Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
hat-trick
hat-trick
Not trying to make a statement on one side or the other of this discussion, but I wanted to post some facts from last night's match.
- Irmo substituted freely starting 3 minutes into the match.
- Players who don't usually play much at all played most of the game.
- The score was 6-0 at the half and things sort of exploded quickly in the second half with the final score being reached with 20 minutes remaining.
- Eight goals were scored by players who had never scored before in an official high school varsity match.
- Another two goals were scored by non-freshmen players who have scored 1 or 2 goals in their varsity career.
- Irmo played the final 20 minutes with 8 players against 11 and possessed the ball in the defensive and middle thirds of the field.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
In Irmo's defense, I do not think they would ever choose to play OW. Unfortunately, they have to in their region. With region play, I am sure goal differentials will come into play at some point in their region. But it is hard to tell your subs not to play hard and not to score. I am not justifying the end result (but have been in similar situations). 10, 20 pass rule, scoring off headers doesn't work with teams like OW. Just sometimes there is nothing that can be done to even things out. Also, think about the Mom's and Dad's that traveled there and paid money to see the kid play that maybe doesn't get much PT otherwise. If anything should be done, take time off the clock or a mercy rule would be nice (Softball/baseball, etc...)

Last edited by Meredith; 03/18/09 02:57 PM.
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Not trying to make a statement on one side or the other of this discussion, but I wanted to post some facts from last night's match.
- Irmo substituted freely starting 3 minutes into the match.
- Players who don't usually play much at all played most of the game.
- The score was 6-0 at the half and things sort of exploded quickly in the second half with the final score being reached with 20 minutes remaining.
- Eight goals were scored by players who had never scored before in an official high school varsity match.
- Another two goals were scored by non-freshmen players who have scored 1 or 2 goals in their varsity career.
- Irmo played the final 20 minutes with 8 players against 11 and possessed the ball in the defensive and middle thirds of the field.

coach i understand how hard it is to keep a score down especially in girls high school soccer. i also see you tried to change things up so it didnt get even worse but your statement about it only being 6-0 at half is turning me against you even more. so your 2nd teamers put up 10 goals in 20 mins and that is ok? i know everyone wants to score in soccer and the kids that do not play much really want to but you just tell them not to shoot. i see where two of your starters both had hat tricks. i would assume they had the 6 goals in the first half and did not play after that. im sure they did not score in the second half.once you had a few second half goals you could of let some of those 2nd teamers score the next time you played a team that was not up to your level.
i have seen many times a Ft Mill team put up 9 and stop. a lot of times that was a first half score.

H
brace
brace
H
one more time.
Ft mill played in a region with rock hill,south point, lancaster,york and at times gaffney. they had to keep the score down and try to stay focused for the good teams. that is why they would cross the boarder for better teams.so i do not buy the who they have to play argument.
you can even things out when you tell players not to score.
Rock Hill girls are a prime example. they were on the end of Ft Mills generosity many times. they were also on the end of teams running up the score to pad their players stats. now this year even though they are not world class they are better.maybe a 500 team. they actually beat a team 6-0 this year and it could of been a lot worse. they stopped scoreing for the most part at half.4-0 at half and that could of been even higher.after all the years of getting hammered they still did not try to run up the score.

Last edited by Hard Headed; 03/18/09 03:27 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...i know everyone wants to score in soccer and the kids that do not play much really want to but you just tell them not to shoot. ...once you had a few second half goals you could of let some of those 2nd teamers score the next time you played a team that was not up to your level...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them on to the head coach.

H
brace
brace
H
i have one last thing to say,

i give a ton of credit to O-W for playing the game and not bailing out at half time. they may feel bad about the score but they can hold their heads high with the class they showed by playing on.

corner kick
corner kick
True story. I think it was 2005, FM at RH. I was bringing a water bottle to my ever-forgetful daughter (now a Clemson nursing student ) and I was walking behind the RH bench at halftime. One player turned to her neighbor and said "OMG, it's 9-0 and it's only halftime. How bad are they going to beat us?" Her friend reassured her: "They won't shoot anymore. FM always stops at 9."

The players knew, the parents knew, everybody knew. It's just the way it was done. No one else has to do it this way.

Doin' it the hard way...
H
brace
brace
H
i cant seem to let this go.since i have nothing to do and i am on my 3rd ice cream i would like to know how some of the irmo parents felt about this. did they feel bad? or did you enjoy it?

C
bench
bench
C
coach p, i know you weren't commenting on one side or the other, but your facts say it all:

they reached the final score within the 1st 20 min in the 2nd half, and then played possession with 8v11. obviously they couldve done this earlier right?

corner kick
corner kick
I dunno, HH. Maybe it's time for more ice cream. After all, there's still lots of soccer to be played and we all learn something everyday.

Doin' it the hard way...
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard