what point do you go from "building the program" to "expecting to win" as far as your schedule goes?

Daddy, you are right on with your last comment.
usually for a good team, there are enough "gimmie" games in the region schedule (Unless you are in the Dorman, Mauldin, Byrnes, Spartanburg region). I would like to see "up-and-coming" teams avoid "gimmies" when they can schedule competitive games that they should still win.
The biggest problem I see with having too many easy games on the schedule is that you never really learn how to deal with adversity (being down) or learn how to close out a game with the opponent applying intense pressure.

World Cup
World Cup
It can be intimidating for girls when you are suddenly ranked and dealing with success. We had two seasons where we learned to do that and built character and pride in our program. Then we went out and lost in the 3rd round by a goal to the state champ. We didn't feel intimidated or scared, because we had 2 and a half seasons of expectations and confidence. Once that confidence and swagger is established, it's time to tune up the schedule become a big girl.

I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise. Hug him if you see him.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"At what point do you go from "building the program" to "expecting to win" as far as your schedule goes?"

I think the coach makes that call. And I think that depends on circumstances. Age of players....availability of "great" players. Depth/breadth of solid players.

If I have a Jr/Sr driven team I'm probably going to be more aggressive with them. A freshman/sophomore driven team I'm probably going to be a little more protective of.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

It can be intimidating for girls when you are suddenly ranked and dealing with success. We had two seasons where we learned to do that and built character and pride in our program. Then we went out and lost in the 3rd round by a goal to the state champ. We didn't feel intimidated or scared, because we had 2 and a half seasons of expectations and confidence. Once that confidence and swagger is established, it's time to tune up the schedule become a big girl.

I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise. Hug him if you see him.

Agree across the board Dale jr. And Cid to your comment about scheduling tough non-region games I agree.....totally,
once the team has established itself.

Jim Finnerty did a great job of scheduling Fort Mill when he was here.....not just good tournaments, but also playing a bunch of the Charlotte schools. Not lesser Charlotte schools, but the best schools.

But he had an established program with high expectations and most importantly....a good mix of players. A lot of good solid club players and usually 1 or 2 D-1 caliber playmakers.

If half your team doesn't play club soccer and you don't have a kid destined for USC or Clemson or C of C.....then you need to take a different approach.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 01/06/09 03:03 PM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

I disagree with ALL of you. Building false self-esteem in female athletes will not help them reach a high level in the game. Girls are smart and can see through the BS.
You want to build a winning program, then be honest with your players. We live in to much of this "feel good society".

I don't think anyone is talking about building FALSE self-esteem by stacking a schedule with nothing but "gimme" games. I think what is being discussed is building a true sense of self-esteem by scheduling matches that are appropriately challenging for a team's developmental level. "Winnable" should not be translated into "easily winnable," and again, I think it's important to have a good mix of confidence builders, even matches that could go either way that are winnable if they play their best, and "challenge" matches that show them what they will need to do to move up to the next level of competition. That's about the best form of honesty; give them real, firsthand evidence that they're neither hopeless nor bulletproof--a range of competition that lets them see how far they have progressed, but also where they still need to go. Scheduling only teams that are over their heads isn't being honest either, because you're not allowing them to see that they CAN be competitive.

world cup
world cup
This is a very interesting discussion on scheduling. Much has been said (on many other threads) about high school soccer taking a back seat to club soccer, but I really like the idea that high school coaches are free to schedule opponents to give themselves competitive games. This luxury does not exist in club soccer, outside of picking your tournaments and setting up friendlies. In club soccer you are put into a division and you are restricted to playing those teams in your league. If you are the BEST team in the league, you are not going to get much competition and your matches won't be too exciting. If you are the WORST team in the league, you are obviously punching way above your weight and get ready to absorb some blows (with no relief).

In high school soccer you have more freedom to adjust your schedule to fit your needs.

S
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise"
and it seems to be working....

C
Coach
Coach
C
Only to a certain extent, of course...region matches are non-negotiable, and in some cases (such as in regions VII and VIII-AAAA) there is an agreement between two regions to play each other in out-of-region play. Still, even then, there remains a little bit of flexibility to schedule at least a couple of matches per year based on compatibility and development strategy...I had a 14-game schedule handed to me this year, which gives me two matches to schedule myself, plus the option to trade in one tournament for two more regular-season games. Better than previous years when the whole 16-game schedule was done for us and handed to the coaches.

hat-trick
hat-trick
In region V-AAAA there are 8 teams so, if we play tournaments, we only have 2 non-region games to schedule in the regular season.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

"I really think Soccer Rocks is just trying to get a rise"
and it seems to be working....

Give me a hug you angry midlands fan, you!!!

G
throw in
throw in
G
CHT...Do you mean "How can Summerville be #8 without my daughter" or "Why such a low ranking"?

World Cup
World Cup
http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.p...=true#Post78090

Griff, you sure do dislike them Sum'ville folk

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Griff,What I wrote is what I meant..Why number eight?

G
throw in
throw in
G
The sad part is I knew that when I wrote it. You shouldn't get so worked up over a pre-season ranking, it means nothing. The reason why Summerville is number eight is because 7 teams are ranked ahead of them. Glad I could help.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Thanks..I think that's Soocer rocks picks..I was wandering what they know about SHS..Heck,I don't know enough about the teams to put them in any order..They could be number one as far as I know

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard