Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#115467 03/18/09 06:48 PM
F
fuller Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
F
I would like everyone's thoughts on who you feel is the best player in the state

F
fuller Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
F
personally. i think that Daisy Walker from DHS in Roebuck SC is the best, most well rounded player in AAAA play this year.

K
kick off
kick off
K
I think a logical approach to take to answer this question would be to talk about a group of girls that have signed with or are verbally committed to D1 soccer programs. If you agree with the premise that college coaches know how to evaluate talent, then it makes sense to me to start with this group to get the converstation started.

These are the players that I know about. I'm sure I'm missing some so please feel free to append:

Casy Craft TL Hanna HS - CofC
Sara Schaidle (sp?) Mauldin HS - CofC
Morgan Hert Mauldin HS - Clemson University
Rae Wilson JL Mann HS - Unviersity of South Carolina
Katie Tate Woodmont HS - University of Southern California
Katy Moore (sp?) Eastside HS - Furman University
Alex Ramsey Rock Hill HS - LSU
Morgan Thomas Southside Christian HS - Coastal Carolina
Alica Blackwell Travelers Rest HS - Presbyterian College

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Keeperwatcher: Whilst I do not question your list I do find your logic interesting!

What if a player decides not to play soccer in college? Also, can we really say that all DI players are better than DII players? In addition, there are many college coaches out there that couldnt coach their way out of a wet paper bag, never mind rate a player! (Ever heard the comment big, fast and strong!)

So, whats my point ... Everyone will have their opinion and they are really all relative (to who knows what)!!

Carry on.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Never said my methodology was the best. I simply put forth one approach to get some names of players out there that could be in a discussion of best players in the state. As my post stated, I'm sure I'm missing some names and asked for more names to be appended as folks saw fit or discuss these players further.

throw in
throw in
Kind of tough to actually rate this one at this level. There are alot of factors involved and it would be tough to zero down on anyone unless there was a challenging and standardized platform to judge not only the skill but the character of the player. It is a tough one i should say.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Another player to add to the pool for consideration:

Taylor Parker Fort Mill HS - University of Kentucky

F
fuller Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
F
Daisy Walker can dominate any and all of the players listed above. What else ya got?????

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Daisy Walker can dominate any and all of the players listed above. What else ya got?????

I didn't see that dominance when we scrimmaged Dorman. Good player with great speed, but not dominant.

K
kick off
kick off
K
I also have seen Daisy play numerous times, several of which were in games against players listed above. There's no doubt that she is a very good player but to say "Daisy Walker can dominate any and all of the players listed above", is a big stretch in IMHO.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
fuller - interesting that you come out this week and write such information. Give us specific when and what she did? Dorman relies on 19 players and Daisy will be the last one to tell anybody she is the best all around. Why don't you come out and tell everyone who you are, or better yet PM me. I would not be suprised if you are supporter of another high school team. Good try!

World Cup
World Cup
Definitely a motive behind the post. Terrible to try and do that to a high school teenager.

brace
brace
Or anyone.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
S
Throw In
Throw In
S
Well... I'll bite. I'll put my two cents worth in this thread.

I have watched Rae Wilson play soccer for many years - always as her being on the opposIite team from my daughter. She has greatly improved her play, especially over the past 2 seasons. Then, I watch her put 4 goals on James Island in the Taco Bell 1st round this year. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a player in SC who is better that Rae. Maybe that's why Shelley signed her at USC...

brace
brace
Rae can play.

K
kick off
kick off
K
No doubt Rae is an oustanding player and a really good kid to boot. Funny that she's a D1 committ and on my original list. Again, D1 committs/verbals don't necessarily mean they are the best players but it sure makes sense to me that they at least have to be in the discussion.

brace
brace
She is just a player. Great young lady. Great parents. Great team. Great club. All around, pure great.

Best of all, fun to watch, especially when she is not in your region anymore!

K
kick off
kick off
K
Glad to see some of the in-state kids getting the chance to committ and play at the major programs in the state.

brace
brace
Some of the programs are really doing this state a service. Then, one coach says "I just recruit in Kentucky and Georgia" and one says "We don't recruit in SC." Records in both cases show it wouldn't hurt.

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
Keeperwatcher,

My comment about Rae really has nothing to do with her being a D1 commitment. It has to do with watching her play over the years and seeing her impact on the game. Her being a D1 player only adds to her list of accomplishments IMO.

I will say this about your comments on D1 commitments maybe being the best soccer players... I am not sure that all of the top players are on that list. I do think that Rae is the best player - but that is not because she is a USC recruit. Likewise, there are many top soccer players that, for whatever reason, are not D1 commitments. That does not mean that they are not some of the top players in SC. It may mean that they have decided for themselves that this is NOT what they want to do. In my book, that doesn't mean that they are not a top SC player.

brace
brace
Quote:

Keeperwatcher,

My comment about Rae really has nothing to do with her being a D1 commitment. It has to do with watching her play over the years and seeing her impact on the game. Her being a D1 player only adds to her list of accomplishments IMO.

I will say this about your comments on D1 commitments maybe being the best soccer players... I am not sure that all of the top players are on that list. I do think that Rae is the best player - but that is not because she is a USC recruit. Likewise, there are many top soccer players that, for whatever reason, are not D1 commitments. That does not mean that they are not some of the top players in SC. It may mean that they have decided for themselves that this is NOT what they want to do. In my book, that doesn't mean that they are not a top SC player.

Ditto, from ROH.

H
brace
brace
H
is she the kid that plays club at CFC?

K
kick off
kick off
K
Everyone is hung up on the D1 committ thing in my original post. I was responding to a question; "who do you think is the best player in the state"?

I used a premise to formulate an approach to answer this question. BTW, no one has addressed the list of players that I put forth but instead have chosen to explain why D1 committs don't reflect the best way to approach an answer.

Suffice to say that every player on my list are all outstanding players and all will play at the highest levels. An argument could be made for each one.

Agreed?

S
coach
coach
S
[Promise I won't post again for a while - insanely busy - but when I heard about this thread I couldn't pass it up.]

I couldn't give my opinion for the previous two years on this type of thread because I thought that I might be perceived as biased. But as someone who called out on SCSoccer.com early that Julie Bolt was in 2005 the best player in the state and in 2006 called out that Blakely Mattern was the best player in the state, I missed being able to give my opinion.

2009: Rae Wilson
2010: Alex Ramsey

By the way -- I don't think it's particularly hard to tell most years. SC isn't the most soccer-rich state in the world in terms of female soccer players.

I will make a disclaimer; I could overlook a keeper - didn't spend a decade watching keepers.

P.S. Keeperwatcher - I hope this responds to your original question - between you and me - the "D1 commit" thing offends people because they perceive it to be elitist rather than conforming to their egalitarian ideals. And there's no doubt that there could be a best player who chose not to play in the large division 1 schools - or even continue playing soccer at all. Statistically in my opinion you're correct; I think that it's just resistance to a "profiling" approach that causes the minor kerfuffle.

brace
brace
Great choices. Alex Ramsey is playing at Rock Hill this year as I understand, and that may explain a large part of their rise. Alex is indeed a player.

F
goal
goal
F
I agree with Rae Wilson for 2009. Did Alex Ramsey play for a different school last year, or did she just not play for her high school?

brace
brace
My understanding is that she scored 4 goals as a freshman in the first half of her first game, was taken out by the coach and told she was hogging the ball, and never played again that year or last. This would need to be confirmed, but I believe is pretty accurate from a reliable source.

CESA Premier club player if I am correct.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Quote:

[Promise I won't post again for a while - insanely busy - but when I heard about this thread I couldn't pass it up.]

I couldn't give my opinion for the previous two years on this type of thread because I thought that I might be perceived as biased. But as someone who called out on SCSoccer.com early that Julie Bolt was in 2005 the best player in the state and in 2006 called out that Blakely Mattern was the best player in the state, I missed being able to give my opinion.

2009: Rae Wilson
2010: Alex Ramsey

By the way -- I don't think it's particularly hard to tell most years. SC isn't the most soccer-rich state in the world in terms of female soccer players.

I will make a disclaimer; I could overlook a keeper - didn't spend a decade watching keepers.

P.S. Keeperwatcher - I hope this responds to your original question - between you and me - the "D1 commit" thing offends people because they perceive it to be elitist rather than conforming to their egalitarian ideals. And there's no doubt that there could be a best player who chose not to play in the large division 1 schools - or even continue playing soccer at all. Statistically in my opinion you're correct; I think that it's just resistance to a "profiling" approach that causes the minor kerfuffle.

Shibumi:

I certainly can't argue with your selections of Wilson in 2009 and Ramsey in 2010. Both are outstanding witnessed by their college committments and number of offers they received.

I also don't argue with your choice of Bolt in 05 (Clemson) or Mattern in 06 (South Carolina) being the top pick in those years.

I frankly don't understand why anyone would be offended by my D1 comments. Again, I never said that being a D1 committment and being the best player were synonymous.

If there are players out there that either chose not to accept an athletic scholarship to a D1 school in order to attend a D2 or even chose not to continue playing soccer at all after HS, then please put their names forth in nomination as the best player.

I stand by the logic of my approach to answer this question as being sound.

F
throw in
throw in
F
Trying to pick the "BEST" player does not make a lot of sense. There are too many factors and too many differences among the players. Is the best player the top scorer? Does the best player make their teamates better? Is the player the most effective? Is the best player the one who shuts down the opponent? Plays multiple positons? And is this all related to just their high school games or club games? All of the players listed (and many others) have special qualities and allow them to dominate games at different times. To say that it is fairly easy to say who the top player is in a given year is a stretch

K
bench
bench
K
Casi Jones would be in my top 10. She didn't sign D1 but could have.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Agreed. She is my biggest concern this year

brace
brace
Caitlin Fountain plays for me, but I do honestly believe she is the best goalkeeper in the state. Signed with North Greenville University.

C
Coach
Coach
C
One, two, three, four, I declare a Keeper War!

(We'll let 'em battle it out while we hover over a table of Frogmore.)

I've got good news and bad news...
F
goal
goal
F
Like a Caitlin Robinson for TL Hanna (AAAA - 05-08), (though I know these are two entirely different players as far as style of play, etc.) Casi Jones has been one of (if not THE) leading scorers in the state in AAAA all four years of her high school career. That is a very hard feat to accomplish, given that after her 9th grade year coaches knew what to expect and she has still been able to produce the same numbers.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Quote:

Is she choosing not to play in college at all?

corner kick
corner kick
I can't believe Sarah Schaidle has been left out of this discussion. She is a big reason Mauldin made it to the finals last year and is off to a 3-0 start this year.

Last edited by Mavs Soccer Dad; 03/20/09 04:16 PM.

Only time will tell
corner kick
corner kick
I believe Casi is going to Lander. Also, I think Airport has been a 3A school during her 4 yrs, but I could be wrong.

Tomorrow...is too late.
F
goal
goal
F
Sorry, I knew (and meant to type) that!

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Shibumi returns.....very nice.

Insanely busy? No doubt Shibumi has found a way to make a fortune in this wretched economy. When registration opens for "Shibumi 101" (class instructor....Dr. Shibumi) I am first in line!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
V
kick off
kick off
V
Yes, Casi is going to Lander. Lander's list attached.
http://www.peachbeltconference.org/sports/wsoc/2008-09/news/20090317luwsocsignees

Pretty good talent SC high school talent in this non D1 group I'd say.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Yes, Casi is going to Lander. Lander's list attached.
http://www.peachbeltconference.org/sports/wsoc/2008-09/news/20090317luwsocsignees

Pretty good talent SC high school talent in this non D1 group I'd say.

That IS a strong signing class for Lander! Shaw, Vickers, Gauthier, Shearer, Jones, etc.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

My understanding is that she scored 4 goals as a freshman in the first half of her first game, was taken out by the coach and told she was hogging the ball, and never played again that year or last. This would need to be confirmed, but I believe is pretty accurate from a reliable source.

CESA Premier club player if I am correct.

she played her whole freshman year but did not play her soph year.

Last edited by Hard Headed; 03/20/09 07:29 PM.
E
bench
bench
E
Maggie Bosley, South Aiken, is the best girl player in the state hand down.
if her team could finish she would lead the country in assit

World Cup
World Cup
Assit? That's what I tell a player on game day if they miss a practice

corner kick
corner kick
Now is that *synonym for rear end* and "it" as in the bench, or is it a slurred combination of "aaaah" *I'm angry, grr* and "sit"?

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
World Cup
World Cup
That depends on the opponent

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

ouch. You just beat a tough region foe 5-2 and you get this?

Tough crowd you got there Dale.

CJ #115514 03/21/09 01:37 PM
P
bench
bench
P
in my opinion Alex Ramsey has nothing on players like
- Danielle Shaw - Spring Valley
- Maggie Bosley - South Aiken
- Ashley Kosobucki - Irmo

L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
Quote:

Let me preface this post by saying Shibumi, I am not challenging you! Just my two cents worth on this subject that seems to come up every year:

I haven't been following girls' high school soccer long enough or in depth enough to know much about years past or all the players mentioned each year but, in my opinion it IS difficult to tell who the "best" player is, at least some years. Based on what, I guess I should ask? Goals scored? Assists made? Great defender? Goals not allowed? Leadership? Ability to read the game? Making your team better? Speed? Conditioning? Skill? Size? Great header? Work ethic? Strength? Coachability? Etc, etc... or all of the above, I guess? I also think there are many variables that make this somewhat difficult to determine at least some years. For instance, this year. Variables such as position played (a midfielder or defender or goalie I would think is less likely to lead the state in goals scored than maybe a forward but could be just as great a player or better), level of team surrounding the player (a great player on a weak team is less likely to get as much notoriety as a great player on a better team and less likely to accomplish as much and less likely to be recognized as "great"), level of competition (great player playing against weak competition is going to rack up more stats or fare better than great player against better competiton so that could be misleading). Not to mention, how can I say who the best player is if I haven't even seen them play? I guess I'm being too picky.

I have not seen Rae Wilson play. I have only seen Alex Ramsey a few times. But they are both playing this year so who is better since we are talking best SC player? No, there is really no need to answer that question- I am sure they are both great in their own way!

I have heard Morgan Hert and Katie Tate are great goalies and I've always thought Emily Kellam was a great defender though I've never seen her play for her high school team (Dutch Fork).

I also think India Robinson is a great player, although I don't know if she even plays for her high school team (Camden). She's only a 94 birth year and plays for CESA Girls Premier 93 so I think we might be hearing more about her over the years.

Last edited by live and learn; 03/21/09 09:14 PM.
CJ #115516 03/22/09 01:28 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Quote:

ouch. You just beat a tough region foe 5-2 and you get this?

Tough crowd you got there Dale.

God plants the mentally challenged everywhere so we all have equal chances to build up our patience

D
kick off
kick off
D
Quote:

Apparently, he is comparing her to players with only one hand, Dale.

Last edited by D-Money; 03/22/09 01:58 AM.
brace
brace
Quote:

I can't believe Sarah Schaidle has been left out of this discussion. She is a big reason Mauldin made it to the finals last year and is off to a 3-0 start this year.

May very well be the best offensive player in the state.

World Cup
World Cup

Oh, well D, that's a different story!!

P
goal kick
goal kick
P
how has no one mentioned haley hutchens for irmo? she isn't playing during this high school season due to injury but is signed to CofC.

brace
brace
Quote:

Oh, well D, that's a different story!!

Uninjured.

P
kick off
kick off
P
must be some player to almost lead the country in assists

C
kick off
kick off
C
Live and Learn: You are correct, India is a very good player. She does play for her high school team, Camden High, in her spare time when she's not with CESA. She played as a freshman last year in four games and scored 7 goals and is off to a hot start this season as well!

P
bench
bench
P
Best Players in the state by postions

Defence - kyle maguire( DF) and abby Frick (irmo)
mid field - danielle shaw (SV) and sara simpson (RNE)
Forward - ashley kosobucki (irmo)

world cup
world cup
Well.....I think we named them all.

Lock the thread.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I also think India Robinson is a great player, although I don't know if she even plays for her high school team (Camden).

According to The State newspaper, India scored 6 goals last night for Camden.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Quote:

I also think India Robinson is a great player, although I don't know if she even plays for her high school team (Camden).

According to The State newspaper, India scored 6 goals last night for Camden.

why?

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
I'm with Hurst66....

Please Lock This Thread!

L
Goal
Goal
L

dude, she (India) plays for camden. get it?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard