Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

I question any post that has the however-well-intentioned gall to imply that in times where many coaches are digging into their personal pockets just to keep their own programs supplied and running, that anyone who does not donate to one particular event is not supporting "the cause." "The cause" goes far beyond a couple of all-star games and supports far more players that never get a chance to be in one than those who do.

Sorry, Wayne...I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I can't support or condone this kind of strong-arm or guilt-trip tactic. Let those who can give, give what they can, and let those who have given what they can to "the cause" live in peace with themselves...whether they've given to YOUR particular favorite slice of "the cause" or not.

Sorry Will, but I'm going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on this issue.

Many of the people that "talk" a big game on this Message Board fail to ever show up at any events much less contribute anything monetarily - on all fronts. It takes a lot of time, energy, effort, and yes - money - to pull off the all-star events in prep soccer. I know you are familiar with football's all-star festivities because you have chosen to ingrain yourself at a "football school". That being said, I can assure you that Berkeley, etc., contribute financially to their respective all-star games.

I also want to point out that several coaches have been elected to SCHSSCA Board positions or been in charge of an All-State, Clash, or North-South committee (some coaching that very same year) and not even shown up to the selection meetings. Unreal!

It's time for high school soccer coaches to stop treating this sport as a second tier athletic endeavor and putting it first and foremost on their coaching agenda. When that threshold is walked over then prep soccer in the Palmetto State will have earned the respect it deserves from fellow coaches, administration, media, etc.

It's put up or shut up time for a lot of individuals, programs, soccer booster clubs, etc., to ensure that our senior student-athletes continue to get the same opportunities as other sports. One way in doing so is to "go that extra mile" if needs be to make a commitment to the "whole prep soccer scene".

World Cup
World Cup
It sounds the like mentalities of many are conflicting with the views/opinions of a few. I don't care how you sugar coat it, mafia tactics and the like won't unite the coaching group. If you have to resort to something like this to fund two games, maybe two games aren't worth it.

S
Throw In
Throw In
S
Quote:

It sounds the like mentalities of many are conflicting with the views/opinions of a few. I don't care how you sugar coat it, mafia tactics and the like won't unite the coaching group. If you have to resort to something like this to fund two games, maybe two games aren't worth it.

I think the games are worth it. I think they mean alot to the girls - which is what the game is about.

If monies are needed, why doesn't the committee reach out to the general public as well. I will be more than glad to give to this cause as much as I can.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
I am a little new to this group...what kind of costs are we talking?

Last edited by Jonathan; 03/26/09 02:01 AM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Sorry Will, but I'm going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly on this issue.

Many of the people that "talk" a big game on this Message Board fail to ever show up at any events much less contribute anything monetarily - on all fronts. It takes a lot of time, energy, effort, and yes - money - to pull off the all-star events in prep soccer. I know you are familiar with football's all-star festivities because you have chosen to ingrain yourself at a "football school". That being said, I can assure you that Berkeley, etc., contribute financially to their respective all-star games.

Kyle,

In most cases we are on the same page, but we may have to agree to disagree on this one. Or just disagree.

First of all, I am not in the front row of football's all-star festivities because I am at a "football school." I have absolutely nothing to do with the football program except as a fan, supporter of the student athletes, and sometimes security worker at the games. The only thing I have chosen to "ingrain" myself in at Berkeley High School is a soccer program that was struggling to bring itself from nothing into something, and the young people that program affects. In those, I am most firmly entrenched, and I think the same can be said for many coaches in many programs around the state. To insinuate that anyone who does not contribute to two specific soccer events is somehow negligent and guilty of not "putting [soccer] first and foremost on their coaching agenda" is to ignore the hours, effort, and financial contributions coaches around the state pour into other areas of prep soccer, without which some of the all-stars you wish to honor might not even develop. The "extra mile," Kyle, is not always in the same direction for everyone...and you don't get a team on your side by louding out defenders for not scoring just because that's what the forwards get credit for doing. Everyone on a team contributes in the way they are best able.

That said, I do agree that more support is both desirable and necessary--and on many fronts not just limited to the all-star games. I don't disagree at all with the call; I do take issue with the tactics. There is a huge difference between a call for more assistance and an accusation of inadequate commitment; one tends to garner more widespread support than the other.

When all is said and done, I and others can sleep very well at night knowing where our priorities, commitments, efforts, and yes, even money are going in regards to supporting the overall success of soccer as a sport and the young people who choose to play it. I DO think the all-star games are worth supporting, and if I can see my way clear to contribute to that specific cause, I will. If I decide it's more of a pressing need to spend my money on gear for students who need it to play and equipment to replace worn-out stock, and try to give some kids who will never see an all-star game but love the sport something to feel good about, I'll do that too.

If you want help with your pet project, present the need and the figures, and ask. But don't imply that people who bust their butts day in and day out for soccer are somehow uncommitted and inadequate.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
That out of the way, seriously, to business. Perhaps if people understand the need clearly...

What is the approximate cost of doing each of these all-star games "right" so that the players are properly treated and recognized?

What is the current estimate of contributions? How much of a shortfall is there that needs to be made up?

What size average donation from school soccer programs would adequately cover these costs? What corners are cut if they are not met? What other sources of funding are there, if any?

Hope you understand, especially in the current financial state of many districts and athletic programs, people are watching where every dollar goes, and if a dollar gets spent, the powers that approve it want to know that it is going to fill a specific need. Give us an idea of just what is needed, and we will be better able to make a decision on how to help support that need.

I've got good news and bad news...
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

That out of the way, seriously, to business. Perhaps if people understand the need clearly...

What is the approximate cost of doing each of these all-star games "right" so that the players are properly treated and recognized?

What is the current estimate of contributions? How much of a shortfall is there that needs to be made up?

What size average donation from school soccer programs would adequately cover these costs? What corners are cut if they are not met? What other sources of funding are there, if any?

Hope you understand, especially in the current financial state of many districts and athletic programs, people are watching where every dollar goes, and if a dollar gets spent, the powers that approve it want to know that it is going to fill a specific need. Give us an idea of just what is needed, and we will be better able to make a decision on how to help support that need.

Again, this has been hashed over again and again at the SCACA Summer Clinic, the SCHSSCA Winter Clinic, the All-Star selection meetings, etc.. There are several vociferous posters on this Message Board that fail to attend any of those events. Simply put, that is not being "professional" in your duties. Maybe those coaches feel the domain of their particular high school program is as much as they want to contribute to the sport.

To run the North-South Soccer Classic and Clash of the Carolinas properly the financial need is approximately $25-30,000. Fortunately, the past two years (and again in 2009), Columbia United FC has come to the forefront in its support of high school soccer as the title sponsor - contributing $5,000 each to both events. So, all told (and without consulting anyone), I would suspect the "shortfall" currently stands at $15,000 - that is a lot of money to make up in a short time with today's economy.

However, a "proper" All-Star event would be to bring the players and coaches in on Thursday to have four training sessions prior to the Saturday matches. That would also allow the SCHSSCA the opportunity to partake in a local charitable organization as a service project and would provide ample time for all to enjoy the banquets associated with each event. Other prep sports such as baseball, basketball, and football pull this off with great aplomb every year - soccer continues to function these events but on a thread-bare budget (as in $0 carry over from year to year).

Just to run some numbers by you - if every school in the S.C. High School League contributed $50 to the "cause" then with roughly 200 high school members that would be $10,000 as start-up money. So, pony up and take some of that gate money, concession money, player's fees, etc., and send it in to support South Carolina high school soccer.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I have tried to refrain from nothing but posting scores, but this topic hits to close to home.

Not being professional is the use of extortion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion) Saying that if we don't contribute we are keeping soccer a second tier sport. I am trying my hardest to grow soccer at Blue Ridge, and at the same time make it a respectable program. If we wanted to be second tier, we would not have created JV teams at Blue Ridge this year. We sure wouldn't be encouraging our players to play club in the fall, to attend camps in the summer, participate in tournaments, to get thier ref licenses, etc... We would just show up, practice our hour and go home.

Fact of the matter is, not all schools are equally funded! I am greatful for the money I recieve from my athletic department. But like many, it is not nearly enough! So to try and make up the difference we set out in 2-3 fundraising efforts each year. If we don't break even, any idea who picks up the difference? That would be me, out of my own wallet. But since I am a teacher and coach I am making some serious jack and my family (wife and 2 children) doesn't mind me giving money to soccer instead of them. Fortunately our athletic department pays membership for all our coaches into the SCHSL. But I can foresee that pretty soon, that may come out of my own money! Times are tough for everyone!

You are right, $50 would be great from each school. I would love to be able to give $50 to the cause. But right now I am still very much in the hole with my budget. I would like to think I would have an extra $50 at the end of the season when all bills are paid to contribute to "the cause." But like "the cause" themselves, I haven't had a carry over with money yet! If someone has extra money and wants to donate to a cause, PM me and I'll give you the address for Blue Ridge. But please no personal checks, cash or money orders only!

I am sure not all schools use thier money in the same manner. Gate money barely covers our refs each game. If there is profit, it goes into the general account to help the other "second tier" sports cover thier costs. No one runs a concession stand for us, and we don't collect player fee's.

I would love to be involved in a meeting to select teams. But with all the coaching responsibilities I already have, my weekends I spend with my family are precious! For me, family comes before soccer, and always should for everyone! Driving to Columbia to listen to people argue thier case about an individual I have no idea about is not how I want to spend a Saturday. Perhaps there is a better way to select the players. Each area (Upstate, Columbia, Charleston, Grand Strand, etc...) could have a meeting to select players. Then send a representative to Columbia for a final meeting.

Perhaps at the summer clinic there should be a session on how to run a successfull soccer program. Topics will include:
1) How to extort money from children.
2) How to make those that work thier butt of to try and create top tier programs feel second rate.
Just to lighten the meeting.
3) Shin gaurds...what is the correct size?
4) Which team is the greatest of all time?

Now having said this, I have probably just alienated all my players with the chance of ever making an all-star roster. The chance of gaining respect for a program that is making strides. But I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way, just the only one dumb enough to speak up!

Coach Sharpless Blue Ridge High School
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Guess ill add my two cents. Im sure most programs and coaches dont want to "pony" up the money if they are at smaller schools because they know good and well that if they have a deserving player he or she prob will not get voted to the roster. I know of one girl inparticular that 2 years ago led the entire state in goals and points (More than Enzo Martinez as well) but did not get voted to either game after she was nominated. Im sure they looked at teams she played against but that should not matter. She was a senior and deserving but was passed over by players from bigger programs. Im just saying im sure thats a partial reason why most smaller programs dont contribute

C
kick off
kick off
C
Excuse me for not being well versed in the soccer all star games, but having coached three additional sports over my career I do know a little something about all star events in both big budget sports and "second tier" sports. Do we not require a fee to be paid if a player is chosen? I know many all star games require a $50 or $100 fee once a player is chosen. Is there not a big named company that would step in and contribute as a major donor every year. I cannot believe that with all of the soccer playing children in S.C. not one parent or even a former high school player has a connection to a major company that might be willing to lend a helping hand-and I'm saying that knowing the economy is tough right now! Do we sell a program at the event and sell advertisements to try to make money? I know many sports do this as well...Just a few thoughts, but what do I know..

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard