Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
What do you really want to accomplish having your child play travel soccer?

goal kick
goal kick
I want my children to learn how to play good soccer. I want them to experience team competition. I also want them to develop individual soccer skills, in the same manner as a parent might want his child to learn how to play tennis. I see soccer as a sport they can play for the rest of their lives, well past high school or college. Who knows where they will play in the future, but if they are able to confidently walk up to a pick up game, the club soccer experience will have been worthwhile. Does this mean that I think all is right with the club scene? Heck no. It is ridiculous that I should have to travel to another city to find a competitive game for a nine or ten year old kid. Something is seriously wrong with this picture. Our rec leagues are so bad that they have left a huge void, which has not been adequately filled by Academy level soccer, because it is too expensive and demands too much time commitment.

corner kick
corner kick
You said players too, so I'll add what I wanted out of Challenge/Premier League ball back when I played.

I wanted a team that played team oriented soccer, passing and possession based, but that could attack--all of my teams had a horrendous lack of ability to shoot when within 15 yards of the goal, so that was never accomplished. I wanted to learn to play with a team that was so well meshed that we could trust each other to be there for the pass or to balance on defense.

I wanted intense, competitive games where I had to work my butt off and hopefully play all 90 minutes of every game and come off feeling like I gave it 110% and that my teammates did too and to feel like I had an impact on the game.

And I wanted to be able to compete. Yes, it is satisfying knowing you did your best against a good team...but eventually you do that enough times and it sucks because it isn't enough. Winning is not everything, but it sure as heck usually makes things a lot more fun. Nothing feels better than coming off the turf after a hard fought game that you won, knowing you all earned it by working hard.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Link Copied to Clipboard