Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
L
throw in
throw in
L
Craig -

To everyone else:
(I have known Craig for a number of years - he has always done what is best for his child)

Not trying to get in the way, just laying it out there to see how it plays out.

Who knows how the new JIYSC board would handle this type of request. (if it came)

Best of luck

Clinton

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P,

Please re read opening post, looking for likeminded parents.
Any other questions please e-mail, would love advice.

Thanks Again,

Craig

I did read the opening post and I also read your subsequent post that said you were hoping for enough "quality" players to commit to form a team. I guess you have some other method other than tryouts to determine if the players are "quality". My experience has been that their is often a big difference between the mindset of the parents and the "quality" of the players.

T
bench
bench
T
I have to wonder if coach P is a local coach who would question "tryouts" and "quality" players. The biggest joke in the lowcountry is the tryout process for quality players. In the years I have been around I have seen players come on teams from other clubs middle year but never tried out, parents who have coffee with the coach and then announce what will happen next and then magically it does, kids who made the team because who they are friends with, coaches going into meetings and announcing to a group who should stay on a team because of the parents (Im not kidding). The best is a few years ago two coaches were ASKED to do tryouts but when they went back to tell the DOC who should move up and down they were told it wasnt up to them and the changes were never made. These coaches were were so mad they told everyone at the end of the year party (they didnt list kids names) and then theres the parents who qualify kids and bring them to tryouts, watch the kid do absolutley NOTHING at tryouts and yet surprise they made the team. Tryouts are great if someone qualified, from the outside and doesnt have a personnel tie. That is as fair as it gets. I NEVER would want my kids to make a team for any other reason then they worked hard and deserved it. For anyone out there who doesnt know CC's kid. I have seen her play and she is one of the best in this area for her age group so whatever she does she will do well. Good Luck CC

I
goal
goal
I
are kids getting cut while this is going on?

We would always choose to add kids if there is a spot, it is only about kids playing.

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Coach P,

I could not agree more about the differences between reality
and perceived reality. Its a numbers issue. If we had the numbers you have at your club or CESA, or CUFC then we could have multilevels of teams. It is a little cart before the horse. We will be lucky to attract enough to fill a team in the current atmosphere. Hopefully that will change
so future players and teams( Luna Chicks) can continue to play at a higher level.

Craig

C
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
C
Thisissoccerlife,

Thank you very much.
She has done well inspite of her father.

Craig

hat-trick
hat-trick
No, I am not local to the Charleston area, but my daughter currently lives there. I am interested in all club soccer in the state and I was just curious about this newly suggested process of selecting a team. I was just asking if there would be tryouts and the response I got was they were looking for like-minded parents. I was curious as to how choosing like-minded parents would result in a process that was drastically different from the things you discribed in your post as being part of the "biggest joke".

I do hope this process proceeds to a point where it helps to improve the level of club soccer in the lowcountry and in the state in general.

And I don't know Craig and certainly was not referring in any way to the quality of his daughter's playing ability.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I must apologize. I guess I was confusing this effort with the desire by many in the low country to consolidate players from around the area instead of having so many different clubs diluting the talent pool.

Craig, the U14 girls team I coach is scheduled to play MPSC U14 Elite on March 22. I hope to meet you at that game. Maybe we can discuss some of this in person.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

No, I am not local to the Charleston area, but my daughter currently lives there. I am interested in all club soccer in the state and I was just curious about this newly suggested process of selecting a team. I was just asking if there would be tryouts and the response I got was they were looking for like-minded parents. I was curious as to how choosing like-minded parents would result in a process that was drastically different from the things you discribed in your post as being part of the "biggest joke".

I do hope this process proceeds to a point where it helps to improve the level of club soccer in the lowcountry and in the state in general.

And I don't know Craig and certainly was not referring in any way to the quality of his daughter's playing ability.

Since you are not from the Charleston area, you may not be aware of the "tryout" process down here. Again, since there are so many clubs...you are basically hoping enough girls show up at tryouts to field a team! You have some girls that go to more than one tryout. But the bottom line is finding enough girls to field a team.

I know what he is trying to do and it makes sense. And it will trickle up to the girls playing U15 next year. There are currently two U14 teams from the Charleston area, BFA and MPSC. Those teams are both fielded by true U14's as well as multiple U13's on each team. If all the U13's this year from BOTH those teams form a new team next year...neither BFA OR MPSC will have enough true U15's to form a team. It may force a merger of those two teams currently playing U14 - if these girls want to play soccer at all.

I would imagine when all is said and done that there will be a "tryout" of some sort. But the goal is to get the kids to commit to a team...and then a club. Right now we go to tryouts and commit to a club...and then they try and field a team. The result has been teams loaded with girls of multiple ages, and both of them with weak numbers.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

I must apologize. I guess I was confusing this effort with the desire by many in the low country to consolidate players from around the area instead of having so many different clubs diluting the talent pool.

Craig, the U14 girls team I coach is scheduled to play MPSC U14 Elite on March 22. I hope to meet you at that game. Maybe we can discuss some of this in person.

UMMMM...this is an effort to consolidate players from around the area instead of having so many different clubs diluting the talent pool.

The clubs have not made the effort to do so....or if they have, parents don't know why it has not happened, or what the problem is that keeps that from happening.

Craig's effort is to consolidate players from around the area into one team. I think his approach though is to form the team...then select the club. The current approach is to select a club...and then they try to form a team with what they have.

Someone jump in if I am wrong.....

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard