Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Coach
Coach
C
AK listens much more than she speaks, and when she speaks, it's usually worth listening to.

If more people in leadership positions would do more listening and thinking and less talking just to be heard, perhaps threads like this wouldn't be necessary, hm?

Just one quote we were discussing in my class the other day that supports AK's position:

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've got good news and bad news...
B
goal
goal
B
So let's see if I understand this correctly, all that the lowcountry needs to do from a grassroots level is to get over the egos, form a club with a new name and different color scheme, and figure out how to deal with fields in the Mount Pleasant area, let the town handle rec and this new club handle the select, mix the board members and coaches and the lowcountry can be united......Good Luck!

corner kick
corner kick
Hey now, I never said it would be easy.

Be a little bit easier though if that darn magic wand I ordered from Ollivander's ever came. I sent the holding deposit, the shipping, my social security number and my fingerprints to be matched to a wand and nothing! Methinks something is rotten in the state of Diagon Alley.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
corner kick
corner kick
I was looking for any information on who actually owns PP, but all I could find was this quote from the CofC Athletics website:

"Patriots Point was completed in the fall of 2000 and was a collaborative effort between the College of Charleston, the Town of Mt. Pleasant, and the Patriots Point Development Authority"

Mike's post had me a little excited, but I can't find anything to the contrary of what's posted. Anyone else have any luck?

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
B
goal
goal
B
From what I remember from a few years ago, the Town has a long term operations and maintenance agreement which for the purposes of your question means they own them. CofC could be pushed off of the fields by the town.

R
bench
bench
R
The Town of Mt Pleasant owns it, lock, stock & barrel. From what i hear, they were also supposed to be building a shelter out there over the Christmas break, but that has not happened. That's par for the course.

corner kick
corner kick
That's what I thought.

C
bench
bench
C
Control of the PP Complex is overseen by the South Carolina Patriots Point Development Authority.

Patriots Point Development Authority
40 Patriots Point Rd, Mount Pleasant, SC
Tel: (843) 884-2727

From the 1998 Audit: Parcel Six will include a 35-acre athletic complex. The Authority entered into a lease in December 1996 with the College of Charleston for the complex which will consist of fields for baseball, softball, soccer , and nine tennis courts. Total rental payments to the Authority for this parcel are projected to be approximately $1.7 million through the year 2007. Of the three parcels (three, five, and six) under development, the rate of return on parcel six is the lowest .
REFERENCE: http://www.lac.sc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/A42A985C-1E74-4F4A-B607-AB4255628440/0/ppda_summary.pdf

The Patriots Point Development Authority is a State of South Carolina "enterprise agency" and is responsible for the operation of the naval and maritime museum. As an Enterprise Agency, the museum receives no appropriated funding from the state legislature . Primary sources of operating revenue are museum admissions, sales at the museum gift shop, educational programs such as the youth education and camping programs, and commissions from lease functions, on-site vending franchises and the Patriots Point Links. Additional income from landside leases has for some years been dedicated to a capital fund for maintenance of the historic museum ships and other capital projects at Patriots Point .

Overall governance of the Patriots Point Development Authority is vested in a Board of Directors appointed by the Governor of South Carolina with each member serving a term of four years. Selection of three members of the Board, including its chairman, is at the discretion of the governor. The two remaining appointed members are legislatively mandated, one to be appointed by joint recommendation of the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Speaker of the House and the other by joint recommendation of the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate. The Mayor of the Town of Mount Pleasant, as an ex-officio member, rounds out the Board as its sixth voting member. This Board meets regularly to approve strategic planning initiatives, revisions to development plans and contracts, long-term leases, etc.

The executive director, reporting to the Board of Directors and working closely with its chairman, is responsible for long-term planning and day-to-day management of the agency, including the museum and all of its ancillary services.

Here is the list of trustees:
http://www.patriotspoint.org/support/trustees/
Patriots Point Development Authority Members
Chairman: Mr. John B. Hagerty, Esquire
Vice Chairman: Mr. Wayne Adams
Member: Mr. Michael "Mike" Dixon
Member: Harry Gregorie
Member: Susan C. Marlowe
Ex-Officio Member: Mayor Harry M. Hallman, Jr.
Legal Counsel: Mr. William E. Craver, III, Esquire
Executive Director: Hugh Tant

College of Charleston is responsible for the Athletic Complex including security services such as patrolling which they do not do because of the distance to the college, Mt Pleasant police provides these services for them.

Last edited by cur le d'fhocal; 01/24/09 06:32 PM.
C
bench
bench
C
OK, MP Soccer Families, I don't see any town council representatives on the Patriots Point Development Authority except for the Mayor. Holding them accountable for the Mayor's influence over the execution of activities at PP doesn't float. The core of soccer is at PP in Mt P, therefore you can only hold ONE individual accountable and that's Mayor Hallman.

TOWN OF MOUNT PLEASANT
100 Ann Edwards Lane
Post Office Box 745
Mount Pleasant, SC 29465
MOUNT PLEASANT TOWN COUNCIL
Mayor Harry M. Hallman, Jr.
PO Box 745 (office)
1275 West Vagabond Lane (home)
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Term: 9/2004-9/2008
884-8517 (office)
884-8662 (home)

Mr. Joseph Bustos, Jr.
649 King Street
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
856-0027 (Term: 9/2004 – 9/2008)

Mr. Nick A. Collins
327 Wild Horse Lane
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
884-1538 (Term: 09/06 – 9/2010)

Mr. Paul S. Gawrych
1791 Cherokee Rose Circle
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
884-9581 (Term: 9/06 – 9/2010)

Mr. Billy Swails
1528 Carolina Jasmine Road
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
884-5149 (Term: 9/06 – 9/08)

Mr. Gary Santos
2798 Seastrand Drive
Mount Pleasant, SC 29466
884-4561 (Term: 9/2004 – 9/2008)

Mr. Kruger Smith
689 Pelzer Drive
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
884-2599 (Term: 9/2004 – 9/2008)

Ms. Thomasena Stokes-Marshall
813 Long Point Road
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
856-9732 (Term: 9/06 – 9/2010)

Mr. Kenneth T. Glasson, Jr.
2205 Hartfords Bluff Circle
Mount Pleasant, SC 29466
884-8517 (Term: 9/06 – 9/2010)

C
bench
bench
C
SUGGESTION:
1) Seperate MP Recreation Program from Club Program
2) Recreation Dept provides 'Academy' at PP and schedules activities there.
3) Club (U12-U18) leases Park West from town and schedules activities there.
4) DOC only manages 'Club Program' at PW
5) Rec Manager oversees 'Rec/Academy Program' at PP
6) Hire Brisson as DOC of Club, Brings in prestigious US Soccer Development Academy and gives them a home field.
(provides central development of Lowcountry soccer talent from MB to Savannah to Columbia). Keep calling it "Bridge" because that was the original intent. Avoids 'City' bias.

I'm non-biased but think this option makes the most sense at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by cur le d'fhocal; 01/24/09 06:58 PM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard