Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
If anything, the cancellation of the remaining games in the Viking Cup and the Greenwave Cup (the latter to a lesser extent) has left us all a bit more interested in where some teams stand to start the season. Without the rigors of a top level tournament to weed out early contenders from possible pretenders; final scrimmages and early season matches may gain a bit more attention. For 2009 there is no VC curse to overcome, nor crown to be defended. There is only the upcoming season, and all the twists and turns it holds.

To the games:

Tuesday - 3/3

South Aiken vs North Augusta
CRSA dominance will be on the line again, and for the first time since 1994, these teams are in different classifications. Each is looking to make a mark with strong squads in 09.

Wednesday - 3/4

Eastside vs Boiling Springs
Eastside looks to be one of the top 3 in the upper state in AAA (Riverside and Mann the others). Boiling Springs continues to improve. Could be interesting...

JL Mann vs Byrnes
Someone said Rae Wilson had ALL 4 goals! In a Viking Cup match!! A SHORTENED match!!! Wow is the only word for the senior Patriot's performance. Byrnes was all the rage in the early part of 08, so how will 09 start off?

Thursday 3-5

Aiken vs Blythewood
Ron has the Lady Hornets buzzing again. I remember a few years back, Claire Joyce and Upperstate title game. Could Aiken be in the mix come mid May? Blythewood stumbled against Lexington, but look for a strong showing from the girls this week.

Chapin vs Lexington
Attention to the state, rumors of Lexington's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Another strong match-up between teams that won't see each other come playoff time!

Friday - 3/6

Dorman vs Fort Mill
Two teams that know how to play soccer and get the win. How many 1 goal wins have these two squads notched in the last five years? Good pre-season matchup between teams who are used to the 3rd round and beyond come May.

C
Brace
Brace
C
Tuesday--agreed S.A. vs N.A. should be a premier match up.
I also like the Swansea/Blythewood game.

Wednesday--Look for a close one in the Barnwell and Irmo scrimmage.

Thursday and Friday--good scrimmages and even nicer weather! (if their predictions hold)

R
throw in
throw in
R
"Wednesday--Look for a close one in the Barnwell and Irmo scrimmage."

ONLY if Irmo wants it to be close!!!! This isn't Strom Thurmond, Colleton County, or Pelion.

Last edited by Ruler of the Pitch; 03/03/09 06:38 PM.
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

ONLY if Irmo wants it to be close!!!! This isn't Strom Thurmond, Colleton County, or Pelion.

Relax 24/7 Soccer. Take it easy on the little guys...

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I guess the supporters of Goliath said the same thing!!

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Gonna be a good experience for the girls from Barnwell to play a team with that talent. Hopefully it'll pay off in the long run.

I
goal
goal
I
Some small schools like Woodruff have had a play anybody, anytime attitude for years. It does pay off.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

"Wednesday--Look for a close one in the Barnwell and Irmo scrimmage."

Or Ben Lippen? The Warhorses defeated the Falcons who have scrimmage victories over 4A Ridge View and RNE as well as 3A AC Flora.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Some small schools like Woodruff have had a play anybody, anytime attitude for years. It does pay off.

2/27/09 - Waccamaw 2-0 Dorman

R
throw in
throw in
R
Dale,

I am learning from you how easy it is to get things started with just a few words... You should be proud!!!

Go Barnwell!!!!

goal kick
goal kick
Barnwell has the talent to compete with anybody. I was very impressed by their athleticism and heart. They play hard and don't give up on any ball. They have a very talented young forward with a good bit of speed and finishing ability. Michael Allen is doing a great job down there! I believe they will only continue to improve.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Dale,

I am learning from you how easy it is to get things started with just a few words... You should be proud!!!

Go Barnwell!!!!

Do as I should do if I was a little more intelligent, not as I do

I want to meet you when we come up to play Keith and Company!

brace
brace
North Augusta - South Aiken?

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
S
Throw In
Throw In
S
Quote:

JL Mann vs Byrnes
Someone said Rae Wilson had ALL 4 goals! In a Viking Cup match!! A SHORTENED match!!! Wow is the only word for the senior Patriot's performance. Byrnes was all the rage in the early part of 08, so how will 09 start off?

I watched the entire JL Mann game Friday night. Rae turned in another incredible showing. Her first three goals were during regular play, while her 4th goal was a PK. She has a very good supporting cast. I think that Mann will be a force to be reckoned with and that Rae will have a banner year.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

North Augusta - South Aiken?

0-0 in 60 minutes

The ball sat at the center field and didn't move the entire match. Both teams were too frozen to kick it.

brace
brace
Did you agree to that so no one would know how good both of you are going to be?

World Cup
World Cup
That's crazy talk. The sheer notion that Hank and I did not want to show our hand because we are playing each other for a match later on in the year is ludicrous. Ludicrous...

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Blythewood-3
Swansea-1

Very cold night in Blythewood! I asked TK for a heated coaches box. He said it was over there behind the hedges... next thing you know it was 3-1. Nice job whipping our behinds.

brace
brace
Quote:

That's crazy talk. The sheer notion that Hank and I did not want to show our hand because we are playing each other for a match later on in the year is ludicrous. Ludicrous...

I get it! Wink! Wink!

corner kick
corner kick
DF 1 AC Flora 0

Tomorrow...is too late.
D
Goal
Goal
D
Boiling Springs 0
Eastside 8

goal kick
goal kick
How does AC Flora look this year? They must be pretty good to keep that score with Dutch Fork..

corner kick
corner kick
Delta Dog
Eastside is playing very well, despite graduating several good players last year. You want to give up a few secrets? We don't play y'all for a while.

Last edited by Mavs Soccer Dad; 03/05/09 04:04 AM.

Only time will tell
throw in
throw in
SWeeper2 maybe DF is not as good as you think.

Nothing is Impossible
world cup
world cup
DF is very good. Right now (and it's early), they might not be clicking in the final third as well as some 3A teams from the Greenville area.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Irmo 6 - 0 Barnwell

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Delta Dog
Eastside is playing very well, despite graduating several good players last year. You want to give up a few secrets? We don't play y'all for a while.

Yeah, I don't think they play until way off next Tuesday. They've probably just run into some young teams early that are rebuilding from greater losses due to graduation. If I were Mauldin I'd give as many starters as possible next Tuesday off to rest up for league play.

R
throw in
throw in
R
"ONLY if Irmo wants it to be close!!!! This isn't Strom Thurmond, Colleton County, or Pelion."

Guess Irmo didn't want it to be!! Any info on the Barnwell/Irmo scrimmage?

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
4A versus 2A

2100 vs. 760

The scrimmage was played with 3 30's which allowed Mike and I to make changes after each period. We both were trying to find holes to fill and spots for people we are not sure about yet. All in all, it was a scrimmage and it was treated as one.

Irmo's Speed of Play was much better than our speed of play therefore they were able to take advantage of every opportunity.

However, this scrimmage allowed us to see our weaknesses a little bit more to prepare for the 2A schedule!

There is a reason they divide schools into divisions!

hat-trick
hat-trick
I think Barnwell will be very competitive in 2A. To me they appeared to be a good side that came up against a level of pressure and speed of play that was higher than they were used to seeing. I have no doubt that they will learn and improve.

The Barnwell girls are a great bunch of kids. We had an injury that required our player to be carried off the field and to the car after the match. 8-10 Barnwell players came to check on her after the match. Class!

C
kick off
kick off
C
How is she? Any word yet?

C
Brace
Brace
C
Quote:

"ONLY if Irmo wants it to be close!!!! This isn't Strom Thurmond, Colleton County, or Pelion."

Guess Irmo didn't want it to be!! Any info on the Barnwell/Irmo scrimmage?

That 24/7 guy is almost always correct. Good call as I stand corrected.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

How is she? Any word yet?

She's going to see the doctor this afternoon. Hopefully we'll hear something positive after that.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Please keep us in Barnwell posted....It didnt look serious but she was in a lot of pain..

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Barnwell still is a very good team. When we played their club team at their place we only won 1-0 last year and then beat them by much more (like Irmo) the next time away from their home field. They are one of the top teams with out a doubt on their home field. It is tough traveling distances (from Barnwell) with young ladies. Sometimes it is very difficult to motivate them-especially for a scrimmage. Michael will get them right when the regular season starts.

C
kick off
kick off
C
I think you meant 2 years ago...or were you not speaking of u-16?

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Any score for JL Mann vs Byrnes?

C
bench
bench
C
We showed all we had. SA may not ever lose again. They are very talented.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I think of it in terms of school years. We are still in 08-09 school year. Last year was 07-08. But, yes it was not U-16, but rather U-15. Sorry, it still does not change the fact you will probably whip us this year. You all have those studs, no pun intended... you know warhorses and all.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

Wow. Now that is a jump bar.... Ever is a four letter word...Maybe that's why CJ wouldn't scrimmage you.
Are you on restriction again or are you just leaving your box full so no one can give you grief

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 03/05/09 06:50 PM.

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
You just don't say someone may not "ever" lose again.

If you take out the "ever" and simply write:

"South Aiken may not lose again. They are very talented."

Then you have a phrase that is slightly less ridiculous, but still a major bullseye on a team/coach.

Better to just write:

"We showed all we had. SA is very talented."

This abrogated phrasing of your post allows you to heap praise on South Aiken, while also hinting that North Augusta is a strong team. There is nothing tongue in cheek about such wording either.

brace
brace
Perfectly and eloquently stated. How about: "We showed all we had. SA is very talented. Their coach is a good race car driver."

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 03/05/09 10:43 PM.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Perfectly and eloquently stated. How about: "We showed all we had. SA is very talented. Their coach is a good race car driver."

I waited patiently, hoping, praying, sensing you two would eventually come to the perfect statement. Alas, it has arrived. Coming out of turn four, watch for me...and Vickers.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

4A versus 2A

2100 vs. 760

The scrimmage was played with 3 30's which allowed Mike and I to make changes after each period. We both were trying to find holes to fill and spots for people we are not sure about yet. All in all, it was a scrimmage and it was treated as one.

Irmo's Speed of Play was much better than our speed of play therefore they were able to take advantage of every opportunity.

However, this scrimmage allowed us to see our weaknesses a little bit more to prepare for the 2A schedule!

There is a reason they divide schools into divisions!

The JV score is pretty impressive. Post it, Mike.

world cup
world cup
You and Vickers?

Doesn't she play for Irmo, or Dutch Fork or Lexington? I didn't think she was at South Aiken.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
bench
bench
C
Didn't intend to offend anyone. Point well taken. South Aiken is very talented and well coached.

H
brace
brace
H
Scrimmages of interest only to their parents:

Rock Hill-6
York-1

hat-trick
hat-trick
Anyone have results on the Blythewood-Aiken or Chapin-Lexington scrimmages?

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Didn't intend to offend anyone. Point well taken. South Aiken is very talented and well coached.

Cardinal and Blue? Aren't those USC Aiken's colors? Who do I know that would post about North Augusta and likes USC Aiken. Hmmm....

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Westside 1
West-Oak 0

C
bench
bench
C
Lexington - 1
Chapin - 0

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Anyone have results on the Blythewood-Aiken or Chapin-Lexington scrimmages?

The scoreboard now shows: Blythewood 2-3 Aiken

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Rock Hill-6
York-1

Parents are people too!

Doin' it the hard way...
brace
brace

2100 vs. 760 = The JV score is pretty impressive. Post it, Mike.

It is hard to beat the 1-14-10 formation that the South Aiken JV's play. If you would play 3 defenders instead of 1, you might allow less than 760 goals (which equals 1 goal per 5 seconds). Also, you might be able to drop 1 of the forwards back and achieve the same offensive results. Strategy is the key when you are starting 25 players.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

2100 vs. 760 = The JV score is pretty impressive. Post it, Mike.

It is hard to beat the 1-14-10 formation that the South Aiken JV's play. If you would play 3 defenders instead of 1, you might allow less than 760 goals (which equals 1 goal per 5 seconds). Also, you might be able to drop 1 of the forwards back and achieve the same offensive results. Strategy is the key when you are starting 25 players.

The 1-14-10 formation is actually a modification of Cantona's famous "flatback 8", and he should retain bragging rights for its success.

Doin' it the hard way...
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

Rock Hill-6
York-1

Parents are people too!

Some are.
Good to see you back bones.

C
Goal
Goal
C
This is how we kept it close against a quality Spartanburg side. We stepped on the pitch with an ATTACKING minded "flatback 8" with a holding and attacking center midfielder.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M

Barnwell 5
Irmo 1

I am just wondering how the talent level gets so much better between JV and Varsity...There was definitely a noticeable gap

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Barnwell 5
Irmo 1

I am just wondering how the talent level gets so much better between JV and Varsity...There was definitely a noticeable gap

Intensive development program between the 8th and 9th grades.

5 Freshmen starting on the varsity.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
Hey all-- YES-- the scoreboard is correct 3 for Aiken 2 for Blythewood. Good match and great final scrimmage-tune up before the season starts!

No- MAJOR/NEW injuries for once wooo hoo!!!!

tk

Tony King
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

No- MAJOR/NEW injuries for once wooo hoo!!!!

Lucky you. They never seem to stop for us. We've had 2 new knee injuries this week. That makes 4 total currently on the bench with knee injuries.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I knock on wood everyday after last years experience with knee injuries...we have gone three games and 4 scrimmages without an injury and I count my blessings everyday!!

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
First 3 years of the program-- no major injuries .... Just so far this year TWO ACL Meniscus (One a senior), One Concussion and a wrenched back-although that one was off the field- her car was T-boned by someone who ran a stop sign.....

BUT- they are all bouncing back and chomping at the bit to get back! Great kids on this team- great kids!

tk

Tony King
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
MAN IT AIN'T EVEN GOTTA BE ALL THAT STUMPY!

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
goal kick
goal kick
TK- Hang in there. Things will turn around for the better.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Westside 1
West-Oak 0

Region 1-AAAA Champs

You heard it here first...

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Shannon Forest- 9
Clinton-0

V
kick off
kick off
V
SA coach a good race car driver!! Vickers and Dale Jr. lying in wait!! Stealth, they didn't see us comin'...

DF is good, attacking third issues will be resolved soon I hope. A few more tweeks, we'll get there.

corner kick
corner kick
Fort Mill at Dorman, three thirty-minute periods:

1st period (usual starters play) 1-1
2nd period (mostly bench plays) Dorman 1-0
3rd period (starters play again) 0-0

The Lady Cavaliers are very speedy, aggressive, and well-coached

Doin' it the hard way...
brace
brace
Quote:

This is how we kept it close against a quality Spartanburg side. We stepped on the pitch with an ATTACKING minded "flatback 8" with a holding and attacking center midfielder.

Ever tried the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1? It provides strength up the middle.

L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

Lexington - 1
Chapin - 0

Is Heather Frederick still the coach at Chapin?

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Bishop England 2
Greenville 0

brace
brace
Quote:

Bishop England 2
Greenville 0

Scrimmage or game?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
ROH -- When in doubt, check the Eurosport Scoreboard out: http://216.27.84.134/cgi-bin/sicrtsc.pl?...w&Season=09

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

Quote:

Bishop England 2
Greenville 0

Scrimmage or game?

Scrimmage in combination with our team-building weekend in IOP. We had a fantastic weekend and I got everything out of that weekend I was hoping for. Hopefully the girls' bonding experience will be lasting for more than 48 hours now!

Congrats on your upset @ WHHS yesterday!

brace
brace
Quote:

ROH -- When in doubt, check the Eurosport Scoreboard out: http://216.27.84.134/cgi-bin/sicrtsc.pl?...w&Season=09

ROH = DOTW (Dummy of the Week) duh!

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Quote:

Quote:

Lexington - 1
Chapin - 0

Good question!

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
L
Goal
Goal
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lexington - 1
Chapin - 0

Good question!

So what's the answer? Anyone out there from Chapin that can help? I had heard that at the Viking Cup it looked like maybe she wasn't the coach anymore but I have not seen any announcements of a coaching change.

goal kick
goal kick
Heather Frederick and Rachael McGee are coaching the team this year. Don't know them personally, but they are the ones I was in touch with for scheduling this year, and they're doing a fantastic job based on the way their team was playing last night.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard