Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
corner kick
corner kick
Fort Mill varsity 4
Fort Mill alumni 0

Several former college players on the alumni, nobody older than class of 2004. A good practice match for the varsity. Nobody injured, thankfully.

Doin' it the hard way...
corner kick
corner kick
I spose I should put up a small recap of the Wando vs Alumni game.

Varsity won 2-1 and rumours of a Wando demise have been greatly exaggerated. They are, as usual, still very good.

I noticed less of a passing pattern than back when I played; they seemed to try more long runs down the side that were a little more easily defended than a usual thread the ball game play.

First goal was a beautiful strike from--I think--outside the 18 that just curved in above the alumni keeper's head. Second, if I remember correctly, was knocked in from the back post off a cross or corner.

Alumni goal was off of a beautiful cross at an open back post as well.

The team seemed a little weak defensively as we got a lot of runs down the field on them and if you'd replaced old and/or gimpy alumni with a good, in-shape striker, the score could very well have been different. They were also a little slow to cover passing lanes in some instances.

Otherwise, the girls were very aggressive on 50/50 balls and even if they hadn't been playing out of shape alumni, I imagine they'd win a large percentage of them out of the air anyway. They've got the look to pass still and are a definite threat outside the box and on corner kicks; every corner they took was well placed and well struck.

Their bench was also very strong and if Coach Champ subs even half as much as she did during this scrimmage, they'll easily endure any game without losing momentum with subbing.

It was also ridiculously frigid that night and it was, of course, a scrimmage against a lot of people who haven't played in years, but it was fun.

PS. It is very disturbing to think of the Class of 2008 as alumni. I'm getting older =\.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Dale, you didn't bump into any players and cause a big pileup did you?

Only the ones that deserved it

brace
brace
CJ, let me pull that dagger out of your back! (i.e., can't travel to scrimmage us but can go to Wando, etc.). Note to self: don't tick this guy off.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
corner kick
corner kick

I heard Eastside beat Byrnes 6-1. Anyone got details?

Only time will tell
F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Westside 1
Christ Church 1

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Westside 1
Christ Church 1

You forgot to put AA/A #6 beside their name

brace
brace
Maybe Westside should be on the radar - sweet! Christ Church is well coached, plays solid soccer, is ranked, and basically does it right.

Nice job Westside (and Christ Church)!

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard