Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Hello,

I am looking for likeminded parents would like to discuss forming a U14 Girls Challenge Team to play in the Fall of 2009. Three nights of training would be mandatory with the possibility of a fourth night of strenth/fitness. If there is enough interest and response then a discussion or recommendations can be made as to coaching. The next step would be deciding of which club to be affiliated. Please e-mail me ar CraigCashion@gmail.com with any questions.

Sincerely.
Craig Cashion

E
bench
bench
E
Craig,

I think this is what this community need, a global idea, I am currently trainning with The Citadel Women's program and if you want I am willing to help you in your project.
contact me any time enriquerb93@gmail.com

Regards,

Enrique Rodriguez

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Enrique,

Thank you for your positive response. Polish off your resume. We will be looking at all possibilities for the coaching and training. Integrity, Experience, USSF License, References from Parents, Fellow Coaches, and Players will figure in the hiring process. Good Luck and again thank you for your interest.

Craig

C
throw in
throw in
C
Who is making the hiring decision?

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Who will be in charge of organizing the tunnel for after the matches?

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Comet,

I am hoping for 3 things.

1) Enough quality players commit to form a team.

2) Someone stands out in the application process.

3) Parents as a majority do the right thing and agree upon whom is best for the development of the team as a whole and not for a particular player.

Maybe Pie-in-the-sky but hopefully as much complaining that has been going on this blog and elsewhere people are willing to do something instead of talking about it.

Craig

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Loc Dog,

Whomever is not bringing the Juicy Juice and Orange Slices.

Craig

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
craig, good decision. don't want to put too much responsibility on the parents.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
So your idea is to put a team together with a coach for which you will pay and then and only then do you approach clubs and see if they will take the team as a whole and accept the coach? Bold move

I think you will need to have a club lined up before you do all this... as stated in previous threads egos and control will be a factor. Imagine you paying a coach more than the rate for coaches at the club you are joining? What about the fees to the club? what about the fact the club may already have an A team for that age group? what makes you the A team? have a winner takes all game?

More power to you but you have quite a few hills to climb

Don't forget there is a rule in SCYSA that a "club" must field at least 7 teams (I think) so making your own club unless you get some kind of waiver is out of the question.

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 03/10/09 03:47 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
With the numbers in the lowcountry..Most have one team in that age group so the players you recruit would probably come from one of the clubs you would want to join..First hurdle..Most posters or the ones that frequent this website are from the midlands and upstate..You have hit the road and get the word out..Not going to field a team from here.. but I like the effort..

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Loc Dog,

I think all the responsibility should lie with the parent. The problems usually arise from abdication of responsibility.

Craig

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Futbol,

Thank you for pointing out the obstacles we will face. A positive discussion of all areas is what is needed in order to succeed. Any ideas of future roadblocks would be extremely appreciated.

Craig

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Craig,

Now we're getting somewhere. Two problems/red flags:
1. The child should not have to depend on his/her parent for his/her soccer development/training/hiring coaches/ or organizing a soccer team.
2. The parent should not feel as if he/she are qualified to provide that or make those types of decisions. This seems to be commonplace in the lowcountry.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
CC
First you need to look at what is available

There are 5 teams in the U13 Girl brackets this season
JI, Summerville, MPSC 95 all play in the classic level
DISA, CUSC play in the challenge level
A quicklook shows that neither DISA nor CUSC seem to be up to par with the challenge teams (in fact a U12 MPSC team is the best of the low country in the challenge level U13 group)

Therefore your proposal would be to pull together the best players from these 5 clubs (we will get to Bridge and SAA in a bit)

Lets assume you are succesful...

Problem #1 - Sally who was a starter and potentially a star in her old team is no longer in the top 11. Mom and Dad cannot seem too find time to remove the rose colored glasses and now they are upset

Problem #2 - Sally lives in James Island and her parents have no desire to train 4 times a week in Summerville

Problem #3 - Sally's parents did not like the DOC (or something) at club A and that was the reason they went to club B. Now you are asking them to accept club A as they are the only ones that will take you.

We can go on and on... the common thread.... parents. The reason why CESA and CUFC as well as some others are "more succesful" is because parents are removed from the equation

This is what Bridge tried to do... You can argue all day about Clark Brisson and for that matter Andrew Hyslop when CESA Summerville almost became a reality. SAA's approach is to let all the better players from the coast from MB down to Savannah play in one team... how it is done you may want to check with Mr. Townsend

The truth is these guys are used to doing things their own way and Sally is not as big of a key as her parents seemed to think she is.

Until parents remove themselves and accept the fact that maybe their child is not the next Mia Hamm then you will have difficulty. If they are able to accept the fact that " the coach AND the club has the best interest of their child at heart" then you can begin to turn the tide.

At the end of the day it is all political and as with most politicians they will always say what you want to hear.

So be prepared to be first and foremost a great poltician because you will have to stroke many egos and those start with the parents in this case (remember you can't please everyone all of the time).

I wish you luck and hope that it works out, hopefully if it happens at one age group then others will follow.

Last edited by futbol(soccer); 03/10/09 05:57 PM.
B
goal
goal
B
The points raised thus far are essentially the tip of the ice berg.

Another point to be very mindful of as you attempt to gain momentum for what appears to be your version of a grass roots effort is the current seasonal year. The players in the age group that you are soliciting to rally behind the effort very likely are all rostered to one of the current clubs/teams. Someone/club that senses a potential loss of players could use that to extend into the "R" zone.

The magical part that you are going to have to figure out is how to make it convenient for all of the parents. Face it, very few soccer decisions are made by 13 year olds. Parents will all sing the same tune about commitment for the players sake, right thing to do, blah blah, but in the end, if it isn't convenient for mom and dad, it doesn't make sense.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
And I can honestly tell you that I have seen it twice personally and I am sure happens more than people think, but kids have been cut from teams not because of ability but because of parents.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Good to hear from you Bear... Maybe you can PM CC and let him know about your decision making process through the years

kick off
kick off
Craig,I am sure you are aware by now that finding a home for the challenge level player in the low country area is frustrating.

I do like your proactive approach of trying to work it out and I think you should give it a shot. It is not impossible to move an entire team from one club to another. It's been done locally several times.

Teams have moved with the coach and without. I would imagine the coach would have to be flexible enough to accept the coaching salary offered by the club. If you have the players, the club will find you a good coach.

In the last three years, it has been my daughter's experience that the only local low country club with enough challenge level players to field a team is BFA. Not tooting BFA's horn, just stating a fact.

MPSC was more than interested in helping field the team/provide good coaching, etc. However, all the parents could not agree on a change.

Parents say they want one club for the challenge player, but then are unwilling/unable to drive the extra distance for practices. It's been my experience that the parents are more of a road block than the club. We don't have any "bad" clubs, just too many of them!

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you like.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
4LUS
The only problem is that BFA does not have U13 teams nor does it have the "feedstock". So CC would have to pull from the other clubs and then approach BFA.

Although BFA did have a nice core of U13 players playing up in their current U14

T
bench
bench
T
Good call futbol.

BFA and MPSC U14 both have a core group of U13's playing U14. I would guess that what Craig is trying to proactively find is a place for those U13's playing up this Spring a place to play in the Spring of 2010 as those U13's in 8th grade or even 9th may not try out for the High School Team?

T
bench
bench
T
Why does it take a parent to state he wants to put together the best team possible in the LowCountry at U14 and not a Club to make the statement.

Is it considered recruiting when the season is finished this Spring?

As futbol stated above..the teams at U13 in the lowcountry are not the most successful in the state.

What is wrong with winning a state title at the Classic level next year if you are at the bottom of the chart in Challenge 09? I see the same size smiles on those kids AND PARENTS, as those winning a Challenge Championship.

Why don't the clubs agree that if you are in the bottom of the Challenge in the LowCountry at U13 this year, you will drop the Challenge effort next or atleast agree to field a joint team like two of the Clubs did for Classic U15 last year and won a State Title.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
After state cup is when clubs can recruit..I am not sure if it is illegal for a parent to recruit..Don't know if there is a rule on that one..There is nothing wrong with classic play..I just think some want more competitive soocer..Parents are not willing to go the extra mile and travel to where the nucleus of strong players are..If you play with the stronger players in your age group..you should develop more as a player..That's what parents should want from any club..Development!!

B
goal
goal
B
Yes, the recruiting extends to parents.

In response to topsides first question, every one of the clubs want to field the best team possible, hence what is termed egos, or whatever you want to call it, and why it takes parents to make their own decisions about what they feel is best for their child.

Once the state cup ends for the Spring season, players can be contacted.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Yes, the recruiting extends to parents.

In response to topsides first question, every one of the clubs want to field the best team possible, hence what is termed egos, or whatever you want to call it, and why it takes parents to make their own decisions about what they feel is best for their child.

Once the state cup ends for the Spring season, players can be contacted.

Not to say i do not believe you, but is it written somwhere so i can read exactly what the rule is on parents not being able to recruit.

I
goal
goal
I
I do not have a dog in the fight, as far as the low country goes. But here is my two cents. Development happens more in practice than it does in matches. That is why there is 3-4 practices per match. Matches are just to see what is broken. A great coach can develop kids at the classic level just fine. If he is a good, capable coach. My daughters have one of those. They play at the High School, and I will take their development over the challenge kids on the team. I would and will follow the best coach. The best team thing is partly about ego, living thru the kids. If you doubt me I have seen classic kids(remember the great coach) playing college players. I liked the result.

I have seen very well trained players go challenge to see them come back, behind some, or equal to the kids that stayed.

SCYSA had a chance to put a promotion relegation system in place. SC will stay behind, as long as coaches can simply choose and not earn their way up, and to a point it is only a marketing tool. You should not just have a choice.

I know the heavens will open up now, but let it rain! It is going to again this weekend on Columbia St Patricks day, will it be cancelled?

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

Craig,

Now we're getting somewhere. Two problems/red flags:
1. The child should not have to depend on his/her parent for his/her soccer development/training/hiring coaches/ or organizing a soccer team.
2. The parent should not feel as if he/she are qualified to provide that or make those types of decisions. This seems to be commonplace in the lowcountry.

Hmmmmmm.....I gotta respond to this.

1. The child's soccer development/training/hiring of coaches is 100% dependant on the parents MONEY. So yes, parents have a say in how their money is spent. Let's say that the parents see their child's team not play well, week after week after week...season after season. Are you saying the parent shouldn't stop and wonder what their money is being spent on? That's crazy....period.

2. The parent is the CUSTOMER of the club/coach/DOC. If the customer does not get a good return on the money they are spending....they are going to stop spending it at that club. That's common sense.

Now, with that said, it does not mean that every parent is realistic in their perception of their child's abilities. yes, there are tons of parents who think their child is the next Mia Hamm....when they are not. I don't believe that to be the case here, but I do know of parents in the C'ton area who are not realistic about their child's abilities. I know of some parents who have visions of college scholarships...and unless these kids undergo some sort of huge transformation, they are not getting these scholarships the parents think.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

After state cup is when clubs can recruit..I am not sure if it is illegal for a parent to recruit..Don't know if there is a rule on that one..There is nothing wrong with classic play..I just think some want more competitive soocer..Parents are not willing to go the extra mile and travel to where the nucleus of strong players are..If you play with the stronger players in your age group..you should develop more as a player..That's what parents should want from any club..Development!!

Yes, it is illegal for parents to recruit...but I can't imagine anyone from SCYSA considering what this parent did as illegal. He basically placed an "ad"...he didn't specifically target players by name.

H
brace
brace
H
I actually agree with you Papa Hatfield.
My oldest played several years in North Carolina which we all know has the relegation system. Kids knew they had to earn their way as a team up the ladder. They also had to play several weeks just to make it to a final 4 in the state playoffs. There are times when after being on a team for awhile and not getting anywhere better players do move on.
I think there are usually 2 top teams with 1 maybe each year that everyone knows will be in the state championship in SC. Kids and parents start to take for granted what winning a state and going to reginals and the big tournys means because it is too easy.
Hurst and Firstouch could shed some light on the nc side.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think the better players do find their way together..It might take til U16 or 17 but eventually they come together..
Good coaching is a plus but I also feel that players learn from who they train with..their teammates..Find the strongest group and you will get stronger or figure out you do not belong there..

B
goal
goal
B
Statement #1:

Parents pay utility bills, does that give them the right to tell the electric provider how to provide the electric service to their house? The second question is a little better, yes question what it's being spent on, but most parents aren't in a position to be able to demand anything from the utility. Wait, they live in an area that is served by a particular provider, so, they are stuck.....unless they move. But that probably isn't convenient.

Simple answer, parents don't have the right to question the operation of the club simply because they purchase a service. That said, this mentality is pervasive in the lowcountry.

Statement #2

This one kind of gets to the point of if you don't like the service provided, then move, or something.

For the next post, SCYSA will only act on something when asked. Go back and look at what I said, someone from a club that feels they are losing players, might make a claim to SCYSA that it was.

Placing an "ad" during season is no different than a club sending post cards to players. It's all advertising, but some may perceive it to be recruiting.

The SCYSA in the past has made some rulings that made many people scratch their heads. But hey, what do I know, I've never had to respond to complaints by clubs with the SCYSA.

Hardheaded,

In the admin manual, Code of Ethics/Conduct, section IV.

world cup
world cup
cht.....

Soccer Darwinism.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

Statement #1:

Parents pay utility bills, does that give them the right to tell the electric provider how to provide the electric service to their house? The second question is a little better, yes question what it's being spent on, but most parents aren't in a position to be able to demand anything from the utility. Wait, they live in an area that is served by a particular provider, so, they are stuck.....unless they move. But that probably isn't convenient.

Simple answer, parents don't have the right to question the operation of the club simply because they purchase a service. That said, this mentality is pervasive in the lowcountry.

Statement #2

This one kind of gets to the point of if you don't like the service provided, then move, or something.

For the next post, SCYSA will only act on something when asked. Go back and look at what I said, someone from a club that feels they are losing players, might make a claim to SCYSA that it was.

Placing an "ad" during season is no different than a club sending post cards to players. It's all advertising, but some may perceive it to be recruiting.

The SCYSA in the past has made some rulings that made many people scratch their heads. But hey, what do I know, I've never had to respond to complaints by clubs with the SCYSA.

Hardheaded,

In the admin manual, Code of Ethics/Conduct, section IV.

Ummmmmm...your comparisons are pretty weak...the utility company???? Huh? I'll stand by everything I wrote as your reply doesn't even address the issue.

As to the "recruiting" claim. Go ahead, ask SCYSA if what this man posted could even remotely be considered recruiting. Sounds like some people making a mountain out of a molehill.

Here is the section on recruiting:

IV. RESPONSIBILITIES REGARDING RECRUITING
1. A player may only be recruited after the completion of his/her State Cup competition until such time the player is
registered or rostered by the South Carolina Youth Soccer State Registrar/designee for the next seasonal year. (State
Cup competition includes: State Cup, Region Cup, and National Cup).
2. Unethical recruiting is defined as any intentional act whereby coaches or parents contact a player, outside of their
club, who is registered or rostered by the South Carolina Youth Soccer State Registrar/designee on another South
Carolina Youth Soccer team to entice that player to join their team before his/her State Cup competition is completed.
(State Cup competition includes: State Cup, Region Cup, and National Cup).
3. All South Carolina Youth Soccer rules pertaining to recruiting shall be strictly observed by the coaches and parents.
4. It is unethical for a player to be recruited or enticed from the Olympic Development Program (ODP) setting, either by
his/her ODP coach or any other coaches or parent during the seasonal year. (Refer to # 2)
5. When discussing the advantages of their organization, the coaches have an ethical obligation to be forthright and
refrain from making derogatory remarks regarding other coaches, teams, and organizations.
6. It is unethical for any coach to make a statement to a prospective athlete which cannot be fulfilled; illegal to
promise any kind of compensation or inducement for play; and immoral to deliver same.
7. Allegations of illegal or unethical recruiting are very serious and should be based on concrete facts rather than hearsay
and innuendo. While documentation of recruiting violations is essential, the use of videotape and other electronic
equipment is discouraged.
8. Any such allegations of illegal or unethical recruiting must be submitted, in writing, to the appropriate District
Commissioner with all supporting evidence to prove such activity.
V. PENALTIES / VIOLATIONS
Any coaches, players, parents or administrators found guilty of violating the intent, the spirit, or rules of the South Carolina Youth Soccer Code of
Ethics and Conduct, may be subject to probation, suspension and fines. Anyone found guilty of unethical recruiting may be subject to a minimum
one year suspension from all South Carolina Youth Soccer Activities. (All activities shall include being a spectator with the exception of when
their child is playing).
All matters shall be conducted in accordance with South Carolina Youth Soccer Discipline and Appeal Policies and Procedures.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Parents certainly do maintain the right to do what is best for their own child/player. I am speaking directly to the whole concept of parents creating their own team, hiring the coach, developing the standard/qualifications of the coach, etc. And, given the current state of affairs in the lowcountry, I would suspect this to be the prevailing attitude about the game and the profession. In fact, this board is full of these types. So, perhaps this thought process is not just a regional problem.

You know what, I don't have a direct interest in this. So, I say go ahead and form your team. In fact, get 15 other daddies and let them form their own teams, too. I guess CESA, CASL, Concorde, GSA, etc. have it all wrong.

Papa, get over yourself. Makes for a great, feel-good story. Sure, development can and does take place at all levels. And yes, it is great and expected that classic level players continue to enjoy the game and improve their status as a player. But, at the top level, the best players are who they are for a few reasons: individual make up, desire, and commitment to the game, competition within the team, competition on the weekend, coaching, club infrastructure/vision/involvement, and quite frankly, autonomy independent of non-soccer entities.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst...

Soocer Zen.

I
goal
goal
I
Loc Dog google View from the Rock, by Rocky Harmon

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Predictable, wise response there Papa

B
goal
goal
B
Then I missed the issue. What again is the issue? I thought it had to do with parents being able to essentially tell service providers how to operate. If the utility company doesn't work for you, pick another. If I missed the point, that too is unfortunate, but in the end, it really doesn't matter.

You know, I really don't have a dog at all in this fight, but obviously you do. I really don't care what the SCYSA has to say about it. But, then again, you think it's too much of a stretch to say that the posting of this "ad" was not an intentional act by a parent contacting other players? Stranger rulings have come out of the SCYSA.

Mountains out of molehills is just what has killed many good ideas in the lowcountry.

I
goal
goal
I
It is funny, Michael Jordon did not make his 9th grade team, David Robinson grew 6 inches while he was at the naval academy and Tim Duncan was a swimmer for heavens sakes. And everyone on this thread knows who, among these uber u13 girls are the next Mia Hamm. Loc Dog everyone should get over themselves. That was my POINT!!!!

Perfect practice makes perfect. As studied by the brains on being an expert. I will follow the expert coach. That is just me.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
CESA,CASL,CONCORD,GSA, don't have it all wrong..They just have numbers that the lowcountry can't compare with so don't compare them..

I
goal
goal
I
I do not see how you take it that way, you just want to argue, I guess. View from the rock just predicted this whole thread. If I am not mistaken it is the third or fourth time it has repeated on SCSOCCER.COM over the last 12 months.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Papa, this isn't basketball.

Second point - fair enough.

Following the expert coach - well, that logic, in and of itself, is also flawed.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
Papa definitely makes a great point - continuous, repetitive discussion. The interesting thing is how closely related this is to the results that take place year in and year out.

corner kick
corner kick
I love how any lowcountry soccer thread polarizes everyone--whether you're involved or not--lol.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
I
goal
goal
I
This is basketball with feet. Give and go, dribbling, shooting, sound of the net, that great sound of swish. Fouls. Free throw-Pks. Best team in the land both wear baby blue.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Kitten,
Yeah,
It's like everyone has the answers..Just do it our way..But no one is here living it first hand..They tried that already and it's not working ..

B
goal
goal
B
AK,

I guess that's because there never seems to be enough people that are willing to really implement the changes necessary, and continue to relive the past, rather than look to the future.

corner kick
corner kick
I think it has more to do with the fact that we can't get a handful of people on an online message forum to agree on anything other than 'something must be done' and the second someone tries to come up with an action as an answer, we turn the thread into an argument.

Yes, something must be done, but being rude or abrasive to each other isn't the way to help someone who is willing to put themselves out there and try to do what so many others talk about but never try.

We should stick with the posts that try to put up constructive points meant to help address the problem because bickering helps nobody and a strong Lowcountry team will help the state soccer scene as a whole. I commend the OP for at least trying to get a ball rolling (no pun intended ;-)) and those of you trying to help out with logistics and your own knowledge.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Quote:

Yes, something must be done, but being rude or abrasive to each other isn't the way to help someone who is willing to put themselves out there and try to do what so many others talk about but never try.

Once again, wisdom from she who listens well before she speaks.

Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die...pretty much sums up the idea of what everyone talks about as the ideal situation, but it's hard to get people to commit to the transition it would take to get there.

I've got good news and bad news...
T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

I think it has more to do with the fact that we can't get a handful of people on an online message forum to agree on anything other than 'something must be done' and the second someone tries to come up with an action as an answer, we turn the thread into an argument.

We should stick with the posts that try to put up constructive points meant to help address the problem because bickering helps nobody and a strong Lowcountry team will help the state soccer scene as a whole. I commend the OP for at least trying to get a ball rolling (no pun intended ;-)) and those of you trying to help out with logistics and your own knowledge.

I also commend the poster for coming up with a plan. Is it the plan that will work, hmmmmm - don't know for sure.

But one thing is very, very, very clear to anyone involved with Girls U13 AND U14 soccer in the Charleston area - something needs to be done. The poster is trying to do something, and that's a start.

If you are not familiar with what is happening with those age groups, then you don't understand the issue. Those familiar with the problem KNOW exactly what the OP is talking about. It's not an issue of:

1. My child is better than the other girls
2. My child is not getting enough playing time
3. My child should be playing striker and he has her stuck playing defense.
4. My child is yada, yada, yada......

This issue is that there are too many clubs in the area, and as a result the U13 and U14 age groups are diluted.

Numbers are a problem, BFA and MPSC both are fielding teams in the U14 age group....both teams are having problems with numbers...both teams have a combination of ages (U13 and U14) on the team. Then you have CUFC and DISA with U13 teams...both struggling in the Challenge league. Oh, and let's not forget Summerville and James Island U13's with a wide range of talent struggling in Classic I, and finally MPSC with a U13 team struggling in Classic II. And last but not least, we have the players from the low country traveling to Greenville on school nights for those players to play on CESA teams. I think I even heard there are some now going to Charlotte.

WE PARENTS KNOW that if all of those teams, all SEVEN of those teams were combined under one roof, some powerful teams could be formed. And there would still be a place for the girls that are Classic level, but all the Challenge level girls would be on a team. Look at CESA, they usually have TWO girls teams in each Challenge league. The low country has the number of girls to do that as well, but they are spread out all over the place.

The problem is each club wants the girls to come to their club. No club wants to loose their team to another club. The girls don't necessarily want to move by themselves to another club. Some of the girls on some of the teams talk trash about the girls from the other teams (we're too good to be on a team with you, yet their team is low on numbers so you really want to tell them to take a good long look at reality.)

Let's not even get into the coaching issue with one of the teams last year - but look at the damage done and how many girls are playing U14 in the low country????

So, we go, year after year after year with diluted teams all around the low country.

Did I miss anything????

T
bench
bench
T
I dont know who SoccerTimez is but I bet we must stand very close to each other on weekends or at one time we did because I could have wrote that whole thread above myself. I am so tired of the "angry" parents or coaches not understanding what we are trying to achieve here. Noone I know on the sidelines is saying thier child is the next mia hamm, OR the best soccer player out there but theres a reason we put our kids in the academy soccer program and PAY the coaches and club for training and development v.s the in-house team and that was to see our kids develop and play competitive soccer right NOW at this age level. We can all play in house soccer for much less money just for fun. I'd like to know who thinks the "Challenge Teams" are only for future Mia Hamms because we will have a few hundred disappointed parents in the lowcountry wouldnt we?

Last edited by thisissoccerlife; 03/11/09 02:02 PM.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Numbers has always been a issue for girls in the lowcountry.Not just this age group..How many U16 teams are in the area? Very few...if any. The 17 group started having issues when they where 13s also..The reality of it is..numbers are going to force some of the present U13 teams together sooner or later..The question is when and who's going to drive across town first..

A
throw in
throw in
A
Good Luck Craig. It will be very interesting to watch how this progresses.

T
bench
bench
T
So to “kittens” point, which I liked.
Call to Action was asked:
• Like minded parents looking to form a U14 Challenge in the Lowcountry.
• 3 Nights of training, maybe a 4th.

Craig…I make the Second parent with a kid that fits your description.

Can we get to 3, so we can get to 4….and so on.

As for those offering constructive advice, thanks and keep it coming.

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Topside,

Thanks for the support. I only regret that you cannot be the second but you can be the sixth.

Anyone up for Lucky 7 ?

Craig

hat-trick
hat-trick
So you are taking all comers? No tryouts?

L
throw in
throw in
L
I think I have the correct order...... Craig's child, who is a "nice" player has been associated with the following clubs

JIYSC to CUSC to JIYSC to MPSC to BFA (Current team?)

Which club will take the team as assembled by a group of parents..... SSC? DISA? (CESA? and just find a field)

Clinton Chamness
Coach 98 Luna-Chicks
(Soon to be past board member JIYSC)

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Coach P,

Please re read opening post, looking for likeminded parents.
Any other questions please e-mail, would love advice.

Thanks Again,

Craig

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
With the numbers we have in the lowcountry..alot of players have played for several clubs..My child has played for three and we are in good standing with all three..Everyone understood why we made the move..I don't believe the parents are going to put a team together..I think they just want to see who is interested in this as the numbers of girls dwindle as they get older..Your team will have the same issues over time..What club would turn a whole team away? How many times have we seen whole squads of kids follow their coach to another club? Happens all the time..As long as they are paying the bills..Don't paint this child or parent as a problem..It's a lowcountry problem

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 03/12/09 11:56 AM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

..What club would turn a whole team away?

A club I am affiliated with was approached a couple of years ago by a team that wanted to stay together and affiliate with our club. The response was that we would welcome the players to tryout with our club but we could not commit that they would be kept together as a team. If they tried out, each player would be placed on the team that was appropriate for her skills and abilities. The team decided to affiliate with a different club.

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Clinton,

Order is close.

JIYSC from U6 to U10 Boys, club discouraged her from playing with boys the next year.

Went to then affiliated club BFA 94GOLD Girls for 1 season.

Has been at MPSC since, currently 94 Elite.

She has guest played with many teams so that may have caused the confusion.

She is a defending CHALLENGE SPORT 3V3 National Champ.

I am a little proud of her.

I am not sure which club the team could be associated. I do have a fondness for all in the area for different reasons.
I definitely will not rule out JIYSC

I do appreciate the compliment but I do think "nice" is the last word I would use to describe her.

Thanks again for your concern.

Craig

L
throw in
throw in
L
Craig -

To everyone else:
(I have known Craig for a number of years - he has always done what is best for his child)

Not trying to get in the way, just laying it out there to see how it plays out.

Who knows how the new JIYSC board would handle this type of request. (if it came)

Best of luck

Clinton

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P,

Please re read opening post, looking for likeminded parents.
Any other questions please e-mail, would love advice.

Thanks Again,

Craig

I did read the opening post and I also read your subsequent post that said you were hoping for enough "quality" players to commit to form a team. I guess you have some other method other than tryouts to determine if the players are "quality". My experience has been that their is often a big difference between the mindset of the parents and the "quality" of the players.

T
bench
bench
T
I have to wonder if coach P is a local coach who would question "tryouts" and "quality" players. The biggest joke in the lowcountry is the tryout process for quality players. In the years I have been around I have seen players come on teams from other clubs middle year but never tried out, parents who have coffee with the coach and then announce what will happen next and then magically it does, kids who made the team because who they are friends with, coaches going into meetings and announcing to a group who should stay on a team because of the parents (Im not kidding). The best is a few years ago two coaches were ASKED to do tryouts but when they went back to tell the DOC who should move up and down they were told it wasnt up to them and the changes were never made. These coaches were were so mad they told everyone at the end of the year party (they didnt list kids names) and then theres the parents who qualify kids and bring them to tryouts, watch the kid do absolutley NOTHING at tryouts and yet surprise they made the team. Tryouts are great if someone qualified, from the outside and doesnt have a personnel tie. That is as fair as it gets. I NEVER would want my kids to make a team for any other reason then they worked hard and deserved it. For anyone out there who doesnt know CC's kid. I have seen her play and she is one of the best in this area for her age group so whatever she does she will do well. Good Luck CC

I
goal
goal
I
are kids getting cut while this is going on?

We would always choose to add kids if there is a spot, it is only about kids playing.

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Coach P,

I could not agree more about the differences between reality
and perceived reality. Its a numbers issue. If we had the numbers you have at your club or CESA, or CUFC then we could have multilevels of teams. It is a little cart before the horse. We will be lucky to attract enough to fill a team in the current atmosphere. Hopefully that will change
so future players and teams( Luna Chicks) can continue to play at a higher level.

Craig

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Thisissoccerlife,

Thank you very much.
She has done well inspite of her father.

Craig

hat-trick
hat-trick
No, I am not local to the Charleston area, but my daughter currently lives there. I am interested in all club soccer in the state and I was just curious about this newly suggested process of selecting a team. I was just asking if there would be tryouts and the response I got was they were looking for like-minded parents. I was curious as to how choosing like-minded parents would result in a process that was drastically different from the things you discribed in your post as being part of the "biggest joke".

I do hope this process proceeds to a point where it helps to improve the level of club soccer in the lowcountry and in the state in general.

And I don't know Craig and certainly was not referring in any way to the quality of his daughter's playing ability.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I must apologize. I guess I was confusing this effort with the desire by many in the low country to consolidate players from around the area instead of having so many different clubs diluting the talent pool.

Craig, the U14 girls team I coach is scheduled to play MPSC U14 Elite on March 22. I hope to meet you at that game. Maybe we can discuss some of this in person.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

No, I am not local to the Charleston area, but my daughter currently lives there. I am interested in all club soccer in the state and I was just curious about this newly suggested process of selecting a team. I was just asking if there would be tryouts and the response I got was they were looking for like-minded parents. I was curious as to how choosing like-minded parents would result in a process that was drastically different from the things you discribed in your post as being part of the "biggest joke".

I do hope this process proceeds to a point where it helps to improve the level of club soccer in the lowcountry and in the state in general.

And I don't know Craig and certainly was not referring in any way to the quality of his daughter's playing ability.

Since you are not from the Charleston area, you may not be aware of the "tryout" process down here. Again, since there are so many clubs...you are basically hoping enough girls show up at tryouts to field a team! You have some girls that go to more than one tryout. But the bottom line is finding enough girls to field a team.

I know what he is trying to do and it makes sense. And it will trickle up to the girls playing U15 next year. There are currently two U14 teams from the Charleston area, BFA and MPSC. Those teams are both fielded by true U14's as well as multiple U13's on each team. If all the U13's this year from BOTH those teams form a new team next year...neither BFA OR MPSC will have enough true U15's to form a team. It may force a merger of those two teams currently playing U14 - if these girls want to play soccer at all.

I would imagine when all is said and done that there will be a "tryout" of some sort. But the goal is to get the kids to commit to a team...and then a club. Right now we go to tryouts and commit to a club...and then they try and field a team. The result has been teams loaded with girls of multiple ages, and both of them with weak numbers.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

I must apologize. I guess I was confusing this effort with the desire by many in the low country to consolidate players from around the area instead of having so many different clubs diluting the talent pool.

Craig, the U14 girls team I coach is scheduled to play MPSC U14 Elite on March 22. I hope to meet you at that game. Maybe we can discuss some of this in person.

UMMMM...this is an effort to consolidate players from around the area instead of having so many different clubs diluting the talent pool.

The clubs have not made the effort to do so....or if they have, parents don't know why it has not happened, or what the problem is that keeps that from happening.

Craig's effort is to consolidate players from around the area into one team. I think his approach though is to form the team...then select the club. The current approach is to select a club...and then they try to form a team with what they have.

Someone jump in if I am wrong.....

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Had the opportunity for my daughters team to play Coach P's team this weekend. A draw was enjoyed by all. The teams played hard in the rain but more importantly with class and respect. I talked with him after the game and his team was a reflection of him. He is all about the girls. I look forward to his suggestions or recommendations anytime.

Sincerely,
Craig

hat-trick
hat-trick
Thanks, Craig. It was a pleasure to meet you and your talented daughter. Except that she gave us fits on the pitch. Believe me, we will be working on a way to stop #19 this Saturday. Looking forward to it.

M
bench
bench
M
Bridge FA 94 Just won the Volcan Cup and they are a combination of some of the best the Charleston area has to offer...why not join them rather than start another fragment dividing talent even further? Team has a bright future with a new coach.

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Hello mpsoccerfan,

U14 MPSC ELITE just won 10th Annual St. Patricks Tournament in Columbia this weekend. Some decent play there in the
rain.
The BFA team like the MPSC team has a large number of players that will be playing U-15 next year so the girls that are U-14 for next year will not have a spring season if they play U-15 and play state cup.
Thanks for the recommendation just not logistically possible for a Fall/Spring 2010.

Craig

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Hello All,

I have had offers of free training for players whom might be interested in playing U-14 Challenge next season. I know everyone is stretched thin with time committments but if you are interested let me know when you are available and I will schedule when we can have optimum participation.
CraigCashion@gmail.com

Craig

S
bench
bench
S
Cashion-Winning St. Patricks Day tournament in Columbia can not be compared to winning the Volcan Cup in Birmingham. You should know soccer better than that to compare the two. Most girls that will be 8th graders have the option to play JV soccer for their highschools if they choose to stay on a team that will have them playing up a year. What you are really doing is trying to find a 95 team not a 94 team? If that is the case where will it leave the 94 girls that you leave behind especially after MP has alienated so many girls from the 94,95 and 96's?

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
SCGIRLS94SOCCER,

I think I have been clear that we are interested in a team that would play U14 in 2010(next season). You could not be a true current 94 and play U14 next season.

I think the future U-15 issue is one that also needs to be addressed but by the 94 parents.

I am quite sure the BFA 94 Gold was the defending St Patricks Tournament Champions. How come it is not an accomplishment now that MPSC 94 Elite wins?

The girls can only play the teams the parents/coaches put in front of them. To try and diminish their achievement by comparing it to anything is petty and simpleminded. It also insults the other players and teams involved in the tournament and also the BFA 94 Gold past accomplishments in Columbia. I did not see you qualify the BFA accomplishment in Alabama as less of a win since they did not play in the upper bracket with their league partner Columbia United.
An accomplishment for a child should never be diminished by an adult.

I know MPSC has had issues in the past but I do not think I would go the alienation route when using BFA94 Gold as a standard. They are almost reaching a 200 percent turnover ratio in 2 years.

I would be more than happy to offer help but have my plate full with the 95 U14 issue for 2010

Way to go BFA 94 and MPSC 94, Great Weekend

Craig

K
bench
bench
K
To mpsoccerfan, are you in the Charleston area?

Do you have a daughter playing in this age group?

D
kick off
kick off
D
Willing to bet mpsoccerfan has a daughter playing for the Bridge, DISA and MPSC.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

Willing to bet mpsoccerfan has a daughter playing for the Bridge, DISA and MPSC.

Well this is getting fun! My guess is that mpsoccerfan has three daughters: oldest is at the Bridge, middle is playing for DISA and youngest is playing for MPSC (for now....)

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Cashion-Winning St. Patricks Day tournament in Columbia can not be compared to winning the Volcan Cup in Birmingham. You should know soccer better than that to compare the two. Most girls that will be 8th graders have the option to play JV soccer for their highschools if they choose to stay on a team that will have them playing up a year. What you are really doing is trying to find a 95 team not a 94 team? If that is the case where will it leave the 94 girls that you leave behind especially after MP has alienated so many girls from the 94,95 and 96's?

Dont knock the St. Patrick's tourny. Even though my daughter has played at some high levels, one of her best memories is playing in that tourny with a South Charlotte team. Still talks about it now several years removed.
Maybe we could get St. Patrick to get the snakes out of soccer?
Cant compare vulcan to the jefferson cup so what is your point?

Last edited by Hard Headed; 03/18/09 02:06 PM.
S
bench
bench
S
ok, i have been watching this from afar and have decided to put in my 2 cents. every club has positive and negatives, what i dont understand is why so many on this site are bashing other programs. if you are happy with your situation then great, if not, then get with craig or move your player to the spot you want them to be. but please stop attacking other participants. if you are not interested in what craig is trying to do then just go on with you life. if you have constructive input to help craig then please give it. this forum was to try to get likeminded people together, not bash the BRIDGE, MPSC, CUSC, DISA or any other club. keep your ego's to yourself.
just my 2 cents.

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
SoccerD

Excellent and wise first post.

Thank You
Craig

throw in
throw in
Quote:

ok, i have been watching this from afar and have decided to put in my 2 cents. every club has positive and negatives, what i dont understand is why so many on this site are bashing other programs. if you are happy with your situation then great, if not, then get with craig or move your player to the spot you want them to be. but please stop attacking other participants. if you are not interested in what craig is trying to do then just go on with you life. if you have constructive input to help craig then please give it. this forum was to try to get likeminded people together, not bash the BRIDGE, MPSC, CUSC, DISA or any other club. keep your ego's to yourself.
just my 2 cents.

I agree.A very reasonable response. Also even though everyone is entitled to their opinion,for whatever we want to get known out there or get done,can we just prioritize the fact that as prideful as our egos might make us,it is not the path the concerns or arguments we post on here are going to get anything done.

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
SCKICKER,

Still waiting on a resume. CraigCashion@gmail.com

Craig

K
bench
bench
K
dcscoccer21/southeastsc –

Please don’t attribute mpsoccer’s posts to me. I don’t live in Mt. Pleasant and I have no time to compile statistics about 13 year old girls playing soccer (no offense to those of you that do). I certainly disagreed with the former MPSC DOC on several issues, but those were addressed with him.

Most of all, I don’t sit back and take shots at people using an assumed identity. I have opinions and strong feelings regarding certain topics, but I have never (prior to this) posted anything on this or any other forum. Unlike you, I don’t need an anonymous forum to communicate.

Craig – best of luck!!

Regards,

Kieran

T
bench
bench
T
Kieran,
glad you responded to this, I saw this on here was going to respond by asking
"your point is" ???
Im not sure what they were getting at.
Everyone on here has the right to play where they want don't they? Last I knew parents still have the say where we want our kids to play and if that means different clubs so be it, I want my kid to play where they are learning, having fun, and have a great coach, is there something I'm missing?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
That came out of nowhere..DC and southeast must of hit a nerve.

G
bench
bench
G
Craig,

What are your qulaifications for "like-minded parents"? I hope this works out for you and Caroline, but I doubt it will last. Where does Caroline want to play and is she not happy with her team? MPSC should have left the 94 and 95 teams alone. Good Luck!!

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Goals,

There is not a mission statement if you will but I will try and explain my feelings.

Willing to be proactive instead of reactive.

Willing to do what is best for the development of the child even if it conflicts with the desire of the parent.

The ability to recognize and accept those realities.

Most parents understand what I am trying to accomplish and I can even understand resistance of some.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions you may have.

Caroline loves her team and has always felt a special bond with all the players she has played with in the past. She has learned from every coach she has ever had and does not have a bad word for any of them. That also makes decisions very complicated.

I feel she deserves to play with her peers. I have no problem with her ability to play up against any team. I feel sometimes that the 95's are subsidizing the 94's in the lowcountry and either the 95's need to come together which will force the 94's to do likewise.or vice versa.
This is why there are so many posts from parents of 94's on the thread.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Craig

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Hello All,

I would like to thank everyone that has shown support this past weekend. I would like to congratulate Coach P's Girls on their win Saturday over out team.

Thanks Again

Craig

Kickoff
Kickoff
Craig,
I see I'm a little late on this post but I want to applaud your pre-emptive effort. Leaving it in the hands of the same club/people that have created the current situation would be a disservice to the girls. Can you give us an update on any progress or tryout plans?

M
kick off
kick off
M
Yea Craig, give us an update on tryout plans and the coaches that you are interviewing?

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Jim,

I have been overwhelmed by positive responses from people all over the state and I am greatly appreciative of their advice and support.

I do believe everyone here has the best interest of the girl's in their heart but everyone is afraid of giving something up. I wish everyone could work together toward
what's best for the girls.

I can only comment about parent conversations at this time. Evidently clubs have complained to the governing bodies about me accusing me of recruiting.

I actually feel that I am on the right track if clubs not even in my area are complaining. If you are actually taking care of the needs of your players then you have nothing to fear from myself.

As of this time we do not have anything scheduled until AFTER State Cup. We are even considering USClub as a means of allowing the girls from different areas of the state to play together. Again all suggestions are welcome.

Thank You again for your concern,

Craig

B
throw in
throw in
B
I don't have a daughter or kids playing in the area so I'm not involved in this. But have you looked at http://www.cainhoyathletic.com/ and the "Hello South Carolina" post in this forum?

corner kick
corner kick
Cainhoy's looking for U6-U12 age groups-ish, not U14 classic/challenge league.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
but he is essentially looking to take his own team to a club and they did say that they would be willing to consider older/high level teams.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

I don't have a daughter or kids playing in the area so I'm not involved in this. But have you looked at http://www.cainhoyathletic.com/ and the "Hello South Carolina" post in this forum?

If you look at their website, which by the way is well-organized and impressive, Cainhoy Athletic will be offering in the fall, a micro soccer program for players 4-7 years old and U9, U10 and U12 teams playing in the LSYSA. A quote from their website states:

"We will consider transferring any team (or creating an elite squad) to compete at Select or Classic status if and when it is deemed appropriate. Longer term we anticipate or at least aspire to compete at the highest levels of youth soccer."

I would not expect a brand new club to initially transfer teams over during their first year of operation. I think it is smart on their behalf to start out smaller. set short-term and long-term goals (which they have appeared to have done) and then build their program up. If they get off on a good start and build their reputation, then I would assume the likelihood of teams transferring over to their organization might be more of a possibility.

Personally, I don't think the needs of a U14 girls challenge team would be met during the first season of operation of a brand new club in the lowcountry.......down the road for other teams, that could be a different scenario. Best of luck in their new endeavor!

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
from the sounds of things, CC is just looking for an umbrella to play under and fields to play on. if that is all that they need and the first year club can offer that, i don't see why it wouldn't work out with the exception of philosophical differences.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

from the sounds of things, CC is just looking for an umbrella to play under and fields to play on. if that is all that they need and the first year club can offer that, i don't see why it wouldn't work out with the exception of philosophical differences.

Actually, I beg to differ. I think CC is looking for more than that, as his daughter's team already has an umbrella and fields they are playing on now........

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Good Morning,

I do appreciate all the interest and suggestions for a club umbrella's. It will be great information when we get to that step. We are currently talking with parents and discussing what we as parents want for our daughters as well as their wishes. Again we are in the formative stages.

I am sorry I did not address MPSC#1's question as I was typing(slowly) as they were making their 1st post. Many coached have approached me offering support and assistance.

Skill levels have ranged from high school to european professional. Certification level from A license to D license.

I appreciate each and every one offering what they can for the girls benefit.

Thanks Again,
Craig

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
MPSC#1,

I forgot to add that I am at the fields Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and would love to meet with you any day to discuss any suggestions to our endeavor that you may have.

Also if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to e-mail me at CraigCashion@gmail.com

Thanks Again,

Craig

Last edited by CraigCashion; 04/03/09 03:14 PM.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard