Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Quote:

My question is why the SCHSL would have any reason to have a say in how any sponsored invitational tournament determines its champion. Total win/loss records, including tournament matches, can be used as region tiebreakers for playoff spots, but tournament championships mean nothing except in the tournament itself. Sounds like micromanaging for no good reason.

I will tell you exactly why they have done this. Some folks use a "tournament" to get extra regular season games in. I will give you an example. I coach middle school basketball in a very good local league with schools that feed Easley, Hanna, Westside, Seneca, Daniel, Pickens, and Wren. We have 9 middle schools but we are only allowed 14 regular season games. That makes for an uneven regular season schedule. One year Roger Hazel allowed us to play 16 regular contest and only one tournament but Jerome didn't like that and we are not allowed to do it anymore. So this year we had the bright idea to use our Chistmas Tournament as a day of playing the teams that we only played once. However, there would not be a champion if we did that and it would not be a true tournament. There is no way the high school league will let us do that.

Now do you see why they define a tournament that way? It keeps schools from going around the rules.

goal kick
goal kick
2/23
@ Brooland-Cayce: 2
Ben Lippen: 1

Excellent scrimmage between two evenly matched teams. BC has an excellent and young team this season! We were missing two starters but had all of our girls step up in a big way. Came out flat and gave up an early goal. We fought back and held our own and really played a great second half. I don't have the stats with me, so I'm not sure who scored the goals for BC, but they were very nice shots and well played. The second goal was a beauty! Ben Lippen goal scored by Sammi Osman in the 2nd half on a direct kick after a hard foul. Physical and fun scrimmage. Best wishes to the BC squad on their season! I'm proud of the hard work my girls continue to put forth! They showed that they can recover from a slow start and played a great game against a very good team.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

May I ask, is there something wrong with a point system? I know that there are other tournaments, that still use a point system I believe.

We were told that it is OK to use a points system to determine the top 2 teams, but those top 2 teams must then play a final match to determine the champion.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Hm...that makes sense, CJ...sounds like they're just trying to make sure the INTENT is to declare a champion, not just play for the sake of playing.

I've got good news and bad news...
D
Goal
Goal
D
Byrnes 1
Eastside 6

Goal
Goal
We were told that it is OK to use a points system to determine the top 2 teams, but those top 2 teams must then play a final match to determine the champion.

Will they play 2 matches in a day or three? If three, I didn't think they could do that??? Can someone clarify.

Victory Starts Here!
bench
bench
I can understand some think a point system is not as good a method to determine a tournament champion and causes confusion. Still, a local sponsored tournament should be able to use whatever system ( as long as approved by SCHSL ) that they want. For smaller tournaments, I can see where the point system works to decide a champion. Now if it were an 8 team tournament or somethin on that scale, then a point system would be used to make a "Championship Round." Is there a maximum number of days a tournament can last? Or limit to how many times a team plays?

CJ Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Quote:

Byrnes 1
Eastside 6

I knew Andy had it going on, but wow.

brace
brace
Quote:

Ahhhhhhh Chass, the only one who understands me...

As a semi intelligent man, I too understand you but can rarely resist the chance to gig.... When I do that at home my teenagers almost always say "That's not funny" followed by my thought to myself that it really was.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Coach
C
Tournaments can be played over a maximum of ten consecutive days; for soccer, teams are limited to a maximum of two games per day, with a minimum of one hour of rest in between.

I've got good news and bad news...
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard