Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
As reported in today's Rock Hill Herald:

WOMEN'S SOCCER -- Coach Melissa Heinz has signed 11 players for the 2009 fall season. The coach brought in only forwards last year. This year's recruiting class is made up of six midfielders, two forwards, two defenders and a goalkeeper.

"I have never been more sure of a group of ladies to come help build our program up to the top and take us to a conference championship. I am excited to see how each of them compete on the field and achieve high off the field," Heinz said.

The 2009 women's soccer recruiting class are: Midfielders Kylie Long (Alpharetta, Ga.); Kylene Babauta (Colorado Springs, Colo.); Devon Mellichamp (Columbia); Ariel Kunde (Mesa, Ariz.); Allie Vandewater (Noblesville, Ind.); and Kathryn Leach (Alpharetta, Ga.); forwards Sydney Ransom (Concord, N.C.); and Gabrielle Corn (Cincinnati); defenders Daria Borowski (Germantown, Md.); and Becca Hamm (Cincinnati); and goalkeepers Sarah Schippers (Solon, Ohio)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Where is Devon Mellichamp (Columbia) from? What HS/club?

Brace
Brace
I was going to ask where are the SC players? From watching Winthrop the last 4 yrs, there are def some SC girls up to playing on that team.

V
kick off
kick off
V
Devon plays at Ridge View HS. She has played for Cola United in the past and most recently at Lexington.

D
kick off
kick off
D
HAving a child involved in South Carolina Soccer, I understand the statement....it is very interesting I heard at sub regionals coaches talking how weak the South Carolina pool is and how hard it is to keep SC kids in state. Most of the best players committed to LSU, Kentucky and others.

And besides Winthorp needs to recruit above the players they have and those are not in South Carolina, and if they are in SC they have committed to bigger schools.

Cause what I know about Coach Heinz is that she is trying to be competitive with the top programs...

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
There are many players in SC that could help the women's and men's program at Winthrop. Not as many with the men, but there are so many that would start for the women's program. I saw them play twice last year, and there are girls from all over the state that would help that program win.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Let's take a closer look at the challenges that Winthrop faces in recruiting for the women's team. As others have expressed, I would also like to see more South Carolina players on the Lady Eagles roster.

But......how many solid D1 players does the Palmetto State produce each year?

Dadof#2 mentions two players heading to LSU and Kentucky. Both of these players live in Winthrop's backyard (York County) but how does the Winthrop coach out-recruit LSU and Kentucky? Not only are both of these schools in the SEC, but both of the players being recruited probably want to go to college further than five miles from their home (only a guess).

Where is Winthrop at in the Palmetto State pecking order?

Definitely behind USC, Clemson, Furman and College of Charleston. Coastal Carolina has been consistently stronger than Winthrop in the Big South over the past five years. Wofford plays in a better conference and has a better academic reputation. Francis Marion has gotten the better of all Big South opponents in the past few years. Even Charleston Southern has now become Winthrop's equal in the BSC.

What South Carolina High School girls do you want Winthrop to recruit after USC, CU, FU, CofC, CCU, WU, FMU and CSU have had their pick of the litter? What's left? Can you expect Winthrop to compete for the Big South Championship by relying on what's left in the South Carolina talent pool? Is there enough to go around?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
bench
bench
C
I think CCU may have a slight advantage over Winthrop by having a football program. Not a big one for sure but besides the beach, may be a factor. CCU seems to be getting kids from OH which is a pretty good soccer area. Once you get a few more are sure to follow once they get over the distance factor.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
coastal ball,

Winthrop's leading scorer in 2006 & 2007 is from Ohio, does that mean a pipeline should be established from Rock Hill to the Buckeye state? Out-of-state recruiting has never been a problem for Winthrop as they have attracted players from Kansas, Utah, Japan and Australia.

C
bench
bench
C
Hurst,

Did not write my comment well....sorry. Meant to opine that having a football program at CCU may give them an edge over Winthrop as kids pick a school.

As for a Buckeye pipeline...only if its the other football.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard