Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
"We are going to the Sub Regionals with great expectations."

The quote above was taken from the SCYSA ODP website in a letter from the director of ODP.

Would that not indicate that the state association mandated to the coaches to have true A and B teams and that winning at Sub Regionals was the overall goal.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I can say for the 94 Boys it seemed like an opportunity for the coaches to take another look at the boys and continue the "try out process." There were kids moving to different positions and coaches moving players in and out of the game. The young man that played keeper on Saturday isn't even a true goalie. They could have easily won all three games.

T
TS Offline
goal kick
goal kick
T
Does anyone know if the teams you play at region camp are determined by the outcome of your sub region games?

TS #111763 01/13/09 03:59 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
A little counsel... relax and enjoy the ODP experience. If the stress of your son or daughter making the state, region, or national team keeps you up at night or constantly telling your child to do this or do that... then your child will be just as stressed as you are. Speaking from a father that has a son in the system for the last 4 or 5 years... let the ODP system run and don't try to second guess it. If it is a bad system then the Academy or something else will put it out of business. Until then, it recognizes the cream that rises to the top on an off the pitch. They watch if little Johnny or Sally function without being under constant supervision of Dad or Mom. If the heat is too much in the kitchen, get out.
Mary Bynum, Van Taylor, and all the great college coaches of this state are doing the best they can and getting results. My hats off to all of them. We can discuss a lot of stuff on this board, but remember what you have your child in the ODP system for... and relax.

throw in
throw in
The sub-regional is advertised by SC ODP as the final try-out for the SC ODP teams which is different from at least some of the other states involved. I talked to some parents from VA who said that their teams were already formed and that they had four practices over the previous month or so. One would expect that a team practicing together should have the upper hand over a group of players placed together for a tryout.

It was pretty clear, in my opinion, that the SC 94 and 96 boys teams were A and B teams. I don’t know about the rest.

My 94 son found it to be a great experience whether he makes the final team or not. It gave him a chance to play the sport he loves with a diverse group of talented soccer players and make some new friends. The 94 SC1 boys team had three very close and exciting games which I enjoyed too. The chance to play with and against some of the top players in the southeast can only help a soccer player’s game. The 94 coaches are passionate about the game and it showed when they talk to the players. ODP is well worth the money in my opinion.

I
goal
goal
I
Last year the SC girls side did not do well versus the other teams or players. It would be wonderful if our state group would stop using this as the final try out and do the same thing others do. If the others, have try outs, make teams, then practice multiple times before the sub regional, so should SC.

The end result is not the only thing we should be worried about. Our girls need to show better than they do. If they do not, they will not be carried to the next level. Held over, whatever they call it.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Well said..Papa..It makes for an expensive tryout

goal
goal
why is it necessary for our "teams" to do well? no "teams" will make region or national pool, only individuals. now, don't get me wrong...i have always pulled for sc teams, and also for sc players, but when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter if your team does well or not, only that your child does well. true, region coaches are more likely to watch games of teams they know are better, but realistically, in general, an sc team is not going to be on that list. if your child is good enough, people will take notice. at region camp, either your child's coach or their region trainer will make it known to the right people.

4thekids and live&learn both seem satisfied with the experience, while RECCOS and cold&hard do not – you can’t make everybody happy. but, if you want to change how sc handles odp, you’re gonna have to do a lot more than complain on a bulletin board. there is a lot of work involved – you want to make a difference, volunteer to help.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I agree with what you are saying. However; the only time it really matters is if our SC "team" does well at regionals and move on to the Region III championships (Like the 92 boys have). Then they get yet another opportunity to be seen.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
In all fairness to the ODP program..We have a boy that played two years in the program and I guess you can say we were "happy" or let's say it was rewarding so when it was our daughters turn and she has played the last two years and the program was something less than what our son experienced..Less practices and numerous coaches that had over committed themselves..I can only speak for two specific years and ages groups and genders..So we are not totally "unhappy" with the program overall but the girls side could use alittle love and consistancy

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard