Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
brace
brace
No one makes anyone score more.
If someone score 10, 11, or 12, or 16, or 17, they sleep fine. If they didn't they wouldn't score that much.
There are a million ways not to score, and beating up someone past consciousness, past existence, doesn't really make you more of a person or more of a team.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

Quote:

Obviously we have Irmo haters. Stop the hate, just stop it I say! Why don't you follow with, "how did the Irmo team sleep last night?" All this needs to go into a different thread not the score posting one. If there was a mercy rule, no runs up the score, right?

I dont hate Irmo. mine has played with and knows some of the girls.none of this falls on them or is a reflection on them. im sure they slept pretty good last night.especially if it was a home game and they got to bed early.
i do not agree with the mercy rule.nothing was more painful when i played baseball than the game ending and i didnt even get to bat. i wouldnt want to drive on a bus for an hour and have irmo score 10 in 20 mins and the game be over. then we would argue about not scoring so fast to make the game last longer.

Then why argue the point at all. Great point Coach P! Touche!

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Quote:

No one makes anyone score more.
If someone score 10, 11, or 12, or 16, or 17, they sleep fine. If they didn't they wouldn't score that much.
There are a million ways not to score, and beating up someone past consciousness, past existence, doesn't really make you more of a person or more of a team.

What is your point?
04/16/08 * Greer (0-11-0) W 12-0

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I certainly don't think 9-0 at the half is merciful or is any less "running up the score" than 16-0 is in full time. It just sounds like FM has had more experience at these lopsided scores and knows how to "run it up" in the first half and then stop.

Point taken. With the regime change, perhaps they will stop at 4 or 5 in the future, or perhaps the quality of opposition will make it a moot point. In any event, all teams have to live with themselves, win or lose.

they may not stop at 9

Now, now, HH. Give the man a chance.

we are at peace. i just had to toss that in.
wish i could see the game tonight.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

[..nothing was more painful when i played baseball than the game ending and i didnt even get to bat...

But it would be OK to go up to bat and have the coach tell you you could not hit?

my coach told me that often and he was right. i struck out a lot.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I really meant it when I said that I did not want to be on either side of this. It is a difficult situation either way. Yes 16-0 is ugly and, frankly, I was embarrassed by it. But I'm not sure beating someone up for 40 minutes and then playing keep-away for another 40 is any less ugly or less embarrassing. The method of subbing and position switching used in the first half last night kept the score to 6-0. That method did not work in the first 20 minutes of the second half and it got bad quickly. Should something have been done a little sooner to slow things down? Probably. But I thought things looked just as bad in the final 20 minutes as they did in the previous 20 although no scores were put up on the board. I'm just not sure there is a good solution to this issue.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[..nothing was more painful when i played baseball than the game ending and i didnt even get to bat...

But it would be OK to go up to bat and have the coach tell you you could not hit?

my coach told me that often and he was right. i struck out a lot.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
The point of my post was not that I think the OW soccer team has to pay for bball scores. My thought was OW probably expected it and Irmo is not on the msg board bragging about it.
I think my point was made by other posts that the score could have easily been tripled. If they played 8v11 the entire game, the score could still be higher.
I am a Wando and BE fan. So I guess that makes Irmo my rival.
As for OW's future....a look at their schedule says they are in for much of the same. If you throw out the 0-1 forfeit scores they usually put up, I'm guessing their avg score this year will be 0-9. There are many talented athletes at OW, but I don't think club/rec soccer is big in Orangeburg.
I like the idea of the time/mercy rule.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

The point of my post was not that I think the OW soccer team has to pay for bball scores. My thought was OW probably expected it and Irmo is not on the msg board bragging about it.
I think my point was made by other posts that the score could have easily been tripled. If they played 8v11 the entire game, the score could still be higher.
I am a Wando and BE fan. So I guess that makes Irmo my rival.
As for OW's future....a look at their schedule says they are in for much of the same. If you throw out the 0-1 forfeit scores they usually put up, I'm guessing their avg score this year will be 0-9. There are many talented athletes at OW, but I don't think club/rec soccer is big in Orangeburg.
I like the idea of the time/mercy rule.

There were some constructive discussions with the OW coach after last night's match about promoting youth soccer in the area and getting some of the players involved in club soccer. We are looking at ways that we can help in that effort.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

I really meant it when I said that I did not want to be on either side of this. It is a difficult situation either way. Yes 16-0 is ugly and, frankly, I was embarrassed by it. But I'm not sure beating someone up for 40 minutes and then playing keep-away for another 40 is any less ugly or less embarrassing. The method of subbing and position switching used in the first half last night kept the score to 6-0. That method did not work in the first 20 miutes of the second half and it got bad quickly. Should something have been done a little sooner to slow things down? Probably. But I thought things looked just as bad in the final 20 minutes as they did in the previous 20 although no scores were put up on the board. I'm just not sure there is a good solution to this issue.

coach p i have watched some bad teams at times. usually my kids were on one of them. i do understand as crazy as it sounds that it is hard not to score at times. then it leads to the argument about making a team look bad by playing keep away. irmo just happened to have that problem last night and it got them in the line of fire.
maybe this argument will have coaches trying to keep the score down even harder. then we can wait for the argument when a team is up 6-0 at half and tries not to score anymore and the opposing team comes back to win 7-6

Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard