Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Excuse me for not being well versed in the soccer all star games, but having coached three additional sports over my career I do know a little something about all star events in both big budget sports and "second tier" sports. Do we not require a fee to be paid if a player is chosen? I know many all star games require a $50 or $100 fee once a player is chosen. Is there not a big named company that would step in and contribute as a major donor every year. I cannot believe that with all of the soccer playing children in S.C. not one parent or even a former high school player has a connection to a major company that might be willing to lend a helping hand-and I'm saying that knowing the economy is tough right now! Do we sell a program at the event and sell advertisements to try to make money? I know many sports do this as well...Just a few thoughts, but what do I know..

See that article on the front page of scsoccer.com.

Clash of the Carolinas HS Donation

Clash of the Carolinas Program Ad

NSSC Friends Sponsorship

NSSC Program Ad

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Excuse me for not being well versed in the soccer all star games, but having coached three additional sports over my career I do know a little something about all star events in both big budget sports and "second tier" sports. Do we not require a fee to be paid if a player is chosen? I know many all star games require a $50 or $100 fee once a player is chosen. Is there not a big named company that would step in and contribute as a major donor every year. I cannot believe that with all of the soccer playing children in S.C. not one parent or even a former high school player has a connection to a major company that might be willing to lend a helping hand-and I'm saying that knowing the economy is tough right now! Do we sell a program at the event and sell advertisements to try to make money? I know many sports do this as well...Just a few thoughts, but what do I know..

Yes, a fee is required this year due to players not showing up the last couple of years we have taken this measure. It's outlined on the SCSoccer.com main page - All-Star Games section.

Home Depot was a very generous sponsor of the North-South Soccer Classic for more than a decade. When they pulled their sponsorship due to corporate decisions (i.e. Home Depot Center, etc.) it really cut the NSSC deep and we've been "year-to-year" since.

We do sell an event program and have sponsorship/advertisement opportunities. Again, located on the SCSoccer.com main page.

As for some of the other comments in this thread ... I know that each coach is responsible to his/her program first and foremost, but there are opportunities for each program in the state to contribute in some fashion to the "greater good of prep soccer" via financial donations, labor for the events, planning and direction of the games, etc. that simply go undone.

There is a huge difference between a call for more assistance and an accusation of inadequate commitment; one tends to garner more widespread support than the other.

We have asked many times for assistance. Little is returned. Sometimes a spade must be called a spade.

What is the current estimate of contributions? How much of a shortfall is there that needs to be made up?

What size average donation from school soccer programs would adequately cover these costs? What corners are cut if they are not met? What other sources of funding are there, if any?

These questions have been addressed ad nauseum in this forum, at each Summer/Winter Clinic, etc. Ignorance is not the issue here, but perhaps a lack of listening and following through is the problem. There have been many an idle promise or good intention made, but little substance is delivered in many cases by folks on this board. The proof is often in the pudding and I personally take lip-service very lightly -- I believe in actions speaking louder than words.

As for not running a concession stand at a soccer match, would football or basketball or baseball for that matter not offer one as well? This is a money-maker and could be where that elusive $50 or $100 comes!

hat-trick
hat-trick
I really hate that this has gotten to the point that it has with people feeling coerced and made to feel like second class citizens if they can't contribute. I believe most of us appreciate these all-star events and would like to see them continue. At the winter clinic we were asked to consider each soccer program donating $100. I took it as a request at that time and not a coercion. Let's get it back to that level. If half the soccer programs in the state could come up with $100 each, it would go a long way toward covering the short fall. If you don't have the $100 in your budget, can you consider spending a little time on the phone or in the community selling a half page ad? As far as I know, $100 is $100. As the high school soccer community of dedicated coaches, parents, and fans, can we see if we can make this happen? No coercion intended, just an appeal.

Last edited by Coach P; 03/26/09 01:49 PM.
corner kick
corner kick
I personally have never seen an All-Star game or known anyone thats played in one where i play. I think 100$ is an easy contribution to make in order to make sure kid's can play at higher levels against people thier talent. I will most definatly talk to my Coach today and see if the team can come up with 100$ if not i will contribute myself in some way.

World Cup
World Cup
So are we complaining about the Clash or the North/South donations? I can't tell from the post.

Goal Kick
Goal Kick
excuses excuses...It's like the poor kid on the team who can't pay for team gear. Do you just leave it at that? Or do you ask that player to provide some type of service to pay for that? Can the kid not pay atleast some of it?

I would assume that Wayne is not asking for all or none! Are the people in charge going to turn down $20? I would hope not. I would also believe that there is more than money that needs to be spent. How about time and energy?
If you can't come up with the money, give your time! If one school can have atleast 6 coaches from their staff, work and give their time for a state championship game that they were two pk's away from playing in, then atleast one coach from every program should be able to contribute their time for these games. I know that's a little off topic, but the same rules apply! It seems to me, that it is the same people every year working to promote this sport statewide, not to mention at their own programs.

Maradona good, Pele better, George Best.
World Cup
World Cup
6 Coaches? That in itself is amazing.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

So are we complaining about the Clash or the North/South donations? I can't tell from the post.

Wayne listed the programs that have contributed to the Clash but he also mentioned the need for contributions to both events: the Clash and the North-South game.

brace
brace
Quote:

6 Coaches? That in itself is amazing.

I know right? While you're out there warming up with your girls, some programs actually have coaches! It's ridiculous! It almost makes me angry!!!

Last edited by The Hulk; 03/26/09 03:15 PM.

Hot N Ready - 5 Minutes or less.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...While you are at it, ask your coach if he or she is a member of SCACA and of the SCSCA...

The membership list (at least as of 10/29/08) is here.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard