Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#111730 01/06/09 02:38 PM
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Do SC coaches split the teams evenly or is the number 1 team stronger? What about other states? The team lists look long, did all of these kids attend a try out?

H
goal
goal
H
You'll get different answers from different coaches. Even then, you'll just have to judge for yourself. I've seen groups divided in ways that were supposedly balanced, but clearly weren't. What matters more is that my experience has been that kids from both teams end up making the final squad. So, either way, it seems that the coaches are actually evaluating everyone.

goal
goal
i agree. i have seen times when it was "obvious" that there was an "a" and a "b" team. i have also seen when the coach(es) would put their best attackers on one team and their best defenders on another (not sure where they put the midfielders ). and also, like happy mentions above - when they have completely mixed it up. that is frustrating to watch, because you just know that south carolina could do better against other states' teams if our coaches had an "a" and a "b" team. but, i suppose, the main purpose of those matches is not to win, per se, but to narrow the list down to just one team.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

The team lists look long, did all of these kids attend a try out?

Where can one find the team lists?

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Quote:

Where can one find the team lists?

The list has not been posted online at the SCYSA website to date. The players who were selected received an email listing all of the players chosen. I don't believe a list has been posted online anywhere yet.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

ODP state, Regional,and National is a keep your options open system. The best players available at anytime can be inserted into a team. It's good in that it doesn't let anyone rest and believe they've made it.

goal
goal
yep. i had someone tell me the other day that a region coach told him that as soon as a player makes the residency program in bradenton, they are already looking for his replacement. basically an affirmation of what you just said. it can be taken away just as quickly as it is given, so just because you make it to that level, you'd better be prepared to fight for your place (although i would hope that anyone making it to that point would already BE a fighter, but you never know...)

M
bench
bench
M
Teams are divided - Team 1 being the "A" team and Team 2 being the "B" team. This is my 4th round with ODP and it has always been this way.

M
bench
bench
M
Checked several schedules with boys, girls and different age groups. It looks like SC1 team plays NC1, TN1 and GA1 teams. SC2 teams play NC2, TN2 and TN3 and GA3 and GA2 as well as some younger age groups. It is very obvious they are seperating them to improve outlook of games.

P
kick off
kick off
P
Teams were divided almost totally by alphabetical order. Late signees were added to the same team. They were not divided by ability. This is on the girls side. I wish they would have done so a little bit but that is not the case. They were told it was being done that way and that the results did not matter. This was being viewed as a try out and all the girls would get about the same playing time. Not what the other states do but remember this is South Carolina.

H
goal
goal
H
Like I said, it depends on the coach. Some seem to divide the teams based on perceived quality and others don't.

In any event, it's important to keep in mind that this event is, for SC, a tryout. There is no "winner" determined at the end of the event. The entire point is to identify the best players who will then go to Region Camp in the summer. The games played there will determine qualifiers for the Regional ODP Championships.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Teams were divided almost totally by alphabetical order. Late signees were added to the same team. They were not divided by ability. This is on the girls side. I wish they would have done so a little bit but that is not the case. They were told it was being done that way and that the results did not matter. This was being viewed as a try out and all the girls would get about the same playing time. Not what the other states do but remember this is South Carolina.

what age group is doing that this year?

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
For my daughters age group, the team was split pretty evenly. I based this on the number of "returning" players that went to ODP camp in July. In addition, at the practice on Saturday, I believe the girls were also told they were split evenly.

M
bench
bench
M
Watched the sc94g, sc95g and sc96g...it looked as if they divided the 94 and 95's into true 1 and 2 teams. The 96g looked very equally divided.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Please tell us more. What were the scores to the games?

bench
bench
9:00 AM Game SC931 vs 93GA1 0-4 (I think)

10:30 game SC932 vs. 93 TN1 1-1

4:30 game SC932 VS 93GA2 tied 1-1 at half 1-4 GA final

6:00 93SC1 vs. 92TN still playing..too cold and wet to stay when my daughter's game had already finished..

corner kick
corner kick
Any word on how the Boys teams did today?

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

Please tell us more. What were the scores to the games?

SC95-1 0 vs 2 GA95-1
SC95-1 0 vs 6 NC95-1(it could have been more, lost count)
SC95-1 2 vs 0 TN95-1

NC95-1 is why they call it the beautiful game. I know different states handle ODP differently, but those girls were an outstanding team. They had some superstars, but everyone on the pitch was great, and they were great together, not just individually.

C
throw in
throw in
C
In reference to the discussion of how the teams were divided, I can say that the 96G were divided randomly by alphabet. It was interesting that NC did not divide their kids by ability this year; they opted to divide them by location instead.

CITG #111749 01/12/09 05:10 PM
Brace
Brace
Can reply about 94 SC1 boys:

Lost NC2 0-1 but outplayed NC and should have won
Lost VA2 2-3 worst should have been tie
Tie GA2 0-0

Better results than last year.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Can reply about 94 SC1 boys:

Lost NC2 0-1 but outplayed NC and should have won
Lost VA2 2-3 worst should have been tie
Tie GA2 0-0

Better results than last year.

I'm sure losing 3 to the Academy didn't help!

Did you get a feeling of how the 94's were split?

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Did any SC girls teams win a match last weekend?

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Looking at the results one must wonder why SC insists on taking two teams (at each age group) to these events???

Expensive Tryout.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Looking at the results one must wonder why SC insists on taking two teams (at each age group) to these events???

Expensive Tryout.

where are the results

H
goal
goal
H
The "results" are immaterial. This isn't a tournament. I can't say how other states view this event, but SC uses it as part of its ODP tryout process - nothing more, nothing less. It gives the coaches an opportunity to see much more than they can in a two hour session.

So - don't worry about how we fared against the other states. What matters (at least in this context) is how we fare against the other states at Region Camp and in the Regional ODP Tournament.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I totally agree with HappyDaddy. To try to gauge sub region results from year to year is crazy. Who knows the answers to several questions including: Did the coaches change from your state or other states? They may have different views on what they want to get out of sub regions. Did "key" players from your state or other states move to a Academy team? Bridge Academy Players no longer playing odp have had an impact on SC. How many teams does your state have at sub regions? How are the teams structured from year to year.

I remember one year beating a Tennessee team like a drum. The following year felt really good going into the game only to be taken to the shed by them. Still don't have a real answer for it. Let's just say they were not the same team from the previous year.

So I totally agree with HappyDaddy - how we fare at sub regions is not really all that important. It is simply a part of the odp tryout process.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
I don't need sub regional's, or regional's, to know SC is weaker than NC or GA - no matter what year it is!

The point is why send everyone to GA or NC, paying hundreds of $$$$, for an extended tryout??

PS: I heard Sundays games in Georgia were 2x25min (only one game played).

L
Goal
Goal
L
because we can

H
goal
goal
H
While this is has been thrashed around before, it is worth mentioning again that it isn't fair to compare state teams from states with such population differences. NC and GA both have populations more than twice that of SC. Pool size is hugely important. I happen to think that the fact that we are competitive with their state teams speaks very well of SC soccer.

Why not look at the fact that we consistently do better than LA, AL, TN, etc., states of similar size?

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Expensive Tryout.

My son participated in the sub-regionals for the first time, was on a 'Team 2', and it was a very worthwhile experience for him, well worth the $250 for our purposes. The coaches for the 96s were excellent and handled it all very professionally. I, for one, am glad they "insisted" on taking 2 teams.

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
"We are going to the Sub Regionals with great expectations."

The quote above was taken from the SCYSA ODP website in a letter from the director of ODP.

Would that not indicate that the state association mandated to the coaches to have true A and B teams and that winning at Sub Regionals was the overall goal.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I can say for the 94 Boys it seemed like an opportunity for the coaches to take another look at the boys and continue the "try out process." There were kids moving to different positions and coaches moving players in and out of the game. The young man that played keeper on Saturday isn't even a true goalie. They could have easily won all three games.

T
TS Offline
goal kick
goal kick
T
Does anyone know if the teams you play at region camp are determined by the outcome of your sub region games?

TS #111763 01/13/09 03:59 PM
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
A little counsel... relax and enjoy the ODP experience. If the stress of your son or daughter making the state, region, or national team keeps you up at night or constantly telling your child to do this or do that... then your child will be just as stressed as you are. Speaking from a father that has a son in the system for the last 4 or 5 years... let the ODP system run and don't try to second guess it. If it is a bad system then the Academy or something else will put it out of business. Until then, it recognizes the cream that rises to the top on an off the pitch. They watch if little Johnny or Sally function without being under constant supervision of Dad or Mom. If the heat is too much in the kitchen, get out.
Mary Bynum, Van Taylor, and all the great college coaches of this state are doing the best they can and getting results. My hats off to all of them. We can discuss a lot of stuff on this board, but remember what you have your child in the ODP system for... and relax.

throw in
throw in
The sub-regional is advertised by SC ODP as the final try-out for the SC ODP teams which is different from at least some of the other states involved. I talked to some parents from VA who said that their teams were already formed and that they had four practices over the previous month or so. One would expect that a team practicing together should have the upper hand over a group of players placed together for a tryout.

It was pretty clear, in my opinion, that the SC 94 and 96 boys teams were A and B teams. I don’t know about the rest.

My 94 son found it to be a great experience whether he makes the final team or not. It gave him a chance to play the sport he loves with a diverse group of talented soccer players and make some new friends. The 94 SC1 boys team had three very close and exciting games which I enjoyed too. The chance to play with and against some of the top players in the southeast can only help a soccer player’s game. The 94 coaches are passionate about the game and it showed when they talk to the players. ODP is well worth the money in my opinion.

I
goal
goal
I
Last year the SC girls side did not do well versus the other teams or players. It would be wonderful if our state group would stop using this as the final try out and do the same thing others do. If the others, have try outs, make teams, then practice multiple times before the sub regional, so should SC.

The end result is not the only thing we should be worried about. Our girls need to show better than they do. If they do not, they will not be carried to the next level. Held over, whatever they call it.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Well said..Papa..It makes for an expensive tryout

goal
goal
why is it necessary for our "teams" to do well? no "teams" will make region or national pool, only individuals. now, don't get me wrong...i have always pulled for sc teams, and also for sc players, but when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter if your team does well or not, only that your child does well. true, region coaches are more likely to watch games of teams they know are better, but realistically, in general, an sc team is not going to be on that list. if your child is good enough, people will take notice. at region camp, either your child's coach or their region trainer will make it known to the right people.

4thekids and live&learn both seem satisfied with the experience, while RECCOS and cold&hard do not – you can’t make everybody happy. but, if you want to change how sc handles odp, you’re gonna have to do a lot more than complain on a bulletin board. there is a lot of work involved – you want to make a difference, volunteer to help.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
I agree with what you are saying. However; the only time it really matters is if our SC "team" does well at regionals and move on to the Region III championships (Like the 92 boys have). Then they get yet another opportunity to be seen.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
In all fairness to the ODP program..We have a boy that played two years in the program and I guess you can say we were "happy" or let's say it was rewarding so when it was our daughters turn and she has played the last two years and the program was something less than what our son experienced..Less practices and numerous coaches that had over committed themselves..I can only speak for two specific years and ages groups and genders..So we are not totally "unhappy" with the program overall but the girls side could use alittle love and consistancy

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

I don't need sub regional's, or regional's, to know SC is weaker than NC or GA - no matter what year it is!

Perhaps, but about this time last year the '91 girls knocked NC and GA out of the Region III Championships in Houston.

M
kick off
kick off
M
For those who question the talent of South Carolina's teams. The 96 boys (Team 1)had a very good showing. They had only one practice leading up to the sub-regional. There were parents from the other teams that question how long these boys had been together. Let truth be-known some of them don't know each other by name. The NC team that beat them 2-1 in a dogfight had been practicing together for weeks.

They finished 2-1

West Virginia (1) 8-0
Virginia (2) 3-0
North Carolina (1) 1-2

Brace
Brace
Right on regarding size of player pool. Even TN 1.5x SC.

Brace
Brace
SC94-1 better team but a few of ODP players from last year team on SC94-2. My take, 4-6 players should be switched from one to the other.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Import... are you referring to girls or boys?

throw in
throw in
I watched all the Boys SC94-1 games and most of the three SC94-2 games. My thoughts were that three could have moved up. The SC94-1 boys were very competitive, but the SC94-2 boys had a pretty rough tournament. I could be off by a goal or two on the exact scores, but I think the SC94-2s lost 0–4 to TN2, won 3-2 to WV, and lost 0-5 or worse to NC3.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Import... are you referring to girls or boys?

He was referring to boys.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

I watched all the Boys SC94-1 games and most of the three SC94-2 games. My thoughts were that three could have moved up. The SC94-1 boys were very competitive, but the SC94-2 boys had a pretty rough tournament. I could be off by a goal or two on the exact scores, but I think the SC94-2s lost 0–4 to TN2, won 3-2 to WV, and lost 0-5 or worse to NC3.

You are close enough in your scores. My son was on 94-1 last year and 94-2 this year. No idea why the change other than he missed the tryout due to injury and ended up going to the makeup tryout. Maybe that's it, maybe another reason that I don't know.

It was a tough weekend to watch.....

It is a tryout and it is individually focussed. But its still tough for kids who aren't used to being on teams that get manhandled so drastically....

They need to remember that this is about them...and not team. Which is absolutely counter to what we as parents and coaches try to drill into them all season long.

M
kick off
kick off
M
96 boys received their notification today. 13 picked for team one and everyone else in the pool. Good news for everyone in pool. Since they are taking two teams in this age group to Alabama, everyone in the pool will get to go. Congrats to all!

G
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
G
Are the '96 boys the only group to get word on teams?

throw in
throw in
We were told that the only notification would be via the SCYSA web site within 10 days. There is nothing on the site yet.

M
kick off
kick off
M
I think 96s might be a little different since everyone is at least on Team 2. It will probably be next week for others.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Quote:

I think 96s might be a little different since everyone is at least on Team 2. It will probably be next week for others.

So are you saying the 96's did not have a tryout - anyone who showed up made the team?

T
TS Offline
goal kick
goal kick
T
Is Mary Bynum in New Orleans with the boys team?

M
kick off
kick off
M
The 96 boys had a tryout and 13 players were named to Team 1 and the remaining players were pooled. 5 players from the pool will have a chance to make Team 1 and the remaining players will be Team 2. The plan is to take 2 teams to the regional camp.

A
bench
bench
A
Does anyone have any information on how the 94girls did?

TS #111786 01/16/09 03:53 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Is Mary Bynum in New Orleans with the boys team?

Anyone have a link to where the scores will be posted?(I have been looking but cann't find one)

I watched the these guys practice Wednesday night and they are something to watch!

B
throw in
throw in
B
There isn't anywhere on the net. I'm working on getting with someone who is down there. I'll start a thread to update the score if I can work it out. Game against NC starts at 2 (our time)

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Are you asking how they (94 girls) did last weekend in Gainesville GA?

B
throw in
throw in
B
Bad news. Final was 0-3.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Who is coaching the team in New Orleans? The new coach or the old coach? Just curious.

M
brace
brace
M
Neil, their very capable '07, '08 assistant coach has them is with the team. Their head coach, Sam Okpodu, has obligations this week at a national coaching conference in St. Louis.

They had three very good strikes that were just wide or over the goal during the match. I'm confident they'll pull it back together for the next two games.

M
brace
brace
M
Game #2 Final for SC ODP 92 vs OK: 1-1

The score was 0-0 at the half. SC scored first in the second half on a goal by DeMare and assist by Garbonzo. During the final couple of minutes a SC foul resulted in a free kick. As the ref. was backing the wall up the OK player took the shot before the restart whistle was blown. The shot went in and the goal was allowed. Go figure!

OK plays NC tomorrow and SC has a bye. They'll go into downtown N.O. and play again on Monday in position one, two or three.

M
brace
brace
M
Game #3 Final for SC ODP 92 vs FL: 1-2

Goal by Oliver Nobles with the assist by Hunter Wyer just before the half as Hunter served a ball into the box on a free kick.

I'm told we had our chances and had our bad calls in each game, but that's the hand we were dealt. It's a very disappointing result, but having watched these boys train for two years I'm not alone in saying what a talented group they are.

As a parent, I know each of them have enjoyed the experience with their coaches and with each other.

Great effort guys!

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Congrats to all the boys who participated for SC. It IS an honor to be at these games!

C
kick off
kick off
C
Nobels is the correct spelling

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard