throw in
After a quick look at 4A Girls

Summerville, Irmo and Spring Valley too high and TL Hanna and Ft Mill too low

Nothing is Impossible
world cup
world cup
John & Frank,

That's a pretty good observation.

Remember though, Spring Valley should run the table in their region so that is worth 10 wins and a number one seed in the state play-offs.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
corner kick
corner kick
SV is playing a strong non-region schedule: Irmo, Lex,DF, Byrnes and W Florence

Tomorrow...is too late.
C
kick off
kick off
C
Swansea? Are they to that good or is there no other?

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Swansea? Are they to that good or is there no other?

Good question!

Swansea is in Region 5 with Airport #6, South Aiken, #7, Brookland-Cayce #8, and Dreher #10 (Go Midlands!). If you go by rankings, they should lose and would be out of the playoffs with the 8 region losses. It would be hard to keep the ranking with those two factors going against you, but that doesn't take away from Swansea being a quality team.

Maybe TR, AC Flora, Blue Ridge, BHP, or NMB will make an extended visit to the top 15.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Hey Dale,
I can't believe we are both #7.

I demand to have mine changed to 07!

World Cup
World Cup
No way! You are definitely the Robbie Gordon on Girls Soccer!

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
them's fightin' words!

I would never wreck the leader so that I can stay just one lap down...the absolute worst driver in NASCAR with that frankenstein forehead.

and don't even get me started with title sponsors!

World Cup
World Cup
Ha! JB > JD any day of the week my friend!

You remember when he threw the roll bar cushion out the window to get a debris caution? Takes major cojones to pull that one off

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I would definitely like to say we are that good. But, I will not. Furthermore, Polls or rankings are like opinions. An opinion and a $1 bill will still get you a coke out of a machine. It is nice to be respected. We have a lot of work to do in a tough region! It is kind of like being in the SEC with Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc... every week is a tough week! Also, it is nice to still be the underdog.

world cup
world cup
New rankings for this week are out.

In 4A, Mauldin moves to the top while Spartanburg and Fort Mill each jump up two spots.

In 3A, Blue Ridge makes an over-due appearance.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
JL Mann #1, Riverside #2.

They play each other Thursday. I would love to see it. It's hard for me to imagine Riverside being the 'underdog'. I will be very impressed if JL Mann is still #1 after this week.

brace
brace
Quote:

JL Mann #1, Riverside #2.

They play each other Thursday. I would love to see it. It's hard for me to imagine Riverside being the 'underdog'. I will be very impressed if JL Mann is still #1 after this week.

Riverside is super, but Mann has a solid defense and Rae Wilson. Maybe the deciding factor will be the 5th penalty kick in last year's playoff that was missed last year and the determination of the young lady who missed it. Bet if it comes to that this year she makes it.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
A
bench
bench
A
Ouch! That gimme goal the Wando defense gave up at Viking Cup really hurt! Nice read by the Eastside forward that jumped all over it.

Good job by Mauldin with a 3-0 score against Eastside. I thought Eastside's defense looked really good at VC.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
I was just taking a look at Wando's roster. Only three seniors listed. Some teams better get Wando this year because they should be even stronger next season. Just my two cents.

P
bench
bench
P
Irmo isnt to high in the ranks, i see them going far this year.

L
bench
bench
L
Load and reload every year a coach's dream school.

R
bench
bench
R
how about woodmont?? what think about them??

world cup
world cup
Week #4 rankings are out.

Big jump for Wren in 4A, plus three newcomers to the poll.

K
bench
bench
K
i agree with the tough region. region 5 is one of the hardest around. and plus they have dirty players

K
bench
bench
K
I would love to see a J.L Mann - S. Aiken match-up or a Riverside - S. Aiken match-up. In my opinion (and I have absolutely no affiliation with any of these schools), S. Aiken would give them fits. I still don't think they've played their best game yet this season. I guess we'll have to wait until playoffs.

brace
brace
Quote:

I would love to see a J.L Mann - S. Aiken match-up or a Riverside - S. Aiken match-up. In my opinion (and I have absolutely no affiliation with any of these schools), S. Aiken would give them fits. I still don't think they've played their best game yet this season. I guess we'll have to wait until playoffs.

Maybe State Championships with a school from Greenville?

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
S
coach
coach
S
Well, I'm officially depressed...

From memory, this is the first time since the pre-season of 2005 that Lexington hasn't been ranked.

The team has had a really tough schedule...best of luck to them in the remainder of the season.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
Hey, what's going on down in Beaufort? They are 5-0 with wins over James Island and Stratford?

P
bench
bench
P
Quote:

i agree with the tough region. region 5 is one of the hardest around. and plus they have dirty players

Who are all the dirty players? every region has dirty players i'm sure, but region 5 has the best athletes hands down

world cup
world cup
New rankings are out.

In 4A, two draws and a loss good enough to promote Ridge View over Fort Mill.

Currently, three teams from R4 are ranked, while only one team from R3 is ranked. These two regions are matched against eachother in the first round of the state play-offs. Very interesting.

corner kick
corner kick
Last Week
Airport #5, Chapin #6

Airport beats Chapin

This Week
Airport #6, Chapin #5

Holy Crap!

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
world cup
world cup
Irmo, Ridge View and Spring Valley all played three games each in a tournament this weekend. That's nine games total.

Do you know how many games they won? None.

Yet two of the teams actually moved UP in the poll while the other one held their ground.

Everyone raves about Region 2 (Mauldin, Dorman, Sparty, etc.)....but nobody gets RESPECT like the midlands!

B
bench
bench
B
Hurst,

Truer words were never written. The Midlands (or more specifically Columbia-area schools) are to High School soccer what Notre Dame is to collegiate athletics.

To illustrate this point, let’s use Lexington and North Augusta as examples because they are in the same region.

Last week, Lexington reentered the rankings at #14 with a 7-7 record. This included a 1-4 record against ranked teams (all classifications) and one loss to a rebuilding team with a losing record (Aiken). This week, the move up to #11 in the ranking after two wins over Orangeburg-Wilkinson and Richland Northeast (cumulative record 4-21). It should be noted that almost half their win total (4 of 9) came against these two schools. Hence, the quality win argument has little to no merit.

Conversely, North Augusta stands at 7-6 with a 3-3 record against ranked teams and all losses to teams with a win % of .560 or higher. This included a win over previously unbeaten Dutch Fork. Yet they are still conspicuously absent from the rankings. Geographically, North Augusta is located in the Midlands but RESPECT (i.e. Bias) obviously does not extend that far west. I suspect it stops at the Lexington County border.

To reiterate my Notre Dame analogy, it appears that the rankings are all style with no substance. Or more succinctly, to a large extent, it depends on who you are and not how you perform on the pitch. I’m not hating on Lexington, because all Columbia-area schools receive this same level of RESPECT (?). I’m just citing them as the most blatant example.

So which is it? Is Lexington ranked too high or is North Augusta being snubbed? Or a little of both? Personally, I think it’s a little of both.

To more accurately gauge the caliber of either team, you have to ask this question—which team would you rather play in the first round of the playoffs?

Wait, I just had an epiphany; Lexington is ranked because they beat North Augusta. The rankings in their current format are a joke; and not a very funny one at that. Teams should be ranked based on their current accomplishments, not their reputation. That does not appear to be the case.

world cup
world cup
BuzzKill,

My buzz got killed tonight when Spring Valley put the hammer down on Dutch Fork.

I'm totally baffled now. SV > DF > TLH

I am glad to see that Lexington is finishing strong and I'm very interested in seeing the outcome of the Irmo - North Augusta match.

Glad we are not NCAA D1 football. We would never be able to figure out who finishes third after Wando and Mauldin (I'd vote for Dorman).

It will all play out in the second and third week of May.

world cup
world cup
March 27

Spring Valley vs. Rock Hill

Need a score posted if this game has already been played.

Brace
Brace
Hurst,

This game is being made up tomorrow, Mon, 5/4 @ Rock Hill.

world cup
world cup
Import,

If Rock Hill wins, they get the fourth seed and make the state play-offs. Spring Valley would finish second behind Ridge View and Blythewood gets the third spot. Pretty simple.

If Spring Valley wins, SV and RV are tied for first and RH and Lancaster are tied for fourth.

Any idea who holds the advantage in the tie breaker?

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Quote:

Import,

Any idea who holds the advantage in the tie breaker?

Yup! I've got an idea...

tk

Tony King
Brace
Brace
Hurst,

RH holds a four goal (goals against) lead over Lancaster. That means RH can lose no worse then 3-0 to grab 4th playoff spot.

SV holds a four goal lead over Ridge View.

world cup
world cup
Wow. This is going to be interesting, right down to the wire. Rock Hill needs to scratch and claw and keep the margin below three. Spring Valley is only at +4 and needs to increase that margin significantly with Ridge View waiting to see how many they need to score against South Pointe the following night.

5/4 - Spring Valley vs. Rock Hill
5/5 - Ridge View vs. South Pointe

Lancaster will know their fate by 9 PM this evening.

L
bench
bench
L
I'm not understanding how SV is ahead of RV with "goals for", as these are the Region Scores:

Spring Valley

1 – 0 W against Blythewood
1 – 2 L to Ridge View
8 – 0 W against South Pointe
2 – 0 W against Lancaster
1 – 0 W against Blythewood
1 – 0 W against Ridge View
9 – 0 W against South Pointe
3 – 0 W against Rock Hill
3 – 0 W against Lancaster

29 goals for – 2 against (with Rock Hill left, 3-0 win last time)

Ridge View
5 – 2 W against Rock Hill
2 – 1 W against Spring Valley
8 – 0 W against Lancaster
3 – 1 W against Blythewood
4 – 0 W against Rock Hill
0 – 1 L against Spring Valley
2 – 0 W against Lancaster
7 – 0 W against South Pointe
2 – 1 W against Blythewood

33 goals for – 6 against(with South Pointe left, 7-0 win last time)

..now are we going by goals for or goals against?

world cup
world cup
Rock Hill can certainly put their arms up in front of their face and cover their head.......but South Pointe is virtually defenseless.

This could get ugly.

I wish there was a better way to decide who gets seeded #1 in this region.

B
bench
bench
B
Lexington went 0-2 last week to move to 9-9 and maintain their ranking at #11. At this rate, with one more loss they should vault into the top ten and with two more losses they may displace Wando at the top. For the record: Only four of nine victories came against teams with a winning record and they are currently 2-6 against ranked teams. That is the ultimate RESPECT!!

The formula (stifling a laugh) used in determining the rankings makes the BCS look like a panacea.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Lexington's two losses last week were both on PKs to the #3 and #6 teams in AAAA. This means they were tied after regulation and OT against both of these teams. It's my understanding that games decided by PKs are considered ties for the purpose of the rankings. If the #11 team ties both the #3 and #6 teams, why wouldn't they at least hold their own in the rankings?

world cup
world cup
Looks like Blythewood is now the underdog in their first-round state paly off match.

Right where you want to be T Stump.....should be a good one.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Yes sir, I agree it should be a really good/interesting matchup.

Tony King
world cup
world cup
Stinks that we all play on the same day.

I think the Clover-Blythewood match is going to be a great one.

I'd love to be able to see it.

W
throw in
throw in
W
Any players to watch on Ft. Mill team? Not to assume a win, but Boiling Springs plays too physical and will be beat by touch and speed by Wren, unless the weather is a factor.

world cup
world cup
wheet,

Boiling Springs?

Are you in the right forum?

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
We played Blythewood in the Irmo tournament and they are a quality side...sounds like Clover is the real deal with the 3-0 win.

Quote:

Stinks that we all play on the same day.

I think the Clover-Blythewood match is going to be a great one.

I'd love to be able to see it.

world cup
world cup
CJ,

Clover was a preseason pick to win Region 3 4A. When they get it going they are a very good team.

Sorry I can't make it down for the match Wednesday night, I'll be busy. How about lunch in A-Town on Thursday? We'll exchange war stories. I'll let you buy.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Now how can I resist a deal like that! Call me when you get into town.

Quote:

CJ,

Clover was a preseason pick to win Region 3 4A. When they get it going they are a very good team.

Sorry I can't make it down for the match Wednesday night, I'll be busy. How about lunch in A-Town on Thursday? We'll exchange war stories. I'll let you buy.

world cup
world cup
Sounds good.

PM me your cell phone number and the time of your free period (lunch) on Thursday.

world cup
world cup
New rankings are out.

The top three teams in 4A have lost a total of one match to South Carolina opponents.

Congratulations to Spartanburg for being the only team to take one of these squads down.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard