Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
It's time for the regular season to get underway. Rained out tournaments and tough scrimmages behind us, the following matches should whet our appetite as the 2009 season commences...

Monday 3/9

#13 Byrnes vs #3 Riverside
An early AAA vs AAAA clash to sort out some powerhouse teams
in the upper state.

#3 Dorman vs #11 Lexington
Spoiler Alert, possible, just possible, that this could be a state title preview many months in advance.

#4 Dutch Fork vs #15 North Augusta
Some posted that the Lady Foxes were having trouble in the attacking 3rd? North Augusta is ready to make a move, Dutch Fork has title aspirations. Great first week match!

Tuesday 3/10

#6 Irmo vs #8 Spring Valley
Classic Midlands match-up between two AAAA teams that have been strong for a looooooong time! Harbison vs the Northeast crowd for some bragging rights.

#2 Mauldin vs #4 Eastside
Eastside just beat a good Boiling Springs side 8-0. Mauldin trounced Greenwood 9-0. These could be the two most talented teams in the entire state, all classifications. Man, CESA must be doing something right!

#7 TL Hanna vs #9 Spartanburg
These two are hungry! Strong teams, great coaches, and loads of talent. Both squads will be competing for region titles and more in 2009.

Wren vs #13 Greenville
An old rivalry reignited, as Wren used to be a AAA powerhouse along with the Red Raiders earlier in the decade. The Lady 'Canes and Lady Raiders are both looking to improve their stock in 2009.

Wednesday - 3/11

#3 Dorman vs #10 Clover
#13 Byrnes vs #12 Fort Mill

The top two teams in the Rock Hill area both go up against strong Region II squads in an early test to see which may have the edge in Region III. Both Clover and Ft. Mill sport new coaches in 2009.

Thursday 3/12

Hillcrest vs #3 Riverside
A tough early match for a much improved Hillcrest squad. This is a team that was in the State Finals just 8 short years ago vs one that is a virtual lock every season. Great Greenville rivalries abound!

#3 Woodruff vs Southside Christian
The class of the A/AA Upper State vs another yearly contender. SCS looks to improve on its '08 season and Woodruff is out to stake its claim as the team to beat north of Columbia!

Friday 3/12

#5 Summerville vs #2 Bishop England
The class of the Coast (sans Hilton Head and Wando) take it to the pitch. A traditional AAAA power vs. the AA (or should we say AAA) juggernaut that only knows how to win.

#7 South Aiken vs Aiken
Great rivalry game! Ron has his girls poised for a STRONG season, and Dale Jr. has more talent than a three-armed monkey in a banana peeling contest. If only they could play the match at H. O'Dell Weeks, it'd be an ESPN INSTANT CLASSIC by 8AM Saturday morning.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

#13 Byrnes vs #3 Riverside
An early AAA vs AAAA clash to sort out some powerhouse teams
in the upper state.

Riverside 2-0

Quote:

#3 Dorman vs #11 Lexington
Spoiler Alert, possible, just possible, that this could be a state title preview many months in advance.

Really? Even after Dorman's 2-0 loss to 2-A Waccamaw at the Viking Cup?

Quote:

#2 Mauldin vs #4 Eastside
Eastside just beat a good Boiling Springs side 8-0. Mauldin trounced Greenwood 9-0. These could be the two most talented teams in the entire state, all classifications. Man, CESA must be doing something right!

Mmmm... Eastside lost to Dorman 4-1 in a scrimmage and Dorman was handled by 2-A Waccamaw, 2-0. Was the Dorman-Eastside scrimmage a fluke or was Eastside just experimenting a lot?

brace
brace
Was the Dorman-Eastside scrimmage a fluke or was Eastside just experimenting a lot?

SCRIMMAGE: Friendly that does not count.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Was the Dorman-Eastside scrimmage a fluke or was Eastside just experimenting a lot?

SCRIMMAGE: Friendly that does not count.

Quote:

Eastside just beat a good Boiling Springs side 8-0. Mauldin trounced Greenwood 9-0.

These were also scrimmages.

brace
brace
Eastside tied Wando. It was a game. It counted.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Eastside tied Wando. It was a game. It counted.

Good point. If a game is within 2 goals, I don't take the result seriously. You get 3 and 4 and 9 goal victories, put it in the books.

Oh, and never count out Das German.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Oh, and never count out Das German.

Genau!

brace
brace
Blue Ridge Women 1, Wade Hampton 0.

Great game Lady Tigers.

corner kick
corner kick
DF 3 N Augusta 1

Tomorrow...is too late.
world cup
world cup
Foxes found the net!!!!!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Shannon Forest- 1
Asheville Christian- 2

throw in
throw in
Any details on DF v NA?

Nothing is Impossible
S
throw in
throw in
S
Riverside 3 Byrnes 2

Brynes went up 2-0 in first 10 minutes of the game (1st goal in first 15 seconds) RHS had majority of play for remainder of the game. 2-1 at halftime RHS tied it in the first 5 mins Scored go ahead goal with 25 mins to go in 2H

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Mallard Creek (NC) 2
Nation Ford 0

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
South Aiken 2
Barnwell 0

Half-2-0

Great game played by the lady T-Breds

Question for clarification:

South Aiken keeper was yellow carded for using hands outside box. The ref said that she did not have to leave the field. I argued the fact that she was allowed to stay on the field but the ref told me he knows the rule and she is allowed to stay in the game. Both Mike and I thought she had to come off. Can someone please clarify the rule?

goal kick
goal kick
That is very impressive! Go Byrnes!

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
My team played game last season where the GK fouled my forward after the ball went out for a goalkick. The ref gave the keeper yellow card and the gk came off the field. The other team just threw gloves on a field player and played with 10 until ball came back out.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
The same thing happened to me last year and my keeper had to come out...that is why I argued the call, but of course the referee told me I didnt know what I was talking about even though I had the rule book on the sideline!

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Yea ive come to realize that some refs have decided they think they can run the world since they have the whistle. Not a lot of respect toward coaches anymore from some of these guys.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I know in our middle school game that the gk game out missed the ball and while outside the box punched it out of bounds. He was given a yellow and had to leave the game.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Blue Ridge Women 1, Wade Hampton 0.

Great game Lady Tigers.

#11 Wade Hampton!?!?!?

C
bench
bench
C
Dorman - 2
Lexington - 1
OT

brace
brace
Quote:

South Aiken 2
Barnwell 0

Half-2-0

Great game played by the lady T-Breds

South Aiken keeper was yellow carded for using hands outside box. The ref said that she did not have to leave the field. I argued the fact that she was allowed to stay on the field but the ref told me he knows the rule and she is allowed to stay in the game. Both Mike and I thought she had to come off. Can someone please clarify the rule?

Was the ref from Columbia? Was the ref's last name Jr? Were there a bunch of refs piled up in a heap behind him? Did he keep yelling "Yee Ha!"?

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 03/10/09 03:56 AM.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

From the NFHS Soccer Rules Book for 2008-09, in Rule 12, Section 8, MISCONDUCT, the penalty for being cautioned is spelled out as follows:

"PENALTY: A cautioned player shall leave the field and may be replaced. Should the team with the cautioned player elect to play shorthanded, the cautioned player may not re-enter nor be replaced until the next legal substitution opportunity."

That is it. There is no mention of an exception for the goalkeeper.

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Further question...why was the keeper yellow carded for using hands outside the box? Handling is handling; outside the penalty area the keeper is like any other player.
Handling is not a yellow card offense unless it's repeated and considered "persistent infringement of the rules." It's simply a direct free kick unless it's deliberate handling to stop the ball from going into the goal, in which case it's a straight red...so I don't understand how a yellow card even got into this situation.

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
Quote:

Further question...why was the keeper yellow carded for using hands outside the box? Handling is handling; outside the penalty area the keeper is like any other player.
Handling is not a yellow card offense unless it's repeated and considered "persistent infringement of the rules." It's simply a direct free kick unless it's deliberate handling to stop the ball from going into the goal, in which case it's a straight red...so I don't understand how a yellow card even got into this situation.

The ref's name was Dale III. He can't count to 11 anyway so he wouldn't have known whether the goalie was off or not. Now, spitting outside the goalie box is another matter....

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

In rule 12-8 on page 56 of the rule book is the following:

ART. 1...A player, coach or bench personnel shall be cautioned (yellow card) for:
f. unsporting conduct, including, but not limited to:
6. deliberate handball to stop an attack,

brace
brace
Is that NASCAR rule 12-8? Is rule 12-8 actually rule 4?

World Cup
World Cup
ROH, at 1:21 am in the morning I cannot believe you are not in the pits like the rest of us

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I stand corrected...I was going by the NFHS website's 2009 comparison of rules between NFHS, FIFA and NCAA, which didn't list handling among the NFHS reasons for caution (yellow). Peabody, you have now officially been bestowed with the mantle of He-Who-Has-Enough-Time-On-His-Hands-to-Dig-Through-the-Rulebook.

I've got good news and bad news...
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Peabody, you have now officially been bestowed with the mantle of He-Who-Has-Enough-Time-On-His-Hands-to-Dig-Through-the-Rulebook.

Actually, it took more time to type the post than it did to look up the rule.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Thanks everyone for confirming the fact that I was right about the call! Now if only the refs could get the rules straight instead of telling the coach, "Hey I know the rule and she does not have to leave the field!!"

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Oh and Dale, I have your water cooler hostage in the utility closet, if you let me win when I come to your place I will return it to you unharmed!!

brace
brace
Quote:

Thanks everyone for confirming the fact that I was right about the call! Now if only the refs could get the rules straight instead of telling the coach, "Hey I know the rule and she does not have to leave the field!!"

Impossible. If they got it right every time they would be coaches.

brace
brace
Quote:

ROH, at 1:21 am in the morning I cannot believe you are not in the pits like the rest of us

Running on fumes!

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Oh and Dale, I have your water cooler hostage in the utility closet, if you let me win when I come to your place I will return it to you unharmed!!

We're licking our wounds this morning. Bring that thing full of ice for our bruises!

throw in
throw in
Hillcrest V # 3 Riverside Thursday 12th March
In spite of Hillcrest not having a home field and also already playing competitive games on Monday 9th and Tuesday 10th March they will be good competition for Riverside and it will be a close game. They will be the surprise 4A team this season.

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Hillcrest is a very improved team this year. Stephanie Devita will be very difficult to contain in the midfield, and the rest of the team is aggressive, athletic, and composed. Coach Younts is doing a great job with them, and the girls should put themselves in position to have a winning season. They may have what it takes to earn a playoff spot in Region II, and by earn (Mauldin, Dorman, Spartanburg, Byrnes), I mean earn. There is no easy way to find wins against teams of that caliber.

1977, do you know the score of their (competitive) match vs Laurens on Monday 9th?

F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
3/9

Hillcrest 11
Laurens 0

World Cup
World Cup
I remember the days when Hillcrest and Mauldin reigned supreme and produced some memorable matches.

corner kick
corner kick
First year coach, Laney Younts is doing an outstanding job so far this season. He doesn't have a lot of depth, but he will get an upset or two in the region. I just hope it's not against the Mavs.

Only time will tell
R
throw in
throw in
R
Sorry to inform, but there will be no Riverside vs Hillcrest game Thursday. The schools are trying to reschedule for later in the year.

R
throw in
throw in
R
There will be no Hillcrest vs Riverside game Thursday. The schools are trying to reschedule for later in the season

throw in
throw in
March 10
Hillcrest7 Easley 0

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard