Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
bench
bench
B
Hurst,

Truer words were never written. The Midlands (or more specifically Columbia-area schools) are to High School soccer what Notre Dame is to collegiate athletics.

To illustrate this point, let’s use Lexington and North Augusta as examples because they are in the same region.

Last week, Lexington reentered the rankings at #14 with a 7-7 record. This included a 1-4 record against ranked teams (all classifications) and one loss to a rebuilding team with a losing record (Aiken). This week, the move up to #11 in the ranking after two wins over Orangeburg-Wilkinson and Richland Northeast (cumulative record 4-21). It should be noted that almost half their win total (4 of 9) came against these two schools. Hence, the quality win argument has little to no merit.

Conversely, North Augusta stands at 7-6 with a 3-3 record against ranked teams and all losses to teams with a win % of .560 or higher. This included a win over previously unbeaten Dutch Fork. Yet they are still conspicuously absent from the rankings. Geographically, North Augusta is located in the Midlands but RESPECT (i.e. Bias) obviously does not extend that far west. I suspect it stops at the Lexington County border.

To reiterate my Notre Dame analogy, it appears that the rankings are all style with no substance. Or more succinctly, to a large extent, it depends on who you are and not how you perform on the pitch. I’m not hating on Lexington, because all Columbia-area schools receive this same level of RESPECT (?). I’m just citing them as the most blatant example.

So which is it? Is Lexington ranked too high or is North Augusta being snubbed? Or a little of both? Personally, I think it’s a little of both.

To more accurately gauge the caliber of either team, you have to ask this question—which team would you rather play in the first round of the playoffs?

Wait, I just had an epiphany; Lexington is ranked because they beat North Augusta. The rankings in their current format are a joke; and not a very funny one at that. Teams should be ranked based on their current accomplishments, not their reputation. That does not appear to be the case.

world cup
world cup
BuzzKill,

My buzz got killed tonight when Spring Valley put the hammer down on Dutch Fork.

I'm totally baffled now. SV > DF > TLH

I am glad to see that Lexington is finishing strong and I'm very interested in seeing the outcome of the Irmo - North Augusta match.

Glad we are not NCAA D1 football. We would never be able to figure out who finishes third after Wando and Mauldin (I'd vote for Dorman).

It will all play out in the second and third week of May.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
world cup
world cup
March 27

Spring Valley vs. Rock Hill

Need a score posted if this game has already been played.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Brace
Brace
Hurst,

This game is being made up tomorrow, Mon, 5/4 @ Rock Hill.

world cup
world cup
Import,

If Rock Hill wins, they get the fourth seed and make the state play-offs. Spring Valley would finish second behind Ridge View and Blythewood gets the third spot. Pretty simple.

If Spring Valley wins, SV and RV are tied for first and RH and Lancaster are tied for fourth.

Any idea who holds the advantage in the tie breaker?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Import,

Any idea who holds the advantage in the tie breaker?

Yup! I've got an idea...

tk

Tony King
Brace
Brace
Hurst,

RH holds a four goal (goals against) lead over Lancaster. That means RH can lose no worse then 3-0 to grab 4th playoff spot.

SV holds a four goal lead over Ridge View.

world cup
world cup
Wow. This is going to be interesting, right down to the wire. Rock Hill needs to scratch and claw and keep the margin below three. Spring Valley is only at +4 and needs to increase that margin significantly with Ridge View waiting to see how many they need to score against South Pointe the following night.

5/4 - Spring Valley vs. Rock Hill
5/5 - Ridge View vs. South Pointe

Lancaster will know their fate by 9 PM this evening.

L
bench
bench
L
I'm not understanding how SV is ahead of RV with "goals for", as these are the Region Scores:

Spring Valley

1 – 0 W against Blythewood
1 – 2 L to Ridge View
8 – 0 W against South Pointe
2 – 0 W against Lancaster
1 – 0 W against Blythewood
1 – 0 W against Ridge View
9 – 0 W against South Pointe
3 – 0 W against Rock Hill
3 – 0 W against Lancaster

29 goals for – 2 against (with Rock Hill left, 3-0 win last time)

Ridge View
5 – 2 W against Rock Hill
2 – 1 W against Spring Valley
8 – 0 W against Lancaster
3 – 1 W against Blythewood
4 – 0 W against Rock Hill
0 – 1 L against Spring Valley
2 – 0 W against Lancaster
7 – 0 W against South Pointe
2 – 1 W against Blythewood

33 goals for – 6 against(with South Pointe left, 7-0 win last time)

..now are we going by goals for or goals against?

world cup
world cup
Rock Hill can certainly put their arms up in front of their face and cover their head.......but South Pointe is virtually defenseless.

This could get ugly.

I wish there was a better way to decide who gets seeded #1 in this region.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard